Don't Give Children Funny Names

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
If you give your children weird names they will have difficulty
getting along with others. If you give them celebrity's names they'll
grow up to be immoral.
A parent's best source for names is the Holy Bible. There are no
more beautiful names than Adam, Eve, Seth, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac,
Rebekah, and so on. These names are practically universal and can be
modified to suit almost any ethnic group's tastes. "Eva" can be
substituted for "Eve" almost anywhere, as can "Hawwa," "Chavah," and "Ewa."
Be careful to avoid unconventional spellings. "Rut" is OK since it is
the proper Spanish equivalent of "Ruth," but what English-speaking girl
wants to go around being called Rut? Not many. Ditto "Ester." Spelled
that way, the name suggests some sort of chemical, not the Jewish Queen
of Persia.
Did you know that the name Keshia is Biblical? In the King James
Bible the name is spelled "Kezia." It's the name of a beautiful tree
that grows in the Holy Land. I spelled one of my daughter's names Keesha
so it would be pronounced with the right number of syllables. The name
Kasha is a variant. Another of Job's daughters was named Jemima, but
that name is too "Uncle Tom" for the present generation.
Good Americans should name boys after U.S. presidents like Thomas
Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, and Zachary Taylor, and girls after notable
women in American history like Phyllis Wheatley, Harriet Tubman, and
Coretta Scott King.
The names of good kings and queens make fine choices too: Duncan,
Richard, Frank. The names of some caesars are OK too: Julius, Augustus,
Claudius. Nero is out for obvious reasons. Charles is a bad choice because
that MIGHT just be the name of the next evil king of England. Everyone
knows he's an adulterer who had his ex-wive murdered in France last year.
Ferdinand (Fernando) and Isabella are taboo because of what those evil
monarchs did to the Jews of Spain in the fifteenth century. The names of
the great pharaohs are ideal: Ramses, Shabaka, Ptolemy. Don't forget
Cleopatra.
Avoid using the names of wicked celebrities like Madonna (a
BLASPHEMOUS name), Morgan (for girls: this name is OK if a bit
old-fashioned for boys), and Leonardo. Avoid names that are too common
and trendy: Jason, Jennifer, Jose. NEVER give a chil Jesus' name.
That's also blasphemous. Jesse and Jehu are good substitutes.
Above all avoid weird spellings. You should be able to tell
someone your name without having to spell it. I saw a woman at the Water
Company yesterday whose name was "Karryl." Now THAT is an abomination.
What's wrong with plain "Carol." That reminds me of Diahann Carroll.
Her first name has GOT to be simplified. She's a great actress, but I
cringe every time I see her name in print. A lot of people confuse her
with Dyan Cannon, another actress who obviously never learned the right
way to spell her own name. Poor thing!

A list of Mother Hickey's PREFERRED names follows: Aaron, Abel,
Africa, Albert, Aloha, Alma, Alvin, Amanda, Andre, Angelique, Aurora,
Barbara, Barnabas, Bathsheba, Benjamin, Berenice, Bernadette, Beulah,
Bradley, CaesarCalvin, Candace, Carl, Cassandra, Cecil, Cecilia, Chadwick,
Charlotte, Cheryl, Chester, Christopher, Christine, Cindy, Clarence,
Clarissa, Claudette, Clifford, Clyde, Cole, Cornelius, Curtis, Crystal,
Cynthia, Cyrus, Damon, Daniel, Darnell, David, Deborah, Della, Dennis,
Denzell, Derek, Desiree, Diana, Dinah, Donna, Duane (Dwayne is OK too),
Duke, Dwight, Earl, Ebenezer, Ebony, Edward, Eden, Elijah, Elizabeth,
Ernest, Esther, Ethiopia, Eugene, Eunice, Eve, Evelyn, Everett, Ezekiel,
Faith, Florence, Frederick, Gabriel, Geneva, George, Gerald, Geraldine,
Gideon, Giselle, Hannah, Hazel, Helen, Henry, Hope, Hugh (and Hugo),
Irmabeth, Isaac, Isaiah (note correct spelling), Jackson, Jacob, Jamal,
Jameelah, James, Janelle, Jarvis, Jasper, Jeremiah, Jesse, John,
Jolene, Jonah, Joseph, Joshua, Joyce, Juanita, Judy, Julia, Julius, Justin,
Kasha, Keesha, Kenya, Kilbert, Kim, Laura (but not barbarous spellings
like Lora), Leah, Leila, Lucas, Maisha, Manuel, Marcus, Margaret, Marvin,
Matthew, Michael, Moses, Mosette, Muhammad, Myron, Nathan, Nathaniel
(Nathanael is OK), Nicholas, Nigeria, Norman, Opal, Oscar, Otis, Paul,
Pearl, Peter, Rasheed, Raymond, Rebekah (Rebecca is OK), Reginald, Rex,
Richard, Robert, Roderick, Rollo, Ross, Rufus, Russell, Sabra, Sahara,
Samuel, Sandra, Sarah, Savannah, Scott, Sheila, Stephen, Sylvia, Tamara,
Tanzania, Tasha, Teresa, Thomas, Timothy, Tirzah, Tisha, Toya (but not
Toyya), Treasure, Uganda, Victoria, Virginia, William, Yolanda, Zachariah,
Zebedee, and Zola.

Mother Hickey's list of FORBIDDEN names follows: Adrian, Aiden, Amber,
Aphrodisia, Aphrodite, Ashley, Brittany, Bryce, Buffy, Caitlin, Carpathia,
Carrie, Chelsea, Courtney, Crematia, Croatia, Dalmatia, Dara, Darwin, Dawn,
Deirdre, Dolly, Dolores, Dracula, Elvira, Elvis, Emerald, Esmeralda,
Euridyce, Fagan, Ferdinand, Gandalf, Gareth, Garnet, Gavin, Gaylord, Gem,
Gwen, Gwynneth, Hagitha, Hailey, Hilda, Harlan, Heather, Hillary, Humana,
Isabel, Jade, Jaqueline, Jane, Janice, Jason, Jeffrey, Jennifer, Jessica,
Jewel, Joan, Jocasta, Jocelyn, Jody, Jordan, Juliet, Juno, Kelly, Isis,
Kevin, Lee, Lesbo, Lethe, Linda, Lynn, Madalyn, Marijuana, Millicent,
Monica, Mortala, Morticia, Nympho, Om, Orpheus, Patricia, Patrick, Percy,
Prince, Princess, Queen, Rachel, Regan, Romeo, Ryan, Samantha, Sappho,
Serbia, Sin, Sybil, Sylvester, Thalia, Vanity, Vanna, Venus, Yvonne, and
Zorilla.

More about this fascinating subject later. If you're curious
about a particular name or names, post them here and I'll tell you ALL
about it.

Jesus Loves You,
Even If Your Name Sounds Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard,

Mother Hickey of Dallas
Truth Embodied

Karla McCreary

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
In article <73imhu$1js$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>, penici...@hotmail.com says...

And what ever you do NEVER name your child Henrietta, it may grow up to
be a awful person err troll....

Hamilton

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98

> A parent's best source for names is the Holy Bible. There are no
> more beautiful names than Adam, Eve, Seth, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac,
> Rebekah, and so on. These names are practically universal and can be
> modified to suit almost any ethnic group's tastes. "Eva" can be

Oh, I know he is a troll -- but I couldn't resist this one. The man
who performed my wedding ceremony had a lovely Biblical name. 'Barzilla'
We should have used it for our son ---

Angel Sparrow

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
Angel here,

unable to resisit on one of her favorite subjects

Karla McCreary wrote:

> In article <73imhu$1js$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>, penici...@hotmail.com says...

> > If you give your children weird names they will have difficulty
> > getting along with others.

Plus every substitute teacher will mispronounce it
as well as every nurse, job-interviewer, etc.
I spent 30 years as "an-juh-lee-uh" It's "An-juh-luh"
Once i moved to the South, most people pronounced it right.

> If you give them celebrity's names they'll
> > grow up to be immoral.

Not necessarily. I have a Victoria, a Christopher and
a Jonathan. All share names with celebrities
(Victoria Prinicpal, Christopher Reeve, Jonathan Frid)
yet, I doubt they will grow up to be immoral.

> > A parent's best source for names is the Holy Bible.

Not a bad suggestion for a starting place, but frankly
I will not name a son Elijah, Hosea or Habakkuk.
Or a girl "make-up case" as Job did. I would hesitate
before calling a child Nympha, Linus or anything else.

> There are no
> > more beautiful names than Adam, Eve, Seth, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac,
> > Rebekah, and so on

Fine if you're Jewish or black or have a nondescript last name.
Ours is strongly Saxon, so we tend to favor British sounding names.
And the last Abraham I knew was Muslim.

> > Good Americans should name boys after U.S. presidents like Thomas
> > Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, and Zachary Taylor, and girls after notable
> > women in American history like Phyllis Wheatley, Harriet Tubman, and
> > Coretta Scott King.

Your option. I had a friend named Harriet and she took no end of teasing.
I would prefer to name them Clara, (Barton) Maria (Mitchell), Lucy (Stone)
or Susan (B. Anthony).

> > The names of good kings and queens make fine choices too: Duncan,
> > Richard, Frank.

Hmm, as in Richard the Lionhearted, whose
lover's quarrel with Phillip of France caused the
3rd Crusade to fall apart?
(I married a Richard, and his dad is a Robert.
I wanted a William)

> Ferdinand (Fernando) and Isabella are taboo because of what those evil
> > monarchs did to the Jews of Spain in the fifteenth century.

I rather like Isabella. After all didn't they send Columbus out, too?

> The names of
> > the great pharaohs are ideal: Ramses, Shabaka, Ptolemy. Don't forget
> > Cleopatra.

Right. I want a name that encourages my
daughter to get sexually involved at 12, marry
her brother, and take a million lovers before
committing suicide.

Hashephut was a much better queen.

> > Avoid using the names of wicked celebrities like Madonna (a
> > BLASPHEMOUS name)

No arguement

> , Morgan (for girls: this name is OK if a bit
> > old-fashioned for boys)

I rather like Morgana, as in Morgana le fay of Arthurian legend.

> , and Leonardo. Avoid names that are too common
> > and trendy: Jason, Jennifer, Jose. NEVER give a chil Jesus' name.
> > That's also blasphemous. Jesse and Jehu are good substitutes.

As is Jason (the Greek form) I wouldn't name
a child Y'sh'a if you paid me. Doesn't work with
Sparrow.

> > Above all avoid weird spellings. You should be able to tell
> > someone your name without having to spell it.

YES! YES! YES! Please spell things right.

> > A list of Mother Hickey's PREFERRED names follows: Aaron, Abel,
> > Africa,

I don't think so. We're white.

