Shadows

Grace McGarvie

Jun 11, 2002, 11:10:57 PM6/11/02

Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. Aesop

Probably the happiest period in life most frequently is in middle age,
when the eager passions of youth are cooled, and the infirmities of age
not yet begun; as we see that the shadows, which are at morning and
evening so large, almost entirely disappear at midday. Thomas Arnold

Behind the doors of this ambitious day stand shadows with enormous
grudges, outside its chartered ocean of perception misshapen coastguards
drunk with foreboding, and whispering websters, creeping through this
world, discredit so much literature and praise. Summer was worse than we
expected; Now an Autumn cold comes on the water. Wystan Hugh Auden

A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows. St. Francis of
Assisi

Who never doubted, never half believed. Where doubt is, there truth is -
it is her shadow. Philip James Bailey

What is life? An illusion, a shadow, a story, And the greatest good is
little enough: for all life is a dream, and dreams themselves are only
dreams. Pedro Calderon de la Barca

In this world, full often, our joys are only the tender shadows which
our sorrows cast. Henry Ward Beecher

Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in our own
sunshine. Henry Ward Beecher

Nevertheless, the consuming hunger of the uncritical mind for what it
imagines to be certainty or finality impels it to feast upon shadows in
the prevailing famine of substance. Eric Temple Bell

One can live in the shadow of an idea without grasping it. Elizabeth
Bowen

Constitutional rights should not be frittered away by arguments so
technical and unsubstantial. "The Constitution deals with substance,
not shadows." Louis D. Brandeis

Life is itself but the shadow of death, and souls departed but the
shadows of the living. All things fall under this name. The sun itself
is but the dark simulacrum, and light but the shadow of God. Thomas
Browne

Be born anywhere, little embryo novelist, but do not be born under the
shadow of a great creed, not under the burden of original sin, not under
the doom of Salvation. Pearl S. Buck

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is
pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha, The
Dharmapada

Because half-a-dozen grasshoppers under a fern make the field ring with
their importunate chink, whilst thousands of great cattle, reposed
beneath the shadow of the British oak, chew the cud and are silent, pray
do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of
the field; that of course they are many in number; or that, after all,
they are other than the little shriveled, meager, hopping, though loud
and troublesome insects of the hour. Edmund Burke

Poetry is the art of substantiating shadows, and of lending existence to
nothing. Edmund Burke

The blond cornfields were red gold, the haystacks turned rosy and threw
long shadows. The whole prairie was like the bush that burned with fire
and was not consumed. That hour always had the exultation of victory,
of triumphant ending, like a hero's death--heroes who died young and
gloriously. It was a sudden transfiguration, a lifting-up of day.
Willa Cather

A woman is like your shadow - follow her, she flies; fly from her, she
follows. Sebastien-Roch Nicolas Chamfort

One is forever throwing away substance for shadows. Jennie Jerome
Churchill

The shadow of victory is disillusion. Winston Churchill

A shadow has fallen upon the scenes so lately lighted by the Allied
victory . . . From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an
iron curtain has descended across the continent. Winston Churchill

Glory follows virtue as if it were its shadow. Marcus Tullius Cicero

Every man ought to be inquisitive through every hour of his great
adventure down to the day when he shall no longer cast a shadow in the
sun. For if he dies without a question in his heart, what excuse is
there for his continuance? Frank Moore Colby

Weeds and nettles, briars and thorns, have thriven under your shadow,
dissettlement and division, discontentment and dissatisfaction, together
with real dangers to the whole. Oliver Cromwell

What is life? It is a flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath
of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs
across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. Crowfoot, Blackfoot
warrior

When it comes, the Landscape listens - Shadows - hold their breath -
When it goes, 'tis like the Distance On the look of Death. Emily
Dickinson

Superstitions are, for the most part, but the shadows of great truths.
Tryon Edwards

Space by itself, and time by itself, are doomed to fade away into mere
shadows, and only a kind union of the two will preserve an independent
reality. Albert Einstein

A woman's hopes are woven of sunbeams; a shadow annihilates them.
George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans)

And I will show you something different from either Your shadow at
morning striding behind you Or your shadow at evening rising to meet
you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust. T. S. Eliot

All history is but the lengthened shadow of a great man. Ralph Waldo
Emerson

With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well
concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now
in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words
again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. - 'Ah, so you
shall be sure to be misunderstood.' - Is it so bad, then, to be
misunderstood? Ralph Waldo Emerson

