~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ENOLA GAY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maurice Pearson

Nov 23, 2009, 10:42:15 AM11/23/09

enola gay fatman
omd enola gay free
pilots of enola gay in hiroshima
enola gay timline history
tibbets enola gay nov 1
category enola gay wikimedia commons
the enola gay controversy vidoe
wwwii enola gay
enola gay wikipedia la enciclopedia libre
hiroshima enola gay
enola gay chronology
enola gay crew photo
hiroshima nagaski enola gay
enola gay organisation
current location of enola gay
remebering the enola gay protests
what was the enola gay
gen tibbets in the enola gay
enola gay lyrics
enola gay former exhibition information
history of teh enola gay
enola gay controversy
the piolit of the enola gay
return enola gay signed
enola gay squadron
surviving crew of b-29 enola gay
enola gay exhibit
tom millard enola gay
enola gay omd remix
photo enola gay
commander enola gay
enola gay b-29 bomber
enola gay miniature
planes that accompanied enola gay
ww2 veterans and the enola gay
enola gay atomic bomb
enola gay 23
enola gay offends japanese
enola gay co-pilot robert lewis
enola gay suicide
enola gay monument in nevada
enola gay bombing of hiroshema
enola gay airplane
enola gay tibbits
enola gay bocks car
photos enola gay
description of the airplane enola gay
cost for restoring the enola gay
enola gay american air base
radiation dose of enola gay crewmembers
tibbits enola gay
enola gay smithsonian exhibit
history about the enola gay
pilots of enola gay in hi
amazon ca enola gay bomber books
crew of the enola gay enola
cost of restoring the enola gay
enola gay and the atomic bomb
enola gay tibbets flush
enola gay anagram
pilot enola gay
utah phillips enola gay
enola gay offens japanese
enola gay and morgan in wwii
the enola gay discriptions
il duce and enola gay
men who flew on enola gay
enola gay band
enola gay links
enola gay nose art
enola gay and the apocalypse equation
captain tibits enola gay
enola gay date of bomb drop
pilot talks about enola gay mission
movie about hte enola gay
contraversy enola gay
enola gay crew members
avion inc and enola gay
controversy enola gay
enola gay the decision
enola gay survivors
crew enola gay
enola gay b
robert a lewis obituary enola gay
b-29 enola gay
enola gay painting
the pilot of the enola gay
enola gay offens japanses
where is enola gay
enola gay co-pilot
enola gay navigator
pilot of enola gay
enola gay bad memories
enola gay religion
enola gay display
enola gay in use
omd enola gay mp3
tv movie enola gay
captain lewis enola gay
restoration of the enola gay
enola gay omd
enola gay after tinian
what was enola gay famous for
enola gay smithsonian
crew of enola gay
movies enola gay flight
enola gay pilot
flight of the enola gay
photgraph of the enola gay
crew survivors of the enola gay
little boy enola gay
history of the enola gay
crew from the enola gay
enola gay the man
family guy enola gay clip
the movie the enola gay
enola gay b-52
enola gay
enola gay wikipedia the free encyclopedia
photo of enola gay
enola gay the plane
bob carron enola gay
who named the enola gay
enola gay fayman
enola gay god
enola gay fingerpicking tablature guitar
enola gay 98
enola gay fighter escort
enola gay b-29 superfortress
enola gay signed paul tibbets
tibbets enola gay pilot
film enola gay
enola gay wallpaper
enola gay restoration project
enola gay facts
enola gay plane wwii
captain lewis enola gay death
stories of enola gay victims
for the enola gay exhibit
movie the enola gay
paul tibbets enola gay
enola gay exhibit japanese side
what is enola gay meaning
enola gay markovpedia the future encyclopedia
u2 enola gay
enola gay memoralbilia
enola gay wiki
copilot of enola gay
b 29 enola gay fighter plane
enola gays missions
enola gay ww2
enola gay plane
enola gay song
crew of the enola gay
enola gay aircraft
enola gay description
enola gay bombing
the pilot of enola gay
enola gay tippet
enola gay fight plan
enola gay model
enola gay models
gary and enola gay
co pilot enola gay
the enola gay plane of ww2
scooter enola gay
pbs enola gay dvd
enola gay and fat boy
how was the enola gay bui
enola gay at the smithsonian
piolots of the enola gay
co-pilot of enola gay
enola gay sash
hiroshima crew enola gay
enola gay history
enola gay mp3
gay airplane pilot enola
japanese protest the enola gay display
enola gay video
enola gay museum
enola gay billy crystal patrick duffy
enola gay wikipediea
who flew the enola gay
enola gay weight
return of the enola gay
photograph of the enola gay
description of the enola gay bomb
tibbets enola gay
the enola gay
bob harvey enola gay
enola gay victims protest
the enola gay exhibit
tibetts enola gay
norris enola gay
omd enola gay
artifact restoration enola gay aft fuselage
tibbets autograph enola gay authentic
movie enola gay
men on the enola gay
enola gay pilot enola homosexual pilot
why enola gay name
history abouyt the enola gay
enola gay new wave
omd enola gay music video
where is the enola gay housed
enola gay little boy
enola gay left
enola gay cargo
enola gay harold in el paso
enola gay monument
enola gay photos
why was the enola gay nam
enola gay pics
facts on the enola gay
enola gay b-29
o m d enola gay
where was the enola gay built
enola gay b-17
enola gay controversy tool
pictures of the enola gay
interpret enola gay
hiroshima pictures enola gay
enola gay crew lewis
paul tibbetts enola gay obituary
the enola gay controversy video
ground crew airplane mechanics enola gay
map of enola gay flight
enola gay model bomb
withheld information enola gay
enola gay music
enola gay piece
steve harvey enola gay
enola gay is anagram
sash enola gay
enola gay omd mp3
enola gay pitchers from wwii
protests of the enola gay
airplane mechanic enola gay
enola gay of world war 2
photograph of enola gay
andr s calamaro enola gay
enola gay name
flight of enola gay
image of enola gay
enola gay and bockscar flight plan
enola gays cargo
what does enola gay stand for
enola gay photographs
lyrics to enola gay
atomic bomb enola gay
enola gay paul tibbet
enola gay altitude at bomb release
the enola gay controversy resources web
enola gay and avion
enola gay and memphis in wwii
enola gay missions
enola gay bomber
protests to the enola gay display
enola gay restored
video of enola gay in flight
the b-27 enola gay
enola gay pictures
wwii enola gay
enola gay rosary
robert lewis enola gay
enola gay plane and wwii
picture takers on the enola gay
b29 bomber enola gay
enola gay in wendover nevada
enola gay altitude
the enola gay controversy about overview
enola gay perspective
enola gay garber
enola gay atomic bomb dropped
enola gay blueprints
enola gay suicede
surviving crew enola gay

