Monopoly control

Diesel

Apr 19, 2015, 12:43:53 PM4/19/15
Walmart has the buying power now to dictate to you the manufacturer
how what and where you will sell them the products and for what
price. Oh yes, even duracell can't dictate terms. If walmart tells
them they want so many styles of battery for such price, they get
it. Or, walmart gives the floor space to a competitor. Pissing
walmart off if your a manufacturer/supply is a bad business decision
these days. Ayep. Suck on that.

--
Hey, I found your nose. It was in my business again.

SeaNymph

Apr 19, 2015, 2:34:21 PM4/19/15
On 4/19/2015 11:42 AM, Diesel wrote:
> Walmart has the buying power now to dictate to you the manufacturer
> how what and where you will sell them the products and for what
> price. Oh yes, even duracell can't dictate terms. If walmart tells
> them they want so many styles of battery for such price, they get
> it. Or, walmart gives the floor space to a competitor. Pissing
> walmart off if your a manufacturer/supply is a bad business decision
> these days. Ayep. Suck on that.

Surely you realize that the power that Walmart holds is due, in part, to
Americans desire to have cheap products. Of course, that has come back
to haunt them when lead paint is discovered in toys and other things
that we don't use here are found.

Personally, I'll pay more money to buy something that's made in America.
Problem is, sometimes those things are hard to find.

OG38

Apr 19, 2015, 3:37:21 PM4/19/15
Made in China is hard to avoid these days, but I try whenever possible
to stick with Made In USA. I have a Viking kitchen and it can not be
beat for quality Made In USA. Most of my furniture is from Thomasville,
North Carolina. Light Bulbs are all from China. :)

--
OG38
Troll News Contributor

burfordTjustice

Apr 20, 2015, 7:32:54 AM4/20/15
On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 16:42:54 +0000 (UTC)
Diesel <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:

> Walmart has the buying power now to dictate to you the manufacturer
> how what and where you will sell them the products and for what
> price. Oh yes, even duracell can't dictate terms. If walmart tells
> them they want so many styles of battery for such price, they get
> it. Or, walmart gives the floor space to a competitor. Pissing
> walmart off if your a manufacturer/supply is a bad business decision
> these days. Ayep. Suck on that.

Oh Boo fucking Hooo

JesseJames

Apr 20, 2015, 2:47:18 PM4/20/15

"OG38" <oldgr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Several years ago I went to see a development site and meet the owner in
Thomasville. I axed directions to the owner's office at a fast food place
and was told to drive north and the office was on the left two blocks past
the big chair. I started to axe about the big chair but stopped because
surely one would recognize it when driving past it. Sure 'nough!
http://www.learnnc.org/lp/multimedia/8266

SeaNymph

Apr 20, 2015, 3:28:47 PM4/20/15
Yep, that's a big chair!!

My husband makes a lot of the furniture things I want. Since he's a bit
of a perfectionist its takes a bit more time than I'd like though :)

Aardvark

Apr 21, 2015, 1:38:23 PM4/21/15
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 14:28:45 -0500, SeaNymph
<SeaN...@deepbluesea.com> wrote:
> My husband makes a lot of the furniture things I want. Since he's a
bit
> of a perfectionist its takes a bit more time than I'd like though :)

A great maxim for any tradesman to live by: never show an idiot or a
woman a job half done. :-D

SeaNymph

Apr 21, 2015, 2:19:28 PM4/21/15
LOL
I don't usually get to see what he's working on until the dry fit stage.
By then, it's out of my control :)

Uncle Monster

Apr 21, 2015, 9:46:27 PM4/21/15
My Chromebook would cost two thousand dollars if it was manufactured in USA. Apple products are ridiculously expensive even though they're made with the same parts as gear priced at a third of what Apple charges. That's why I don't own any current Apple products. 8~)

[8~{} Uncle Monster

~BD~

Apr 22, 2015, 3:00:27 AM4/22/15
On 22/04/2015 02:46, Uncle Monster wrote:
[....]
> My Chromebook would cost two thousand dollars if it was manufactured in USA. Apple products are ridiculously expensive even though they're made with the same parts as gear priced at a third of what Apple charges. That's why I don't own any current Apple products. 8~)
>
> [8~{} Uncle Monster

Welcome to Scorched-Earth, U.Monster! :-)

Two questions, if I may?

Have you explored the Chromebook information available here?
http://bearware.info/index.html

You may find it useful!

Have you visited an Apple shop in the fairly recent past, and 'played'
with their products? The shop here looks much like the one we have in
Exeter, Devon, UK! https://www.apple.com/retail/thesummit/

I bought my current iMac in 2008. I just might treat myself to another
iMac for my big birthday later this year!
http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/

I know it's an expensive indulgence, but it's cheaper than a Ferrari! ;-)

Good luck with your health issues.

--
David B.
(aka BoaterDave or BD for short!)

SeaNymph

Apr 22, 2015, 8:13:42 AM4/22/15
There are many reasons I would never consider an Apple product, and
that's just one of them :)

~BD~

Apr 22, 2015, 8:23:11 AM4/22/15
On 22/04/2015 13:13, SeaNymph wrote:

> There are many reasons I would never consider an Apple product, and
> that's just one of them :)

An interesting comment. If you wish to develop your argument, I'll be
happy to read your comments.

Do you have any EXPERIENCE of using Apple products, SeaNymph?

SeaNymph

Apr 22, 2015, 10:35:41 AM4/22/15
First of all, its not an argument of any type, its a statement of fact.

Secondly, my opinion of Apple products is based on a variety of
information, both first hand and anecdotal. I don't like the products,
I don't like their proprietary nature and I'm simply not impressed with
them. Besides, I think they are ridiculously over priced.

OG38

Apr 22, 2015, 10:47:25 AM4/22/15
I have hands on experience with Apple products and found that their
video and audio quality on some products are superior to most off the
shelf other products. However this advantage can be duplicated on any
of the other off the shelf product with an add on bringing the off the
shelf PC into the price range of of the Apple products. Most of the
inside components are made by 3rd party vendors and are no different
than the off the shelf other products. That said, my HP DC-7600 that is
now 14 years old with a duel core 3.2 Ghz processor with a Samsung 23"
Monitor and Altec Lancing HIFI speaker system will produce the same
visual and audio effects as the Apple products. Therefore if audio and
video super quality are of no interest the off the shelf PC will suffice
for the average PC user, and the savings can be substantial. Non
related comparison: Opel/Bentley They both will get you to Phoenix by
morning. :) Now then you have an iMac for a specific reason. <g>

OG38

Apr 22, 2015, 10:49:03 AM4/22/15
On 04/22/2015 07:23 AM, ~BD~ wrote:
[...]

PS: Happy Earth Day.