An institution is the lengthened shadow of one man; as, Monarchism, of
the Hermit Antony; the Reformation, of Luther; Quakerism, of Fox;
Methodism, of Wesley; Abolition, of Clarkson. Scipio, Milton called "the
height of Rome"; and all history resolves itself very easily into the
biography of a few stout and earnest persons. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nature and literature are subjective phenomena; every evil and every
good thing is a shadow which we cast. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness is not in strength, or wealth, or power, or all three. It
lies in ourselves, in true freedom, in the conquest of every ignoble
fear, in perfect self-government, in a power of contentment and peace,
and the even flow of life, even in poverty, exile, disease, and the very
valley of the shadow of death. Epictetus

Every man has a different idea of what's beautiful, and it's best to
take the gesture, the shadow of the branch, and let the mind create the
tree. William Faulkner

The touch of reality is salvation for the man who smothers amid forms
and shadows. A blind man would rejoice in sight though his eyes opened
on the carnage of a battlefield. Oscar W. Firkins

Our acts our angels are, for good or ill, Our fatal shadows that walk by
us still. John Fletcher

A false friend and a shadow attend only while the sun shines. "Poor
Richard", Benjamin Franklin

When the shadow of the presidential and congressional election is lifted
we shall, I hope be in a better temper to legislate. James A. Garfield

Evil (ignorance) is like a shadow - it has no real substance of its own,
it is simply a lack of light. You cannot cause a shadow to disappear by
trying to fight it, stamp on it, by railing against it, or any other
form of emotional or physical resistance. In order to cause a shadow to
disappear, you must shine light on it. Shakti Gawain

The smallest hair throws its shadow. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Where there is much light, the shadow is deep. Johann Wolfgang von
Goethe

Discontent is something that follows ambition like a shadow. Henry H.
Haskins

Eager souls, mystics and revolutionaries, may propose to refashion the
world in accordance with their dreams; but evil remains, and so long as
it lurks in the secret places of the heart, utopia is only the shadow of
a dream. Nathaniel Hawthorne

Time flies over us, but leaves it shadow behind. Nathaniel Hawthorne

I was either standing in your shadow, or blocking your light; Though I
kept on trying I could not get it right; For you, girl There's just not
enough love in the world. Don Henley

All my life, I've been waiting, tonight there'll be no hesitating. Stars
are peering, shadows falling you can hear my heart calling, A little bit
of loving makes everything right I'm gonna see my baby tonight. Buddy
Holly

We are but dust and shadow. Horace (Quintus Horatius Flaccus)

A mortgage casts a shadow on the sunniest field. Robert Green Ingersoll

Freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That
would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the
right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing
order. Robert H. Jackson

If God created shadows it was to better emphasize the light. Pope John
XXIII

To rid ourselves of our shadows - who we are - we must step into either
total light or total darkness. Jeremy Preston Johnson

Love causes us to value the other person as a total, individual self,
and this means that we accept the negative side as well as the positive,
the imperfections as well as the admirable qualities. When one truly
loves the human being rather than the projection, one loves the shadow
just as one loves the rest. One accepts the other person's totality.
Robert A. Johnson

Where love rules, there is no rule to power; and where power
predominates, there love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the
other. Carl Gustav Jung

It is that my friends have made the story of my life. In a thousand
ways they have turned my limitations into beautiful privileges, and
enabled me to walk serene and happy in the shadow cast by my
deprivation. Helen Keller

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow. It's what
sunflowers do. Helen Keller

Islam says: Whatever good there is exists thanks to the sword and in the
shadow of the sword! People cannot be made obedient except with the
sword! The sword is the key to Paradise, which can be opened only for
Holy Warriors! Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini

Everything we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see. Martin
Luther King, Jr.

Cities and Thrones and Powers, Stand in Time's eye, Almost as long as
flowers, Which daily die: But, as new buds put forth, To glad new men,
Out of the spent and unconsidered Earth, The Cities rise again. This
season's Daffodil, She never hears What change, what chance, what chill,
Cut down last year's: But with bold countenance, And knowledge small,
Esteems her seven days' continuance To be perpetual. So time that is
o'er kind, To all that be, Ordains us e'en as blind, As bold as she:
That in our very death, And burial sure, Shadow to shadow,
well-persuaded, saith, "See how our works endure!" Rudyard Kipling

