New NaCl Box Encryption program

inwtx

Jul 20, 2019, 11:29:44โ€ฏAM7/20/19
--
pub 2048D/D8585C13
inwtx.net/pubkey.txt

Stefan Claas

Jul 20, 2019, 11:42:40โ€ฏAM7/20/19
That is great inwtx! I use box with friends and can now recommend
your GUI too! :-)

Here's my pub key, in case you like to test.

4a64758de9e8ceded2c481ee526440687fe2f3a828e3a813f87753ad30847b56

P.S. for ASCII armor I use base91 encoding / decoding, when sending
email messages.

Best regards
Stefan

inwtx

Jul 20, 2019, 11:56:41โ€ฏAM7/20/19
The program uses Base64. I don't have another choice with my compiler, but that will be transparent to anyone using the program.

To test, here is a short message:

My pubkey:
29396c99fb4f1540ec2fa85457dd8cde828596b1ad95b7e5d97319a40103fb48

=== BEGIN NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
AgAAAHYwRAAAAMkDUCl1dp9J654IEv4xW58d4eL0Wr7p+YRRXiT0oKtA2Qug4mZg
KEZ3eg4ZqsC4fQ3roP8xYLp8xmyREkeaqmxtP4zK
=== END NaCL ENCRYPTION ===

Stefan Claas

Jul 20, 2019, 12:24:32โ€ฏPM7/20/19
inwtx wrote:

> My pubkey:
> 29396c99fb4f1540ec2fa85457dd8cde828596b1ad95b7e5d97319a40103fb48
>
> === BEGIN NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
> AgAAAHYwRAAAAMkDUCl1dp9J654IEv4xW58d4eL0Wr7p+YRRXiT0oKtA2Qug4mZg
> KEZ3eg4ZqsC4fQ3roP8xYLp8xmyREkeaqmxtP4zK
> === END NaCL ENCRYPTION ===

Thanks. I installed your software on my offline Notebook, imported
your key and added mine and I could decrypt your message fine. But
I must RTFM to understand how to encrypt a message to you ...

I would also highly recommend, if you don't mind, to remove the
==Begin and ==End in the base64 armor, to make it harder for
mail filters, like procmail etc., to filter messages. Or if
possible, make it a user option.

Regards
Stefan

inwtx

Jul 20, 2019, 1:12:37โ€ฏPM7/20/19

> inwtx wrote:
>

>> My pubkey:
>> 29396c99fb4f1540ec2fa85457dd8cde828596b1ad95b7e5d97319a40103fb48
>>
>> === BEGIN NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
>> AgAAAHYwRAAAAMkDUCl1dp9J654IEv4xW58d4eL0Wr7p+YRRXiT0oKtA2Qug4mZg
>> KEZ3eg4ZqsC4fQ3roP8xYLp8xmyREkeaqmxtP4zK
>> === END NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
>>

> Thanks. I installed your software on my offline Notebook, imported
> your key and added mine and I could decrypt your message fine. But
> I must RTFM to understand how to encrypt a message to you ...

See note C. in help.

> I would also highly recommend, if you don't mind, to remove the
> ==Begin and ==End in the base64 armor, to make it harder for
> mail filters, like procmail etc., to filter messages. Or if
> possible, make it a user option.

Uncheck 'Encase result' in Params (bottom right corner).
I figured that someone wouldn't want that.

I just loaded out v1.2 with an additional option to select the
main widow color. It shows up a nice beige on some machines, but
yellow on others. Now you can change it.

Stefan Claas

Jul 20, 2019, 1:14:14โ€ฏPM7/20/19
Stefan Claas wrote:

> inwtx wrote:
>
> > My pubkey:
> > 29396c99fb4f1540ec2fa85457dd8cde828596b1ad95b7e5d97319a40103fb48
> >
> > === BEGIN NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
> > AgAAAHYwRAAAAMkDUCl1dp9J654IEv4xW58d4eL0Wr7p+YRRXiT0oKtA2Qug4mZg
> > KEZ3eg4ZqsC4fQ3roP8xYLp8xmyREkeaqmxtP4zK
> > === END NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
> >

> Thanks. I installed your software on my offline Notebook, imported
> your key and added mine and I could decrypt your message fine. But
> I must RTFM to understand how to encrypt a message to you ...