~BD~

Apr 22, 2015, 11:38:00 AM4/22/15
Thank you for your comments, OG! :-)

With all your experience, perhaps you could advise me if I could run
Linux on my iMac? If so, just HOW would I start off?

TIA

~BD~

Apr 22, 2015, 11:54:25 AM4/22/15
On 22/04/2015 15:35, SeaNymph wrote:
> On 4/22/2015 7:23 AM, ~BD~ wrote:
>> On 22/04/2015 13:13, SeaNymph wrote:
>>
>>> There are many reasons I would never consider an Apple product, and
>>> that's just one of them :)
>>
>> An interesting comment. If you wish to develop your argument, I'll be
>> happy to read your comments.
>>
>> Do you have any EXPERIENCE of using Apple products, SeaNymph?
>>
> First of all, its not an argument of any type, its a statement of fact.

Of course. I don't wish to argue with you.

> Secondly, my opinion of Apple products is based on a variety of
> information, both first hand and anecdotal. I don't like the products,
> I don't like their proprietary nature and I'm simply not impressed with
> them. Besides, I think they are ridiculously over priced.

I asked "Do you have any EXPERIENCE of using Apple products, SeaNymph?"

You decided not to answer my question, as is your wont.

Thanks for your comments though.

burfordTjustice

Apr 22, 2015, 12:18:08 PM4/22/15

Uncle Monster

Apr 22, 2015, 12:21:17 PM4/22/15
Heck, I forgot that Bearware had gone Chromebook. Me and Dufas both have Acer C710-2833 Chromebooks w/11.6 inch screen. We got the AmazonBasics laptop bag for this size laptop and the 1 inch thick 3 pound Chromebook has become what we grab whenever we must go to the hospital. Wallet, keys, cell phone and documents will go in the laptop bag making it very easy to have essential items close at hand. The hospitals and nursing homes have WiFi now which makes it easy to stay in touch via The Internet
and of course, to watch videos. Chromie, my Chromebook has become my constant companion when I'm away from home and he keeps me from going insane. o_O

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314074

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 12:26:14 PM4/22/15
On 4/21/2015 8:46 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Is a Chromebook similar to a tablet or more like a laptop?

--
Jenn

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 12:46:08 PM4/22/15
Does thunderbird work on a chromebook? I know you mentioned posting via
GG. I can't stand GG! It's a mess and a pain to post to usenet from
it, but easier via thunderbird.

--
Jenn

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 12:50:06 PM4/22/15
~BD~ wrote:
> run Linux on my iMac?

IMO, the first step is (always) running a live linux preferably from USB
as opposed to optical.

It turns out the Mac is trickier than other hardware/bios to write a USB
to boot.

I think this 2013 Jun makeuseof article is good for descriptions and
screenshots

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-boot-a-linux-live-usb-stick-on-your-mac/
How to Boot A Linux Live USB Stick On Your Mac

The key here is the SevenBits Mac Linux USB Loader
http://sevenbits.github.io/Mac-Linux-USB-Loader/

https://github.com/SevenBits/Mac-Linux-USB-Loader/wiki

Before you can make use of that information for the first time, some
kind of exposure to the process of choosing a distro is necessary, as
the numbers of choices are legion. The Mint family has ascended to
popularity over its 'parent' Ubuntu, but there are very many good
choices which should be dictated to the newby by new user friendliness,
in this case where the new user is coming from Mac instead of Win.

The ecology of the linux 'world' is so vast that there is not a simple
way to begin the excursion, except to mention that the site DistroWatch
is excellent for orientation and links to 'too many' distros, just like
an encyclopedia contains 'too much' information (NOT!).

One of the beauties of the ability to make a USB stick is the
opportunity to 'taste' many many different linux distro choices very
easily and very quickly.

After that process, the next step would that of making a choice of one
of the several distros that you may have tasted and 'co-installing' it
on the iMac. That brings up a new set of problems about shrinking the
Mac part and working the bootloader differences vs reinstalling the OS X
before co-installing a linux. Too much info for your first baby steps.

Since you can't begin to boot a live linux until you have chosen your
first one to taste/test, your first assignment would be to survey the
field of linux to try to pick out one or two you are interested. No one
can do that for you.
--
Mike Easter

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 12:53:05 PM4/22/15
On 4/22/2015 11:50 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> ~BD~ wrote:
>> run Linux on my iMac?
>
> IMO, the first step is (always) running a live linux preferably from USB
> as opposed to optical.

q: Can you run linux from a usb flash drive if you have windows 7? I
have one of those flash drives. Might be fun to give it a try.

--
Jenn

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 12:57:17 PM4/22/15
Jenn wrote:
> Does thunderbird work on a chromebook?

No. One glaring weakness of the chrome OS is the absence of any kind of
nntp news agent. The solutions to that include hacking the chromebook
to run a linux via Crouton, which keeps getting easier and easier, as
google makes running linux in a chrome OS window possible.

--
Mike Easter

OG38

Apr 22, 2015, 1:01:31 PM4/22/15
Theoretically Linux should run on your iMac. Here is a guy on youtube
that knows dick shit about computers you should watch before making any
attempts at installing Linux. Here is a link to get you started:

https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/810295-the-top-11-best-linux-distros-for-2015
A CD of the OS can be bought, or you can download the OS and burn an
image to install. You also might want to look into this:
http://tinyurl.com/owkmre3 LapTop 14"
http://tinyurl.com/p4g6rby LapTop 17"
https://system76.com/desktops DeskTop (Variety)

Good Luck

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 1:10:13 PM4/22/15
Jenn wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> IMO, the first step is (always) running a live linux preferably from USB
>> as opposed to optical.
>
> q: Can you run linux from a usb flash drive if you have windows 7? I
> have one of those flash drives. Might be fun to give it a try.

Absolutely. That activity is being pursued by ever increasing numbers
of Windows users. One 'wave' is that of those whose old XP hardware
needs a modern operating system which will run well on the hardware,
which does not include newer Windows versions. The next wave is that of
those whose hardware is newer than XP, such as Vista or Win7, who have
no interest in Win8 or 10.

Another wave is those who are basically happy with their Win, but are
curious about what it is that the linux users are enjoying that they
don't know anything about.

There is a requirement that one broaden their knowledge base. In the
first place, it is necessary to somehow get an idea of what 'linux' is;
which you might compare to what 'art' is -- namely 'a lot of different
things'.

If one says, well, desktop linux is the linux kernel with a variety of
different desktop environments on top and several different repository
bases underneath, that doesn't actually help you yet to choose a DE or a
base to test/taste.

--
Mike Easter

SeaNymph

Apr 22, 2015, 1:11:12 PM4/22/15
Really? I did answer your question above when I said "first hand"
experience. Did you miss that?

