A look at the struggle of life after prison

stewart connor

Nov 10, 2004, 12:12:39 AM11/10/04
A look at the struggle of life after prison
By Michael Kenney, Globe Correspondent | November 9, 2004

Life on the Outside: The Prison Odyssey of Elaine Bartlett, By
Jennifer Gonnerman, Farrar, Straus and Giroux,, 356 pp., $24

News stories and academic studies invariably list among the causes of
urban violence the angry young men returning from prison to the
streets -- primed to take up the criminal activity from which being
locked up merely provided an interlude.

As Jennifer Gonnerman suggests in her compelling account of one
woman's life after prison, of the 600,000 men and women released from
prison each year, approximately 80 percent are placed on parole for
some period of time. And, she writes, "even for ex-prisoners who stay
out of trouble and get off parole, their punishment does not end.
Today a felony record functions like an invisible scarlet letter,
ensuring that former inmates are treated as outcasts whose debt to
society can never be fully repaid."

Such, Gonnerman writes, was the lot of Elaine Bartlett.

Bartlett was 26, a self-employed hairdresser, and the mother of four
young children when she was arrested in a sting for selling cocaine to
a police informant, convicted under New York's punitive drug laws, and
served 16 years in New York State's Bedford Hills Correctional
Facility.

Gonnerman, who grew up in Sudbury, is a staff writer for The Village
Voice, for which she has reported extensively on the criminal justice
system. "Life on the Outside," a finalist for the National Book Award
in nonfiction, grew out of stories recounting Bartlett's struggles
following her release from prison and return to her extended family's
apartment in a housing project on New York's Lower East Side.

Gonnerman reports the events that led up to Bartlett's arrest and
incarceration, but the core of the book is the struggle to rebuild her
life, the frustrations of parole, and her role as an anti-drug-law
activist.

Bartlett appears more fortunate than many former prisoners; she was
able to obtain a full-time job as as an aide in a residential
drug-treatment program within six months of her release. For the men
there, Gonnerman writes, Bartlett "was a role model -- a real-life
example of someone who had made it, who had lifted herself up from the
bottom of society and found her place in the workforce."

In her own life, however, she was trying to make up for lost time,
looking for a boyfriend to replace the man she had been arrested with,
who was still in prison. With the coming of warm weather, Gonnerman
writes, Bartlett "had been conducting an experiment of sorts, trying
to figure out how much sex appeal she still possessed." Finding
boyfriends "had been easy" at 26, "but what about at 42?"

She was also spending too freely, buying clothes, furnishings, and
gifts for her family. "You'll get all caught up in trying to please
people," another former prisoner told her.

During her first year out of prison, Bartlett took part in 10
anti-drug-law events, including a march on Albany, N.Y., and rallies
outside courthouses. "These rallies," writes Gonnerman, "were a
necessary form of therapy for Elaine, a way to release her rage
without using her fists."

With "Life on the Outside," Gonnerman has ventured onto treacherous
literary turf. It is no easy task to convert a series of newspaper
articles into a coherent book.

And it is even more challenging to attempt to examine a major social
issue through the narrow focus of one person's encounter with it -- as
not a few better-known writers than Gonnerman have found to their
dismay. Gonnerman has successfully met the challenge with a
sympathetic heart for Bartlett and an unblinking eye for social
injustice.

"Nobody in prison," Gonnerman writes, "fantasizes about returning home
to a low-wage job, a three-train commute, a pile of unpaid bills, an
angry daughter, a son in jail, a 9 p.m. curfew, an empty
refrigerator."

Such was Bartlett's situation on a bleak winter morning, three years
after her release, walking to her job with three maxed-out subway fare
cards in her pocketbook. But just going to work and staying out of
jail, Gonnerman writes, "constituted a triumph for any former
prisoner."

http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2004/11/09/a_look_at_the_struggle_of_life_after_prison?mode=PF

"Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is a merge of
State and Corporate power." ---Benito Mussolini, the father of modern
fascism.

Liberals Are Communists

Nov 10, 2004, 12:20:46 AM11/10/04
Stewart, you post a lot of prison-related stuff. Were you a
prisoner?

"stewart connor" <stewart...@netzero.com> wrote in message

Winston Smith, American Patriot

Nov 10, 2004, 1:51:30 AM11/10/04
"Liberals Are Communists" <CP...@Liberals.com> wrote in

> Stewart, you post a lot of prison-related stuff. Were you a
> prisoner?