> Albert, Aloha, Alma, Alvin

the chipmunk?

> , Amanda, Andre, Angelique,

right, after a witch?

> Aurora,
> > Barbara, Barnabas,

Ah, a Dark Shadows fan. having an Angelique and a Barnabas in
the same family would be too much even for me. 8)

> Bathsheba,

a Gentile adultress?

> Benjamin, Berenice, Bernadette, Beulah,
> > Bradley, CaesarCalvin, Candace, Carl, Cassandra, Cecil, Cecilia, Chadwick,
>

> And what ever you do NEVER name your child Henrietta, it may grow up to
> be a awful person err troll....

Must agree.

Our next will be Gwendolyn Elizabeth or Elizabeth Morgana
or for a boy William Michael. Or maybe Charles Mordred.
<joke, I wouldn't do that to a child>

Angel, who loves british names

Becky Blanchard

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
(snipped long line of BS about names)
Henrietta,
My son's name is Charles. I happen to think its a very nice name
for him. It has absolutely notheing to do with Prince Charles.
My paternal grandfather who was a good decent hardworking man was
also named Charles.
Shightly off-topic: do you have any sort of proof Prince Charles had
anything to do with the death of Diana? Or are you just blowing smoke
out your ass as usual?

AS faar as your statement about getting alongt with others due to
names: could this be the reason you are having so much trouble getting
along here? think about it.

Becky
~ My idea of cleaning house is to sweep the room with a glance~

Banty

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98

>AS faar as your statement about getting alongt with others due to
>names: could this be the reason you are having so much trouble getting
>along here? think about it.
>
> Becky

When I see the name Henrietta - all I can think of is the town in Texas near
where I grew up.

At least it makes a little bit of sense - Henrietta was named after a
Henrietta. What I think is a bit weird is all the kids named "Austin" and
"Dallas". And girls named "Cheyenne". I think I'll name my next one "New
York City".
-------
Ba...@aol.com
"It is difficult to distinguish where the feminine ends and nature begins."
- Antonio Carlos Jobim

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
The spelling "Karla" is pushing it. "Carla" is better. Didn't
head Satanist Anton LaVey name one of his daughters Karla? I rest my case.
I admit that Henrietta is a bit old-fashioned. I was named after
my great-grandmother, who was a slave who bought her own freedom at age
22 before the Civil War. The name means a great deal to me, and means
"King of the Home." My King, at home and elsewhere, is Jesus.
"Karla" means "manly," by the way.
Finally, I am neither an awful person nor a troll. What makes
you think that? I try to teach people to live right. My preaching may
not make you feel good, but it's definitely good for your soul. What is
wrong with that.

Jesus Loves You,
And So Do I,

Whatever Your Name Is

Emory RN

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
>When I see the name Henrietta - all I can think of is the town in Texas near
>where I grew up.

I think of the car that is pulled by Toby the Tram Engine. Anyone out there
have a child who is a fan of Thomas like my son?
Amy

Karla McCreary

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
In article <73k333$7ma$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>, penici...@hotmail.com says...
The mere fact that you insist on "preaching" bothers me, this is a
discussion group, nobody here wants to be "preached" to.

Karla

jrsl...@webtv.net

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
who in the world are you?

DO NOT SPAM ME BY USING THIS EMAIL ADDRESS........But comments are
always welcome.

Russell Bostock

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
This has to be the funniest post yet!! I couldn't stop laughing!!!

Deirdre (sorry about the "forbidden" name, and sorry for responding to
this message! I just had to after seeing my name! Spelled correctly too
for that matter :)! )

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
I never spam anyone. I also never mail bomb my enemies, which is
more than I can say about SOME people on this Newsgroup. I never send
anyone any unsolicited e-mail at all.
Now, who am I? I am Reverend Mother Henrietta T. Hickey, Doctor
of Divinity and pastor of the First Universal Christian Kingdom in
Beautiful South Dallas, Texas. I am an Orthodox Black Messianic Jew who
reaches out to ALL peoples with the True Gospel of Christ Jesus. I am 49
years old, married almost thirty years to the same loving husband, and
happy to wear the Shackles of Christ. The Lord has empowered me to heal
thesick and raise the dead that doubters and scoffers believe and come to
a saving knowledge of Jesus the Christ.
I have been called "Teetotaling Teresa" because I have closed
many bars and liquor stores in Dallas. I run a hardware store that
facilitates the refurbishment of a once downtrodden community. I run a
daycare center that teaches children strong discipline. I would like to
open a Christian school and I accept your freewill love offerings in any
amount to help support my Holy Work. E-mail me for details. I no longer
post my address lestr I be sent another urine-soaked diaper or a Unabomb.
Please refer any questions you may have about Faith and Morals to
me and I will answer them completely and truthfully.

Jesus Loves EVEN You,

Sinners That You Are!

Mother Hickey of Dallas -|-
God's FAITHFUL Servant |

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
I have often said that Canadians have weird tastes in all
things. You live so close to America where life is good -- and warm -- but
are still tied to that evil queen in England. I hope Quebec finally secedes
from you and goes back into the Dark Ages with Iran and Iraq.
Anyway, Deirdre is forbidden because it is 1) difficult to spell,
2) difficult to prounounce, and 3) of uncertain meaning. It could be a
curse for all we know. Why have a name that's such a mystery? I
recommend that you change your name to the good Biblical name Deborah
before the year is out. God will bless you if you do.

Jesus Loves EVEN You,

In Spite of Your Funny Name!

Mother Hickey of Dallas

Lisa A. Hye

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98

Oh please. I had a Deirdre friend in high school. That was about the most
innocent, god-fearing, nicest girl their could have ever been. A person's
name has nothing to do with who/what they are.

Lisa
Mom to Kelsey (2.5)

Krista Claassen

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98

Banty wrote in message <19981126114420...@ng21.aol.com>...

>>AS faar as your statement about getting alongt with others due to
>>names: could this be the reason you are having so much trouble getting
>>along here? think about it.
>>
>> Becky
>
>When I see the name Henrietta - all I can think of is the town in Texas
near
>where I grew up.

I think of Henrietta Hippo - from The New Zoo Revue - that old kids' show

Krista
- which I'm certain old Henrietta will tell me is spelled wrong and is
blasphemous

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
The bogus "Reverend" Don Morgan rears his ugly head again, and
AGAIN defeats his own purpose. A few of the names on your list were
already on mine, Don. These include Gideon, Jehu, and Zebedee. To that
list you can also add Titus, which is a fine name. I also like Absalom
(watch that spelling), Amaziah, Asaph, Balaam, (semantically the same as
Joseph), Gamaliel, Heman, Jonadab, Lazarus, Mordecai (although it is
derived from the Babylonian god Marduk's name), Naboth, Nicodemus, and
Zerubbabel. Thank you, Don, you've proven useful (what Onesimus means)
to me after all. I'll add these to my list, which was not meant to be
exhaustive.
Ahab was the name of a wicked king, not a role model for today's
youth by a long shot. Athaliah was the name of a wicked queen, Jezebel's
daughter. Sennacherib was the name of a foreign king and enemy of Israel.
Ahasuerus was a Persian king. The Greek form Xerxes is easier to
pronounce and spell. I like the original Persian form myself: Khshayarsha.
Ish-bosheth and Mephibosheth were never given names. The
original forms included the ugly names of foreign gods, which the
Bible's editors changed to the Hebrew word "bosheth," which means "shame."
I do wish you'd send me your closely guarded e-mail address,
Don. There's something I'd love to tell you away from all the prying
eyes on this Newsgroup. I'll leave that decision up to you.
We both left out Hezekiah and Josiah, two of the best Biblical
names there are.

God Bless You, Don,

Skeptic That You Are!

Mother Hickey of Dallas

crazy...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
In article <11728-36...@newsd-172.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
She is a religous nut. Ignore her.

Beast

Jess

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
Angel Sparrow, you're ACTUALLY responding to this " person " in a
serious tone ? What gives ? this " Henrietta" person is the Jerry
Springer of this newsgroup. Please , read her posts for amusement,
like you would the National Enquiror, but move on. I feel silly for
even putting in post under this stupid dimwit , this person is
probably some sicko child molester or something . Everyone STOP
POSTING TO THIS PERSON
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil and Karla

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
In article <73khkq$94g$2...@nnrp1.crl.com>, penici...@hotmail.com says...

I really think it's unfortunate that you choose to enlighten people in
with such forcefulness and negativity. I feel that for every one person
in the newsgroup you may turn on to religion there are at least two that
you scare away. Perhaps you should save your "preaching" for some where
it is appreciated.

Karla - another wacky Canadian, and proud of it...

kaa...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
I know I promised not to respond to Mother Hickey, but I don't think this
will count. Since she said if we are curious what she thinks of certain
names, just ask and she will tell us. Here are some names I would like to
hear about.

Alyssa, Laura (evidently ok), Elena, Nicole, Elyse, & Brianne.

merr

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
Henrietta: Why is Heather a forbidden name? It is my daughters name &
I loved it when she was born and at 27yrs old it still fits her fine.
Also-what do you think of my name: Merry-it wasn't on any of your
lists? Appreciate a reply. Thanks. Merr
--
Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.
http://www.talkway.com

Dana H. Myers K6JQ

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98

Mother Henrietta Hickey <penici...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> If you give your children weird names they will have difficulty
> getting along with others. If you give them celebrity's names they'll
> grow up to be immoral.

Yeah, don't name your kid after celebrities like Jim Baker or Jim
Swaggart...

While I agree that giving a child certain names can put them at a
distinct disadvantage, this notion of "celebrity name == immoral"
is so ridiculous I can not figure out where it came from. Do you
perhaps mean some kind of unique celebrity name like "Madonna"?
That I would avoid, yes, but other celebrity names like William,
Leonard, Angela or Pamela don't strike me as problematic in the
least.

--
Dana K6JQ
Da...@Source.Net

Angel Sparrow

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
Angel again!

Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:

> Anyway, Deirdre is forbidden because it is 1) difficult to spell,

Not really, if you speak Gaelic!

> 2) difficult to prounounce

Ditto!

> , and 3) of uncertain meaning.

It means "sorrowful". It comes from the legend of an Irish
princess who was kidnapped and forced into marriage.
Like all Irish legends, it has a sad ending.

> It could be a
> curse for all we know. Why have a name that's such a mystery?

It's not a curse, and it's not a mystery. You just
need to get out of an Afrocentric shell.

And why is Brittany on the forbidden list,
when such place names as Ethiopia made it?
Brittany is the northern region of France.

And Gwen? Gwendolyn means white shoulders.
Why is that bad?

You have a southernist bias in your names
that is unfortunate for those of us of nordic descent.