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

SteveMR200

Nov 25, 2009, 7:00:01 AM11/25/09
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 07:42:15 -0800 (PST), Maurice Pearson wrote in
message:
<0b7e24ef-5439-4d31...@g23g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>:

> ENTER HERE:

>paul tibbets enola gay pilot

We had feelings, but we had to put them in the
background. We knew it was going to kill people
right and left. But my one driving interest was
to do the best job I could so that we could end
the killing as quickly as possible.
--Paul Tibbets, Jr. (1915-2007)
(The pilot of the Enola Gay, which dropped an atomic
bomb on Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945.)
_Los Angeles Times_ [November 2, 2007],
"Paul Tibbets, Pilot Who Bombed Hiroshima, Dies At 92"

--
Steve

Catherine Deschevaux

Nov 26, 2009, 6:51:51 AM11/26/09
SteveMR200 wrote:
We knew it was going to kill people
> right and left. But my one driving interest was
> to do the best job I could so that we could end
> the killing as quickly as possible.
> --Paul Tibbets, Jr. (1915-2007)
> (The pilot of the Enola Gay, which dropped an atomic
> bomb on Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945.)
______________________

Disposing of the dead was a minor problem, but to clean the rooms and
corridors of urine, faeces, and vomit was impossible...The sight of them
was almost unbearable. Their faces and hands were burnt off...their
flesh was wet and mushy..their ears had melted off..I saw fire
reservoirs filled to the brim with dead people who looked as though they
had been burned alive...none of the patients had any appetite and were
dying so fast I had come to accept death as a matter of course...bloody
diarrhoea was increasing...
~ Dr. Michihiko Hachiya, Hiroshima Diary