So long as Bush holds power, the United States is a dungeon, and we're
all its prisoners.

stewart connor

Nov 10, 2004, 6:06:37 AM11/10/04
"Winston Smith, American Patriot" <Franz...@Oceania.WhiteHouse.GOV> wrote in message news:<Xns959D5A290...@64.164.98.6>...

> "Liberals Are Communists" <CP...@Liberals.com> wrote in
>
> > Stewart, you post a lot of prison-related stuff. Were you a
> > prisoner?

read the "Official FAQ for alt.prisons and alt.thebird.copwatch"
it is more informative than any answer to your question

Ravage

Nov 10, 2004, 6:25:46 AM11/10/04
Spoken like a true member of the liberal minority who, much to his horror,
discovers the playing field will no longer be tilted in his favor.

"Winston Smith, American Patriot" <Franz...@Oceania.WhiteHouse.GOV> wrote
in message news:Xns959D5A290...@64.164.98.6...

Winston Smith, American Patriot

Nov 10, 2004, 7:02:58 AM11/10/04
stewart...@netzero.com (stewart connor) wrote in

Any answer given in the alt.politics.bush group is official if you post a
question to it.

Besq

Nov 10, 2004, 7:13:54 AM11/10/04
"stewart connor" <stewart...@netzero.com> wrote in message

Why should we care? Most of us obey the law. We don't sell or use cocaine,
drugs, rob banks, carjack, etc. They get out early, if they break parole
they go back in. Why should they think they should be average Joe
Law-abiding Citizen when the rest of their sentence is still in effect.
They aren't "free" until the parole is ended. They broke the law, they pay
the penalty. It was their choice. I could have done the same, I could
easily have broken the law at a young age but I chose not to. That's the
difference. Spare me your sob stories.

Morphy's ghost

Nov 10, 2004, 9:41:44 AM11/10/04
In the year of our Lord 10 Nov 2004 03:06:37 -0800,
stewart...@netzero.com (stewart connor) wrote:

You can't give a straight answer on anything, can you?

Morphy's ghost

"Fascism should rightly be called Connorism because
it is an expression of Fascistic principles by
methods utilized by Stewart Connor. For example,
blanket condemnations of classes of people such
as Correctional Officers and Republicans harken
back to the yellow Stars of David and pink triangles
the Third Reich used in similar condemnations.
The attempt to control the thoughts of the populace
by telling them whose opinions they should listen
to and whose opinions they should ignore is the
moral equivalent of jack-booted thugs wrecking the
offices of opposition newspapers in the chaos of
Krystalnacht. And in the calm assumption that
Stewie makes that his opinions and directives are
neither to questioned or doubted, but merely
accepted and obeyed, do we not hear the echo of a
shrill-voiced Austrian ennunciating the theory of
the Fuhrer principle? Fascism should rightly be
called Connorism." -- Morphy's ghost

Christians_Exposed

Nov 10, 2004, 10:00:25 AM11/10/04
Never going to happen as crime and incarceration is far too valuable of a
political tool to keep the people in fear with. And that was before the
events of 9/11 so it is about ten times truer today than it was previously.
It is far to convenient to cater to the red states authoritarian "we'll show
them whose boss" mentality than to ever develop any long term rational
systems to reduce crime by reducing recidivism, (for you red state readers
that means going back to prison), even though by not doing so contributes to
perpetuating crime and puts society as a whole at greater risk.

The hard fact is that once you become entangled in the criminal justice
system, no matter what your crime against society was or what you do to
redeem yourself after your sentence is complete, your life as a free person
is over. It is an attitude that is derived from the old roman legal concept
of civil death, which is applied to all who have ever violated the laws of
society. Moreover, even though our alleged "moral values" are supposed to
have been derived from Christian thought, of which forgiveness is a central
concept, there is never to be any forgiveness for those convicted of crimes.

If you wish to spend your time engaged in social activism you and your
country might be better served in trying to bring to the attention of the
people the facts concerning that monstrosity known as the Patriot Act, and
how the current administration has for all practical purposes eliminated the
constitution with it. For those who value freedom and a free country this
is a much more pressing issue and time is rapidly running out.

The Religious Right is neither.

lawtears

Nov 10, 2004, 10:47:38 AM11/10/04
stewart...@netzero.com (stewart connor) wrote in message news:<cc9b3716.04111...@posting.google.com>...

