Out Foxed by the Beeb!

Ethel

Apr 25, 2003, 11:44:35 AM4/25/03

The BBC director general, Greg Dyke, yesterday laid out the case for the
impartiality of broadcast news in Britain as against the "unquestioning"
attitude of US networks, and warned the government not to allow the
"Americanisation" of the British media.

In characteristically blunt fashion, Mr Dyke said he was surprised at the
"committed political position" of Rupert Murdoch's Fox News Channel, and
"shocked" to discover that the biggest radio group in the US was using its
stations to organise pro-war rallies.

He urged the government to think carefully about its proposals to liberalise
media ownership laws in Britain. "We must ensure that we don't become
Americanised," he said in a speech at Goldsmith's College in London
yesterday.

Mr Dyke directed much of his ammunition against the global media giant Clear
Channel, which owns 1,225 radio stations in the US, many of which took a
staunchly pro-war line.

"We are genuinely shocked when we discover that the largest radio group in
the United States was using its airwaves to organise pro-war rallies," said
Mr Dyke, who is also the BBC's editor-in-chief. "We are even more shocked to
discover that the same group wants to become a big radio player in the UK."

In the communications bill currently going through the House of Lords, the
government plans to deregulate ownership laws, allowing foreign companies
like Clear Channel to own commercial radio licences in Britain.

Clear Channel is known for syndicating much of its output between its
stations, and concerns have been raised about the threat to diversity.

Mr Dyke warned that deregulation also raised questions about impartiality:
since the September 11 attacks, a gap had opened up between the definitions
of impartiality on either side of the Atlantic.

"Maybe it was always like this and the requirements of impartiality in the
UK were always different to those in the USA, but that's not how I remember
it," he said. "Personally, I was shocked while in the United States by how
unquestioning the broadcast news media was during this war."

He criticised Fox News for its pro-Bush stance, which has helped it overtake
CNN as the most popular news network in the US.

"Commercial pressures may tempt others to follow the Fox News formula of
gung-ho patriotism, but for the BBC this would be a terrible mistake. If,
over time, we lost the trust of our audiences, there is no point in the
BBC," said Mr Dyke.

He speculated that the patriotism of the US networks had been driven by the
fragmentation of the US media.

"Many of the large television news organisations in the States are no longer
profitable or confident of their future. The effect of this fragmentation is
to make government - the White House and the Pentagon - all-powerful, with
no news operation strong enough or brave enough to stand up against it.

Mr Dyke rejected accusations that the BBC, which has spent between £7m and
£8m on the war, had been soft on Saddam Hussein, insisting the corporation's
commitment to "independence and impartiality" was "absolute." He said it was
"absurd" to suggest journalists in Baghdad were "Saddam's stooges", and
singled out correspondents Andrew Gilligan, Rageh Omaar and John Simpson for
having brought home the "reality" of war.

"Governments have as much right as anyone else to put pressure on the BBC,"
he said. "It's only a problem if the BBC caves in."

Matt Wells, media correspondent
Friday April 25, 2003
The Guardian

Jeanie

Apr 26, 2003, 1:30:07 PM4/26/03
Thanks for the post, Ellis. I found it very interesting and can only pass
an opinion on one part:

> He criticised Fox News for its pro-Bush stance, which has helped it
> overtake CNN as the most popular news network in the US.

First, let me say that I am a regular viewer of CNN. I started watching CNN
for most of my news during the first Gulf War when Bernard Shaw was hiding
under a desk during some of the initial bombing. <g>

During the past month, I have tried to give equal viewing time to FOX News
and MSNBC. (I don't get BBC or CBC on my cable so I cannot comment on
them.) The blatant bipartisanship of both FOX and MSNBC is very hard to
take, IMO. The news anchors on both networks regularly make faces and use
sarcasm in reporting, cracking jokes and generally making fun of the French,
Germans, Iraqi leadership, and Democrats in the US. IMO, this is extremely
unprofessional of them. Most of their interviewers are rude and will shout
down the people them have asked on the show to give what could be classified
as an opposing opinion.

While it is true that CNN chose not to broadcast a lot of the blood and guts
photos during the war (the ones referred to by Kelpie, Eva, and Annette,
among others) I do feel that their reporting was as unbiased as it could be.
It's also true that none of the US news channels seemed to be anti-war in
their sentiments and reporting slant. None were "questioning" about the
war. All of them, CNN included did display a certain patriotism throughout
the war, but I think that is to be expected. The time to question this war
was before it happened, and I believe CNN did a great deal of that in the
first quarter of the year. During the war itself was not the time to be
bad-mouthing US troops, most of whom are very young and only following
orders.