--

//__________Catherine Deschevaux_____________
'Prenez haleine, tirez forte'

Pics of AL
http://aussieladiesofaq.blogspot.com
_____________________________________

SteveMR200

Nov 26, 2009, 10:05:00 AM11/26/09
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:51:51 GMT, Catherine Deschevaux wrote in
message: <rZtPm.57758$ze1....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>:

>On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 04:00:01 -0800, SteveMR200 wrote in message:
><8v6qg5t2oae7c6ic5...@4ax.com>:

>> We knew it was going to kill people right and left.
>> But my one driving interest was to do the best job
>> I could so that we could end the killing as
>> quickly as possible.
>> --Paul Tibbets, Jr. (1915-2007)
>> (The pilot of the Enola Gay, which dropped an atomic
>> bomb on Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945.)
>______________________
>
>Disposing of the dead was a minor problem, but to clean the rooms and
>corridors of urine, faeces, and vomit was impossible...The sight of them
>was almost unbearable. Their faces and hands were burnt off...their
>flesh was wet and mushy..their ears had melted off..I saw fire
>reservoirs filled to the brim with dead people who looked as though they
>had been burned alive...none of the patients had any appetite and were
>dying so fast I had come to accept death as a matter of course...bloody
>diarrhoea was increasing...
> ~ Dr. Michihiko Hachiya, Hiroshima Diary

I never lost a night's sleep over it.
--Paul Tibbets, Jr. (1915-2007)

bobgnome

Nov 26, 2009, 1:28:29 PM11/26/09

"Catherine Deschevaux" <CAT...@XCAPSbigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> SteveMR200 wrote:
> We knew it was going to kill people
>> right and left. But my one driving interest was
>> to do the best job I could so that we could end
>> the killing as quickly as possible.
>> --Paul Tibbets, Jr. (1915-2007)
>> (The pilot of the Enola Gay, which dropped an atomic
>> bomb on Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945.)
> ______________________
>
> Disposing of the dead was a minor problem, but to clean the rooms and
> corridors of urine, faeces, and vomit was impossible...The sight of them
> was almost unbearable. Their faces and hands were burnt off...their
> flesh was wet and mushy..their ears had melted off..I saw fire
> reservoirs filled to the brim with dead people who looked as though they
> had been burned alive...none of the patients had any appetite and were
> dying so fast I had come to accept death as a matter of course...bloody
> diarrhoea was increasing...
> ~ Dr. Michihiko Hachiya, Hiroshima Diary
>

> --
>
> //__________Catherine Deschevaux

Some argue that the U.S. could have demonstrated the bomb on an
uninhabited island, or could have encouraged surrender by promising
that Japan could keep its emperor. Yes, perhaps, and we should have
tried. We could also have waited longer before dropping the second
bomb, on Nagasaki.

But, sadly, the record suggests that restraint would not have worked.
The Japanese military ferociously resisted surrender even after two
atomic bombings on major cities, even after Soviet entry into the
war, even when it expected another atomic bomb - on Tokyo. [...]

It feels unseemly to defend the vaporizing of two cities, events that
are regarded in some quarters as among the most monstrous acts of
the 20th century. But we owe it to history to appreciate that the
greatest tragedy of Hiroshima was not that so many people were
incinerated in an instant, but that in a complex and brutal world,
the alternatives were worse.

--Nicholas Kristof,
"Blood On Our Hands?"
_New York Times_ [5 August 2005]

There's no doubt the atomic bomb wound up saving lives - American,
Japanese, and maybe millions in the lands the latter occupied. The
more interesting question is to what degree it enabled the Japan
we know today. They were a fearsome enemy, and had no time for
decadent concepts such as magnanimity in victory. If you want the
big picture, the Japanese occupation of China left 15 million Chinese
dead. If you want the small picture, consider Tarawa in the Gilbert
Islands. It fell to the Japanese shortly after Pearl Harbor, when the
22 British watchkeepers surrendered to vastly superior forces. The
following year, the Japanese took their British prisoners, tied them
to trees, decapitated them, and burned their bodies in a pit. You
won't find that in the Geneva Conventions. The Japs fought a filthy
war, but a mere six decades later and America, Britain and Japan sit
side by side at G7 meetings, the US and Canada apologize unceasingly
for the wartime internment of Japanese civilians, and an historically
authentic vernacular expression such as "the Japs fought a filthy war"
is now so distasteful that use of it inevitably attracts noisy complaints
about offensively racist characterizations. The old militarist culture -
of kamikaze fanatics and occupation regimes that routinely tortured
and beheaded and even ate their prisoners - is dead as dead can be.