> recommend that you change your name to the good Biblical name Deborah
> before the year is out. God will bless you if you do.

God doesn't care what we are called. He loves us even if our
parents name us Jezebel Delilah!

My next is nicely Biblical: Elizabeth Delilah.
The cousin of Mary, mother of John the baptist
and the Patriot of Philistia.

Angel
"My beloved has gone down the the gardens to the valley of
spices. he has gone to feed in the gardens and gather lilies."
_Song of Solomon

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
You know, Phil and Karla, the masses didn't respond favorably to
Jesus' Preaching at first either. You know you can't resist my
sermonettes because they're inspired by God Himself. I don't see a
single negative thing about any of my posts. The world is wicked and evil
and must be exposed as such and thoroughly cleansed. A lot of times that
wickedness begins with bad parenting. Criminals aren't usually born
that way -- they're made -- and by overindulgent or abusive parents who
pay no heed to the Word of God. I am not here to make
sinners feel good about things. I'm here to remind you how rotten life
is and what must be done to set things right.
A lot of you are dounting that I'm even a "person" now. What am
I supposed to be? A machine maybe? How silly!

Jesus Loves EVEN the Canadians,

Although He Has Smitten Them With Bitter Cold and High Taxes for a Reason!

Mother Hickey of Dallas

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
Well, Angel, I for one have no problem spelling or pronouncing
Deirdre, but I am an exception to the rule. Few people speak Gaelic any more,
even in Ireland. There have always been several variant spellings, and
most Americans have trouble pronouncing the name.
I would also say the jury is still out on whether Deirdre really
means "sorrowful." It is true that the Deirdre who eloped with the
ill-fated Naoise, who was then murdered by her rightful fiance King
Conchobhar, is called "Deirdre of the Sorrows," but that would suggest her
name really denotes something else. Perhaps if she hadn't wanted
to fool around so much her end wouldn't have been so tragic.
"Dolores" means "sorrows" or "pains" and so is on the forbidden list
because it implies that Saint Mary, the so-called Mother of Sorrows, is
still suffering. Since she's in Heaven now she is definitely not
suffering or sorrowful. Gaelic words for "sorrowful" include "bronach,"
"buartha," "diomach," "doiliosach," ""dubhach," and "gruama." I
understand that Gaelic words evolved quite a bit over the centuries, but
the precise meaning of the name Deirdre is still a mystery to most. I will
do further research into this matter.
Brittany is forbidden because of those unruly dogs called
Brittany spaniels. I'm not saying you shouldn't visit Brittany or enjoy
your visit there, just that you shouldn't name your daughter after it.
Ethiopia is different. It has a beautiful sound.
I know what "Gwendolyn" means. Tradition supports the meaning "white
bow" over "white shoulders." Anyway, Gwens usually have freckles. To me
the name has an obscene sound, like melted cheese squeezed between two
pieces of toast. The Vietnamese name Nguyen, which means "moon," is OK.
I have put many Anglo-Saxon and Nordic names on my list, which is
not exhaustive. Remember that the Vikings and the Celts were not always
the best of friends in history, and that the Celts were driven onto boggy
land and oppressed for centuries.
I don't think I have any bias at all.
God certainly DOES care what our names are. He changed Abram's
name to Abraham and Sarai's name to Sarah once He had established a
covenant with them. He changed Jedidiah's name to Solomon. Most kings
thereafter took a throne name that honored God.
Ugly names can be redeemed by righteous people. Jezebel and
Delilah are both possibilities for such redemption. Delilah means
"darkness" and is not a bad name for a Black woman. Jezebel gives honor
to the Phoenician god Baal. It also sounds too much like Isabel, which
is the wickedest woman's name on earth, I think. Didn't I say, however,
that God loves EVEN people with funny names? That doesn't mean He
doesn't expect them to change their names once they are born again.
Even with all its dark connotations, Delilah would be a better
name than Morgana. The Spanish are fond of their version "Dalila" and I
see nothing wrong with it.

Jesus STILL Loves You,

But Time Is Short,

Mother Hickey of Dallas
Jesus' Special Friend

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
In what way, pray tell, does the name Heather fit your daughter fine?
Heather is forbidden because of its association with the
uncultivated heaths of England and with the HEATHEN who lived on them.
It suggests a wild and untamed character. It's certainly no name for a
righteous woman. Your daughter should change her name to Erica at once.
Erica is the Latin name for the flowering heather shrub, or one of them
at any rate. It has no connection with "heathen" but does echo the name
Eric, which means "eternal king." The German equivalent Heidi is
likewise forbidden. "Heiden" is what the Germans call a gentile.
The Hebrew word for "heather" is Abrash. This name is also
acceptable.
Merry is a fine name but should not be confused with Mary. As
long as you live in an area where Mary and Merry are pronounced
distinctly, you're fine. Where I live in Texas, "Mary," "Merry," and
even "marry" are all pronounced alike. "Merr" by itself can mean
"beloved" in Egyptian, although at this late date we cannot be sure how
the name was pronounced.
There was once an actress named Merry Anders. She played in lots
of strange things but was good nonetheless.

Jesus Loves You,

Mother Hickey of Dallas

cd...@webtv.net

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
My old friend Anita no less! Why on earth did you "promise" not
to respond to me? And to whom did you make your promise? I'm not such a
bad person after all, am I? I'm a veritable FOUNT of Wisdom!

ALYSSA is OK, but not highly recommended. It's the plural of "alyssum,"
which is the name of a flower, two flowers if you include the sweet alyssum
as well. The name means literally "uninsane" because the flower was
thought to cure madness. An Alyssa will be a diplomat and peacemaker,
but who wants to put a woman in that position in the first place? I
recommend the Hebrew Shulamith in its place. Or the Greek Irene.

BRIANNE is not as good, but not forbidden either. A feminine equivalent
of BRIAN, it means "noble." The problem is that Briannes can become a
little snooty as they reach maturity. Brianna (or Briana) is a little better.
There's no silent e to hang pretensions on.

ELENA is the best of the names you listed. It is a Spanish equivalent of
the Greek name Helene, which is the same as Selena. All mean "moon."
Helene is what some could call the national name of Greece. The Greeks
call themselves Hellenes by association. Elenas are usually tireless
workers and tend to have large families.

ELYSE is a good name but verges on the pagan. It refers to the Elysian
Fields of Greek mythology and means basically "bliss." I would suggest
Eden in its place. Elyses can be a bit snobbish.

LAURA is definitely OK. It means "recipient of praise." Just be sure
not to spell it any other way. Laurie is OK as a diminutive but Lori is
definitely out. Lauras often wind up as teachers or missionaries. Loris
seldom make it beyond the fast food counter or the manicurist's chair.

NICOLE is the worst on your list because it is so trendy. Nicolette is a
better choice. A French feminine equivalent of Nicholas, it means
"victory for the people." Nicoles will be expected to take sides and
defend underdogs. Nicola is terrible. All her fizz will fade away
before she's thirty.

Thank you for your inquiry. "Anita," of course, is a diminutive of Ann
and means "grace."

Jesus Loves You,
And Urges You to Seek Out Mother Hickey's Help

Mother Hickey of Dallas

Message has been deleted

Russell Bostock

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:

> Well, Angel, I for one have no problem spelling or pronouncing
> Deirdre, but I am an exception to the rule. Few people speak Gaelic any more,
> even in Ireland. There have always been several variant spellings, and
> most Americans have trouble pronouncing the name.

Actually, lots of people in Ireland speak Gaelic. In fact there are
still some areas where it is the only language spoken!

As for the spellings - there have been numerous misspelling of names
which have become standard in certain parts of the world. In Ireland
the name Deirdre remains correctly spelled.

I've never run into anyone who has difficulty pronouncing it, but it has
been misspelled a lot since I've been in N. America.

> I would also say the jury is still out on whether Deirdre really
> means "sorrowful." It is true that the Deirdre who eloped with the
> ill-fated Naoise, who was then murdered by her rightful fiance King
> Conchobhar, is called "Deirdre of the Sorrows," but that would suggest her
> name really denotes something else. Perhaps if she hadn't wanted
> to fool around so much her end wouldn't have been so tragic.

I'm very impressed with your knowledge of Irish fokelore!

Deirdre

Mir_tod

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
Here are the names that I am contemplating: What do you all think?
Boy- Osten (my grandfather was Oswald aka Ossie - so I want an Os-
name) Any other OS____ suggestions?
Girls- Mercedes, Mirastasia (like Anastasia), Miranda, -- Do you have
any other Mir____ suggestions
also- Nastassia, Tatianna, Xenia (pronounced Zenia or Ksenia(polish
name), Natasha, Daria, Anyone have any eastern European name
suggestions (boy or Girl)?

Lee Thomas

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
I suppose that naming my son "Lucifer" was a good choice then - IT'S IN THE
BIBLE!!!

Actually, I have become partial to Lilith for my daughter to be, perhaps
Bethsheba? My step-son, Belial, likes his name just fine also.

Huh, guess there are some fine biblical names out there after all

Beliathon, Azmodeous, Betelgeuse <sp?> all sound like fine strong
names......lol

Lee

Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:

> < Snipped for the hell of it>

KL Ussery

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
Jess wrote:

Everyone has a delete button and the ability to skip over posts and not read
them. Do this and posts you don't like will not affect you.

Everyone has the right to post (unfortunately in some cases) even the annoying.

Kendra
--
Proud to be "Outlandish"!
http://members.aol.com/klussery (UPDATED)

Banty

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
> Brittany is forbidden because of those unruly dogs called
>Brittany spaniels. I'm not saying you shouldn't visit Brittany or enjoy
>your visit there, just that you shouldn't name your daughter after it.
>Ethiopia is different. It has a beautiful sound.

ROTFLMOA Henrietta you gave me one heck of a belly laugh here.

Diety forbid the Ethiopians had bred some high-strung kind of dog. You would
have put that name on the shit list too?

It's sort of a morbid fascination here - you listing names, which are "good",
which are "evil", and everyone watching to see what you'd say next.

-------
Ba...@aol.com
"It is difficult to distinguish where the feminine ends and nature begins."
- Antonio Carlos Jobim

Mir_tod

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98

S & W

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98

in message <73la2n$n...@sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>...
:

:>Banty wrote:
:>When I see the name Henrietta - all I can think of is the town in Texas

:near
:>where I grew up.

