guinea pig not eating certain foods

1 view

piggy smile

Jun 15, 2009, 9:33:33 AM6/15/09
my guinea pig is looking healthy, but when ever I give him Parsely or
Cilantro, he sniffs and rejects it. The good thing is is that he eats
other things, the bad is thats my only way of getting vitamin C into
his system. A friend of mine suggested taking him to the Vet. should I
do that?

piggysmiles

Esther du Bois

Jun 15, 2009, 3:51:05 PM6/15/09

"piggy smile" <cottonb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Hey there piggy smile,

If your piggie looks healthy (clear eyes and nostrils, and a shiny coat) and
eats and drinks okay, then you don't really need to worry. Maybe your piggie
is just fed up with parsely and cilantro. I know I would get bored if I was
to eat the same thing every day.

What you could try to feed him is pepper (not the hot ones!!!). And if you
have choice in color, take the red ones; they are highest in Vit.C. in
peppers. There are so many other things that contain Vit. C. that you can
give your piggie. Orange, apple, kiwi, tangerine, tomatoe, blackberries,
carrots, strawberries, raspberries and so on.

Maybe a search on the internet can tell you what other things you can feed
your piggie to get this highly important Vit. C. into his system. And if you
feed your piggie(s) pellets that contain Vit. C. it isn't even necessary to
give fruits and veggies that contain Vit.C. each and every day. My piggies
are very healthy, they have shiny coats, and they do NOT get fruits and
veggies with loads of Vit.C. every day. Sometimes they get lettuce or
cucumber; nutritional value is absolute zero. And no Vit.C. in them aswell.
But they just love it so. So one day a week I will spoil them with cucumber
or lettuce.

HTH
Esther & the Bunch (Kayley, Zorra, Maycka, Beer, Hymba & Pip)
To email me personally, please remove SPAMBLOCK

kelvyn

Jun 16, 2009, 1:00:28 AM6/16/09

I agree with HTH...i dont think you need to worry at this point. My pigs
used to really like celery, now they wont look at it, same with cucumber,
that was a real favourite for a while, now they leave it. If they get
fruit/veges from time to time they should be ok for VitC. And yes if they
will eat peppers they are packed with VitC, especially the red or yellow
ones. Incidentally we call them capsicum here (NZ)
kelvyn.

No guinea pigs were harmed in the writing or sending of this post.

Musicman59

Jun 16, 2009, 2:48:46 PM6/16/09
On Jun 15, 12:51 pm, "Esther du Bois" <edb...@SPAMBLOCK.upcmail.nl>
wrote:
> "piggy smile" <cottonballs...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I am always curious to know the portion size of the food we give our
piggies. Lots and lots of lists of what food to give them, but the
size of the portion and frequency is rarely if ever discussed.

What do we all do ?? For me, we (supposedly the kids) have 3
piggies, they get the small carrots 1 a day, a slice around the size
of a quarter of red pepper each day, rotating days with pieces of
chunk pineapple, a small strawberry, 1-2 sprigs of parsley, and
timothy hay and pellets all the time.

we feed in the morning and at night. Do we all do that? How many
just do once a day ? When we walk into the kitchen and all three run
to the cage, stand up on their hind legs and squeal, well, its hard
not not to give them a treat.

Craig

Joanne

Jun 16, 2009, 5:03:32 PM6/16/09
I tend to go overboard on the veggies. Kiki is 6 now and every day for the
past 5 yrs she gets 1/2 plum tomato, 2 or 3 mini carrots, 1/4 mediun green
or red pepper, 4 1/2 slices of cucumber with the centers cut out( basically
she just gets the rinds and broccoli. She also get 4 lg romaine lettuce
leaves. The is along with her pellets and hay. She is not overweight nor has
she ever had any health issues. I would like to cut back due to the expense
but then I would feel guilty because , of course, she expects this now.

"Musicman59" <cwest...@gmail.com> wrote in message