Would that have happened without Hiroshima and Nagasaki, or the
earlier non-nuclear raids?

--Mark Steyn (1959- )
"The etiquette of modern warfare",
_The Jerusalem Post_, [3 August 2005]

Catherine Deschevaux

Nov 26, 2009, 11:52:43 PM11/26/09
bobgnome wrote:
> But, sadly, the record suggests that restraint would not have worked.
________________________________

Whose record.. that of the US wartime military leaders or the US
Administration of the day?

The myth that the US had to drop nuclear weapons on Japan to end the
second world war and thus save lives is still prevalent. Winston
Churchill later asserted: "It would be a mistake to suppose that the
fate of Japan was settled by the atomic bomb. Her defeat was certain
before the bomb fell." The US had two main goals. One was to dominate
the Far East after the war. The other was to gain advantage over the
Soviet Union in the post-war settlement. This was a criminal act and a
massive human catastrophe which must never be forgotten - and never
repeated.
~Kate Hudson Chair, CND quoted in The Guardian (July 21,2005)

I voiced to him [Truman] my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my
belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was
completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country
should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose
employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save
American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment,
seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of �face�. The
Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude�
~Dwight D. Eisenhower, Mandate For Change, pg. 380

It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and
Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The
Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the
effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.
~Admiral William D. Leahy
(Chief of Staff to Presidents Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman)

What, I asked, would his [Gen Douglas MacArthur] advice have been? He
replied that he saw no military justification for the dropping of the
bomb. The war might have ended weeks earlier, he said, if the United
States had agreed, as it later did anyway, to the retention of the
institution of the emperor.
~Norman Cousins, The Pathology of Power, pg. 65, 70-71.

SteveMR200

Nov 27, 2009, 11:05:00 AM11/27/09
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 04:52:43 GMT, Catherine Deschevaux wrote in
message: <vWIPm.57940$ze1....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>:

>The myth that the US had to drop nuclear weapons on Japan to end the

>second world war and thus save lives is still prevalent. . . . This

>was a criminal act and a massive human catastrophe which must never
>be forgotten - and never repeated.
> ~Kate Hudson Chair, CND quoted in The Guardian (July 21,2005)

What has kept the world safe from the bomb since
1945 has not been deterrence, in the sense of fear
of specific weapons, so much as it's been memory.
The memory of what happened at Hiroshima.
--John Richard Hersey (1914-1993)
(in George Plimpton's _Writers At Work_ [1988],
Eighth Series)

--
Steve

bobgnome

Nov 27, 2009, 12:08:05 PM11/27/09

> bobgnome wrote:
>> But, sadly, the record suggests that restraint would not have worked.
> ________________________________
>
> Whose record.. that of the US wartime military leaders or the US
> Administration of the day?

> The myth that the US had to drop nuclear weapons on Japan to end the
> second world war and thus save lives is still prevalent. Winston
> Churchill later asserted: "It would be a mistake to suppose that the
> fate of Japan was settled by the atomic bomb. Her defeat was certain
> before the bomb fell."
[...]

> ~Kate Hudson Chair, CND quoted in The Guardian (July 21,2005)
[...]

> //__________Catherine Deschevaux_____________

It is certain that Europe would have been
communized and London would have been
under bombardment some time ago, but for
the deterrent of the atomic bomb in the hands
of the United States.
--Winston Churchill (1874�1965)
[25 March 1949] in Martin Gilbert
_Never Despair_ [1988] p.464.

As the man who commanded the last atomic
mission, I pray that I retain that singular
distinction.
--Charles Sweeney (1919-2004)
(The pilot of the B-29 bomber nicknamed
"Bock's Car" that dropped a plutonium bomb
dubbed "Fat Man" on Nagasaki on August 9,
1945. In _War's End: An Eyewitness Account
of America's Last Atomic Mission_ [1997].)