But at the same time, won't actually answer your question.

BTW, the 'Official FAQ' has no questions in it and hence, can't be
called a FAQ. It is in no way FAQish, or in any way a 'howto' guide
regarding alt.prisons. Indeed, it's more like a rant.

Lawtears

Dermot Donovan

Nov 10, 2004, 5:15:38 PM11/10/04
There's always a way out! Good people only need to be creative, get help and
go for it!
If there's no way to arrange a normal life for yourself and your family, why
not escape from this fascist country and set yoursef free once and for all?

The world is big, and there are many countries, which are way more civil and
humane, than our country is. I personally have no felony records, but I am
leaving this country simply because I do not want to live under the
totalitarian fascist theocracy anymore.

For good, orderly people with felony records, there are possibilities like
this.

1) Move out of your state into another state, rent a modest apartment, stay
there for a few months.
2) Request a copy of your State Criminal Record. Since you are a new
resident of that state, it will come back clean. You may, or may not need it
to show the authorities of your new country. Get it just in case.
3) Get your U.S. Passport. Past felony conviction can not prevent you from
getting your Passport. Detailed information on how and where to get your
passport is available at: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ Get passports
for every member of your family.
4) Visit www.escapeartist.com Subscribe to their free e-mail newsletter.
Choose a country you want to escape to. Among the best countries are:
Belize, Costa Rica, Panama, Canada, Thailand, Singapore, and practically all
the countries of the European Union. Visit your local library, a bookstore
or www.amazon.com and get some books on living in different countries.
5) Only a few of those foreign countires require a visa for U.S. citizens.
Most of them don't. Check with their closest Consulate in the U.S., request
and get an entry Visa, if it is required. Buy your tickets and go!
6) Get in touch with a local community of American expatriats, as soon as
you arrive (you can establish those contacts even before you go, using the
Internet. Lots of info on this is available from www.escapeartist.com). Ask
for their help in getting a job, in establishing yourself in your new
country.
7) You may need to keep extending your tourist Visa, or a temoprary
residency permit. Say, in Belize, this was available to anyone at a cost of
$7 per month, based on my information from 2003. I believe this has not
changed. However, there are thousands of Americans in Belize who don't
bother to get that extension and not a single one of them has been deported,
to the best of my knowledge, and I know that country well.
8) That's it! Enjoy your newly-found freedom. Live an orderly, creative,
enjoyable life. You may have to get used to live without some of the things
you had in the U.S., but I'm yet to meet anyone who would complain about it.
In place of some things of luxury, you probably will enjoy a lot healthier
lifestyle, healthier food, less stress, less pollution, more accessible
heath care and much more freedom. Why suffer endlessly?

DD

Christians_Exposed

Nov 10, 2004, 5:26:59 PM11/10/04

The Religious Right is neither.

Thanks for the info.

Morphy's ghost

Nov 11, 2004, 1:35:54 AM11/11/04
In the year of our Lord 10 Nov 2004 13:13:26 -0800,
stewart...@netzero.com (stewart connor) wrote:

>"Besq" <Besq*ns*@ispwest.com> wrote in message news:<cmt0i...@enews1.newsguy.com>...

>> Why should we care? Most of us obey the law. We don't sell or use cocaine,
>> drugs, rob banks, carjack, etc. They get out early, if they break parole
>> they go back in. Why should they think they should be average Joe
>> Law-abiding Citizen when the rest of their sentence is still in effect.
>> They aren't "free" until the parole is ended. They broke the law, they pay
>> the penalty. It was their choice. I could have done the same, I could
>> easily have broken the law at a young age but I chose not to. That's the
>> difference. Spare me your sob stories.
>

>By "the law" which one are you referring to?
>
>I guarantee that you dont obey every law.
>For instance(I presume you are a Christian just based on probability)
>the Bible explains that all men are condemned by the law. Christ
>explained that to even look on a woman with desire in your heart is a
>sin... is breaking "the law"
>
>Your claim that you "obey the law" in fact proves your own hypocrisy.

Well, at least he doesn't deny the canonicity of half the New
Testament in order to make his faith fit his own beliefs. And since
you do, who are you to be lecturing him?

>And hypocrisy is the fundamental law that for example Shakespeare
>(just one example) tells us we must never do.

