Hillary in Wonderland...

Trawley Trash

Jun 4, 2016, 2:12:29 AM6/4/16
It was not long ago that Donald Trump announced that he was going to
"make America great again." Some of you may remember Hillary's
rejoinder: "America has always been great." Not so.

This coming June 7 is not only the end of the primary season, but it is
also an important anniversary. We should all take a moment to remember
what happened forty-eight years ago on that date. Robert Kennedy,
brother of the assassinated president, won the California Democratic
primary and enough delegates to secure his nomination. At the center
of his platform was opposition to the Vietnam War. That very evening
Robert was assassinated. President Lyndon Johnson had allowed Robert
to run in the primaries on condition that his delegates would be
pledged to vote for Vice President Humphrey if for any reason Robert
Kennedy were unable to accept the nomination. So all of Kennedy's
delegates were now pledged to Humphrey.

Humphrey made an astonishing admission at the Democratic convention in
Chicago that year. He claimed he had opposed the war all along. Yet
in January he had stumped the country drumming up support for the war
claiming it was a "great adventure in democracy." That summer blood
ran in the streets outside the convention as protests outside
were brutally suppressed. Richard Nixon did not win the presidency in
1968. The democrats lost it by shooting themselves in the foot.

Now forty-eight years later we are in an eerily similar situation. Yet
another war that seems to have no purpose and no end is wasting
American lives and treasure. What began as a promise of bringing
democracy to the middle east has morphed to a poly-lateral mess where
no one knows who is on which side. The sad result of the Vietnam was
was assured when we assassinated Ngo Diem, the President of the nation
we were in Vietnam to defend. The sad result of our adventures in the
Middle East has been assured now that we assassinate former allies
like Osama Bin-Laden and Saddam Hussein.

Once again we have an ant-war candidate running against an insider who
pretends she was against the war all along. But the Secretary of
State she was in charge of gathering intelligence that should have
warned us of the formation of ISIS. Now she blames Obama; she claims
she had to follow his marching orders. But in a democracy a cabinet
member who disagrees with policy has an obligation speak out and
resign. Hillary did not speak out against the war; she was on of the
architects of that debacle known as Arab Spring.

Hillary Clinton was also a political figure forty-eight years ago. In
1964 she began her career working for pro-war Republican Barry
Goldwater. By 1968 the war was killing American boys at the rate of a
thousand a month, and there were anti-war demonstrations all over the
nation. To save her career she changed parties and blamed the war on
Richard Nixon. My grandmother, who had known Eleanor Roosevelt
personally warned me in 1972 that I would have to blame the war on
Richard Nixon. A brilliant young woman named Hillary Rodham had come up
with a plan to restore the democratic party by demonizing President
Nixon. It didn't matter that I was drafted for the war in 1968, the
voters were stupid, and they would believe Nixon was president then.

Richard Nixon didn't take office until 1969, and anyway I was drafted
in 1967. There in the induction center in downtown Los Angeles an
officious lieutenant with a Carolina accent informed us that the
national emergency which required us to work for approximately nothing
for the next five years was the need to "kill gooks and slopes and save
(our) girlfriends and mothers from the Chinese communist menace."

I grew up a Californian, and I knew that this Back Easter would call
some of my friends and neighbors gooks and slopes. My grandmother was
a communist., and as far as I could tell our obligation was two years
rather than five. So I walked out. For that I spent two weeks in jail.

When I finally did go in the Army it was 1968. I was beginning basic
training at Fort Ord when Robert Kennedy was assassinated. The Army
showed our officers a film, and a few of the enlisted men saw it too.
Our officers were taught this as an example of a perfectly run military
coup; it was the Zapruder film. The footage was taken of the
assassination of Robert Kennedy's brother in 1963.

Now it has been decades since those days of infamy. In all
those years the voters have been carefully protected from having any
chance to vote against the endless wars we have had since that
day. Until now.

Hillary Clinton cannot unify the Democratic Party. The insistence of
some party leaders that we must stand behind this fraud of a politician
only strengthens my conviction that the selection process was rigged
from the beginning. It is not the Bernie supporters who should leave
the party, but Hillary Clinton. She should join her longtime friend
Donald Trump as a Republican.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.