All fine now! :-)

=== BEGIN NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
AgAAAHYwkwAAAPM+gKgDwTrKPwb69u8cCiHqiz5D5hJreZyNfgIfFJja4M0G+Ngh
Y6NzpptyhGmI1WUSf7Y5JSu6gJHmCgZBl8CPlUN7PkXV4QV+AsL1RaC2bp/V8VDV
YyCZdHbFa5q2F/aKlZY5Ny4q4JZXpBmWK9eM0rmYnrBrjiecnfi5OZ697DG1dl6k
5wQuQjwtXsjtDsd0kQ==
=== END NaCL ENCRYPTION ===

Regards
Stefan

inwtx

Jul 20, 2019, 1:15:36โ€ฏPM7/20/19

>> inwtx wrote:
>>

>>> My pubkey:
>>> 29396c99fb4f1540ec2fa85457dd8cde828596b1ad95b7e5d97319a40103fb48
>>>
>>> === BEGIN NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
>>> AgAAAHYwRAAAAMkDUCl1dp9J654IEv4xW58d4eL0Wr7p+YRRXiT0oKtA2Qug4mZg
>>> KEZ3eg4ZqsC4fQ3roP8xYLp8xmyREkeaqmxtP4zK
>>> === END NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
>>>

>> Thanks. I installed your software on my offline Notebook, imported
>> your key and added mine and I could decrypt your message fine. But
>> I must RTFM to understand how to encrypt a message to you ...
>
> See note C. in help.

I should have said note D.

Stefan Claas

Jul 20, 2019, 1:19:35โ€ฏPM7/20/19
inwtx wrote:

> > inwtx wrote:
> >

> >> My pubkey:
> >> 29396c99fb4f1540ec2fa85457dd8cde828596b1ad95b7e5d97319a40103fb48
> >>
> >> === BEGIN NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
> >> AgAAAHYwRAAAAMkDUCl1dp9J654IEv4xW58d4eL0Wr7p+YRRXiT0oKtA2Qug4mZg
> >> KEZ3eg4ZqsC4fQ3roP8xYLp8xmyREkeaqmxtP4zK
> >> === END NaCL ENCRYPTION ===
> >>

> > Thanks. I installed your software on my offline Notebook, imported
> > your key and added mine and I could decrypt your message fine. But
> > I must RTFM to understand how to encrypt a message to you ...
>
> See note C. in help.
> >
> > I would also highly recommend, if you don't mind, to remove the
> > ==Begin and ==End in the base64 armor, to make it harder for
> > mail filters, like procmail etc., to filter messages. Or if
> > possible, make it a user option.
>
> Uncheck 'Encase result' in Params (bottom right corner).
> I figured that someone wouldn't want that.

Awesome, thanks!

> I just loaded out v1.2 with an additional option to select the
> main widow color. It shows up a nice beige on some machines, but
> yellow on others. Now you can change it.

Thanks a lot!

Regards
Stefan

inwtx

Jul 20, 2019, 1:22:40โ€ฏPM7/20/19
The ? help button works on my W7. It brings the help up in the
default browser - strange.

Stefan Claas

Jul 20, 2019, 1:45:49โ€ฏPM7/20/19
inwtx wrote:

> The ? help button works on my W7. It brings the help up in the
> default browser - strange.

I just noticed that I had not defined a default browser on my
offline computer ... now it works too! :-)

Really great software you did! I will recommend it also on
Mastodon, for other GnuPG / PGP users. ;-)

Regards
Stefan

Stefan Claas

Jul 20, 2019, 2:08:40โ€ฏPM7/20/19
Just did it. :-)

BTW. I have never seen encryption software which gives users
the ability to do padding with their messages, like Mixmaster
or YAMN does.

Do you think it would be possible for you to add message padding
in the GUI Windows, after composing a message and prior encrypting?

http://www.wiredyne.com/software/padding.html

I proposed that also long ago on the GnuPG Mailing list and again
also a while ago, but never received a reply ...

I suggested that long time ago here for a.a.m. users too but
the replies have been not so good, IMHO.

Regards
Stefan

inwtx

Jul 20, 2019, 2:14:57โ€ฏPM7/20/19
Good. I was about to incorporate the help within the program. That saves me some work.

inwtx

Jul 20, 2019, 2:27:08โ€ฏPM7/20/19

> BTW. I have never seen encryption software which gives users
> the ability to do padding with their messages, like Mixmaster
> or YAMN does.
>
> Do you think it would be possible for you to add message padding
> in the GUI Windows, after composing a message and prior
encrypting?

