thin ferret

morag milne

Nov 9, 2001, 6:51:31 PM11/9/01
hello

this is the first time I have joined in your group can anyone help me
fatten up my boy he is a rescue dressed male my vet says he is ok but I am
not happy with him his coat is very thin and the tip of his tail is bald he
is very lively runs about allot plays but his pin bones stand out I have
tried James wellbelove ferret food cat biscuits he like my dog food but it
is a fish based one I dident think it would be good for him in the long
term.
I have thought maybe if I get another fuzzy the company will make him eat
more I also feel he would benefit from the company any suggesting would be
much appreciated

morag

Troll

Nov 9, 2001, 7:03:53 PM11/9/01
Well the hair loss on his tail may or may not be the first signs of adrenal
disease, but he sounds very thin, so I kinda think it is. How old is he?

Take him to a vet that cares a little more about ferrets. I'd be appalled if
my vet said that ferret was "fine" without running some tests. If he doesnt
have adrenal, you can give him heavy cream to help him put some weight on,
and consider feeding him some chicken gravy. I just switched my boys over to
a raw diet of ground whole chicken, beef heart, egg yolk, and some heavy
cream. They *love* it, are doing very well on it, and Roscoe, who had
quickly dropped a lot of weight, has started putting it back on.

And if acne turns out to be the problem with his hair loss, you can wash his
tail with T-Gel shampoo and that should clear it up. But first take him to
another vet and get a second opinion.

"morag milne" <run...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message

oldmolly

Nov 9, 2001, 7:35:20 PM11/9/01
I would look for another vet as it sounds as though this chap is very
underweight. My oliver lost a third of his body weight recently and is now
gewtting it back. I am feediing him cooked chicken portions. I cook it in
the microwave and mix the fat and cut up meat with some cow and gate
powdered baby food, mixed with double cream and warm water. All the fuzzies
go nuts over it and oliver is already looking more himself again.

--

remove your teeth to reply
"Troll" <herr_f...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Troll

Nov 9, 2001, 8:08:49 PM11/9/01
Yeah really. One thing you should keep in mind is that if *you* think
there's something wrong with your fuzzy, there probably is, since you're the
one who is around him all the time and know whats normal and what's not.
Never settle for "he's fine" without some sort of explanation or offer to
run some tests.

"oldmolly" <oldmolly@YOURTEETH@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Mary at Modern Ferret Magazine

Nov 9, 2001, 11:26:21 PM11/9/01
Troll wrote:
>Well the hair loss on his tail may or may not be the first signs of adrenal
>disease, but he sounds very thin, so I kinda think it is.

I'm not so sure about that -- if the hair loss is at the tip of the tail,
that's really more likely to be rat-tail -- hormonal maybe or just clogged
pores. Our Cauliflower is a very oily boy & it's a challenge to keep his tail
in top shape. The T-gel shampoo (do you have that in UK?) would be fine. Or
some sort of mild astringent.

Several good suggestions on fattening him up -- I'd definitely go for adding
eggs, chicken, and whipping or heavy cream to get some extra fat into him.
Ferrets can gain and lose weight very quickly, so if you hit the right
combination, you should be able to tell within a few days if the ferret is
starting to put on weight.

The dog food is a bad idea -- you should prevent the ferret from eating it, it
won't have the nutrients he needs (and you wouldn't want him filling up on
something that's not helping him). I'd also think you'd want to get to a more
ferret-knowledgeable vet and make sure this little guys is squared away before
you add another ferret. While they do love company, a new ferret might also be
stressful -- and he doesn't need stress right now.

Good luck, morag!

--Mary & the Fuzzies

Mary R. Shefferman, Editor
& the Modern Ferrets: Trixie, Balthazar, Cauliflower, Koosh, and Gabrielle
Modern Ferret Magazine - http://www.modernferret.com
http://www.ferretdesigns.com - T-Shirts & more!
http://www.ferrettradingpost.com - Supplies!

Candice Bush

Nov 10, 2001, 12:42:03 AM11/10/01

>this is the first time I have joined in your group can anyone help me
>fatten up my boy he is a rescue dressed

>this is the first time I have joined in your group can anyone help me
>fatten up my boy he is a rescue dressed

You've gotten some good answers, so I just want to know, what is "rescue
dressed"? (stressed?)
cb

morag milne

Nov 10, 2001, 9:22:45 AM11/10/01
thanks all for your help (great group)

just a few things
eggs cooked or raw ?
he is not to keen on chicken or turkey cooked or uncooked
will try cream and baby food
his tail is rat like the last inch
dont remember it being like this before he was dressed ( neutered ) and he
had a coat then so it could be hormonal
I think he is about 1yr 6months
t-gel shampoo dont know if we do get it in UK I live in Scotland I will
look. I have used a antibacterial & antifungal shampoo so it is not that
what is adrenal disease and what should I look for
the dog food he steels this it is like a game I put the dogs food into there
bowls he steels it and runs into the bottom drawer of the kitchen unit to
eat it there this drawer is now his, but I will lock him away at feeding
times until he gets some fat on. I am very very fond of this wee man he dose
not give the impression of being ill and I dont think he is stressed in any
way

Morag
and all the feet
Mary at Modern Ferret Magazine wrote in message
<20011109232621...@mb-mq.aol.com>...

NCF

Nov 10, 2001, 9:30:47 AM11/10/01
morag milne wrote:

> thanks all for your help (great group)
>
> just a few things
> eggs cooked or raw ?

Cooked only.
Raw eggs, actually the raw egg whites, bind up biotin and lead to a
vitamin B deficiency. Raw egg yolks are OK if you happen to be inclined
to separate the yolks from the whites before serving <G>

oldmolly

Nov 10, 2001, 1:34:15 PM11/10/01
mine like them scrambled.

--

remove your teeth to reply

"NCF" <ncfs...@suite224.net> wrote in message

Lisa The Ferret Haven By the Sea

Nov 10, 2001, 4:10:50 PM11/10/01
>mine like them scrambled.

Pam

How is Oliver doing? Continuing to recover from the ECE, I hope?

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854

magdaart...@gmail.com

May 12, 2013, 10:32:29 AM5/12/13
Hello everyone. Rocky my pittbul,had for long time a small hair spot pigmentation. The hair was Brown and turn grey, over the years the spot grow fast and is almost close his butt, but I notes that is loosing his hair in a small area close to a small bump end I remember I put frankincense oil when the pigmentation spot was little thinking that maybe that oil will help. I try look his tail but he got mad like it hurts. I read from some of you that can be adrenal problem. I notes he use to scratch his tail where is the bump. Hi Oslo beat the tail tore thing when he swing it's maybe my question will be funny but what oils don't suppose to be use on dogs and if it's some kind of fungus, adrenal problems or allergies what oils I can use? .