:
:Krista Claassen wrote
:I think of Henrietta Hippo - from The New Zoo Revue - that old kids' show

:....
:
:Krista
:- which I'm certain old Henrietta will tell me is spelled wrong and is
:blasphemous

I Loved the New Zoo Revue... I go around singing the theme song and my kids
think I am nuts. I personally loved Freddy. Sorry to digress, but I had
to.
I wish I could find it in reruns on syndication somewhere. That show and
all the Sid and Marty Kroft shows. Oh, I won't get started; I promise. :)
*~shay~*

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
So many comedians are starving, and YOU come here.
No one in his or her right mind would name a child Lucifer or Belial.
Not every name in the Bible is recommended and I never said it was. I
said the Bible was your best source for names that appeal to the largest
number of people. We are all children of Adam, for instance, and
descendants of Noah. The Faithful of many religions owe their faith to
Abraham.
Lilith is not a name I particularly like. A lot of witches have
it. It's not totally forbidden for a woman with dark hair or skin. It
means "night child" and was once used to describe screech owls, a lot
like the Italian word "strega," which now means "witch." I have already
expressed my approval of Bathsheba.
You spelled Betelgeuse correctly, but it is no more Biblical than
Asmodeus (which has no z) or Beliathon. Betelgeuse is the name of a star
in the constellation Orion. Some say it means "house of the twins,"
others that it means "shoulder of the giant." The former is probably
more correct. Are you using the filthy Satanic Bible to find names?
Satanists' children usually rebel against their parents and become
Christians. You'll see.

Mother Hickey of Dallas

Who Is Not Laughing out Loud at Your Feeble Attempts at Humor

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
Neither list was exhaustive, Kathi, and Jonathan has my FULL
approval. Don't you feel better now. Jonathan and Nathaniel are similar
in meaning, yes. No name "damns" a child to a substandard life in and of
itself. Some ugly names simply stigmatize children and weigh them down
with needless psychological baggage.

God bless you, my Child,

Mother Hickey of Dallas

(Kathleen is also fully approved and means "pure.")

kaa...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
Oh, I can't stand it. I want to respond SOOOOOOO bad. I guess my kids will
grow up to be schizophrenic since each of them have a "good" name AND a "bad"
name. But I will keep my mouth shut and not let this go any further. :o)

In article <73n06d$h5r$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>,

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
My name is HICKEY, dear, not Hinkley. You're thinking of the
professor on "Gilligan's Island."
Osten counts as a misspelled name. Austin is OK; Osten is a
barbarism. No one will ever deduce how to spell it without being told.
The "Os-" element in names like Oscar and Oswald is good: it means
"God's..." Oscar is "God's spear," Oswald "God's rule." There aren't
many standard names with this element. Osbert and Osmond come to mind,
and I suppose Oswin ("God's friend") isn't unattested.
Doesn't "osten" mean something like "the cheeses" in Swedish?
Mercedes is not recommended. An epithet of St. Mary, it gives
Jesus' Mother more influence than she really has. It's God's mercies we
pray for, not Mary's. Of course, if you're Catholic or Eastern Orthodox
and practice some form of Mariolatry, the name would be a fine choice.
People with that name tend to be gossips. Mercedes McCambridge became an
alcoholic.
Anastasia means "resurrection." Mir- is a Slavic elements
meaning "peace" (or "world"). I'm not sure the two should be connected.
Try something like Miroslava, "the world's glory" if you must have a
"Mir-" name. There are also Mira, Miraflor, and Miramont, none of them
highly recommended. Anastasias often grow up to be old maids. If they have
children, they often outlive them. Miras tend to age quickly, or to
gain excess weight while they're young.
Nastassia is a diminutive of Anastasia. The former is a bit
pretentious but not forbidden. Natasha is excellent. It's a diminutive
of Natalia, which means "birth" and refers to the Birth of Christ.
Miranda is good. It means "admirable."
Tatiana (one n is preferable) probably means "favoring her
father" and is OK but a bit old-fashioned. If your surname is Russian it
might fit.
Xenia is Greek. It means "foreign woman." I would neither
forbid nor recommend it. It sounds bizarre to my ears. Ksenia is the
spelling used in any language where x is not used, Polish being only one
of them.
Daria is a Greek borrowing from Old Persian. A very old name, it
means something like "enduring." It sounds like the Slavic word for
"gift" and might be given to girls seen by their parents as gifts from God.
There are all sorts of Slavic names, from Aleksei to Zakhar. Baltic
and Hungarian names are also interesting. Genevra Gerhardt gives a
complete breakdown of Russian names in her book "The Russians' World."
A Czech name I find interesting is Rehor. It's the equivalent
of the Greek name Gregory (itself the equivalent of the Hebrew Ira) but
it's r's are aspirated in a very distinctive way. Only Slaves and people
like me whom Almighty God has blessed with the Gift of Tongues can
pronounce it.

Mother Hickey of Dallas
Fount of Wisdom

Paige Preston-Walker

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:
<snip the crap>

> Jesus Loves EVEN the Canadians,
>
> Although He Has Smitten Them With Bitter Cold and High Taxes for a Reason!
>
> Mother Hickey of Dallas

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
(That's all I need to say)
--
Paige - a truly proud CANADIAN!
proud to be Outlandish

Paige Preston-Walker

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:

<snipped>

> Mother Hickey of Dallas
>
> Who Is Not Laughing out Loud at Your Feeble Attempts at Humor

Don't worry about her Lee. I thought it was funny :)
--
Paige

KL Ussery

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
>Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:
><snip the crap>
>> Jesus Loves EVEN the Canadians,
>>
>> Although He Has Smitten Them With Bitter Cold and High Taxes for a Reason!
>>
>> Mother Hickey of Dallas
>
>HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
>(That's all I need to say)
>--
>Paige - a truly proud CANADIAN!
>proud to be Outlandish

So Paige, if all Canadians turn to Hickey for guidance and live her way do you
think Canada will become the tropics?

star chavez

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
"So Paige, if all Canadians turn to Hickey for guidance and live her way
do you
think Canada will become the tropics?

Kendra "

NO! WE do not need it *hotter* than it already is in summer...Howeve,
maybe she could do something about the 2 weeks in winter where you
seriously cannot feel your face.
C.

my girls mom

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
Okay, everybody can give me a hard time later, but I am dying of
curiosity. Why are Hailey and Regan forgbidden? What is wrong with them?

Hailey --- root: Haela, origin: Norse,
meaning: "strong heroine."

I loaned my book out and don't have Regan's info written down, but I can
find nothing wrong with the info I have for Hailey.

Liz

linda-renee

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:

> My name is HICKEY, dear, not Hinkley. You're thinking of the
> professor on "Gilligan's Island."

She was probably thinking of the guy who shot Reagan. He's as insane as
you are.

--
Linda (quite pleased to have a child whose name is on the wacko's
"forbidden" list)

Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be
right.

John Harris

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:

> My name is HICKEY, dear, not Hinkley. You're thinking of the
> professor on "Gilligan's Island."

So - OSWALD is Sword of God... And OSWALD murdered John Kennedy...

So the Sword of God murdered John Kennedy in Dallas....

And Mother Henrietta is in Dallas...

Quick - Call Oliver Stone!!!!

Banty

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
Hinkley? Oswald?

How's Sirhan as a name?

Jan Harris

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
In light of all the new info read in this thread, we have changed our kids' name
to Spot and Dot.

Jan (short for Janis...eeek) Harris, John's demented wife.

Paige Preston-Walker

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
star chavez wrote:

> "So Paige, if all Canadians turn to Hickey for guidance and live her way
> do you
> think Canada will become the tropics?
>
> Kendra "

Oh, yeah. Right.

Goodness, last year it was so warm here that I barely used my winter
coat, and when I did I left it undone. No scarf, no mitts, no nuttin!
Cripes though, cross the border into Buffalo, and WATCH OUT! It's
really cold south of *my* border!

> NO! WE do not need it *hotter* than it already is in summer...Howeve,
> maybe she could do something about the 2 weeks in winter where you
> seriously cannot feel your face.
> C.

Star Chavez, you must be from Manitoba :)

Barchet

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98

In article <5354-366...@newsd-144.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
lleb...@webtv.net (my girls mom) writes:

>Mother Hickey wrote: Gwens usually have freckles............
>

>And what, may I ask, is wrong with freckles?? Being a redhead of Irish
>decent I have quite a few of them and consider them a blessing.
>
>Liz
>A girl without freckles is like a night without stars.

In my house, if you ~don't~ have freckles something is wrong!

Denise
...mom to Patrick, Erin, Sean, & Kiera

star chavez

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
"> NO! WE do not need it *hotter* than it already is in summer...Howeve,
> maybe she could do something about the 2 weeks in winter where you
> seriously cannot feel your face.
> C.

Star Chavez, you must be from Manitoba :)
-- "

Howdja guess? *g*
C.

John Harris

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:

> Well, I'm certainly no fan of John Kennedy. He makes Bill
> Clinton look like a saint! But I had nothing to do with his murder. I
> was only fourteen at the time and actually had no interest in his visit
> to my City. He was on his way out of it when he got shot.
> Now, I suggest that you go back over your notes. "Oswald" means
> "God's rule," not "God's sword." The latter would be Oswert or Osbil or
> something like that, none of which I've ever heard of or can recommend.
> Oswald was the assassin's last name. He had no control over it.
> Dot is not bad as a diminutive of Dorothy. Both are a bit
> old-fashioned. Spot is definitely out for a child. Janis, finally,
> counts as a misspelling. You lose a total of 120 points in the name
> game, Jan. Care to try again?
>
> Jesus Loves EVEN You,
>
> Mother Hickey of Dallas

I've got to find something else to do with my spare time.....

Jennifer Hasenknopf

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
Speaking of "pride" Iguess you'll be frozen in one of them glaciers as wlel

since all you do is proclaim your Christian idiotic pride...

*smiling snarlingly*

Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote in message <73ss8e$30l$3...@nnrp1.crl.com>...
> So, Paige -- and the vast majority of women with that name ARE
>Canadians -- you don't believe Jesus loves Canadians? All I ever hear
>them talk about are their high taxes and frigid weather.
> Anyway, PROUD child, you know what pride is, don't you? One of
>the SEVEN DEADLY SINS, that's what! Don't be TOO proud, dear, or God
>will humble you and you might wind up frozen in one of the many glaciers
>that cover vast tracts of Canada.
>

>Jesus STILL Loves Your Cold, Cold Canadian Heart,
>

>Mother Hickey in Warm, Lush, GREEN South Dallas

Jennifer Hasenknopf

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
You are really annoyingLOL Why would you even waste your time posting to all
of us mature adults about which names are correct and which aren't!!!LOL You
have NO regard at all for different religions, cultures, ethnic
backgrounds...!! You completely wasted your time "honey"....