SeaNymph

Apr 22, 2015, 1:11:32 PM4/22/15
Thank you. That seemed fairly clear to me.

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 1:19:01 PM4/22/15
Won't thunderbird work on chromebook for a news agent along with email?

--
Jenn

burfordTjustice

Apr 22, 2015, 1:23:18 PM4/22/15
Welcome.
Remember bd was failed in flight school, push out
of the Navy early and made to leave the "finance company".
He is a dim bulb.

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 1:23:27 PM4/22/15
Well ... if I tried it, I'd want to be able to use it on my old Windows
xp laptop and my desktop Windows 7. Would one version of it on a flash
drive work on 2 OS's at the same time w/o any trouble?

That might be fun to try because my old laptop still is on windows xp,
but I'd like to try something fun with it.

--
Jenn

burfordTjustice

Apr 22, 2015, 1:24:08 PM4/22/15
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:19:00 -0500
Jenn <therealm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/22/2015 11:57 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> > Jenn wrote:
> >> Does thunderbird work on a chromebook?
> >
> > No.
>
> Won't thunderbird work on chromebook for a news agent along with
> email?

A bd with saggy tits.

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 1:32:16 PM4/22/15
No, again.

Tb works on the following OSes; Mac, Linux, Windows. Tb does NOT work
on the following OSes, Android, Chrome, iOS.

The trick to having any kind of nntp agent, Tb or otherwise, on a
chromeOS is to get some kind of OS on-board (with or alternative to)
which DOES run Tb, such as some linux, which will run on the chromebook
hardware which is natively 'linuxy'.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 1:48:07 PM4/22/15
Jenn wrote:
> Well ... if I tried it, I'd want to be able to use it on my old Windows
> xp laptop and my desktop Windows 7. Would one version of it on a flash
> drive work on 2 OS's at the same time w/o any trouble?

Because the linux kernel and live linux strategies have evolved so far
while being 'hamstrung' by hardware developers keeping proprietary
secrets over the past decades of MS domination, it became necessary for
the live linux boot to become 'brilliant' at recognizing all manner of
the myriad different kinds of potential hardware which might be on the
users' computer.

Consequently, as a general rule, you can expect a modern linux distro to
be able to boot on the old XP hardware as well as the newer Win7
hardware, which incidentally might not be the case for the various
versions of Windows. That is, your Win7's hardware OEM may not have
made XP drivers available for its parts; and your XP's hardware OEM may
not have made Win7 drivers available for its parts.

That being said, sometimes old hardware has some 'deficiencies' when it
comes to the most modern linux kernels which keep evolving toward newer
hardware and graphics.

Sometimes the linux newby who wants to use a linux distro on old
hardware needs to have some insight into what kind of CPU, how much ram,
and what kinds of graphics capabilities the old hardware has.

What are such stats on this XP laptop? When it is booting and you see
the BIOS POST, what year is the BIOS? What is the cpu, ram & video? Is
it a separate vid card or off the support chips? Is the laptop ethernet
or wifi? What is the wifi chipset?

--
Mike Easter

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 1:58:19 PM4/22/15
I'll try to get that info when I get home and can look it up on my
laptop. I don't have it with me right now. :)

--
Jenn

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 2:05:00 PM4/22/15
Mike Easter wrote:
> Tb does NOT work on the following OSes, Android, Chrome, iOS.

Here's an interesting strategy that I don't know much about.

http://www.alwaysonpc.com/mobile/get-Thunderbird-email-client-on-iPad
using Thunderbird email client on iPad is now possible!

It appears to me at first glance that what the alwayson app is doing is
providing an app which accesses a webserver which webserver runs various
other apps such as Tb or an office suite or whatever.

If alwayson can do that, then it would seem that any of them (android,
chromeos) could (potentially) as well. One commenter said that it didn't
work well because of lag.

Then, there is another strategy with the chromebook, namely the chrome
remote desktop, which allows the chromebook to access another computer
remotely.

The other computer could be running Tb, or anything else for that matter.

--
Mike Easter

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 2:06:36 PM4/22/15
On 4/22/2015 12:48 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
... forgot to ask ... how larges are the files to run a linux distro on
a flash drive? I have a couple gigs of space left on it right now.

--
Jenn

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 2:16:03 PM4/22/15
Jenn wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> What are such stats on this XP laptop? When it is booting and you see
>> the BIOS POST, what year is the BIOS? What is the cpu, ram & video? Is
>> it a separate vid card or off the support chips? Is the laptop ethernet
>> or wifi? What is the wifi chipset?
>
> I'll try to get that info when I get home and can look it up on my
> laptop. I don't have it with me right now. :)

Typically when I am getting ready to pick a linux for a particular
hardware that is currently booting a Windows, I look in several
different places if I haven't already made notes in a spreadsheet about
my hardware capabilities:

- what does the BIOS POST have to say
- what does Windows device manager say
- what does SIW (or similar^1) say

Then I may supplement the information there by looking up the
capabilities of that hardware somewhere like the wikipedia. SIW has
changed some of its policies over the years about what is free and what
isn't; I think I'm using an older portable version^2.

^1
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-system-information-utility.htm
Best Free System Information Utility

^2 http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=159 SIW 2011 (also note comments)

--
Mike Easter

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 2:18:06 PM4/22/15
hmmm I'm not good with all the hardware stuff ... I may need some help
figuring all that out.

--
Jenn

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 2:40:50 PM4/22/15
Jenn wrote:
> ... forgot to ask ... how larges are the files to run a linux distro on
> a flash drive? I have a couple gigs of space left on it right now.

That's not going to work; not the issue about the couple of gigs, the
issue about not dedicating the flash to the linux.

You should keep that flash for whatever storage you are using it for,
and get another (or more :-) for dedicating to linux propositions.

Linux distros can be as small as say 200 meg or combo packs of more than
4 G. Flash drives started small, but nowadays even big ones like 16 G
are pretty cheap. I have all sizes 'around me' 1s 2s 4s 8s 32, etc.

The reason you can't (easily) use your current storage thumb for the
linux is because the easiest way to create a bootable USB is for the app
which does it to 'take over' the thumb drive for its bootable linux purpose.

When you get more adept at making USB bootables, you can put more than
one on a drive, but that is more advanced. For the beginning, it would
be better to have a dedicated drive. You have more flexibility if you
get a 4G instead of a little 1 or 2.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 2:46:29 PM4/22/15
Jenn wrote:
> hmmm I'm not good with all the hardware stuff ... I may need some help
> figuring all that out.

Let us start with the ram from the device manager or system info.

Win7/ Start/ CP Control Panel/ (depending on your view) System -or-
System & Security/ System/

That will show you your ram and processor.