Nadacomin

Nov 11, 2004, 3:31:17 AM11/11/04
>Subject: Re: A look at the struggle of life after prison

>From: "Besq" Besq*ns*@ispwest.com
>Newsgroups: alt.prisons,

Besq writes:

I just love it when John or Jane Q Public sees one of these posts and responds!

They aren't "soft on crime", like the ex cons, criminal lovers, and, even
correction staff that post on this group are.
Yes, I included prison staff as being soft. We are softer than the public. We
talk to, deal with, and, take care of inmates every day. We are not as hard as
the public is, on them.
Most of the public would like to see the baby rapers, elderly abusers,
murderers, torturers, and thieves taken out into the prison yard and
machinegunned, and buried in a big ditch. Others would like to see them
buttfucked by bubba every day.
J.Q. Public sees you as the shitbag who raped thier nephew or niece, the
scumbag who shot thier brother, daughter or son in a driveby, or, the asshole
who broke into thier home and stole all thier shit when they were gone working,
or, on a much deserved vacation.
J.Q. Voter is not paid or trained to "rehabilitate" you, or take care of you
like prison staff is.
J.Q. Taxpayer is shocked and pissed off when they find out about the free cable
tv, and, free and good medical care, free education, and, even the pissy assed
piddly pay inmates get.
J.Q., for the most part, thinks that you bastards are still getting blisters
swinging a hoe or a sledge hammer, until they see a tv documentary about
prisons, or, they pin one of us corrections officers down and get us to tell
them what really goes on inside modern prisons. Or, they think it is like OZ,
with guys getting burned alive, shanked, and, buttfucked every "episode".
Most of you assholes should consider yourselves lucky that you don't have
access to mainstream media,that is considered "credible". ha ha ha
You would fuck yourselves real good then.
I wish this would happen. Then, maybe I could get a decent union contract, for
once.

"Don't mistake kindness for weakness"

Please visit CORRECTIONS BULLETIN BOARD: http://nadacomin.0catch.com/

Chip Douglas

Nov 11, 2004, 10:21:36 AM11/11/04
On 9 Nov 2004 21:12:39 -0800, stewart...@netzero.com (stewart
connor) wrote:

>A look at the struggle of life after prison
>By Michael Kenney, Globe Correspondent | November 9, 2004

{{snipped}}

What a bunch of bleeding heart crud. Prison is easily avoided. Just
obey the law. Millions of people manage to do it.

Morphy's ghost

Nov 11, 2004, 6:45:28 PM11/11/04
In the year of our Lord 11 Nov 2004 13:44:54 -0800,
stewart...@netzero.com (stewart connor) wrote:

>Chip Douglas <ChipD...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1p07p0d99n7acrph5...@4ax.com>...

>What a bunch of deluded misinformation,

Well, then tell us how you managed to avoid being locked up. Did you
bribe a judge? Suck off the cop who was going to arrest you? Marry
the governors daughter?

Or like everybody else, did you obey the law?

>Millions in america are in
>prisons
>being tortured often to death,

This statement shall be taken as being an outright lie until Stewie
cites a verifiable and reliable source for it.

> Let see that would be a crime if it
>were not hidden behind the razor wire and beauracracy that generations
>of corrupt politicians supported by the backwater towns getting rich
>bleeding taxpayers
>to torture prisoners...

Let's see. You claim that millions are being tortured in American
prisons. But as of December 31st, 2001, there were only 1.3 million
adults in state and federal prison. How can this possibly be? Are we
torturing everybody twice? Or are you making this up?

But let's look into this a little further. You claim that of these
millions who are being tortured, many of them are often tortured to
death. How many? Would a third of a million deaths count? That's
333,333 inmates tortured to death. Or maybe a tenth of a million
deaths would justify you claim that millions of Americans are often
tortured to death. That would be 100,000 dead convicts. Surely 1% of
convicts being tortured to death would be too low for the claims that
you are making here, as that would only be 10,000 convicts tortured to
death.

But if this is true, how can you possibly explain that there were only
3,175 inmate deaths out of that 1.3 million. And those deaths weren't
the result of torture either.

Here, read it for yourself:

Federal, State, and private correctional authorities
reported that 3,175 inmates had died during the
12-month period ending June 30, 2000, down from
3,311 reported in the same length period in 1995.
Relative to the number of inmates, the rate of death
dropped from 3.2 per 1,000 inmates in 1995 to 2.4 in
2000.