My son has a very unique and beautiful name!!!!*S* but of course I am secure
with his name and I won't stoop down so low to ask "Mother Henrietta Bickey
some old lady in Texas in a completely different country and who could be a
frog for all I know" for her approval of my son's name..!!*S*

*ties some rope to Hickey to drag her off her "high horse"

LOL

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
A "revue" is different from a "review." The show's format was
closer to a revue than to a review. Don't jump to conclusions. You
might just land in doodoo.
Krista is actually OK too, as long as yo really are a Christian
and not a hypocrite.

Jesus Loves EVEN You,

Reverend Mother Hickey
God's Special Agent
in the Midst of UTTER Chaos

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98

slee...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
In article <73o11d$clf$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

kaa...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Oh, I can't stand it. I want to respond SOOOOOOO bad. I guess my kids will
> grow up to be schizophrenic since each of them have a "good" name AND a "bad"
> name. But I will keep my mouth shut and not let this go any further. :o)

this whole thread and its various sub-threads is just stunning. like a stick
of cotton candy. lots of fluff, lots of fun, lots of sticky but no real
substance.

i don't know whether to laugh or cry.

> In article <73n06d$h5r$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>,
> Mother Henrietta Hickey <penici...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm a veritable FOUNT of Wisdom!

very subtle use of the more commonly used 'font'.

<<clip>>

> > An Alyssa will be a diplomat and peacemaker,
> > but who wants to put a woman in that position in the first place?

??? :-)

<<clip>>

> > The problem is that Briannes can become a little snooty as they reach
> > maturity. Brianna (or Briana) is a little better.
> > There's no silent e to hang pretensions on.

"...hang pretensions on." ???? :-)

<<clip>>

> > Elenas are usually tireless workers and tend to have large families.

:-)

> > ELYSE is a good name but verges on the pagan. It refers to the Elysian
> > Fields of Greek mythology and means basically "bliss."

and we wouldn't want any "bliss" now would we?

> > I would suggest Eden in its place. Elyses can be a bit snobbish.

:-)

<<clip>>

> > Lauras often wind up as teachers or missionaries. Loris
> > seldom make it beyond the fast food counter or the manicurist's chair.

:-) :-)

<<clip>>

> > Nicola is terrible. All her fizz will fade away before she's thirty.

:-)

how entertaining. :-|

Paige Preston-Walker

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
My step-father is from Winnipeg. He always used to say that he never
minded the winters there. That was after being in Toronto for about
15-20 years. Not once, in all that time, had he been home during the
winter months.

One year he had a show to do in Winnipeg on New Years Eve. He took one
step out of the terminal...and turned around and walked up to the
counter to change his ticket so he could go back to the "Tropics" of
Toronto. :)

Paige Preston-Walker

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:

> So, Paige -- and the vast majority of women with that name ARE
> Canadians
Sorry, actually it is an Anglo-Saxon name and you'll find most of those
who share my moniker in England or Scotland.

> -- you don't believe Jesus loves Canadians?

I never said that.

> All I ever hear
> them talk about are their high taxes and frigid weather.

I NEVER complain about the weather, unless it gets to hot and I'd rather
complain about taxes that than some of the crap you in the US complain
about.

> Anyway, PROUD child, you know what pride is, don't you? One of
> the SEVEN DEADLY SINS, that's what! Don't be TOO proud, dear, or God
> will humble you and you might wind up frozen in one of the many glaciers
> that cover vast tracts of Canada.

Last time I looked their weren't any glaciers in downtown Toronto.

> Jesus STILL Loves Your Cold, Cold Canadian Heart,

My heart is not cold, nor is my country.

> Mother Hickey in Warm, Lush, GREEN South Dallas

Hickey, shut up. You're making an ass of yourself.

--
Paige - who will say nothing more on this subject - unless the group
suddenly changes it's name to alt.support.geography

KL Ussery

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
Hickey wrote:

>So, Paige -- and the vast majority of women with that name ARE

>Canadians -- you don't believe Jesus loves Canadians? All I ever hear

>them talk about are their high taxes and frigid weather.

> Anyway, PROUD child, you know what pride is, don't you? One of
>the SEVEN DEADLY SINS, that's what! Don't be TOO proud, dear, or God
>will humble you and you might wind up frozen in one of the many glaciers
>that cover vast tracts of Canada.
>

>Jesus STILL Loves Your Cold, Cold Canadian Heart,
>

>Mother Hickey in Warm, Lush, GREEN South Dallas

Hickey, aren't you aware of the fact that God created this world we live in?
He created "lush green South Dallas" just as he created Canada and the
glaciers. So insinuating that Canada is cold and Canadians have cold hearts
because they have somehow upset God, is ridiculous (in other words so like
your usual tirades).

star chavez

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
Hiya Paige,

"My step-father is from Winnipeg. He always used to say that he never
minded the winters there. That was after being in Toronto for about
15-20 years. Not once, in all that time, had he been home during the
winter months."

I don't blame him!

"One year he had a show to do in Winnipeg on New Years Eve. He took one
step out of the terminal...and turned around and walked up to the
counter to change his ticket so he could go back to the "Tropics" of
Toronto. :)
-"

LOL! - However, I must defend my fair city on principle---(this is my pat
line: It really isn't too bad in January-if you dress for it! *g*)..Well,
seriously, you gotta be rugged to live here (and I walk everywhere--no
driving!)..As an aside, my SO has had a few job offers from TO in the last
little while and it is a contender for the the city in which we may move
to in the next year...He is tempting me with the milder winters (of
course, there is Vancouver--but who wants all that rain??)
Cheers,C.

eosin...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
In article <73imhu$1js$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>,

Mother Henrietta Hickey <penici...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Mother Hickey's list of FORBIDDEN names follows: Adrian, Aiden, Amber,
> Aphrodisia, Aphrodite, Ashley, Brittany, Bryce, Buffy, Caitlin, Carpathia,
> Carrie, Chelsea, Courtney, Crematia, Croatia, Dalmatia, Dara, Darwin, Dawn,
> Deirdre, Dolly, Dolores, Dracula, Elvira, Elvis, Emerald, Esmeralda,
> Euridyce, Fagan, Ferdinand, Gandalf, Gareth, Garnet, Gavin, Gaylord, Gem,
> Gwen, Gwynneth, Hagitha, Hailey, Hilda, Harlan, Heather, Hillary, Humana,
> Isabel, Jade, Jaqueline, Jane, Janice, Jason, Jeffrey, Jennifer, Jessica,
> Jewel, Joan, Jocasta, Jocelyn, Jody, Jordan, Juliet, Juno, Kelly, Isis,
> Kevin, Lee, Lesbo, Lethe, Linda, Lynn, Madalyn, Marijuana, Millicent,
> Monica, Mortala, Morticia, Nympho, Om, Orpheus, Patricia, Patrick, Percy,
> Prince, Princess, Queen, Rachel, Regan, Romeo, Ryan, Samantha, Sappho,
> Serbia, Sin, Sybil, Sylvester, Thalia, Vanity, Vanna, Venus, Yvonne, and
> Zorilla.

Hey, why Darwin but not Huxley (my kid's name)? She was also named Abbey (for
Abbey Road, London), and Lydia (for Lydia - Greek colony).

Morticia??? Lesbo? ELVIS???? Sounds great to me! As does Hailey (and the
Comets). Are you a nut or what?

Eo

Sarah Robbins-Bartlow

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
Sorry, I couldn't pass this one up...

Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote in message <73imhu$1js$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>...

< snipped>

> A parent's best source for names is the Holy Bible. There are no
>more beautiful names than Adam, Eve, Seth, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac,
>Rebekah, and so on.

Let us see... Adam and Eve ate the fruit which got us where we are today,
and these are good names??

jackd...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98

> Ba...@aol.com
> "It is difficult to distinguish where the feminine ends and nature begins."
> - Antonio Carlos Jobim

This is an aside, but FYI for fascinating background on Antonio Carlos Jobim,
a great resource is the book "The Brazilian Sound: Samba, Bossa Nova and the
Popular Music of Brazil" by Chris McGowan and Ricardo Pessanha (Temple
University Press, 1998), which is available at amazon.com and
barnesandnoble.com. The authors also have a Brazilian music web site called
The MPB Zone, at http:members.aol.com/thempbzone/index.html

--Jack Davies

kaa...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
OK. So I can't do it. My hubby asked why I keep responding and I have to
admit the only reason I do is because it IS entertaining and amusing.

I wanted to point out that it WAS Mother Hickey that originally posted that
large families where a disgrace, wasn't it? What about this statement?

> > > Elenas are usually tireless workers and tend to have large families.

Also, I am SURE one of her posts said not to name your child after famous
people because they would grow up to be immoral. Yet she says that Nicole is
okay, but Nicolette would be better? What about Nicolette Sheridan?

Point made. Mother Hickey - you better stop because the more you say, the
more you cut your own throat. :o)

In article <73t12j$76v$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

slee...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <73o11d$clf$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> kaa...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > Oh, I can't stand it. I want to respond SOOOOOOO bad. I guess my kids will
> > grow up to be schizophrenic since each of them have a "good" name AND a
"bad"
> > name. But I will keep my mouth shut and not let this go any further. :o)
>
> this whole thread and its various sub-threads is just stunning. like a stick
> of cotton candy. lots of fluff, lots of fun, lots of sticky but no
real
> substance.
>
> i don't know whether to laugh or cry.
>

> > In article <73n06d$h5r$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>,

kaa...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98

> > Serbia, Sin, Sybil, Sylvester, Thalia, Vanity, Vanna, Venus, Yvonne, and
> > Zorilla.

What do Sybil's turn out like?

In article <73v2kl$tdd$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
eosin...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <73imhu$1js$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>,

> Mother Henrietta Hickey <penici...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Mother Hickey's list of FORBIDDEN names follows: Adrian, Aiden, Amber,
> > Aphrodisia, Aphrodite, Ashley, Brittany, Bryce, Buffy, Caitlin, Carpathia,
> > Carrie, Chelsea, Courtney, Crematia, Croatia, Dalmatia, Dara, Darwin, Dawn,
> > Deirdre, Dolly, Dolores, Dracula, Elvira, Elvis, Emerald, Esmeralda,
> > Euridyce, Fagan, Ferdinand, Gandalf, Gareth, Garnet, Gavin, Gaylord, Gem,
> > Gwen, Gwynneth, Hagitha, Hailey, Hilda, Harlan, Heather, Hillary, Humana,
> > Isabel, Jade, Jaqueline, Jane, Janice, Jason, Jeffrey, Jennifer, Jessica,
> > Jewel, Joan, Jocasta, Jocelyn, Jody, Jordan, Juliet, Juno, Kelly, Isis,
> > Kevin, Lee, Lesbo, Lethe, Linda, Lynn, Madalyn, Marijuana, Millicent,
> > Monica, Mortala, Morticia, Nympho, Om, Orpheus, Patricia, Patrick, Percy,
> > Prince, Princess, Queen, Rachel, Regan, Romeo, Ryan, Samantha, Sappho,
> > Serbia, Sin, Sybil, Sylvester, Thalia, Vanity, Vanna, Venus, Yvonne, and
> > Zorilla.
> >
> Hey, why Darwin but not Huxley (my kid's name)? She was also named Abbey (for
> Abbey Road, London), and Lydia (for Lydia - Greek colony).
>
> Morticia??? Lesbo? ELVIS???? Sounds great to me! As does Hailey (and the
> Comets). Are you a nut or what?
>
> Eo

Bailey

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
Couldn't help but to respond since I am on the "forbidden" list - can't
imagine why, I was named after my mother (it was her maiden name)... Didn't
see my husband's name (Neil) on either list, but that's O.K., it doesn't
thrill me anyway (the name, that is, my husband thrills me just fine!!
:)....