--
Mike Easter

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 2:55:57 PM4/22/15
rats ... I'll have to buy some flash drives, then. :)

--
Jenn

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 2:57:10 PM4/22/15
I'll find that when I get home tonight. :)

--
Jenn

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 3:14:53 PM4/22/15
Jenn wrote:
> I'll find that when I get home tonight

XP/ Start/ Setttings/ CP/ System/ - the first tab is General which shows
the cpu and ram. The hardware tab has a Device Manager button where you
can access useful info like Display adapters, and network adapters.

The potential problem sometimes here is that some XP computers are very
old and very 'weak' resource-wise in terms of not much ram and ancient
video capability. XP didn't need much ram, and some systems didn't come
with much video capability.

You can run a linux on practically anything, but your choices are more
limited on severely restricted hardware.

The other little snag sometimes is that some wifi adapters are a little
less linux-friendly than others. It is not rare that certain linux
'needs' are accomplished by accessing something online, and if you are
dependent on wifi to get online you are in a catch-22 if your wifi
doesn't work out of the box OOTB.

--
Mike Easter

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 5:14:36 PM4/22/15
OK ... Can I send the info via email to you when I get it? I'm not sure
I want to publish all that here on the groups.

--
Jenn

~BD~

Apr 22, 2015, 5:39:31 PM4/22/15
On 22/04/2015 17:26, Jenn wrote:
> On 4/21/2015 8:46 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
>>>>

>>> Surely you realize that the power that Walmart holds is due, in part, to
>>> Americans desire to have cheap products. Of course, that has come back
>>> to haunt them when lead paint is discovered in toys and other things
>>> that we don't use here are found.
>>>
>>> Personally, I'll pay more money to buy something that's made in America.
>>> Problem is, sometimes those things are hard to find.
>

>> My Chromebook would cost two thousand dollars if it was manufactured
>> in USA. Apple products are ridiculously expensive even though they're
>> made with the same parts as gear priced at a third of what Apple
>> charges. That's why I don't own any current Apple products. 8~)
>>
>> [8~{} Uncle Monster
>>

> Is a Chromebook similar to a tablet or more like a laptop?

It *IS* a laptop, Jenn! :-)

~BD~

Apr 22, 2015, 6:49:04 PM4/22/15
No. I don't miss a trick, SeaNymph.

It is your choice as to whether or not you wish to be civil.

--
D.

Uncle Monster

Apr 22, 2015, 8:14:45 PM4/22/15
> --
> Jenn

It's in the name. Surely you've heard the term Netbook? The small laptops include Chromebooks in that class of computers. Me and Dufas have Acer C710-2833 Chromebooks. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the Chrome OS but I'm gaining experience by immersing myself in it. I haven't touched a Windows machine in two months and I have dozens of them at home. There are peripherals I own that won't work with my Chromebook like
the cordless mouse I use with my Windows laptops. I haven't cruised any forums or websites that cater to the computers running the Chrome OS but there are things I need to learn now that I'm regaining my strength. Here's a link to Amazon for the Chromebook me and Dufas have. Note, if you decide to get one, try a refurb, they cost half as much as new.

https://tinyurl.com/nvvn9eb

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Uncle Monster

Apr 22, 2015, 8:28:55 PM4/22/15
On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 11:46:08 AM UTC-5, Jenn wrote:
> On 4/22/2015 11:21 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 2:00:27 AM UTC-5, ~BD~ wrote:
> >> On 22/04/2015 02:46, Uncle Monster wrote:
> >> [....]

> >> Welcome to Scorched-Earth, U.Monster! :-)
> >>
> >> Two questions, if I may?
> >>
> >> Have you explored the Chromebook information available here?
> >> http://bearware.info/index.html
> >>
> >> You may find it useful!
> >>
> >> Have you visited an Apple shop in the fairly recent past, and 'played'
> >> with their products? The shop here looks much like the one we have in
> >> Exeter, Devon, UK! https://www.apple.com/retail/thesummit/
> >>
> >> I bought my current iMac in 2008. I just might treat myself to another
> >> iMac for my big birthday later this year!
> >> http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/
> >>
> >> I know it's an expensive indulgence, but it's cheaper than a Ferrari! ;-)
> >>
> >> Good luck with your health issues.
> >>
> >> --
> >> David B.
> >> (aka BoaterDave or BD for short!)
> >
> > Heck, I forgot that Bearware had gone Chromebook. Me and Dufas both have Acer C710-2833 Chromebooks w/11.6 inch screen. We got the AmazonBasics laptop bag for this size laptop and the 1 inch thick 3 pound Chromebook has become what we grab whenever we must go to the hospital. Wallet, keys, cell phone and documents will go in the laptop bag making it very easy to have essential items close at hand. The hospitals and nursing homes have WiFi now which makes it easy to stay in touch via The Internet
> > and of course, to watch videos. Chromie, my Chromebook has become my constant companion when I'm away from home and he keeps me from going insane. o_O
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314074
> >
> > [8~{} Uncle Monster
> >

> Does thunderbird work on a chromebook? I know you mentioned posting via
> GG. I can't stand GG! It's a mess and a pain to post to usenet from
> it, but easier via thunderbird.
>

> --
> Jenn

A lot of the Google software is preloaded into the Chromebook and I've loaded some free apps produced by folks other than Google but I'm still learning. There is the fact that an unmodified Chromebook really doesn't do much without an Internet connection, at least mine doesn't. That's why I must get on sites and forums that deal with the Chrome OS to learn as much as I can. 8~)

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Uncle Monster

Apr 22, 2015, 8:49:16 PM4/22/15
On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 11:57:17 AM UTC-5, Mike Easter wrote:
> Jenn wrote:
> > Does thunderbird work on a chromebook?
>
> No. One glaring weakness of the chrome OS is the absence of any kind of
> nntp news agent. The solutions to that include hacking the chromebook
> to run a linux via Crouton, which keeps getting easier and easier, as
> google makes running linux in a chrome OS window possible.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Mine runs out of memory when I try to do too much and it will misbehave. Otherwise it's fast and quite stable. It has 2gb of memory and a 16gb SSD. I just remembered that I had a 32gb card in my bag and I've just put it in the slot in front of my Chromebook. There must be a way I can use it to augment the main memory and prevent crashes. It looks like I have some studying to do. 8~}