> http://www.wiredyne.com/software/padding.html
>
> I proposed that also long ago on the GnuPG Mailing list and again
> also a while ago, but never received a reply ...
>
> I suggested that long time ago here for a.a.m. users too but
> the replies have been not so good, IMHO.

This is something to think about. I guess the best thing to do
would be to fill up to several fix dummy character lengths wherein
the real message length is somewhere below one of those numbers. I
don't see the reason for it though, since the fixed packed lengths
of Mixmaster and YAMN has to be so that a message can't be tracked
by size through the system.

Stefan Claas

Jul 20, 2019, 2:33:24โ€ฏPM7/20/19
Well, I tried it out in the past and entered then with the Python
program integers for the padding parameter like 1024 or 2048 etc.,
depending on the message length and the program filled the message
with random chars, so that the final message had then the exact byte
size.

I think also it does not hurt to have such an option, when networks
are monitored and 3rd parties see only or often fixed size messages.

Regards
Stefan

inwtx

Jul 20, 2019, 2:53:24โ€ฏPM7/20/19
I'll think about putting in an option for up to 1024x multiple
padding. Something I failed to mentioned in the help is that
message size is limited to 16300 bytes. This is what the box
program limits it to, 16kb (16384). I limit the main window to
16300. This is because small machines can not handle more, since
all NaCl encryption is done in ram. If there is noise for bigger
message capability later, I might up the box compile to 32kb and
64kb and allow the user to select which box executable to use.

We are off for secret locations again tomorrow and not sure when I
will be back.

Stefan Claas

Jul 20, 2019, 2:59:05โ€ฏPM7/20/19
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Have a nice trip!

Regards
Stefan

Stefan Claas

Jul 20, 2019, 3:08:50โ€ฏPM7/20/19
inwtx wrote:

> I'll think about putting in an option for up to 1024x multiple
> padding. Something I failed to mentioned in the help is that
> message size is limited to 16300 bytes. This is what the box
> program limits it to, 16kb (16384). I limit the main window to
> 16300. This is because small machines can not handle more, since
> all NaCl encryption is done in ram. If there is noise for bigger
> message capability later, I might up the box compile to 32kb and
> 64kb and allow the user to select which box executable to use.

I think it means encrypting in 16kb chunks, because I am able
to encrypt also large images in MB size.

Regards
Stefan

inwtx

Jul 20, 2019, 3:16:06โ€ฏPM7/20/19
Well, it that case I'll take out the memo window 16300
restriction.
v1.3 will be loaded in a minute.

Stefan Claas

Jul 20, 2019, 3:36:20โ€ฏPM7/20/19
inwtx wrote:

> v1.3 will be loaded in a minute.

Thanks! :-)

Regards
Stefan

Anonymous

Jul 21, 2019, 5:38:57โ€ฏAM7/21/19
In article <20190720200...@300baud.de> Stefan Claas wrote:

> Stefan Claas wrote:
>
> > inwtx wrote:
> >
> > > The ? help button works on my W7. It brings the help up in the
> > > default browser - strange.
> >
> > I just noticed that I had not defined a default browser on my
> > offline computer ... now it works too! :-)
> >
> > Really great software you did! I will recommend it also on
> > Mastodon, for other GnuPG / PGP users. ;-)
>
> Just did it. :-)
>
> BTW. I have never seen encryption software which gives users
> the ability to do padding with their messages, like Mixmaster
> or YAMN does.
>
> Do you think it would be possible for you to add message padding
> in the GUI Windows, after composing a message and prior encrypting?
>
> http://www.wiredyne.com/software/padding.html
>
> I proposed that also long ago on the GnuPG Mailing list and again
> also a while ago, but never received a reply ...

Such "padding" is what the frontend program has to do, not the GnuPG core.

> I suggested that long time ago here for a.a.m. users too but
> the replies have been not so good, IMHO.

It was more than a decade ago that Omnimix added dummy load to WME messages.

: 1.5.5 WME messages now with optional dummy load to disguise the real size.

http://danner-net.de/omom/tutorwme.htm

: Provided that the PGP keys of all recipients of a mail are available,
: OmniMix can be advised to encrypt the entire message, including the complete
: header section and some random dummy data to disguise its real size, into
: one single PGP message block and send it by means of a rudimentary header,
: which has to contain nothing but the mail addresses and maybe some
: 'X-Hashcash' tokens.