I find it amazing that FOX News is so blatantly conservative and Republican
in it's stance when the FOX network has been in the forefront for many years
in airing TV series that are singled out by conservative Christians and
staunch Republicans as being anti-family, pro-sex, anti-Christian and just
generally indicative of the moral decay in today's society. Programs like
Charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Married With Children, That 70s Show,
Beverly Hills 90210, Ally McBeal, The Simpsons, etc., glorify many things
that the traditional "church" is very much against. Things like witchcraft,
sorcery, magic, pre-marital and extra-marital sex, portraying the father
figure in the home as an idiot, casual drug use, cursing....these are a
mainstay in the FOX-TV comedy series lineup. I'm certainly not saying that
*I* think that way, only that most conservatives find those sorts of things
very offensive. I just find that extremely curious.

Jeanie

Merry

Apr 27, 2003, 5:28:30 PM4/27/03
Of course, when the Internet's at our disposal, we can listen to news
from any part of the world! CNN was ok, but I never heard it mention
the 'Project for the New American Century' which the CBC did a pretty
good piece on.

http://www.newamericancentury.org/

"The Project for the New American Century is a non-profit educational
organization dedicated to a few fundamental propositions:

that American leadership is good both for America and for the world;

that such leadership requires military strength, diplomatic energy
and commitment to moral principle; and that too few political leaders
today are making the case for global leadership."

Members have included Rumsfeld, Perl, Cheney, and other names you
might recognize. They've been advocating 'democratizing' the Middle
East for years.

Ethel

Apr 27, 2003, 8:18:37 PM4/27/03

"Merry" <merrie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Of course, when the Internet's at our disposal, we can listen to news
> from any part of the world! CNN was ok, but I never heard it mention
> the 'Project for the New American Century' which the CBC did a pretty
> good piece on.
>
> http://www.newamericancentury.org/
>
> "The Project for the New American Century is a non-profit educational
> organization dedicated to a few fundamental propositions:
>
> that American leadership is good both for America and for the world;

Not this American leadership who believes the effects of global warming only
affects the rest of the world..

> that such leadership requires military strength, diplomatic energy
> and commitment to moral principle; and that too few political leaders
> today are making the case for global leadership."

The last political leader that made the case for Global Leadership was
Hitler.

> Members have included Rumsfeld, Perl, Cheney, and other names you
> might recognize. They've been advocating 'democratizing' the Middle
> East for years.

But the main point these people seem to overlook is the Middle East is not
theirs to democratize..

Ellis

Cybe R. Wizard

Apr 27, 2003, 8:21:42 PM4/27/03
On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:28:30 -0500, Merry wrote:

> http://www.newamericancentury.org/

God damned! That's awful fucking scary!
How do I get off of this chicken shit planet?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.

kelpie

Apr 28, 2003, 6:16:03 PM4/28/03

"Ethel" <ethel...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

<Snipped>

> > Members have included Rumsfeld, Perl, Cheney, and other names you
> > might recognize. They've been advocating 'democratizing' the Middle
> > East for years.
>
> But the main point these people seem to overlook is the Middle East is not
> theirs to democratize..
>
> Ellis

Minor detail...........

kelpie

Midnyt

Apr 28, 2003, 6:57:12 PM4/28/03
Well, I checked out that site, and, Hell, that's scary !!
So now,, as if we had any doubts before,, the US wants to take
over the world. They oppose dictators, yet,eagerly head towards
that line of thinking.
Personally, I reckon, if they get their *super power* status taken
away from them, then, they'll be the same as the majority of the
countries in the world, and soon lose the ideas of dictating terms to
other countries,just because they disagree with them.
If they want to dictate terms and their way of life in the US,, OK, but
I sure the hell don't find it acceptable, when they try to do it to other
countries.

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--

kelpie

Apr 28, 2003, 7:31:11 PM4/28/03
Yeh! we gotta keep this thread going, yours (no subject) is apparantly
longer than this one!

Or maybe quality counts double?

Kelpie
"Midnyt" <mid...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

kelpie

Apr 28, 2003, 7:32:29 PM4/28/03
oops, I answered the wrong post:(

I'll try again!