Carrie Lynn (Mom to Elizabeth Kathleen, wife to Neil Archur) & can you
believe I'm Italian with all those English sounding names!!??

Krista Claassen

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98

Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote in message <73srro$30l$2...@nnrp1.crl.com>...

> A "revue" is different from a "review." The show's format was
>closer to a revue than to a review. Don't jump to conclusions. You
>might just land in doodoo.
> Krista is actually OK too, as long as yo really are a Christian
>and not a hypocrite.
>
>Jesus Loves EVEN You,

1. I was much to young to notice if the show was spelled "revue" or
"review."

2. I don't care if you think my name is ok or not. It's MY name, and I like
it.

3. My being a Christian or not is not only none of your business, it really
has no bearing on what my name is -- my name came long before I was able to
choose a religion for myself.

4. Your signing your posts "Jesus Loves EVEN You" insinuates that you feel
that I (and others) am not worth of Jesus's love. Surely as a
"whatever-the-heck-you-proclaim-to-be" you know that Jesus's love is there
for all --- so you should consider signing your posts with "Jesus Loves
You."

Krista

Angel Sparrow

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
Angel here

eosin...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <73imhu$1js$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>,
> Mother Henrietta Hickey <penici...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Mother Hickey's list of FORBIDDEN names follows:

> Dracula,

Well, duh! Like I'm going to name my child "son of the dragon"

BTW: how come Barnabas (another fictional vampire) is
acceptable and Dracula isn't?

> , Emerald, Esmeralda,

Why are these bad and Opal is good?

> Gareth, Garnet, Gavin,

Gareth and Gavin are good Anglo names, knights
of the Round Table. And the last Gareth I knew was
a very cool little guy (for a 2.)

Better than Aethelrad or Cnute, which are good Saxon names.

> > Kevin,

What the problem here? except that he'll be a waiter in a snooty restaurant.

> Madalyn,

Madeline honors Mary Magdalene.
My personal patron, I have considered
using this.

> Patricia, Patrick,

Ahem! You're going to tell me the patron of Ireland is off-limits?
Not when your last name is O'Neill it isn't.
Take a clue.

> Hey, why Darwin but not Huxley (my kid's name)? She was also named Abbey (for
> Abbey Road, London), and Lydia (for Lydia - Greek colony).

Why would you name a little girl Huxley? Just out of curiosity. Or is it her
last name?
Abbey Lydia is pretty. Abbey Lydia Huxley is a very English
sounding name. I like it.

> Morticia??? Lesbo? ELVIS???? Sounds great to me! As does Hailey (and the
> Comets). Are you a nut or what?

Morticia was our cat when I was a child. Hailey does not appeal.
Too trendy and gender-neutral.

I still want to know why her approved names include
known homosexuals (Richard Lionheart, Plato, etc)
and women of loose morals (Cleopatra, Catherine).

I went to school with a Buffy, and can't get past Leslie Howard
as Ashley.

My opinion is girls should not have male names.
Taurus and Demetrius are masculine names.

And if you're naming the boy Antoine,
don't spell it Antwain. I read it "Ant-wayne"
and asked "You're a wagon for ants?"

Angel, alpha chldren all wear grey.

Barchet

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98

In article <3663EBA7...@hotmail.com>, Angel Sparrow
<vala...@hotmail.com> writes:

>I still want to know why her approved names include
>known homosexuals (Richard Lionheart, Plato, etc)
>and women of loose morals (Cleopatra, Catherine).
>
>I went to school with a Buffy, and can't get past Leslie Howard
>as Ashley.
>
>My opinion is girls should not have male names.
>Taurus and Demetrius are masculine names.

Hi Angel,
Catherine of Siena was an intellectual in the early Christian church and an
ascetic (the antithesis of loose morals). Just thought I'd point that out! ;)

I happen to agree with you that girls should not have masculine names, which
definitely seems to be a trend these days. Blame my mother for this--even
though I love the name Kieran, when I proposed naming my daughter that (and
changing the spelling to Kieranne to feminize it), all I heard from my mother
was, "Kieran is a boy's name." So, I dropped the final "n" and made it Kiera
and everyone was happy, even my DH (who thought that Kieran sounded to close to
Erin, the name of our oldest daughter).

And, yeah, I have to pronounce and/or spell it for everyone. But since I grew
up having to do that with my maiden name, it's no big deal. ;)

BTW, Kieran was one of the first twelve bishops of Ireland, personally
consecrated by St. Patrick.

Denise
...mom to Patrick, Erin, Sean, and Kiera (does anyone see a pattern here?
<G>)

Sleepless

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Which one? <g> <raises eyebrow>
Lots of personality(ies).

<kaa...@my-dejanews.com> wrote in message 73v9i1$3md$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com...

>> > Serbia, Sin, Sybil, Sylvester, Thalia, Vanity, Vanna, Venus, Yvonne,
and
>> > Zorilla.
>
>What do Sybil's turn out like?
>

>In article <73v2kl$tdd$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

> eosin...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>> In article <73imhu$1js$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>,
>> Mother Henrietta Hickey <penici...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Mother Hickey's list of FORBIDDEN names follows: Adrian, Aiden, Amber,
>> > Aphrodisia, Aphrodite, Ashley, Brittany, Bryce, Buffy, Caitlin,
Carpathia,
>> > Carrie, Chelsea, Courtney, Crematia, Croatia, Dalmatia, Dara, Darwin,
Dawn,
>> > Deirdre, Dolly, Dolores, Dracula, Elvira, Elvis, Emerald, Esmeralda,
>> > Euridyce, Fagan, Ferdinand, Gandalf, Gareth, Garnet, Gavin, Gaylord,
Gem,
>> > Gwen, Gwynneth, Hagitha, Hailey, Hilda, Harlan, Heather, Hillary,
Humana,
>> > Isabel, Jade, Jaqueline, Jane, Janice, Jason, Jeffrey, Jennifer,
Jessica,
>> > Jewel, Joan, Jocasta, Jocelyn, Jody, Jordan, Juliet, Juno, Kelly, Isis,
>> > Kevin, Lee, Lesbo, Lethe, Linda, Lynn, Madalyn, Marijuana, Millicent,
>> > Monica, Mortala, Morticia, Nympho, Om, Orpheus, Patricia, Patrick,
Percy,
>> > Prince, Princess, Queen, Rachel, Regan, Romeo, Ryan, Samantha, Sappho,
>> > Serbia, Sin, Sybil, Sylvester, Thalia, Vanity, Vanna, Venus, Yvonne,
and
>> > Zorilla.
>> >

>> Hey, why Darwin but not Huxley (my kid's name)? She was also named Abbey
(for
>> Abbey Road, London), and Lydia (for Lydia - Greek colony).
>>

>> Morticia??? Lesbo? ELVIS???? Sounds great to me! As does Hailey (and
the
>> Comets). Are you a nut or what?

Angel Sparrow

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Angel here

Barchet wrote:

> In article <3663EBA7...@hotmail.com>, Angel Sparrow
> <vala...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> >I still want to know why her approved names include
> >known homosexuals (Richard Lionheart, Plato, etc)
> >and women of loose morals (Cleopatra, Catherine).

> Hi Angel,
> Catherine of Siena was an intellectual in the early Christian church and an
> ascetic (the antithesis of loose morals). Just thought I'd point that out! ;)

Sorry, I was thinking Catherine the Great of Russia.
Peter the Great characterized her as an insatiable
nympho. She responded that he was insane,
pinching her legs until they were black and
blue during the course of a normal conversation.

> BTW, Kieran was one of the first twelve bishops of Ireland, personally
> consecrated by St. Patrick.

I know where Kieran comes from, and it is a very good Irish name.
But, as my last name is Saxon, I do not use Irish names. I use
good solid Norman names (Richard, Robert, William)
And if I did, I have negative literary associations with Kieran
and wouldn't use it. Read Julian May, and you'll understand.
I prefer Patrick, Sean, Allan, etc.

> Denise
> ...mom to Patrick, Erin, Sean, and Kiera (does anyone see a pattern here?
> <G>)

I like your patterns! Gonna have a Dierdre? 8)

Angel planning an Elizabeth or a William

Darryl L. Pierce

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
On Tue, 01 Dec 1998 07:14:16 -0600, Angel Sparrow
<vala...@hotmail.com> wrote:

;Gareth and Gavin are good Anglo names, knights

;of the Round Table. And the last Gareth I knew was
;a very cool little guy (for a 2.)
;
;Better than Aethelrad or Cnute, which are good Saxon names.

Gareth is one name that I'd love to give a son. Also, good Irish names
like Cíarán (KEE-rawn), Fionn (fin), Liam (LEE-um), Rúaraí (ROO-ree),
Mícheál (MEE-hawl) and Donncha (DOHN-uh-hu).
Mise le meas,

| Darryl L. Pierce Alt.Atheism Member #1142, Death 'Piper of the BAAWA |
| Visit me @ http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Thinktank/1335/ |
| Unsolicited email to this address is acceptance of a $500 per day |
| storage expense to be paid within 30 days of the sending of the email. |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

Russell Bostock

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Angel Sparrow wrote:

> I like your patterns! Gonna have a Dierdre? 8)
>
> Angel planning an Elizabeth or a William

You mean a Deirdre!!! That old spelling issue again!

Deirdre (mother to Declan - another good Irish name!)

Leah Adezio

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Dec 1998 07:14:16 -0600, Angel Sparrow
> <vala...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> ;Gareth and Gavin are good Anglo names, knights
> ;of the Round Table. And the last Gareth I knew was
> ;a very cool little guy (for a 2.)
> ;
> ;Better than Aethelrad or Cnute, which are good Saxon names.
>
> Gareth is one name that I'd love to give a son.

I had my heart set on naming one of my sons Garth (pre-Brooks, btw),
which, IIRC, Gareth is a variant. It's Norse in origin, meaning 'from
the garden', though there is a secondary meaning, 'spear bearer' (Again,
IIRC...my sons are old enough that I haven't looked at a name your baby
book in ages <G>).