Nomen Nescio

Jul 21, 2019, 7:56:52โ€ฏAM7/21/19
On 2019-07-20 10:29, inwtx wrote:

> NaCl Box encryption, I wrote a program to make this similar

How to build it from sources? Need how-to.

inwtx

Jul 21, 2019, 8:12:42โ€ฏAM7/21/19
Without going into a lot of details, the box-master folder/files
are compiled with Golang and the NaCl Box Encryption program is
compiled with CodeTyphon.

Sir Gaygory's Owner's Owner ๐Ÿถ็ฌ›

Jul 21, 2019, 11:41:55โ€ฏAM7/21/19
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 07:12:40 -0500, LO AND BEHOLD; "inwtx"
<nor...@inwtx.net> determined that the following was of great
importance and subsequently decided to freely share it with us in
<qh1krp$330$1...@news.mixmin.net>:

โœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœก
โœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœกโœก

good thing all of these stupid build environments make things so "easy".

configure ; make ; make install was sooo difficult.

--
[THIS POAST HAS PASSED TRIMCHECKยฎ VALIDATION]

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB6B8jGSdLA

"Thanks to muzzies and their apologist-enablers like puppy whistle, this
seems to be the new norm in the world. It's spreading like a cancer,
and it's time we admit we're at war with pure evil. We need to put an
end to this muzzie plague, or life on Earth is going to become pure hell
everywhere. We need to get these people out of every civilized
country, and there's only one way to do it. IOW, we have to become
like them, with an emphasis on expediency over cruelty." - Checkmate (of alt.checkmate)

"Pussy Willow has just proven that Trump's crackdown on previously
unenforced immigration policies is working. We'll deal with the domestic
terrorists as needed, but we don't need to be letting the muzzie
terrorists get a foothold in our country too. One need only look at what
they're doing in Europe right now to know we're doing the right thing by
keeping them out, which is our right and our duty. - Checkmate (#1 pussy willow fan)

-

-

-

"I think we should destroy every last fucking mosque in America." - "Checkmate, DoW #1" <Lunatic...@The.Edge> proves for us that white males are violent in Message-ID: <MPG.32c5bfef...@news.altopia.com>

-

Golden Killfile, June 2005
KOTM, November 2006
Busted Urinal Award, April 2007
Tinfoil Sombrero, February 2007
AUK Mascot, September 2007

Stefan Claas

Jul 21, 2019, 12:05:38โ€ฏPM7/21/19
Hi inwtx,

I may install soon CodeTyphon too, for cross-compiling.

I have one question. Why did you changed the box code
and directory for the keys?

I tested my box compiled version with a base64 encoder
and your software and can report everything works fine.

Best regards
Stefan

Stefan Claas

Jul 22, 2019, 11:20:08โ€ฏAM7/22/19
inwtx wrote:

> Without going into a lot of details, the box-master folder/files
> are compiled with Golang and the NaCl Box Encryption program is
> compiled with CodeTyphon.

Hi inwtx,

pretty awesome your new 1.5 version, with the added file parameter! :-)

Regards
Stefan

inwtx

Jul 22, 2019, 1:52:26โ€ฏPM7/22/19
Thanks.

I thought of doing that after you said that you had encrypted a 3MB
file. It was fairly easy to redesign the code to switch between data
and file. I have tested encrypting 4.5MBs, creating the basecode64 data,
and decrypting it successfully. If you get a basecode64 non-text file in,
just right click on the main window and select the 'Write to file' menu
item. Then decrypt the file to a file.

I just put out 1.6 that fixed some inconsequential bugs. I just saw
your question 'Why did you changed the box code and directory for the
keys?'. It better describes where the keys are located.

We had to come back from the start of our trip yesterday for a repair,
but we will be leaving again early tomorrow. So I will not be available
again for some time.

Stefan Claas

Jul 22, 2019, 2:16:31โ€ฏPM7/22/19
Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated! Have a nice trip!

Best regards
Stefan

--
box: 4a64758de9e8ceded2c481ee526440687fe2f3a828e3a813f87753ad30847b56
GPG: C93E252DFB3B4DB7EAEB846AD8D464B35E12AB77 (avail. on Hagrid, WKD)