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Message has been deleted

Uncle Monster

Apr 22, 2015, 8:56:06 PM4/22/15
On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 12:10:13 PM UTC-5, Mike Easter wrote:
> Jenn wrote:
> > Mike Easter wrote:
> >> IMO, the first step is (always) running a live linux preferably from USB
> >> as opposed to optical.
> >
> > q: Can you run linux from a usb flash drive if you have windows 7? I
> > have one of those flash drives. Might be fun to give it a try.
> >
> Absolutely. That activity is being pursued by ever increasing numbers
> of Windows users. One 'wave' is that of those whose old XP hardware
> needs a modern operating system which will run well on the hardware,
> which does not include newer Windows versions. The next wave is that of
> those whose hardware is newer than XP, such as Vista or Win7, who have
> no interest in Win8 or 10.
>
> Another wave is those who are basically happy with their Win, but are
> curious about what it is that the linux users are enjoying that they
> don't know anything about.
>
> There is a requirement that one broaden their knowledge base. In the
> first place, it is necessary to somehow get an idea of what 'linux' is;
> which you might compare to what 'art' is -- namely 'a lot of different
> things'.
>
> If one says, well, desktop linux is the linux kernel with a variety of
> different desktop environments on top and several different repository
> bases underneath, that doesn't actually help you yet to choose a DE or a
> base to test/taste.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

I like PC BSD and experimented with it some time ago and I had to throw a lot at it to make it crash on an older machine that had limited resources. When I get out of here and get home, I may load it on one of my Dell Precision Workstations. I'm curious about what the latest example will do. 8~)

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 10:16:02 PM4/22/15
On 4/22/2015 7:14 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 11:26:14 AM UTC-5, Jenn wrote:

>>> My Chromebook would cost two thousand dollars if it was manufactured in USA. Apple products are ridiculously expensive even though they're made with the same parts as gear priced at a third of what Apple charges. That's why I don't own any current Apple products. 8~)
>>>
>>> [8~{} Uncle Monster
>>>

>> Is a Chromebook similar to a tablet or more like a laptop?
>>

> It's in the name. Surely you've heard the term Netbook?

yes ... been a while, though.

> The small laptops include Chromebooks in that class of computers.
> Me and Dufas have Acer C710-2833 Chromebooks. I'm still learning the
> ins and outs of the Chrome OS but I'm gaining experience by immersing
> myself in it. I haven't touched a Windows machine in two months and I
> have dozens of them at home. There are peripherals I own that won't
> work with my Chromebook like the cordless mouse I use with my Windows
> laptops. I haven't cruised any forums or websites that cater to the
> computers running the Chrome OS but there are things I need to learn
> now that I'm regaining my strength. Here's a link to Amazon for the
> Chromebook me and Dufas have. Note, if you decide to get one, try a
> refurb, they cost half as much as new.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/nvvn9eb

ok It looks like most other laptops to me. lol I didn't know there was
a special OS for a Chromebook. Learn something new every day.

--
Jenn

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 10:19:21 PM4/22/15
> A lot of the Google software is preloaded into the Chromebook and I've
> loaded some free apps produced by folks other than Google but I'm still
> learning. There is the fact that an unmodified Chromebook really doesn't
> do much without an Internet connection, at least mine doesn't. That's why
> I must get on sites and forums that deal with the Chrome OS to learn as
> much as I can. 8~)
>
> [8~{} Uncle Monster

... you do have some time on your hands right now, but you'll be all
healed up before you know it, so enjoy it while you can. :)

--
Jenn

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 10:23:03 PM4/22/15
On 4/22/2015 1:46 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
I have 4 gigs of ram and 2.90GHz processor 64 bit OS

Is that enough info?

--
Jenn

Mike Easter

Apr 22, 2015, 10:31:05 PM4/22/15
Jenn wrote:

> I have 4 gigs of ram and 2.90GHz processor 64 bit OS
>
> Is that enough info?

There's not going to be a problem with whatever linux distro you want to
run on that relatively modern Win7 machine. Some distros come only in
64bit which also isn't a problem for your 64 bit hardware.

I'm assuming that the XP laptop is considerably less resource rich.

--
Mike Easter

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 10:44:27 PM4/22/15
My xp has 2gb ram and a 2.00ghz processor. What do you think?

--
Jenn

%

Apr 22, 2015, 10:58:29 PM4/22/15
mine had that but i upgraded now i have

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4790 (8MB Cache, up to 4 GHz)
O/S Windows® 8.1
Motherboard Intel® H87 Chipset Motherboard
Memory 32GB Memory - DDR3
Hard Drive 240GB Kingston SSD Drive + 1TB Hard Drive
Monitor 27" LG IPS Widescreen 1920x1080
Graphics Radeon R7 250 Graphics Card - 2GB
Audio HD Audio onboard, 2.1 Speakers
Disk Drive 24x DVD+/-R/RW Internal Drive
Mouse/Key Microsoft® 400 USB Keyboard & Mouse
Case Black Tower Case

Jenn

Apr 22, 2015, 11:14:13 PM4/22/15
Ok I love the 1TB hard drive!

--
Jenn

%

Apr 22, 2015, 11:27:03 PM4/22/15
this thing just roars when i'm tripping through the web

Jenn

Apr 23, 2015, 12:17:04 AM4/23/15
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:27:01 -0700, "%" <per...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Mouse/Key Microsoft® 400 USB Keyboard &
> >> Mouse

> > Ok I love the 1TB hard drive!

> this thing just roars when i'm tripping through the
> web

Does it scare your mouse when it roars?

--
Jenn

Uncle Monster

Apr 23, 2015, 12:39:47 AM4/23/15
It's the Chrome OS by Google. 8~)

[8~{} Uncle Monster

%

Apr 23, 2015, 1:03:56 AM4/23/15
i don't use one i use voice to text

%

Apr 23, 2015, 1:04:53 AM4/23/15
it's a nice start up unit for kids

~BD~

Apr 23, 2015, 3:28:08 AM4/23/15
On 22/04/2015 17:21, Uncle Monster wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 2:00:27 AM UTC-5, ~BD~ wrote:
>> On 22/04/2015 02:46, Uncle Monster wrote:
>> [....]
>>> My Chromebook would cost two thousand dollars if it was manufactured in USA. Apple products are ridiculously expensive even though they're made with the same parts as gear priced at a third of what Apple charges. That's why I don't own any current Apple products. 8~)
>>>
>>> [8~{} Uncle Monster
>>
>> Welcome to Scorched-Earth, U.Monster! :-)
>>
>> Two questions, if I may?
>>
>> Have you explored the Chromebook information available here?
>> http://bearware.info/index.html
>>
>> You may find it useful!
>>
>> Have you visited an Apple shop in the fairly recent past, and 'played'
>> with their products? The shop here looks much like the one we have in
>> Exeter, Devon, UK! https://www.apple.com/retail/thesummit/
>>
>> I bought my current iMac in 2008. I just might treat myself to another
>> iMac for my big birthday later this year!
>> http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/
>>
>> I know it's an expensive indulgence, but it's cheaper than a Ferrari! ;-)
>>
>> Good luck with your health issues.
>>
>> --
>> David B.
>> (aka BoaterDave or BD for short!)
>
> Heck, I forgot that Bearware had gone Chromebook. Me and Dufas both have Acer C710-2833 Chromebooks w/11.6 inch screen. We got the AmazonBasics laptop bag for this size laptop and the 1 inch thick 3 pound Chromebook has become what we grab whenever we must go to the hospital. Wallet, keys, cell phone and documents will go in the laptop bag making it very easy to have essential items close at hand. The hospitals and nursing homes have WiFi now which makes it easy to stay in touch via The Internet
> and of course, to watch videos. Chromie, my Chromebook has become my constant companion when I'm away from home and he keeps me from going insane. o_O
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314074
>
> [8~{} Uncle Monster

I'm confident that the Chromebook has a sparkling future ahead of it! In
time, I shall get one, but it's not a good product for use on a
narrowboat when only rarely do I have access to WiFi! ;-)

May I ask again ....