But put Garth next to Adezio, and you'll understand why we went with
Stephen and Daniel instead. :) (that, and DH *hated* the name...I don't
know why....)

Leah

Jennifer Hasenknopf

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98

> And you consider yourself a mature adult, Jennifer? You could
>have fooled me!

what a dumb question!!!!*S* I am a very educated woman, with an open
mind!!*S*

> I try to acknowledge all major religions, cultures, and
>ethnicities. That doesn't mean I rush forward to embrace them and
>the downright weird names some of them give to their kids.

And not everyone in North America are of Christian faith. So why would you
say they have "weird names"? Why should they conform to the "euro-centric"
"judeo-christian" style of names? The names might be different to people
born in North America, but perhaps they feel comfortable with the names they
choose for their children!!

Some
>Hindus are named Anal. Is that a name YOU'd like to have?

if you open your mind up a bit..you wouldn't be comparing a name like "Anal"
into your Judeo-Christian-centered mind, and you would not assume all North
Americans should fit into a Judeo-Christian "mold". For your informaiton,
the name "Anal" would be pronounced in a similar way that "Adele" would
be!*S*

Didn't I say
>Jesus loves EVEN the Canadians?

I frankly don't care what you said, and besides don't need your approval of
anything.

I happen to have a little more experience with
>these things than you do.

It's not the experience you have..it's the history of domination that you
have!

I've been telling parents what to name their
>children, and monitoring the results when they insist on refusing my
>advice, for twenty years. I know whereof I speak. You just want to
>attract attention to yourself and your family.

Who are you ? Dr. Spock? DO you have any credentials? the people that have
asked you for name advice are probably mostly religious followers who have
been somehow unfortunately brainwashed into believing that you have some
authority in these areas.
And of course, I am just such a self-centered person!!LOLL NOT!

"Vanity, vanity, ALL is
>vanity," saith the Preacher.
> I've never seen a frog yet who preached the Gospel. That has to
>be a new low.
> Every person is unique. Giving a child a unique name can cut him
>off from the rest of humanity. Proceed at your own risk.

Actually, a unique name ( which is very popular nowadays) is a good thing!!
It is nice for a child to have a unique name!! They are able to have their
own unique identity and be themselves! My name is Jennifer, and there were
always 5 or 6 Jennifers in my classes when I was a child...
My son has a beautiful name, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!!*S*

>Mother Hickey of Dallas
>A Real Human Being

>A Real Woman
>And God's Mouthpiece in These Dismal Last Days

who gave you this title?

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Sorry, Krista, you ignored my warning and jumped to conclusions.
Have fun scraping the doodoo off your nice new shoes.
My kids watched "The New Zoo Review" in 1974 or thereabouts and
not only noticed the spelling, but asked their Dear Mother what the
difference between a "revue" and a "review" was. I raised SMART
children. The paddle helped me immensely.
It's obvious that you don't care what I think. That's
unfortunate. I'm not preaching here for my own good: I'm preaching for
YOUR own good. Kids with funny names have problems. I'm trying to help
parents avoid problems. If you choose to ignore my advice, that's
entirely up to you. Just don't say I told you so when trouble comes home
to roost.
I didn't ask you to tell me whether you are a Christian. That's
ultimately between you and God. However, the name Krista is short for
Kristin, which means "Christian woman." It is not fitting for a Jew or a
Buddhist or a witch to have that name. It is appropriate only for
Christian women and girls. If you live a sinful lifestyle, moreover,
you're not setting a good example for others who might be considering
accepting Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. If you spend a lot of
yout time in liquor bars or live in sin with a man people will say, "That
Krista! She doesn't live up to her name, does she? I guess she's just
another hypocrite. I'm glad I don't pretend to be a Christian the way
she does." If on the other hand you dress modestly and go to Church every
week and do volunteer work and stay away from drunkards and fornicators, the
name Krista is a perfect name. People will say, "Will you look at that
Krista? Did you ever meet a nicer person? I think I'll join her Church
so I can be as close to the Lord as she is. What a blessing to humanity
she is!" Jesus will be pleased with you and He will shower blessings
upon you for honoring His Holy Name.
You can always change your name if you don't think it fits your
present situation. People in my Holy Church change their names all the
time, at my behest.
With my sign-off "Jesus Loves EVEN You," I am "insinuating"
nothing. I am proclaiming that Jesus loves EVERYONE regardless of status
in life. Even means "up to and including." Only a dirty-minded person
would think anything else about that. Do you feel guilty, Krista? Is
there something going on in your life that you feel ashamed of? If that
why you don't feel "worth of" -- "worthy of" sounds better -- Jesus'
Precious Love? If so, I have but one thing to say to you, and that is
this: "Jesus loves EVEN you, Krista, in spite of everything."
Doesn't that sound reassuring when you hear it in a different tone?
Why don't you take your little problems to the Lord in prayer right now,
whatever they are. He's ALWAYS willing to listen to you, no matter what
you've done.

Again, child, Jesus Loves EVEN You,

And All of You Sinners Out There,
Whoever You May Be!

Mother Hickey of Dallas
God's Mouthpiece in These Last Days

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Sybils grow up to be scatterbrained and forgetful.
Huxley is pompous and ostentatious. Abbey is strongly
discouraged -- the Beatles were all devil worshippers, you know -- but
Abby (short for "Abigail" is OK).
Lydia is fine. It's a Biblical name.
I had hippie neighbors once who actually named their daughter
Morticia.
Lots of Southern flotsam and jetsom name their sons Elvis. I'm not
sure a child would be given the name Lesbo, but I have heard of the name
Lesbia. Older women who come to hate men for some reason or other might
choose "Lesbo." It's forbidden.
Hailey sounds like someone waving her hand at taxis for the rest
of her life. True happiness will never come to such a woman.
And no, I'm not a nut. I am a Child of God and I speak His Truth!

Mother Hickey of Dallas
Jesus' Special Friend

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Those "Goth" trampires who wear black stockings to match their
black lipstick often name their illegitimate brats "Dracula."
Barnabas is a good Biblical name. Read the Book of Acts the next
time you have a free minute. It's far superior to all that Celtic misty
mishmash you've been reading. By the way, Dracula was a real person.
Esmeralda is too closely associated with witchcraft and
fecklessness, thanks to Alice Ghostley. Emerald is just plain trashy.
So is Jade. Opal is an undiscovered gemstone. Opals will be humble;
Emeralds will be vain and haughty.
Gareth and Gavin are both Welsh, not strictly Anglo.
Aethelred has become Eldred and is not bad, only a bit
old-fashioned. Cnute is better spelled as Knut and OK for Scandinavians.
Kevins have sexual problems.
Madalyn is the name of the head atheist, who tried to steal her
foundation's money and was murdered by them. Either Madeline or Madeleine
is OK.
Patricias and Patricks are hot-tempered. The names are also too
common. Use your imagination.
Abbey Lydia Huxley sounds like a fishwife who bangs dustbin lids
together outside your window. I pity any girl with that name.
Is Plato on the approved list? I've known a few decent Greeks with
it. They seem OK. Richard Lionheart isn't specifically on the list, I'm
sure. There were other Richards, just as there were other
Cleopatras besides the Great Whore of Egypt. Catherine means "pure."
Several saints predated the evil czarina.
Taurus is the name of a pagan god. Demetrius honors a goddess
but is OK. It has been lifted out of the filth of paganism.
Also, there are a lot of variant spellings for "Deirdre" in the
old literature. The most common seems to be "Deardriu." Avoid that name
like the plague.

Jesus Loves You ALL,

Mother Henrietta Hickey
God's Special Agent

Mother Henrietta Hickey

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
And you consider yourself a mature adult, Jennifer? You could
have fooled me!
I try to acknowledge all major religions, cultures, and
ethnicities. That doesn't mean I rush forward to embrace them and
the downright weird names some of them give to their kids. Some
Hindus are named Anal. Is that a name YOU'd like to have? Didn't I say
Jesus loves EVEN the Canadians? Well, He does. I didn't say certain
names were "correct" and others "incorrect." I said some were approved and
others forbidden by me in my Holy Church. You're free to draw up your own
list. But you can't tell me you have any real appreciation for parents who
would saddle their daughter with the deplorable monikker Gundaquill, or who
would turn the simple name Ryan (which is bad enough to begin with) into
a barbarism like Wryanne. I happen to have a little more experience with
these things than you do. I've been telling parents what to name their
children, and monitoring the results when they insist on refusing my
advice, for twenty years. I know whereof I speak. You just want to
attract attention to yourself and your family. "Vanity, vanity, ALL is
vanity," saith the Preacher.
I've never seen a frog yet who preached the Gospel. That has to
be a new low.
Every person is unique. Giving a child a unique name can cut him
off from the rest of humanity. Proceed at your own risk.

Mother Hickey of Dallas
A Real Human Being
A Real Woman

And God's Mouthpiece in These Dismal Last Days

Jeff Lynch

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
A paddle raises a children's intelligence. Does a whip make them geniuses?

Just curious..

Jeff

Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:

> God's Mouthpiece in These Last Days

Katrina Herren

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98

sheesh!! what the heck is this all about?

what does it matter what anyone names their kid...to you anyway mother hickey.
sheesh! my kids all have unusual names....i think they will be stronger for
it...and appreciate their unique names...if not...if when they hit jr. high or
high school they wish to change their name or go by something else...i'm fine
with that.

katrina
mom of Aesa 12-31-93, Ulrich 12-6-96, and Alyssa Brianna or Aurianna? (Truman,
after my dad, if it's a boy) 1-20-99

p.s. go, jennifer! go!

Jennifer Hasenknopf wrote:

> > And you consider yourself a mature adult, Jennifer? You could
> >have fooled me!
>

> what a dumb question!!!!*S* I am a very educated woman, with an open
> mind!!*S*
>

> > I try to acknowledge all major religions, cultures, and
> >ethnicities. That doesn't mean I rush forward to embrace them and
> >the downright weird names some of them give to their kids.
>

> And not everyone in North America are of Christian faith. So why would you
> say they have "weird names"? Why should they conform to the "euro-centric"
> "judeo-christian" style of names? The names might be different to people
> born in North America, but perhaps they feel comfortable with the names they
> choose for their children!!

etc.

Kim Lafond

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Mother Henrietta's grow up to be opinionated, self-important, self proclaimed
mouthpieces for Jesus.
Bleah, enough already

Kim, Mother of Korie Layne, a name which I think is just fine, thank you very
much
Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote:

--
| Kim Lafond | Gateway Systems Administration | Amdahl Corp.
| k...@amdahl.com | (408) 737-5504 |

Ooo-Eee-Ooo-Ah-Ah-Ting-Tang-Walla-Walla-Bing-Bang

loc...@webtv.net

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Mother Hickey of Dallas, kiss my ass! What a crock of bs!!!