Kelpie
"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Midnyt

May 18, 2003, 9:28:05 AM5/18/03
OK, fair enough, but, how are we suppose to know which post
you were answering???
Know what I think??? You need a holiday. Seems like these posts
are getting to you :))

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--

"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

kelpie

May 18, 2003, 3:23:46 PM5/18/03
Heyyyyyy, it was a few weeks ago when I misposted this, how the heck to you
expect *me*
(who is needing a holiday) to remember(BWG)?
I also think (or I think I do) post in the conversation I meant
to............

Kelpie , whose holiday is now less than 6 weeks time

"Midnyt" <mid...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

Midnyt

May 21, 2003, 7:06:12 PM5/21/03
Ooops !!! Shall I go back to talking to myself again ??
Maybe you'll feel better when you get back off your hols :))

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--
"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

kelpie

May 21, 2003, 7:47:31 PM5/21/03
Nope, talking to yourself is not good,
but then maybe its the only way to get intelligent conversation (G).
and Yup, looking forwarward to hols, but hope Dubya holds off declaring war
on France until after I get home.

Kelpie
(Not quite so tetchy tonight)

"Midnyt" <mid...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

kelpie

May 21, 2003, 7:48:40 PM5/21/03

> Kelpie
> (Not quite so tetchy tonight)

But rhat may be because I have 5 days off work, don't have to go back until
Tuesday:)))

Kelpie
(Now talking to myself!)

Midnyt

May 22, 2003, 4:31:23 AM5/22/03
I don't know about getting intelligent conversation,but more
a case of finding some-one who knows what I'm talking
about :))

I reckon you had a good day,,seeing as you weren't so tetchy!!

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--

Midnyt

May 22, 2003, 4:34:27 AM5/22/03
Just a min,, if you got 5 days off work,, you should be
OK,, not tetchy. Still,maybe you haven't figured out what
to do on the days off.

There's *nothing* wrong with talking to yourself,,, the problems
start, when you don't know what you're talking about :)))

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--

"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Anamanda

May 22, 2003, 10:15:59 AM5/22/03
>There's *nothing* wrong with talking to yourself,,, the problems
>start, when you don't know what you're talking about :)))
>
> Midnyt

Okay who snitched on me????
Anamanda

kelpie

May 22, 2003, 10:46:42 AM5/22/03
Plenty to do, but the will I do it all, or mess around on the PC?

Kelpie
"Midnyt" <mid...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

kelpie

May 22, 2003, 10:45:35 AM5/22/03
It was a "good" day, but not by conventional standards!
We were due to implement some changes to our cash receipting system
(replacing a 16 unix box network with 1 box and communicating over the WAN),
however mid afternoon due to a power surge, we lost communucations with the
box from which I was copying data, so implementation postponed, and I was
able to have today off! Couldn,t have planned it better, being able to take
a days flexi leave tacked onto the holiday weekend:))

Kelpie

kelpie

May 22, 2003, 10:59:14 AM5/22/03
:)))

Just like wot I am doing?

Kelpie
"Tricia" <Tri...@home.vic.au> wrote in message
> kelpie wrote:
> :: Plenty to do, but the will I do it all, or mess around on the PC?
>
> mess around on the PC far more fun :)
>
> --
> Tricia
> 23109810

Midnyt

May 22, 2003, 2:10:49 PM5/22/03
Ah Ha,,, another one. :)) Me too,,can't make my mind up where
to start, and then,, 'Bugga it ,,, do it later',, which by some strange
reason, which is totally unknown to me,,,*later* never seems to
get here. Must be hiding somewhere where I haven't looked yet :))

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--
"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Midnyt

May 22, 2003, 2:15:08 PM5/22/03
You got it well planned.!! A extra day stuck on the Bank Holiday,
and then, you'll soon be going on your hols.. and we're only halfway
through the year. !!!

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--
"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

kelpie

May 22, 2003, 4:53:02 PM5/22/03
:))
Later is like tomorrow..............
At some point over the weekend, I want to start scanning photos, but who
knows?
We bought the scanner a few months ago and so far I've only done a few test
photos
so far. The intention was to get them all organised on CDs.

Kelpie
"Midnyt" <mid...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

kelpie

May 22, 2003, 4:56:06 PM5/22/03
Yup, good innit?
We'll be just back from holiday 2 weeks when we have another (local) holiday
weekend:))

Have you got your holidays planned yet?