Mike Easter

Apr 23, 2015, 6:54:35 AM4/23/15
Jenn wrote:
> My xp has 2gb ram and a 2.00ghz processor. What do you think?

It will very likely do fine. I have several machines around here with
similar resources. Many people don't 'explore' the information about
their video and wifi unless they run into some kind of snag when they
boot the live linux. Maybe it is just my 'mechanical' personality that
makes me want to know all about what kind of hardware I have even before
I turn it on.

When I purchase a computer, I research all about its hardware and
reference manuals before I order it so that I know it will be compatible
with linux as well as windows.

The ram and cpu are plenty.

--
Mike Easter

SeaNymph

Apr 23, 2015, 8:58:06 AM4/23/15
I would suggest you read more carefully before responding. There is
nothing uncivil about my response, which was generated by a post, made
by you, that seemed to indicate you were suffering from some
comprehension meltdown.

burfordTjustice

Apr 23, 2015, 8:59:08 AM4/23/15
LOL! 3 pointer.!

~BD~

Apr 23, 2015, 1:49:58 PM4/23/15
On 23/04/2015 08:28, ~BD~ wrote:
> I'm confident that the Chromebook has a sparkling future ahead of it! In
> time, I shall get one, but it's not a good product for use on a
> narrowboat when only rarely do I have access to WiFi! ;-)

Jenn might like this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j5mjuU-Om8

Mike Easter

Apr 23, 2015, 1:56:17 PM4/23/15
~BD~ wrote:
> I'm confident that the Chromebook has a sparkling future ahead of it! In
> time, I shall get one, but it's not a good product for use on a
> narrowboat when only rarely do I have access to WiFi! ;-)

Well, there are 4G equipped chromebooks, if that is your alternate
connectivity.

--
Mike Easter
Message has been deleted

%

Apr 24, 2015, 2:40:57 AM4/24/15
G. Morgan wrote:
> ~BD~ wrote:
>
>> I'm confident that the Chromebook has a sparkling future ahead of
>> it! In time, I shall get one, but it's not a good product for use on
>> a narrowboat when only rarely do I have access to WiFi! ;-)
>
> Use your mobile phone as a hotspot. My Android phone has that
> feature, and I always have extra mobile 4G data since most of the
> Internet I use is at home connected to my WIFI.

no it isn't

~BD~

Apr 24, 2015, 3:02:29 AM4/24/15
I was unaware of that. Thanks, Mike. :-)

Message has been deleted

~BD~

Apr 24, 2015, 3:32:34 AM4/24/15
On 24/04/2015 07:35, G. Morgan wrote:
> ~BD~ wrote:
>
>> I'm confident that the Chromebook has a sparkling future ahead of it! In
>> time, I shall get one, but it's not a good product for use on a
>> narrowboat when only rarely do I have access to WiFi! ;-)
>
> Use your mobile phone as a hotspot. My Android phone has that feature,
> and I always have extra mobile 4G data since most of the Internet I use
> is at home connected to my WIFI.

You'll probably find this hard to believe but neither my wife nor I have
a 'smart' phone!!!!

Right now my iPad is connected to the 3G network (4G is only currently
available in UK cities) and this laptop is connected wirelessly to the
iPad and from there to the Internet.

Will a Chromebook be able to connect in the same way?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Uncle Monster

Apr 24, 2015, 5:40:18 AM4/24/15
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 1:33:52 AM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
> Uncle Monster wrote:
>
> >A lot of the Google software is preloaded into the Chromebook and I've loaded some free apps produced by folks other than Google but I'm still learning. There is the fact that an unmodified Chromebook really doesn't do much without an Internet connection, at least mine doesn't. That's why I must get on sites and forums that deal with the Chrome OS to learn as much as I can. 8~)
>
> You can use Google's "Arc Welder" to run Android apps from the Play
> Store on a Chromebook. It's in Beta, and I don't have a Chromebook to
> test it. If you try it please leave feedback, as the price for a used
> Chromebook is pretty low now and I may get one.
>
> https://developer.chrome.com/apps/getstarted_arc

Me and my brother have the same model of Acer Chromebook. We are both still learning the ins and outs of the Chrome OS and it will take some time for us to become 'spurts. 8--)

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Jenn

Apr 24, 2015, 7:53:26 AM4/24/15
On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 02:21:11 -0500, G. Morgan
<seal...@osama-is-dead.net> wrote:
> I put a copy of SIW Pro in your Dropbox.

Ok... I just need to buy a thumb drive, now.

--
Jenn

Jenn

Apr 24, 2015, 9:32:25 AM4/24/15
On 4/24/2015 2:36 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
> You can install Android 4.4 on the HDD or a bootable "live" USB stick.
> Since you're already familiar with Android, and probably have some paid
> apps you want to use it may be a good choice.
>
> http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2015/03/26/android-on-a-stick-or-how-to-install-android-x86-on-a-usb-stick/

So, Android is a linux system?

--
Jenn
Message has been deleted

Jenn

Apr 24, 2015, 12:52:06 PM4/24/15
> Yes, its based on a Linux core.

k It may be a couple weeks before I can get another flash drive to try
this... but, it'll be fun to try eventually.

--
Jenn

Jenn

Apr 24, 2015, 12:52:50 PM4/24/15
On 4/24/2015 9:59 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
> Jenn wrote:
>
> I have a dozen of them! If you have a Big Lots nearby they have them
> for cheap. Also check Newegg.com and Amazon. If you need one now, CVS
> and Walgreens's has them. Get a 4GB one @ minimum.

Walgreen's may be a nearby choice. thanks!

--
Jenn

~BD~

Apr 24, 2015, 2:28:26 PM4/24/15
> Your "dumb phone" probably has a feature "use phone as modem". It will
> require a USB cable.