Krista Claassen

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98

Mother Henrietta Hickey wrote in message <7451v9$s5c$1...@nnrp1.crl.com>...

> My kids watched "The New Zoo Review" in 1974 or thereabouts and
>not only noticed the spelling, but asked their Dear Mother what the
>difference between a "revue" and a "review" was. I raised SMART
>children.

Still, I was too young in 1974 to notice the difference. It has nothing to
do with how "smart" I am.

The paddle helped me immensely.
> It's obvious that you don't care what I think. That's
>unfortunate. I'm not preaching here for my own good: I'm preaching for
>YOUR own good.

I do care what you think. You are suggesting using a paddle on children. A
paddle can cause bruising - which can get you prosecuted for child abuse. I
believe it is wrong to hit other people, period. I am a pacifist - violence
is not ok in my household.

Kids with funny names have problems. I'm trying to help
>parents avoid problems.

Children with funny names do not have problems because of their names. Over
the last 15 years I have been working with children - many of whom had
different names than the traditional standard "Michael" and "Catherine."
The vast majority of these children have grown into successful adults. You,
simply, do not know what you are talking about. What are your credentials?
What makes you such an expert in this field?

If you choose to ignore my advice, that's
>entirely up to you. Just don't say I told you so when trouble comes home
>to roost.

Why do you think there will be trouble in my house? You have no idea what
I've named my children. My children have names that are important to us.
They are named after people we respect and admire --- their names have a
rich history that I will enjoy sharing with them when they are old enough to
understand.

> I didn't ask you to tell me whether you are a Christian. That's
>ultimately between you and God. However, the name Krista is short for
>Kristin, which means "Christian woman."

Not quite. The name "Krista" means "follower of the Lord." But,
technically, my name is a misspelling of "Christa" which means "follower of
Christ." It is also the feminine form of "Christ."

It is not fitting for a Jew or a
>Buddhist or a witch to have that name.

It is fitting for anyone to have that name. This may come as a shock to
you, but most people don't go around comparing peoples' personalities to the
meaning of their name. The vast majority of people don't know what their
name means (in my experience).

It is appropriate only for
>Christian women and girls. If you live a sinful lifestyle, moreover,
>you're not setting a good example for others who might be considering
>accepting Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. If you spend a lot of
>yout time in liquor bars or live in sin with a man people will say, "That
>Krista! She doesn't live up to her name, does she? I guess she's just
>another hypocrite. I'm glad I don't pretend to be a Christian the way
>she does." If on the other hand you dress modestly and go to Church every
>week and do volunteer work and stay away from drunkards and fornicators,
the
>name Krista is a perfect name. People will say, "Will you look at that
>Krista? Did you ever meet a nicer person? I think I'll join her Church
>so I can be as close to the Lord as she is. What a blessing to humanity
>she is!" Jesus will be pleased with you and He will shower blessings
>upon you for honoring His Holy Name.

It's getting pretty thick in here - anyone got a shovel?

> You can always change your name if you don't think it fits your
>present situation. People in my Holy Church change their names all the
>time, at my behest.

I respect my parents and their decisions. To change my name would be like a
slap in their faces. I don't believe in changing one's name because they've
decided to adopt a new religion -- it seems quite strange to me.

> With my sign-off "Jesus Loves EVEN You," I am "insinuating"
>nothing.

.... then don't capitalize the "even."

I am proclaiming that Jesus loves EVERYONE regardless of status
>in life. Even means "up to and including." Only a dirty-minded person
>would think anything else about that.

And why would a "dirty-minded" person read something else into it? You
capitalized the word "even" causing it to be stressed. Maybe you have the
dirty mind and are just having a hard time supressing it???

Do you feel guilty, Krista? Is
>there something going on in your life that you feel ashamed of?

Only the fact that I'm replying to your stupidity. I should really be
letting this thread die, but we're getting a huge laugh out of it at my
house.

If that
>why you don't feel "worth of" -- "worthy of" sounds better -- Jesus'
>Precious Love? If so, I have but one thing to say to you, and that is
>this: "Jesus loves EVEN you, Krista, in spite of everything."
> Doesn't that sound reassuring when you hear it in a different tone?
>Why don't you take your little problems to the Lord in prayer right now,
>whatever they are. He's ALWAYS willing to listen to you, no matter what
>you've done.

Wow, I made a typo. Shall I go confess to a priest?

So, did you found this religion your "church" is part of?

>Mother Hickey of Dallas
>God's Mouthpiece in These Last Days

Are you preaching about the end of the world too? Is there a comet going by
you'll be trying to catch a ride with?

Krista

Jennifer Hasenknopf

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Kendra
*laughing*

that was a good one!!LOL

Thanks!! Jennifer!
KL Ussery wrote in message <19981203224316...@ng-bw1.aol.com>...
>Hickey wrote;

>> Didn't I say
>>Jesus loves EVEN the Canadians? Well, He does.
>

>Hickey, Jesus loves EVEN you. Annoying, obnoxious, Vain and self righeous
>person that you are.
>
>Kendra
>--
>Proud to be "Outlandish"!
>http://members.aol.com/klussery (UPDATED)
>--
>"If a man speaks in the forest, & there isn't a woman around to hear him:
>Is he still wrong?"

KL Ussery

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Hickey wrote:

>Patricias and Patricks are hot-tempered. The names are also too
>common. Use your imagination.

Yeah everyone, use your imagination!!! Otherwise what would Hickey have to
complain and preach about?

>Patricks are hot-tempered

Sorry, Hickey. I know a couple of Patrick's who shoot down your theory.

Turtle

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Here here!
My kids are:

Sasha
Alek Xander
Atom

They are unique individuals. Its not what you're called, its whats in your
character.

KL Ussery

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Hickey wrote;

> Didn't I say
>Jesus loves EVEN the Canadians? Well, He does.

Hickey, Jesus loves EVEN you. Annoying, obnoxious, Vain and self righeous
person that you are.

Kendra

Paige Preston-Walker

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
KL Ussery wrote:

> Hickey wrote;
>
> > Didn't I say
> >Jesus loves EVEN the Canadians? Well, He does.
>
> Hickey, Jesus loves EVEN you. Annoying, obnoxious, Vain and self righeous
> person that you are.
>
> Kendra
Ohh... a hit! :) LOL! ROFLMAO!!

--
Paige
proud to be Outlandish
(to e-mail double the p and take out the "reston")

Chrystynna

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
Oh thats terribly Christian of you. Judge not lest ye be Judged. Remove the
beam from thy own eye before you attempt to remove the splinter from others.

Laura Holcomb--------- Old soul in a young body

Chrystynna

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
Oh what a good Christian you are. Judge not lest ye be judged, remove the beam
from thy own eye before you attempt to remove the splinters from others

Laura Christine.

{means crowned Christian} Which I am. But unlike some people not a self
righteous condemn all people sort as you.

Chrystynna

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
Actually "Abigail" is the name of a witch praised by the old satantic rocker
King Diamond. I used to attend a right wing holy rollar church and learned
many useful things about Rock bands. So it is not a "fine old Biblical name"
It has been perversed by odd ducks such as yourself.

Chrystynna

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
Please dont insult the rest of us by calling your self Jesus' special friend.
If you actually think that there is a place waiting for you at Western State
Mental Hospital here in WA.

erikc

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
On 27 Nov 1998 01:22:15 GMT

Mother Henrietta Hickey <penici...@hotmail.com> wrote:
-- origin: alt.parenting.solutions:

[===]

>| Ahab was the name of a wicked king, not a role model for today's
>|youth by a long shot. Athaliah was the name of a wicked queen, Jezebel's
>|daughter. Sennacherib was the name of a foreign king and enemy of Israel.
>| Ahasuerus was a Persian king. The Greek form Xerxes is easier to
>|pronounce and spell. I like the original Persian form myself: Khshayarsha.
>| Ish-bosheth and Mephibosheth were never given names. The
>|original forms included the ugly names of foreign gods, which the
>|Bible's editors changed to the Hebrew word "bosheth," which means "shame."

[===]

*You* are the one that said bible names were great. We take it to
mean *all* of them including Jesus and Jehova.

Erikc (alt.atheist #002) | "An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil."
| "The Truth against the World."
| -- Bardic Motto
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for
people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.
---- Noam Chomsky

erikc

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
On Fri, 27 Nov 1998 05:53:34 GMT
kaa...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
-- origin: alt.parenting.solutions:
>|I know I promised not to respond to Mother Hickey, but I don't think this
>|will count. Since she said if we are curious what she thinks of certain
>|names, just ask and she will tell us. Here are some names I would like to
>|hear about.
>|
>|Alyssa, Laura (evidently ok), Elena, Nicole, Elyse, & Brianne.

They are *all* wonderful and don't let any bogus preacher type tell
you any different.

erikc

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
On 28 Nov 1998 00:20:33 GMT

Mother Henrietta Hickey <penici...@hotmail.com> wrote:
-- origin: alt.parenting.solutions:
>| So many comedians are starving, and YOU come here.
>| No one in his or her right mind would name a child Lucifer or Belial.
>|Not every name in the Bible is recommended and I never said it was. I
>|said the Bible was your best source for names that appeal to the largest
>|number of people. We are all children of Adam, for instance, and
>|descendants of Noah. The Faithful of many religions owe their faith to
>|Abraham.
>| Lilith is not a name I particularly like. A lot of witches have
>|it. It's not totally forbidden for a woman with dark hair or skin. It
>|means "night child" and was once used to describe screech owls, a lot
>|like the Italian word "strega," which now means "witch." I have already
>|expressed my approval of Bathsheba.
>| You spelled Betelgeuse correctly, but it is no more Biblical than
>|Asmodeus (which has no z) or Beliathon. Betelgeuse is the name of a star
>|in the constellation Orion. Some say it means "house of the twins,"
>|others that it means "shoulder of the giant." The former is probably
>|more correct. Are you using the filthy Satanic Bible to find names?
>|Satanists' children usually rebel against their parents and become
>|Christians. You'll see.

Hey, *you* are the one that started this mess by suggesting biblical
names. Care to retract or qualify?

erikc

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98
On 27 Nov 1998 19:37:08 GMT

Mother Henrietta Hickey <penici...@hotmail.com> wrote:
-- origin: alt.parenting.solutions:

[junk > /dev/null]

>|Jesus Loves You,
>|
>|Mother Hickey of Dallas

And a "Hickey" is something teenaged lovers put on each other's necks.

It is loading more messages.