SteveMR200

Nov 27, 2009, 6:00:00 PM11/27/09
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:08:05 -0800, bobgnome wrote in message:
<THTPm.33597$cd7....@newsfe04.iad>:

> As the man who commanded the last atomic
> mission, I pray that I retain that singular
> distinction.
> --Charles Sweeney (1919-2004)
> (The pilot of the B-29 bomber nicknamed
> "Bock's Car" that dropped a plutonium bomb
> dubbed "Fat Man" on Nagasaki on August 9,
> 1945. In _War's End: An Eyewitness Account
> of America's Last Atomic Mission_ [1997].)

Imagine that the only nuclear weapons remaining are
the relics in our museums. Imagine the legacy we
could leave to our children.
--Mohamed ElBaradei (1942- )
(In his Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech
at Oslo, Norway; December 10, 2005)

--
Steve

PollyC

Nov 27, 2009, 11:52:25 PM11/27/09
SteveMR200 wrote:
> I never lost a night's sleep over it.
> --Paul Tibbets, Jr. (1915-2007)
> _Los Angeles Times_ [November 2, 2007],
> "Paul Tibbets, Pilot Who Bombed Hiroshima, Dies At 92"

Others involved the the project, however, apparently did.

Before the atom bomb-drops on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I had spent
sleepless nights thinking that I should reveal to the American people,
perhaps through a reputable news organ, the fateful act--the first
introduction of atomic weapons--which the US Government planned to carry
out without consultation with its people. Twenty-five years later, I
feel I would have been right if I had done so.
~Eugene Rabinowitch, Manhattan Project scientist, letter to New York
Times (June 28, 1971). quoted in Daniel Ellsberg Hiroshima Day :America
Has Been Asleep at the Wheel for 64 Years

--
//PollyC

PollyC

Nov 27, 2009, 11:53:11 PM11/27/09
SteveMR200 wrote:
> What has kept the world safe from the bomb since
> 1945 has not been deterrence, in the sense of fear
> of specific weapons, so much as it's been memory.
> The memory of what happened at Hiroshima.
> --John Richard Hersey (1914-1993)
> (in George Plimpton's _Writers At Work_ [1988],
> Eighth Series)
_________________________________

Dorothy, we will regret this day. The United States will suffer, for war
is not to be waged on women and children.
~Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral William Leahy, to his
secretary Dorothy Ringquist on the day the Hiroshima bomb was dropped.

It wasn�t necessary to hit them with that awful thing . . . to use the
atomic bomb, to kill and terrorize civilians, without even attempting
[negotiations], was a double crime.
~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

--
//PollyC

Catherine Deschevaux

Nov 28, 2009, 12:02:25 AM11/28/09
Catherine Deschevaux wrote:
> The myth that the US had to drop nuclear weapons on Japan to end the
> second world war and thus save lives is still prevalent.

Every year during the first two weeks of August the mass news media and
many politicians at the national level trot out the "patriotic"
political myth that the dropping of the two atomic bombs on Japan in
August of 1945 caused them to surrender, and thereby saved the lives of
anywhere from five hundred thousand to one million American soldiers,
who did not have to invade the islands. Opinion polls over the last
fifty years show that American citizens overwhelmingly (between 80 and
90%) believe this false history which, of course, makes them feel better
about killing hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians (mostly women
and children) and saving American lives to accomplish the ending of the war.
~John V. Denson, The Hiroshima Myth

Unfortunately, I have lived long enough to know that history is often
not what actually happened but what is recorded as such.
~Henry Stimson 1867�1950, On Active Service in Peace and War [Memoirs]

[The irony in this statement is glaring with US Sec. of War Stimson
the one chosen to "sanitise" the atomic bombing with the publicised spin
that it saved lives/shortened war etc - see article above]

Catherine Deschevaux

Nov 28, 2009, 12:17:13 AM11/28/09
bobgnome wrote:
>> The myth that the US had to drop nuclear weapons on Japan to end the
>> second world war and thus save lives is still prevalent. Winston
>> Churchill later asserted: "It would be a mistake to suppose that the
>> fate of Japan was settled by the atomic bomb. Her defeat was certain
>> before the bomb fell."