Kelpie
"Midnyt" <mid...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

Midnyt

May 22, 2003, 5:24:47 PM5/22/03
Ha !!!! And they say women are more organised than men !!!!!

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--
"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Midnyt

May 22, 2003, 5:28:44 PM5/22/03
'olidays??? Wot 'olidays??? Probably go to the same place as the
past few years,,, right here.!!!!
Like most people,, it all comes down to Finances :(((

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--
"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Steve L Ferris

May 22, 2003, 6:02:57 PM5/22/03
"Midnyt" (mid...@freeuk.com) writes:
> 'olidays??? Wot 'olidays??? Probably go to the same place as the
> past few years,,, right here.!!!!
> Like most people,, it all comes down to Finances :(((
>
> Midnyt

There's a old story about 2 old timers. One says...

"Well, we have decided not to go to New York this year."

The other says: Did you go to New York last year?

"No" says the 1st old timer,, "last year we didn't go to Paris".

steve

Midnyt

May 22, 2003, 9:01:46 PM5/22/03
Thanks for that Steve !!! Haven't been to Paris either.
Maybe if I was a smoker, then I would do, because I'd
probably go to France to get my cigs,, becasue they're
a lot cheaper,and while I was over there,,make the most
of it, and go to Paris..
Mebbe I should start smoking again :))

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--
"Steve L Ferris" <am...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

Buff

May 23, 2003, 4:11:14 AM5/23/03
kelpie wrote:
> Plenty to do, but the will I do it all, or mess around on the PC?
>
> Kelpie

Who're you trying to kid??? You're as hooked on this infernal machine as
the rest of us :-p

--
Buff -
"Wheelchair Users have the best Seat in the House."

Eddgreen

May 23, 2003, 6:13:48 AM5/23/03
your a sick man get help

kelpie

May 23, 2003, 6:35:40 PM5/23/03
I'm organised, I got the scanner & the photos, all I have to do is start
scanning:))

Kelpie
"Midnyt" <mid...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

kelpie

May 23, 2003, 6:36:15 PM5/23/03

"Buff" <buffm...@dodo.com.au> wrote in message

> kelpie wrote:
> > Plenty to do, but the will I do it all, or mess around on the PC?
> >
> > Kelpie
>
> Who're you trying to kid??? You're as hooked on this infernal machine as
> the rest of us :-p
>
> --
> Buff -
Drat, there's another shattered myth!!!!!!!!!!

Kelpie

kelpie

May 23, 2003, 6:38:15 PM5/23/03
You cluld go for the wine?
At least you don't have a 400mile drive to the ferry........
Kelpie

"Midnyt" <mid...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

Midnyt

May 23, 2003, 9:41:41 PM5/23/03
OK,, Delayed Action !!! Just a case of having trouble fitting the
scanner/photos with the actual doing.
Yep,, delayed reaction :))

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--
"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Midnyt

May 23, 2003, 9:46:51 PM5/23/03
You're right there,,, I could go for the wine,,
come back with a case of Tia Maria, and
White wine. :))

True,, not far from Dover,, 'bout 20 miles.

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--
"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

kelpie

May 26, 2003, 3:08:32 PM5/26/03
:))

Kelpie
(with no photos scanned yet)

"Midnyt" <mid...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

kelpie

May 26, 2003, 3:11:17 PM5/26/03
Good for a day trip, don't the ferries offer cheap(ish) day returns?
Unfortunately the strength of the Euro over the pound will make the
purchases more expensive than last year:(

Kelpie
"Midnyt" <mid...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

Midnyt

May 26, 2003, 9:05:26 PM5/26/03
Just dunno why you can't do it when you're on here. !!!
While you're scanning, you can be doing your mail and
other stuff at the same time. See,, easy :))
Go on, get the photos out and get started. Just think, the
longer you leave it, the more photos you'll have, and then,
the longer it'll take to do :((

Midnyt

--={R@M}=--
"kelpie" <kel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Midnyt

May 26, 2003, 9:11:04 PM5/26/03
Yep,, the ferries do do a cheap day return. Don't know how much
it is, but cheap. :)
OK, so the Euro will make things dearer over there than last year,,
*but*,, they will still probably be cheaper than here,, and that is still
taking into account, the travel costs. :))

Midnyt