There's a grief that can't be spoken There's a pain goes on and on.
Phantom faces at the window Phantom shadows on the floor Empty chairs at
empty tables Where my friends will meet no more. Oh my friends, my
friends, don't ask me What your sacrifice was for Empty chairs at empty
tables Where my friends will sing no more. Les Mise'rables, song,
Herbert Kretzmer

Friendship is the shadow of the evening, which increases with the
setting sun of life. Jean de La Fontaine

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is
what we think of it; the tree is the real thing. Abraham Lincoln

Look not mournfully into the Past. It comes not back again. Wisely
improve the Present. In is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy Future,
without fear, and a manly heart. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

That which we call substance and reality is shadow and illusion, and
that which we call shadow and illusion is substance and reality. H. P.
Lovecraft

Some men by ancestry are only the shadow of a mighty name. Lucan

Do we not all spend the greater part of our lives under the shadow of an
event that has not yet come to pass? Maurice Maeterlinck

The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For
I have seen the shadow on the moon and I have more faith in the Shadow
than in the Church. Ferdinand Magellan

Christianity has occasioned, the persecutions, the tortures Christian
has inflicted on Christian, the unkindness, the hypocrisy, the
intolerance, must consider the balance sheet with complacency. And when
he remembers that it has laid upon mankind the bitter burden of the
sense of sin that has darkened the beauty of the starry night and cast a
baleful shadow on the passing pleasures of a world to be enjoyed, he
must chuckle as he murmurs: give the devil his due. W. Somerset
Maugham

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away Now it looks as though
they're here to stay Oh I believe in Yesterday. Suddenly, I'm not half
the man I used to be There's a shadow growing over me. John Lennon and
Paul McCartney

The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.
Michelangelo Buonarroti

Reasoning against a prejudice is like fighting against a shadow; it
exhausts the reasoner, without visibly affecting the prejudice. Charles
Mildmay

For some reason or other man looks for the miracle, and to accomplish it
he will wade through blood. He will debauch himself with ideas, he will
reduce himself to a shadow if for only one second of his life he can
close his eyes to the hideousness of reality. Everything is endured -
disgrace, humiliation, poverty, war, crime, ennui - in the belief that
overnight something will occur, a miracle, which will render life
tolerable. Henry Miller

Prestige is the shadow of money and power. Where these are, there it is.
Like the national market for soap or automobiles and the enlarged arena
of federal power, the national cash-in area for prestige has grown,
slowly being consolidated into a truly national system. C. Wright Mills

Man's disobedience) brought into this World a world of woe, Sin and her
shadow Death, and Misery, Death's Harbinger. John Milton

Love beauty; it is the shadow of God on the universe. Gabriela Mistral

Without knowledge, life is no more than the shadow of death. Jean
Baptiste Moliere

What you have in mind, your talents, your native abilities, no one can
take from you. When you die you take them with you. Use them
diligently while you are here. Why wait until the shadows of death?
Alfred A. Montapert

After Buddha was dead, his shadow was still shown for centuries in a
cave - a tremendous, gruesome shadow.  God is dead; but given the way of
men, there may still be caves for thousands of years in which his shadow
will be shown. And we - we still have to vanquish his shadow, too.
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Strangely enough we strengthen love in ourselves when we raise into
consciousness the shadow side of our lives. Coversely, when we keep
negative feelings out of sight, they smother the love that seems to lie
deeper and closer to the real self. This is probably why there is so
much pain in not loving. The life that is not able to express the love
which is so integral to it grows deformed. Elizabeth O'Connor

When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty
quits the horizon. Thomas Paine

For years I have known that my only real romance is with God. I want to
be with God. I want to be in his or her arms where I belong, and I hope
I shall be when I die. But I am not ready to go home yet, and God does
not come to me often. Certainly never on demand. She has Her own
schedule. Her timing is not my timing, and I must content myself with
that. I am not so good at being content, however, that I do not look
forward to substitutes, even if they be but shadows of the real thing.
M. Scott Peck

Many a man has cherished for years as his hobby some vague shadow of an
idea, too meaningless to be positively false. Charles Sanders Peirce

They see only their own shadows or the shadows of one another, which the
fire throws on the opposite wall of the cave. Plato

The year Has gone, and, with it, many a glorious throng Of happy
dreams. Its mark is on each brow; Its shadow in each heart. In its
swift course, It waved its sceptre o'er the beautiful, And they are
not. George Denison Prentice

Even a single hair casts its shadow. Publilius (Syrus)

Then they laid him on the ground in the shadow of the low stone wall
alongside the road. I don't know who that first one was. You feel small
in the presence of dead men, and ashamed at being alive, and you don't
ask silly questions. Ernie Pyle