I think not, Graham! http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_1800-3006.php

I had hoped you would have answered my question. :-(

Uncle Monster

Apr 24, 2015, 2:59:01 PM4/24/15
> Your "dumb phone" probably has a feature "use phone as modem". It will
> require a USB cable.

I have 2 dumbass phones, one is my Samsung Obamaphone and the other is an old Nokia Tracfone that is activated until the year 2022. Charging and headphone connections are all the phones are equipped with. Like my brother, I have a digital pager with voicemail. I don't turn my phone on until I want to make a call so there is no danger of dialing while driving and most people don't realize that the old tech pager is receive
only so there's no way to track me when someone calls to leave a message.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

burfordTjustice

Apr 24, 2015, 3:27:18 PM4/24/15
Why do you suppose that is?....LOL
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

~BD~

Apr 24, 2015, 4:17:49 PM4/24/15
> I figured you had a phone worth more than $25, and was not ancient.

:-D

> http://www.fonearena.com/nokia-1800_925.html
>
> That phone sucks! It doesn't even do email or web browsing.

It makes telephone calls though! ;-)

>> I had hoped you would have answered my question. :-(
>
> I tried, but you didn't offer the model number until now. And I also
> said "probably". Don't kill the messenger because you bought the phone
> with the least amount of features I've ever seen. I was tethering a
> Motorola "flip phone" back in the 90's! The speed sucked ass, but I
> could still get dial-up speeds back then.
>
> You need a new phone dude! That has to be the biggest piece of shit
> I've ever seen, even for a 2009 "free" model. I hope you didn't
> actually pay for that thing, unless you bought it for a pre-paid
> disposable "burner".

It's a pay-as-you-go (non-contract) device that cost about 12 quid IIRC!

> My phone now is a quad-core Linux based device that has more power than
> your XP laptop. I even have an app called "servers ultimate" that lets
> me run just about any type of server from the device. Here is the list
> of *servers* (not clients) it will run:
>
> **Run over 60 servers with over 70 protocols!**
>
> Now you can run a CVS, DC Hub, DHCP, UPnP, DNS, DDNS, eDonkey, Email
> (POP3 / SMTP), FTP Proxy, FTP, FTPS, FTPES, Flash Policy, Git, Gopher,
> HTTP Snoop, ICAP, IRC Bot, IRC, ISCSI, Icecast, LPD, Load Balancer,
> MQTT, Memcached, MongoDB, MySQL, NFS, NTP, NZB Client, Napster, PHP and
> Lighttpd, PXE, Port Forwarder, Proxy, RTMP, Remote Control, Rsync, SIP,
> SMB/CIFS, SMPP, SMS, Socks, SFTP, SSH, Server Monitor, Stomp, Styx,
> Syslog, TFTP, Telnet, Time, Trigger, Unison, UPnP Port Mapper, VNC, VPN,
> Wake On Lan, Web, WebDAV, WebSocket, X11 and/or XMPP server!
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Cold-Apps-Servers-Ultimate/dp/B00E00C44G

That sounds like a fantastic piece of kit! Lucky you! :-)

Now then ...

"... this laptop is connected wirelessly to the iPad and from there to
the Internet. Will a Chromebook be able to connect in the same way?

THAT was my unanswered query, Graham.

Diesel

Apr 24, 2015, 4:19:53 PM4/24/15
Diesel <m...@privacy.invalid>
Sun, 19 Apr 2015 16:42:54 GMT in alt.politics.scorched-earth, wrote:

*larf*

--
Nope, I can't go to hell.
Satan still has a restraining order against me.

Mike Easter

Apr 24, 2015, 4:45:17 PM4/24/15
Jenn wrote:
> G. Morgan wrote:

>>> So, Android is a linux system?
>>
>> Yes, its based on a Linux core.
>
> k It may be a couple weeks before I can get another flash drive to
> try this... but, it'll be fun to try eventually.

IMO, the android issue is sorta' wandering off into the weeds; so I
guess we need to make an excursion in that direction.

On the one hand, android the OS was designed for a specific hardware
purpose, small economical mobile (touchscreen) devices and google
acquired the developer company almost 10 years ago, but all of the
development since has been guided by Google and the Open Handset
Alliance which has revolved entirely or almost entirely around ARM
processors.

Jenn's XP is neither mobile nor ARM; and the principle linux
development, while it includes massively parallel super computers as
well as ARM processors and other embedded devices, for the purposes of
this discussion should be considered to 'mostly' be about x86 and x86-64
(her XP and her Win7 hardware).

The lineage of android and Mac as it relates to the lineage of linux is
not where Jenn's 'education' should be drifting here. She is coming
from 'mainstream' Windows (her XP and her Win7) and mainstream hardware
ie her x86 XP and her x86-64 Win7 ware and 'incidentally' she is
familiar with small mobile touchscreen devices such as those which are
android.

The business about 'crossovers' by which I am able to boot up an
android-like linux OS called android-x86 on my x86 and x86-64 hardware
is what I'm calling wandering off into the weeds, which is what the link
is about. I can also boot a chromeOS-like linux called chromixium,
which I have done.

android has an old relationship with the linux kernel, but it isn't the
same kernel as 'my' linux distros use. Playstation has a relationship
with the linux/BSD kernel, which also isn't. OS X has distant
relationships with old kernels that 'my' distros do also, but that
kernel isn't the same either.

It seems to me that this kernel (and CPU) heritage information is going
to be more confusing than enlightening if the starting position of the
student Jenn is as someone who isn't usually familiar with what hardware
her computers are running. I think we should direct our guidance in a
manner which is most straightforward in the direction one would
anticipate her to travel, nor 'pointing at' the flowery weeds on the
side roads.

It would be useful for her to get a flash drive or even two; I wouldn't
be doing my shopping at Walgreen's or CVS (unless they had some dynamite
promotional for some reason) because their prices for such items are
typically triple what a good deal somewhere else like WalMart or more
electronically oriented stores might be.

Then, it would be useful for her to 'briefly' consider some basics about
the main families of linux, such as the rpm vs deb families and then the
main desktop environment families which are more numerous (several) than
just two.

If she were going to go in the popular deb package Ubuntu lineage Mint
direction, a good choice for the XP hardware would be the Mint XFCE,
while the Win7 hardware might be the Mint Cinnamon. The XP hardware
needs a 32 bit distro, the Win7 hardware could use 32 or 64 bit.

There are sites which combine multiple linux distros into a single .iso,
such as linuxaio.net. One can download about a 4G .iso with 3 32 or 64
bit Mints in the XFCE, Cinnamon, and MATE varieties.

If Jenn is going to dabble in linux, it seems worthwhile to stay on the
main road, which is going to be sufficiently confusing and daunting
without going off on the 'unique' spurs such as android-like android-x86
or chromeOS-like chromixium, both of which I've seen on live USB.