Illnesses or natural cause was the principal
cause of death among all inmates, including 85%
in Federal, 75% in State, and 66% in private
facilities. Acquired immune deficiency syndrome
(AIDS) was the second most frequent cause,
accounting for 13% in private, 10% in State, and
7% in Federal facilities. The remaining deaths
included suicide (5% to 9%), homicide (1% to
3%), and other causes, that is, executions,
accidents, and drug overdoses (1% to 9%).

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/ascii/csfcf00.txt

You are a liar, Stewie!!!

> and then have the census count them as high
>populated areas in need of greater political clout BY COUNTING THE
>VERY PRISONERS FROM WHOM THEY HAVE STOLEN THE RIGHT TO VOTE AS BEING
>REPRESENTED BY THOSE SAME CORRUPT POLITICIANS.

Man, YOU obviously are counting prisoners twice. Official govt.
statistics are not.

Save your lies for people who don't already know that you are a moron.

>Go FIgure.

Morphy's ghost

I intend to last long enough to put out of business all lying idiots such as dummydog and his ilk.

DCI

Nov 11, 2004, 10:08:44 PM11/11/04

Puleeeeeez do not confuse him with facts and analysis. The poor man
will have to adjust his claims nearer to reality. But don't expect it
soon.

DCI

Besq

Nov 11, 2004, 10:37:53 PM11/11/04

"stewart connor" <stewart...@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Chip Douglas <ChipD...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What a bunch of deluded misinformation, Millions in america are in
> prisons
> being tortured often to death, Let see that would be a crime if it

> were not hidden behind the razor wire and beauracracy that generations
> of corrupt politicians supported by the backwater towns getting rich
> bleeding taxpayers
> to torture prisoners... and then have the census count them as high

> populated areas in need of greater political clout BY COUNTING THE
> VERY PRISONERS FROM WHOM THEY HAVE STOLEN THE RIGHT TO VOTE AS BEING
> REPRESENTED BY THOSE SAME CORRUPT POLITICIANS.
>
> Go FIgure.

"Prisoners" who broke the law should have the right to participate in the
society they offended against?! All they have are minimal human rights,
that's all they are "entitled" to. If they are "tortured" who cares? As
for tortured to death, that's blatantly untrue.
They are locked away from us so we don't have to interact with them, see
them, or even think about them, that's the way we want it and that's the way
it will stay. Anyone who manages to make it to prison "earned" it.

_ G O D _

Nov 12, 2004, 2:45:00 AM11/12/04

> "Prisoners" who broke the law should have the right
> to participate in the society they offended against?!

Why shouldn't people be able to vote for representatives
of their individual interests, if society they live in does not
respect their rights to justice through a fair trial? They may
want to elect a person who'd change their lives for better
through improvements of the corrupt Judicial System that
railroaded them to prison, where slave labor of hostages
of the incarceration industry is being brutally and unfairly
exploited for the benefits of the rich cronies of the current
government...

> All they have are minimal human rights, that's all they
> are "entitled" to. If they are "tortured" who cares?
> As for tortured to death, that's blatantly untrue.

Apparently those people, whose human rights are being
blatantly violated and stomped upon, do care about them
being tortured through slavery, oppression and genocide
behind of the walls of prisons by agents of corrupt Judicial
System. And if they say it's true, it must be true. Because
no one knows better about their suffering, then individuals
who had experienced that infliction of suffering themselves...

> They are locked away from us so we don't have to interact
> with them, see them, or even think about them, that's the
> way we want it and that's the way it will stay. Anyone who
> manages to make it to prison "earned" it.

Individuals are being locked to be availed to torture against
them, for coercion into admission to their perceived guilt, for
their slave labor being brutally and unfairly exploited to gain
financial benefits for jailers, governments and their cronies,
for brazen and illegal practice of sadistic satisfaction by the
COck-suckers, who enjoy seeing agony in the eyes of their
victims in the capacity of hostages of incarceration industry.
No one who is being compelled to absorb atrocities of the
others, have "earned" it, because no one has expressed their
desire to be come a hostage of the incarceration industry
and its perpetuation of slavery for the benefits of oppressors.

All COck-suckers must die sooner rather than later, together
with the rest of the employees of the incarceration industry, and
all prisons should be destroyed and confinement of people
should be abolished not only in the US, but all over the world...

_____

I intend to last long enough to put out of business all COck-suckers
and other beneficiaries of the institutionalized slavery and genocide.