> It is certain that Europe would have been
> communized and London would have been
> under bombardment some time ago, but for
> the deterrent of the atomic bomb in the hands
> of the United States.

> --Winston Churchill (1874�1965)

> [25 March 1949] in Martin Gilbert
> _Never Despair_ [1988] p.464.

So, in 1949 Churchill confirmed it *was* a deterrent act against
communism, and not one required to defeat Japan in WW II! No surprises
there!

On 22nd July, 1945, Churchill wrote: �[with the bomb] we now have
something in hand which will re-establish the equilibrium with the
Russians. The secret of this explosive and the ability to use it will
completely transform the diplomatic equilibrium, which had been adrift
since the defeat of Germany�. That this should cause the deaths, in
atrocious suffering, of hundreds of thousands of human beings, left this
�defender of the free world� and �saviour of democracy� cold. When he
heard the news of the Hiroshima explosion, he jumped for joy, and Lord
Allenbrooke, one of Churchill�s advisers, even wrote: �Churchill was
enthusiastic, and already saw himself with the ability to eliminate all
Russia�s major industrial population centres� (Le Monde Diplomatique,
August 1990)
~Hiroshima and Nagasaki expose the myth of the Good War,
Internationalism.org (1995)

SteveMR200

Nov 28, 2009, 8:00:00 AM11/28/09
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 04:52:25 GMT, PollyC wrote in message:
<d02Qm.58269$ze1....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>:

>On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:05:00 -0800, SteveMR200 wrote in message:
><116tg558gkb325la4...@4ax.com>:

>> I never lost a night's sleep over it.
>> --Paul Tibbets, Jr. (1915-2007)
>> _Los Angeles Times_ [November 2, 2007],
>> "Paul Tibbets, Pilot Who Bombed Hiroshima, Dies At 92"
>

>Others involved in the project, however, apparently did.

>Before the atom bomb-drops on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I had spent
>sleepless nights thinking that I should reveal to the American people,
>perhaps through a reputable news organ, the fateful act--the first
>introduction of atomic weapons--which the US Government planned to carry
>out without consultation with its people. Twenty-five years later, I
>feel I would have been right if I had done so.
>~Eugene Rabinowitch, Manhattan Project scientist, letter to New York
> Times (June 28, 1971). quoted in Daniel Ellsberg Hiroshima Day:America
> Has Been Asleep at the Wheel for 64 Years

I made one great mistake in my life--when I signed
a letter to President [Franklin D.] Roosevelt
recommending that an atomic bomb be made.
--Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

_Los Angeles Times_ [November 2, 2007],
"Paul Tibbets, Pilot Who Bombed Hiroshima, Dies At 92"

--
Steve

PollyC

Nov 29, 2009, 8:26:39 PM11/29/09
SteveMR200 wrote:
>> Before the atom bomb-drops on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I had spent
>> sleepless nights thinking that I should reveal to the American people,
>> perhaps through a reputable news organ, the fateful act--the first
>> introduction of atomic weapons--which the US Government planned to carry
>> out without consultation with its people. Twenty-five years later, I
>> feel I would have been right if I had done so.
>> ~Eugene Rabinowitch, Manhattan Project scientist, letter to New York
>> Times (June 28, 1971). quoted in Daniel Ellsberg Hiroshima Day:America
>> Has Been Asleep at the Wheel for 64 Years

> I made one great mistake in my life--when I signed
> a letter to President [Franklin D.] Roosevelt
> recommending that an atomic bomb be made.
> --Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
> _Los Angeles Times_ [November 2, 2007],
> "Paul Tibbets, Pilot Who Bombed Hiroshima, Dies At 92"

We turned the switch, saw the flashes, watched for ten minutes, then
switched everything off and went home. That night I knew the world was
headed for sorrow.
~Le� Szil�rd 1898-1964 quoted in Richard Rhodes, The Making Of The
Atomic Bomb (1986)

Even in times of war, you can see current events in their historical
perspective, provided that your passion for the truth prevails over your
bias in favor of your own nation.
~Le� Szil�rd 1898-1964

[Szil�rd was a Hungarian physicist who conceived the nuclear chain
reaction and worked on the Manhattan Project.]