Never fear shadows. They simply mean that there's a light somewhere
nearby. Ruth E. Renkei

The shadows on the wall tell me the sun is going down, Oh Ruby, don't
take your love to town. Kenny Rogers

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another
dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of
mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things
and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone. Twilight
Zone, Rod Serling

The very substance of the ambitious is merely the shadow of a dream.
William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his
hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; It is a tale told by an
idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. William Shakespeare,
Macbeth

Each substance of a grief hath twenty shadows. William Shakespeare,
Richard II

My grief lies all within, And these external manners of lament Are
merely shadows to the unseen grief That swells with silence in the
tortured soul. William Shakespeare, Richard II

Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow
of our burden behind us. Samuel Smiles

The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one
young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion. Elizabeth
Cady Stanton

The popes, like Jesus, are conceived by their mothers through the
overshadowing of the Holy Ghost. All popes are a certain species of
man-gods, for the purpose of being the better able to conduct the
functions of mediator between God and mankind. All powers in Heaven, as
well as on earth, are given to them. Pope Stephanus V, 9th century

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow - Not at all
like proper children, which is always very slow; For he sometimes shoots
up taller like an india-rubber ball, And he sometimes gets so little
that there's none of him at all Robert Louis Stevenson

Every life has a death, and every light a shadow. Be content to stand in
the light, and let the shadow fall where it will. Mary Stewart

The reputation of a man is like his shadow, gigantic when it precedes
him, and pygmy in its proportions when it follows. Charles-Maurice de
Talleyrand

Ours is a precarious language, as every writer knows, in which the
merest shadow line often separates affirmation from negation, sense from
nonsense, and one sex from the other. James Thurber

Home is behind, the world ahead, And there are many paths to tread
Through shadows to the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Then world behind and home ahead, We'll wander back to home and bed.
Mist and twilight, cloud and shade, Away shall fade! Away shall fade!
Fire and lamp, and meat and bread, And then to bed! And then to bed! J.
R. R. Tolkien

O! Wanderers in the shadowed land despair not! For though dark they
stand, all woods there be must end at last, and see the open sun go
past: the setting sun, the rising sun, the day's end, or the day begun.
For east or west all woods must fail. J. R. R. Tolkien

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall
spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again
shall be king. J. R. R. Tolkien

Home is behind, the world ahead, And there are many paths to tread
Through shadows to the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Then world behind and home ahead, We'll wander back to home and bed.
Mist and twilight, cloud and shade, Away shall fade! Away shall fade!
Fire and lamp, and meat and bread, And then to bed! And then to bed! J.
R. R. Tolkien

It is better to follow even the shadow of the best, than to remain
content with the worst, and those who would see wonderful things must
often be ready to travel alone. Henry Vandyke

When on some gilded cloud or floure My gazing soul would dwell an houre
And in those weaker glories spy Some shadows of eternity Henry Vaughn

Joy and grief are never far apart. In the same street the shutters of
one house are closed while the curtains of the next are brushed by the
shadows of the dance. A wedding party returns from the church and a
funeral winds to its door. The smiles and sadness of life are the
tragi-comedy of Shakespeare. Gladness and sighs brighten the dim mirror
he holds. Robert Eldridge Willmott

When you are old and grey and full of sleep, And nodding by the fire,
take down this book, And slowly read, and dream of the soft look Your
eyes had once, and of their shadows deep; How many loved your moments
of glad grace, And loved your beauty with love false or true; But one
man loved the pilgrim soul in you, And loved the sorrows of your
changing face. And bending down beside the glowing bars Murmur, a
little sadly, how love fled And paced upon the mountains overhead And
hid his face amid a crowd of stars. William Butler Yeats

The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out When a vast image out of
Spiritus Mundi Troubles my sight; somewhere in the sands of desert A
shape with lion body and the head of a man, A gaze blank and pitiless as
the sun, In moving its slow thighs, while all about it Reel shadows of
the indigent desert birds. The darkness drops again; but now I know That
twenty centuries of stony sleep Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking
cradle, And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches
towards Bethlehem to be born? William Butler Yeats

When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about
to set. Lin Yutang

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will
fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort
me. The Bible, Psalms 23:4

Does not man have hard service on earth? Are not his days like those of
a hired man? Like a slave longing for the evening shadows, or a hired
man waiting eagerly for his wages, so I have been allotted months of
futility, and nights of misery have been assigned to me. When I lie
down I think, "How long before I get up?" The night drags on, and I
toss till dawn. The Bible, Job 7:1-4