-----

"The army that will defeat terrorism doesn't wear uniforms, or drive
Humvees, or calls in air-strikes. It doesn't have a high command, or
high security, or a high budget. The army that can defeat terrorism
does battle quietly, clearing minefields and vaccinating children. It
undermines military dictatorships and military lobbyists. It subverts
sweatshops and special interests.Where people feel powerless, it
helps them organize for change, and where people are powerful, it
reminds them of their responsibility." ~~~~ Author Unknown ~~~~

Chip Douglas

Nov 12, 2004, 9:10:12 AM11/12/04
On 11 Nov 2004 13:44:54 -0800, stewart...@netzero.com (stewart
connor) wrote:

>Chip Douglas <ChipD...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1p07p0d99n7acrph5...@4ax.com>...

>What a bunch of deluded misinformation, Millions in america are in
>prisons
>being tortured often to death, Let see that would be a crime if it
>were not hidden behind the razor wire and beauracracy that generations
>of corrupt politicians supported by the backwater towns getting rich
>bleeding taxpayers
>to torture prisoners... and then have the census count them as high
>populated areas in need of greater political clout BY COUNTING THE
>VERY PRISONERS FROM WHOM THEY HAVE STOLEN THE RIGHT TO VOTE AS BEING
>REPRESENTED BY THOSE SAME CORRUPT POLITICIANS.
>
>Go FIgure.

Only a very small minority of people ever go to prison. Obey the law.
Hundred of millions mange to do it. It's really not that tough.

claytonvillanes

Nov 12, 2004, 10:39:37 AM11/12/04
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:10:12 GMT, Chip Douglas <ChipD...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

It habitual behaviors that often follow family lineages.

Asmodeus

Nov 12, 2004, 11:21:30 AM11/12/04
stewart...@netzero.com (stewart connor) wrote in

> America, wake up!!! The root of your corrupt politics has a breeding
> ground!!!
> and it has spread like a cancer across you america!!!

A few months ago, I wouldn't have thought it possible that
the moonbats would be even more crazy--but re-electing our
President seems to have done it. Now if we can just get
lithium in the water supply for all the blue states ...

--
/"\ ||
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN || The Right War

Morphy's ghost

Nov 12, 2004, 11:28:36 AM11/12/04
In the year of our Lord 12 Nov 2004 02:30:39 -0800,
stewart...@netzero.com (stewart connor) wrote:

>dummydog...@horsefactory.com (Morphy's ghost) wrote in message news:<4193f3d2...@newsgroups.bellsouth.net>...

> As you well know, since you seem to be obsessed with trying to claim
>that I
>am spreading bad info, 2.2 million is the number in prison (and local
>jails)...

OK. Next time be more specific. So now, if we torture every single
person once, we can just barely make your claim that millions are
being tortured in prison (and local jails) possible.

Of course we aren't torturing anybody, let alone every single soul, so
it's still a lie.

Now start explaining your lie that they are often tortured to death.
You've got the numbers there. Who is tortured to death and how often.
Let's see some numbers.

>and we must remember that the average local jail is a worse
>environment than the average prison. Yet with for example the
>posting just yesterday or the day before of the story of the prisoner
>being killed , as just posted a day or so ago

I didn't bother to read the article. I usually don't bother to read
the articles you post, as the ones that I do read frequently have
exaggerated claims or outright lies in them.

But, even were we to assume that everything in that article and your
interpretation of it documented a prisoner being tortured to death,
that still would be a grand total of ONE person out of ONE MILLION
THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND upon which you have based the lie that the
millions of prisoners are tortured, often to death.

>(with a couple of your
>buddies making snide remarks about how killing prisoners is a good
>idea) well I am not going to go further here since the truth is clear
>to those who have seen what you write... ie you are a filthy liar.

LOL. I'm a "filthy liar"? You had better look again. Your argument
is with those "filthy liars" at the Bureau of Justice Statistics!!!
How DARE those "filthy liars" refuse to twist the statistics that they
gather in order to fit them in with your warped world view!!! Sorry
Stewie, but everybody knows who the liar is.

>JUst look at the picture from Abu Grahib and know that those guards
>are what Murphy's-law keeps referring tp as professionals... they were
>gurads in Virginia before they left for Iraq.

Yeah, sure. Let's distract people so they don't notice the lies you
are telling. And let's make it something off the wall, like claiming
that how the US armed forces holds enemy combatants is exactly like
how state and federal prisons are run. Nobody will notice how bad you
fucked up that way, I'm sure.

