Hello ferret parents

1 view

FerretDad

Sep 1, 2011, 4:59:28 PM9/1/11
Nothing much to say except my 2 girls are healthy and doing fine.

Time now for the hand feeding of warm gravy meal. Spoiled creatures. Then
let them romp around the house for the evening.

:-D

Ps - one friend wrote me this morning and said HI to my squeaky creatures.
I wrote him back and told him that they rarely squeak. They are more like
furry mimes. eheheh ;)

steve robinson

Sep 1, 2011, 6:06:07 PM9/1/11
FerretDad wrote:

I like that, my little buggers have just started drawing blood again,
they didnt like the taste of me for a short while

Gary

Sep 4, 2011, 9:10:19 AM9/4/11

Good to hear from you, Steve. So tell me....do your kids bite too hard in
play or are they a bit wild since you sometimes keep them outside...and just
bite you as a natural instinct? (ie - a defensive bite?)

Jackie never bites me hard unless I put her AND my hand underneath a
blanket. I don't know how this game started but it started when she was very
young. She knows now that that is the time she is allowed to bite as hard
as she can....on the heel of my hand. She will " go for it" too at that
time. She will lick, then bite hard and sometimes even shake her head back
and forth as to tear off a chunk of my hand. eheheh Naturally, I let her do
this and just grit my teeth as it can get a bit painful sometimes. She
never bites other than that situation.

Mia will often play-bite me when I scruff her up (play hard with her). It's
just very gentle play-biting though.

steve robinson

Sep 4, 2011, 9:20:52 AM9/4/11
Gary wrote:

> steve robinson wrote:
> >
> > FerretDad wrote:
> >
> > > Nothing much to say except my 2 girls are healthy and doing
> > > fine.
> > >
> > > Time now for the hand feeding of warm gravy meal. Spoiled
> > > creatures. Then let them romp around the house for the evening.
> > >
> > > :-D
> > >
> > > Ps - one friend wrote me this morning and said HI to my squeaky
> > > creatures. I wrote him back and told him that they rarely
> > > squeak. They are more like furry mimes. eheheh ;)
> >
> > I like that, my little buggers have just started drawing blood
> > again, they didnt like the taste of me for a short while
>
> Good to hear from you, Steve. So tell me....do your kids bite too
> hard in play or are they a bit wild since you sometimes keep them
> outside...and just bite you as a natural instinct? (ie - a
> defensive bite?)

They bite hard in play but they are a little wild too , stopped
biting me for a while late last year and earlier this year which i
thought strange, they must have realised that i was ill (even before
i did)

In july the started ripping into me again, when i went to the
hospital for more tests i told the doctor that i thought i was in
remission he laughed when i told him the ferrets had taken blood
samples before him

Their diagnosis was correct

I tasted like daddy again

SasiOne

Sep 5, 2011, 10:22:24 AM9/5/11
I would like to know why they like to bite like that? My one little
girl Apple would bite me as hard as she could (bite down and shake her
head) and woudl draw blood every time. Never would bite my husband or
son. Just the last few days before she died she quite bitting me. I
now have 4 little kids, one will bite if i move my had back and forth
on the floor or couch or where ever. My big boy Kerm, when I pick him
up he love to bite lightly on my arm, almost as if he was taken away
to soon and not weined. Maybe this could be and over all issue with
most ferrets? I have had 18 kids so far and it baffles me. Anyone know
a ferret whisper? LOL

steve robinson

Sep 5, 2011, 11:40:20 AM9/5/11
SasiOne wrote:

Its how they kill thier prey in the wild and how they play with other
ferrets , unfortunatly humans are wimps

FerretDad

Sep 8, 2011, 8:48:13 AM9/8/11
steve robinson wrote:

> They bite hard in play but they are a little wild too , stopped
> biting me for a while late last year and earlier this year which i
> thought strange, they must have realised that i was ill (even before
> i did)
>
> In july the started ripping into me again, when i went to the
> hospital for more tests i told the doctor that i thought i was in
> remission he laughed when i told him the ferrets had taken blood
> samples before him
>
> Their diagnosis was correct
>
> I tasted like daddy again

Glad to hear that the Dr.Ferrets diagnosised you properly, Steve, and you
are doing well.

Next time they bite you, try biting them on the leg to see how they like
it. hehehehh

FerretDad

Sep 8, 2011, 8:51:07 AM9/8/11
steve robinson wrote:

> SasiOne wrote:
>
> > I would like to know why they like to bite like that?

> Its how they kill thier prey in the wild and how they play with other
> ferrets , unfortunatly humans are wimps

I agree with Steve here. It's their instinct to bite properly. This is why
I let Jackie do it to my hand underneath a blanket....just to let her get it
out of her system. She enjoys that occasionally.

steve robinson

Sep 8, 2011, 4:37:59 PM9/8/11
and expose my jugular not likely :)

FerretDad

Sep 9, 2011, 5:00:38 AM9/9/11
steve robinson wrote:

> FerretDad wrote:
> > Next time they bite you, try biting them on the leg to see how they
> > like it. hehehehh
>
> and expose my jugular not likely :)

LOL! Oh yeah....I didn't think of that! :-O

I saw a documentary about skunks the other day. Very cute and they are
close relatives to ferrets. The baby ones are adorable!