Her hardware is suited to XP and Win7, not a small mobile touchscreen
device. So, her linux distro choices should be 'mainstream' linux for
x86 and x86-64, not ARM processor or touchscreen oriented.

--
Mike Easter

Jenn

Apr 24, 2015, 4:54:55 PM4/24/15
That all actually made sense to me. I think it's something I can learn
given the right instructions from the get go. So, I'd need separate
smaller gig flash drives for each version, or can you put separate
versions in different folders on the same large gig flash drive? I
think you said separate for each distro, but can't find that post at the
moment. It would be nice to just have one flash drive with multiple
folders, but if I can't do that, it's just more drives to keep track of
while I'm playing.

--
Jenn

Mike Easter

Apr 24, 2015, 5:20:55 PM4/24/15
Jenn wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> There are sites which combine multiple linux distros into a single
>> .iso, such as linuxaio.net. One can download about a 4G .iso with 3
>> 32 or 64 bit Mints in the XFCE, Cinnamon, and MATE varieties.

> That all actually made sense to me.

Good.

> I think it's something I can learn given the right instructions from
> the get go.

Yes.

> So, I'd need separate smaller gig flash drives for each version, or
> can you put separate versions in different folders on the same large
> gig flash drive? I think you said separate for each distro, but can't
> find that post at the moment. It would be nice to just have one flash
> drive with multiple folders, but if I can't do that, it's just more
> drives to keep track of while I'm playing.

Here's a straightforward (directive) suggestion.

Buy an 8G (at least) flash drive. If there's a good deal on a 4 or a
16, consider having at least 2 more flash drives. The other day WalMart
had a better deal on a 16 than 8s and the 4s were even cheaper, so I
would have bought a 16 and a 4, for example. But for this particular
'experiment' we need an 8. Usually a 4 is more than enough; I do lots
of things with 1s and 2s.

Then download the linuxaio 3 Mint combo in the 32 bit variety which is
4.3 gigs, so it won't fit on a 4, ie needs an 8, since there isn't a 5 :-)

I check the md5 with hashcalc; there are many simple and free choices.
I write the .iso to USB with Rufus, also simple and free and more
powerful/smarter than some other choices. Normally I like to torrent my
linux distro downloads, but my experience with the linuxaio torrenting
is that it is slower than straight download, so for this specific
example you don't have to have a torrent solution.

Having dl/ed the .iso at the link I'll provide and checked its md5 and
written it to USB, you only need to know how to boot your XP or Win7
from the USB. Sometimes that is trickier than others.

http://linuxaio.net/downloads/linux-aio-linux-mint/ ISO include: Linux
Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 32bit, Linux Mint 17.1 MATE 32bit, Linux Mint 17.1
Xfce 32bit.

--
Mike Easter

Jenn

Apr 24, 2015, 5:34:47 PM4/24/15
ok ... maybe this weekend I can buy some flash drives.

--
Jenn

Uncle Monster

Apr 24, 2015, 6:02:39 PM4/24/15
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 3:04:34 PM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
> Uncle Monster wrote:
>
> >I have 2 dumbass phones, one is my Samsung Obamaphone and the other is an old Nokia Tracfone that is activated until the year 2022. Charging and headphone connections are all the phones are equipped with. Like my brother, I have a digital pager with voicemail. I don't turn my phone on until I want to make a call so there is no danger of dialing while driving and most people don't realize that the old tech pager is receive
> >only so there's no way to track me when someone calls to leave a message.
>

> What model number is the Samsung? I'll bet it has a "phone as modem"
> feature.
>
> I've played with some Tracphones and they are locked down big-time, so
> even if the capability exists for some features its likely Tracphone has
> disabled it. If its an Android model, you can root it than flash it
> with a new ROM to get all the features it is capable of.

Oh boy the print inside is tiny but I'll try.

Samsung

MODEL : SGH-S125G (GP)
GPSAS125GB
FCC ID: A3LSGHS125G
TracFone Wireless, Inc.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-S125ZSATFN

FULL SPECIFICATIONS

Carrier

TYPE
TracFone
Form Factor

FORM FACTOR
Bar
Size

WEIGHT
2.47 oz.
PRODUCT DIMENSIONS (INCHES)
4.25" x 1.75" x 0.55"
Battery*

BATTERY, STANDBY
12.5 Days
BATTERY, TALK TIME
6 Hours
BATTERY TYPE AND SIZE
Lithium Ion, 1000mAh
Network

FREQUENCIES AND DATA TYPE
GSM Dual-Band:850/1900
SAR VALUE - HEAD (W/KG)
SAR Value: Head 1.07 W/kg
SAR VALUE - BODY WORN (W/KG)
SAR Value: Body 0.393 W/kg
CPU

PROCESSOR SPEED, TYPE
156MHz
Display

MAIN DISPLAY RESOLUTION
128 x 128 Pixel
MAIN DISPLAY SIZE
1.52"
MAIN DISPLAY TECHNOLOGY
65K CSTN
Audio

FEATURES
Ringtones, Polyphonic, 10-note
Messaging Options

FEATURES
Text Messaging
Calling Functions

FEATURES
Speakerphone; Voicemail; Call Restrictions; TTY; Airline Mode

Like I said,"Dumbass Phone" which is all I really want. My vision isn't that great so a Smartphone would be a waste. I do want to get a pocket sized hotspot so I can use my 10.1" Android tablet when I'm in a waiting room somewhere that has no free WiFi but the hospital I use and the nursing home/rehab center I'm in have very good WiFi so I can use my Chromebook. I could still use a pocket hotspot for my Chromebook which is what I usually carry with me anyway because there's room in the bag for documents. On my last trip to the clinic, I handed my doctor a USB stick that had a PDF of my medication list and notes. Ain't technology wonderful? 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Mike Easter

Apr 24, 2015, 6:37:07 PM4/24/15
Jenn wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> the linuxaio 3 Mint combo in the 32 bit variety

> ok ... maybe this weekend I can buy some flash drives.

In furtherance of the concept of what will be happening, when either the
XP or the Win7 machine boots up from the USB, you'll see this:

http://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/linuxmintaiodvd/screenshots/linuxaio-linuxmint.png

That step/screen allows you to choose whether to boot the Cinnamon, XFCE
or MATE desktop, which you can 'mess around with' in the live condition;
when you shut down one with restart, you can boot another, see how you
like it, then shut it down and boot the 3rd.

You can use that same thumbdrive on either the XP or the Win7.

What are the brands and modelno of the XP and Win7 machines if they are
OEM? Knowing that, one might provide some suggestions about how to
option to boot from the USB instead of the hdd.

--
Mike Easter
It is loading more messages.