>But the real point I want to keep reminding people of is the way that
>these backwaters, where to this day prisons are being built in huge
>expenditures, that are sucking blood money out of tax-payers who are
>asleep to cesspool of humanity and corruption, in the guise of prison
>guards, wardens, Internal Affairs(yeah right: "Aw shucks, cousin Bubba
>wouldn't do nothing like that, ah sware to ya suh") Ombudsmen("Yeah we
>know its bad but we cant do nothing")

When you finally get to where you can see what the system is like, you
will see that the charges you are flinging about so carelessly are, in
general, untrue. But right now, the topic is millions of prisoners
who are often tortured to death, which is also untrue.

>These cesspools of trashiy excuses for men are being fed these huge
>ammounts of money... The census counts the prisoners as being
>represented by the corrupt politicians of these backwaters...
>America you see that corruption is running the political process in
>your country... these prison backwaters are a breeding ground for the
>corrupt politicians.

The only person who is inflating the count of inmates in state and
federal prisons is yourself.

>Recall Bush giggling, "I dont need to talk to her, she is just going
>to say something like, 'Please dont kill me!' " when that woman whom
>he had executed was trying to get him to answer her pleas.

Recall Stewie giggling, "Remember those pictures from Iraq!" every
time he starts complaining about America's correctional system. If
you want to fight against the US armed forces detention of enemy
combatants, by all means go somewhere and do that. If not, shut up
about it here, where it is off topic.

>America, wake up!!! The root of your corrupt politics has a breeding
>ground!!!
>and it has spread like a cancer across you america!!!

I'd tell America to wake up, because Stewie was trying to mobilize
opposition against the justice system based on lies and exaggerations,
but I think America has already figured this one out.

> "Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is a merge of
>State and Corporate power." ---Benito Mussolini, the father of modern
>fascism.

Aaron Hirshberg

Nov 10, 2004, 5:00:01 PM11/10/04
stewart...@netzero.com (stewart connor) wrote in message news:<cc9b3716.04110...@posting.google.com>...

> A look at the struggle of life after prison
> By Michael Kenney, Globe Correspondent | November 9, 2004

If she had made the white, I mean right, kind of deal, like Oliver
North, she could have gone to work for CNN!

Aaron Hirshberg

stewart connor

Nov 11, 2004, 1:43:31 PM11/11/04
nada...@aol.com (Nadacomin) wrote in message news:<20041111033117...@mb-m17.aol.com>...

> >Subject: Re: A look at the struggle of life after prison
>
> >From: "Besq" Besq*ns*@ispwest.com
> >Newsgroups: alt.prisons,
>
> Besq writes:
>
> >"stewart connor" <stewart...@netzero.com> wrote in message
> >Why should we care? Most of us obey the law. We don't sell or use cocaine,
> >drugs, rob banks, carjack, etc. They get out early, if they break parole
> >they go back in. Why should they think they should be average Joe
> >Law-abiding Citizen when the rest of their sentence is still in effect.
> >They aren't "free" until the parole is ended. They broke the law, they pay
> >the penalty. It was their choice. I could have done the same, I could
> >easily have broken the law at a young age but I chose not to. That's the
> >difference. Spare me your sob stories.
>
> I just love it when John or Jane Q Public sees one of these posts and responds!

Again you seem to be posting while on some kind of stoned binge.
Or do you actually claim a bigot, with an anonymous account(ie too
much of a coward to tell anyone who he is... oh yeah that's you too)
called "Liberals Are Communists" is a typical american. A person who
spews hate even in their own chosen handle.

But since you seem to believe in this right wing mind control that has
been imprinted on your head I guess there is little hope in trying to
get you to think for yourself.
Again I mention to you, if you are honest with yourself can you make
any claim that the Iraq war is not solely about corporate greed... Oil
companies jockeying to see which of them rules the world. You voted
for a puppet regime to run your country.

Your job as a prison guard is fundamentally as an enforcer of a
criminal government... ie nothing but a stooge in the mafia... there
is a better path. Maybe one day you will get on it.

lawtears

Nov 12, 2004, 6:29:12 PM11/12/04
"_ G O D _" <xdemi...@sprint.ca> wrote in message news:<LRZkd.240$Su4....@newscontent-01.sprint.ca>...