There falls no shadow where there shines no sun. Inscription on sundial

I am a shadow, so art thou, I mark the time, dost thou? Inscription on
sundial When thou dost look upon my face, To learn the time of day:
Think how my shadow keeps its pace, As thy life flies away. Take,
mortal this advice from me, And so resolve to spend Thy life on earth,
that heaven shall be Thy home when time shall end. Inscription on
sundial

Do not let big ambitions overshadow small successes. Anonymous

Life without love is a shadow of things that might be. Anonymous

No man sees his shadow who faces the sun. Proverb

Time's but a shadow that will cease. Eternity shall bring us perfect
peace. Anonymous

Happiness is like a sunbeam, which the least shadow intercepts, while
adversity is often as the rain of spring. Chinese Proverb

If you are standing upright, don't worry if your shadow is crooked.
Chinese Proverb

Just as tall trees are known by their shadows, so are good men known by
their enemies. Chinese Proverb

When one dog barks at a shadow, a hundred bark at the sound. Chinese
Proverb

From praise, as from a shadow, a man is neither bigger nor smaller.
Danish Proverb

The reputation of a man is like his shadow: it sometimes follows and
sometimes precedes him, it is sometimes longer and sometimes shorter
than his natural size. French Proverb

The shadow should be the same length as the body. Indonesian Proverb

All sins cast long shadows. Irish Proverb

Glory is the shadow of virtue. Latin Proverb

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori
Proverb

Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow. Swedish Proverb

Our shadow will follow us. Tamil (Asian Indian) Proverb

When the light is crooked, the shadow is crooked. Yiddish Proverb

--
"Rock is about wanting to do it, jazz about doing it, and country
western is about feeling guilty after you've done it." Robert Waldo

_____________________________
0 0 . . Grace McGarvie . .
J . . . .
{___} . . Plymouth,Mn. 55447 . .
. . gem...@attbi.com . .

V-Man

Jun 12, 2002, 12:24:37 AM6/12/02
"G'Quon wrote, there is a greater darkness then the one we fight. It is the
darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against
powers and principalities. It is against chaos and despair! Greater than the
death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this parolee
we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of
transition to born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that
future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."
Citizen G'Kar, Narn Ambassador to Babylon 5

Play more with Claymore! V-Man

He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave.
-- Sir William Drummond

V-Man

Jun 12, 2002, 12:27:17 AM6/12/02
I hope all will excuse this rather unorthodox quote - it conveys nicely the
lesson of being wary of those bringing gifts, especially agents of the Shadows.

"What do you want?"

"What do I want? The Centauri striped my world. I want Justice."

"But what do you want?"

"To suck the morrow from their bones and grin their skulls to powder."

"What do you want?"

"To tear down their cities, blacken their skies, sow their ground with salt, to
completely underlie erase."

"And then what?"

"I don't know. As long as my home world safety is guaranteed, I don't know that
it matters."

"I see."

-- Exchange between Mr. Morden and Citizen G'Kar, Babylon Station, sometime in
the fall of 2259

H. E. Taylor

Jun 12, 2002, 12:42:51 AM6/12/02
In article <20020612002437...@mb-cd.aol.com>,

<velo...@aol.com> V-Man wrote:

> "G'Quon wrote, there is a greater darkness then the one we fight. It is the
> darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against
> powers and principalities. It is against chaos and despair! Greater than the
> death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this parolee

I believe that should read 'against this peril'...

> we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of
> transition to born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that
> future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."
> Citizen G'Kar, Narn Ambassador to Babylon 5

Yet more B5 quotes:
http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/b5lines.html

<fwiw>
-het

--
"The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself
is in possession of it seems to me the deepest root of all evil

Energy Alternatives: http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/energy.html
H.E. Taylor http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/

The Dangling Conversationalist

Jun 12, 2002, 10:02:06 AM6/12/02
In <20020612002717...@mb-cd.aol.com>, velo...@aol.com.CanDo wrote:

> "What do you want?"
>
> "What do I want? The Centauri striped my world. . . .

Centauri would never do such a thing. They must have been Zebrae!

-:-
Ktath, the Gomaq of the Cliff People, stared out into the
pale sunlight and scratched his pelt.

--Richard Steinfeld, in a _New York Magazine_ competition
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
col...@mail.monmouth.com