MySQL-error : can't connect to local mysql server through socket

Pugi!

Nov 18, 2004, 3:13:03 AM11/18/04
On a freshly installed Fedora C3 (incl. webserver apache php mysql) i get
the following problem when connecting to mysql through a browser
(phpMyAdmin):
:
#2002 Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

On the website of MySQL this error is mentioned but I found no solution.

In /var/log/messages the following log occurs :
localhost kernel: audit(....): avc: denied {write}for pid=2458
exe=/usr/sbin/httpd name=mysql.sock dev=hda13 ...

What I have tried :
- mysql.sock is srwxrwxrwx, seems ok, but dont know what the s stands for
- the dir /var/lib/mysql was drwxr-xr-x and I changed it to drwxrwxrwx : no
effect
- tried different version of phpMyAdmin : same error
- installed my website and got the following error : No connection possible
with database (in the next version I will improve the error-messages)
- through commandline there is no problem in connecting to mysql (log in,
create databases, inserts, deletes, uploading dumps, making dumps, ....)

What is the solution or what else can I try ?

thanx,

Pugi!

J.O. Aho

Nov 18, 2004, 3:33:30 AM11/18/04
Pugi! wrote:
> On a freshly installed Fedora C3 (incl. webserver apache php mysql) i get
> the following problem when connecting to mysql through a browser
> (phpMyAdmin):
> :
> #2002 Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

This kind of messages are common when people haven't started the mysql server.

chkconfig --level 35 mysqld on
/etc/init.d/mysqld start

//Aho

Pugi!

Nov 18, 2004, 10:54:35 AM11/18/04
The correct answer was : adjust settings SELinux for httpd/apache.

"J.O. Aho" <us...@example.net> schreef in bericht

Richard Hollenbeck

Nov 19, 2004, 8:01:52 PM11/19/04
Pugi! wrote:

> The correct answer was : adjust settings SELinux for httpd/apache.

How would that editing be done? I'm getting similar errors:

rich@linux:~> mysql -u root --host=localhost;
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
rich@linux:~> mysql -u root -h localhost;
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
rich@linux:~> mysql -uroot -hlocalhost;
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
rich@linux:~> mysql -uroot --host="localhost"
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
rich@linux:~>

I should have no password yet since this is a brand new installation of
Linux with Apache, MySQL, and PHP. The '/var/lib/mysql/' directory is
empty. But if I put -p password I get prompted for a password, which is
always wrong and sends me back to the command line.

Pugi!

Nov 22, 2004, 7:45:23 AM11/22/04
Hi sorry for late reply. I only get the error message when connecting thru a
browser, commandline worked fine for me.

Here is the solution for my problem :
I use Fedora Core 3 with SELinux (I had no idea what this was about, being
newbie).
To solve error 2002 cant connect to socket -problem
Boot linux and log in as root.
(I have installed dutch language instead of english and I translated names
of menus as best as I could)
From Startmenu select
"System settings"
Then choose
"Security settings or security level"
A window appears with 2 tabs : "Firewall options" and "SELinux"
Choose SELinux.
At the bottom half of the window you have a lisbox, listing (at least on my
pc)
Apache
Name Service
NIS
Transition
Open Transition
Select "Disable SELinux protection for httpd daemon"
Click "OK"
I dont remember if I had to reboot to make it work
Since I use Apache-PHP-MySQL to make website locally and later ftp it to a
host, I dont need that much security.

Some questions for your problem.
Does the root user for mysql has a password ?
If yes, I usually connect as
mysql -u root -p
and then I am prompted for password. I never specified the host. If in
doubt, make 2 entries for
root user in user-table,one with host = localhost and one with host=%. It is
default when I install MySQL, maybe it is different in your installation.

Pugi!

"Richard Hollenbeck" <richard.h...@verizon.net> schreef in bericht

J R

Nov 26, 2004, 12:50:21 AM11/26/04
Rich,

I too am new at this and do not claim to be an expert. However, I was
getting the same results that you were and have noticed the following:

Is the MySQL Server running? When it is running I see this:

[root@localhost ~]# ls -l /var/lib/mysql
total 28
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql 4096 Nov 25 12:03 menagerie
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql 4096 Nov 23 02:46 mysql
srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 0 Nov 26 00:25 mysql.sock
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql 4096 Nov 23 02:46 test
[root@localhost ~]#

When MySQL Server is NOT running it looks like this:

[root@localhost ~]# ls -l /var/lib/mysql
total 24
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql 4096 Nov 25 12:03 menagerie
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql 4096 Nov 23 02:46 mysql
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql 4096 Nov 23 02:46 test
[root@localhost ~]#

Notice the "mysql.sock" of size "0" with type "s" in the first view. This
socket is only active when the MySQL Server is running.

To get mine running I did the following (logged in remotely, not on the
localhost):

[root@localhost mysql]# mysql_install_db

TO START MySQL SERVER:

[root@localhost mysql]# /usr/bin/safe_mysqld