> "Besq" <Besq*ns*@ispwest.com> wrote
> >

> > "Prisoners" who broke the law should have the right
> > to participate in the society they offended against?!
>
> Why shouldn't people be able to vote for representatives
> of their individual interests, if society they live in does not
> respect their rights to justice through a fair trial?

Again, you tar everywhere with the same brush. How do you know
that in Britain you won't get a fair trial? Unfair trials are
a bit of a hot topic here. It's not very common.

> They may
> want to elect a person who'd change their lives for better
> through improvements of the corrupt Judicial System that
> railroaded them to prison,

Which is a fair point. Here, we've got countless groups around
to support prisoners, politically and otherwise. Btw, they are
charities and non-government organisations, so the corruption
arguement won't nearly have the same effect.

> where slave labor of hostages
> of the incarceration industry is being brutally and unfairly
> exploited for the benefits of the rich cronies of the current
> government...
>
> > All they have are minimal human rights, that's all they
> > are "entitled" to. If they are "tortured" who cares?
> > As for tortured to death, that's blatantly untrue.
>
> Apparently those people, whose human rights are being
> blatantly violated and stomped upon, do care about them
> being tortured through slavery, oppression and genocide
> behind of the walls of prisons by agents of corrupt Judicial
> System.

I was happy enough with this paragraph until I came across this:

> And if they say it's true, it must be true.

Jesus, mother of God. Are you sure you're actually an experienced
man who's moved half way accross the world? You're not a spotty
18yo bullshitting in Canada? General experience leads me to believe
that if anyone says X is true, it only might be and in some
circumstances, probably isn't.

> Because
> no one knows better about their suffering, then individuals
> who had experienced that infliction of suffering themselves...

Well, granted that prisoners would have a deep understanding of
prison life. However, don't forget to objectify things. These
men will have highly subjective feelings towards prisons and this
does influence opinions and events negatively. You can't simply
say that because prisoners don't like it, prisons should be shut
down.

People/politicians do argue for prison. Have you thought of taking
the US equivalent of our Home Office Minister (the politician in
charge of prisons here), getting his arguements about prison and
taking it appart? It would be good to get some pro-active
discussion about current debate than your usual "someone died
somewhere" or "my banishment solution it great."

> > They are locked away from us so we don't have to interact
> > with them, see them, or even think about them, that's the
> > way we want it and that's the way it will stay. Anyone who
> > manages to make it to prison "earned" it.
>
> Individuals are being locked to be availed to torture against
> them, for coercion into admission to their perceived guilt, for
> their slave labor being brutally and unfairly exploited to gain
> financial benefits for jailers, governments and their cronies,
> for brazen and illegal practice of sadistic satisfaction by the
> COck-suckers, who enjoy seeing agony in the eyes of their
> victims in the capacity of hostages of incarceration industry.
> No one who is being compelled to absorb atrocities of the
> others, have "earned" it,

> because no one has expressed their
> desire to be come a hostage of the incarceration industry

Have you never considered it society's condition of citizenship
is to obey the law and those who don't are to be punished as
society sees fit. If you don't like it, you don't have to live
there. You yourself made the choice to go to Canada (I'm
presuming.) Do you accept that if you break the law and
genuinly do harm, that you will be punished for it?

Lawtears

stewart connor

Nov 12, 2004, 10:02:45 PM11/12/04
"Besq" <Besq*ns*@ispwest.com> wrote in message news:<cn1b3...@enews2.newsguy.com>...

> All they have are minimal human rights,
> that's all they are "entitled" to. If they are "tortured" who cares? As
> for tortured to death, that's blatantly untrue.
> They are locked away from us so we don't have to interact with them, see
> them, or even think about them, that's the way we want it and that's the way
> it will stay. Anyone who manages to make it to prison "earned" it.

I see we have here another member of the filthy liar club.

http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/iraqis_tortured/
Understand that these guards in Iraq are coming from professional jobs
as guards in the US prisons.

Shotgun

Nov 22, 2004, 11:26:48 PM11/22/04
Too bad their emphasis wasn't on life before prison.

stewart connor

Nov 23, 2004, 11:36:53 AM11/23/04
"Shotgun" <no...@none.com> wrote in message news:<30fsg8F...@uni-berlin.de>...

> Too bad their emphasis wasn't on life before prison.

And clearly, judging from your less than empathetic attitude,
neither is your emphasis on life.