Anonymizing Proxy Server Question

root

Jan 22, 2012, 9:09:15 PM1/22/12
Take this picture:

LAN<->ROUTER<->MODEM<->[POSSIBLE-FIREWALL]<-> External-Destination

Suppose the LAN is, say, somewhere in China and
the desired External-Destination is disallowed
by the PRC.

A paper I have been reading suggests that it is
possible to insert a proxy server to the left
of the MODEM in the picture and, yet, have
the traffic to the External-Destination be
invisible to a firewall inserted by the PRC after
the MODEM.

If all traffic that leaves the MODEM has to go through
the PRC firewall then I can't see anyway it can
get to the destination. Moreover, I can't see
any way the attempt can be anonymized since the
MODEM identifies the sender.

I can see that a proxy inserted after the firewall
can work. That might be the case if that source
in China has friend/family in the US, for example,
who is willing to forward all traffic coming
from China.

Am I missing something?

Java Jive

Jan 22, 2012, 9:55:41 PM1/22/12
I haven't tried to use any of these for a while, but I presume that at
least most of them are still extant. Of course the authorities may be
blocking them as well ...

http://www.proxyindex.com/
http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html
http://www.the-cloak.com/login.html
http://www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 02:09:15 +0000 (UTC), root <NoE...@home.org>
wrote:

> Take this picture:
>
> LAN<->ROUTER<->MODEM<->[POSSIBLE-FIREWALL]<-> External-Destination

root

Jan 22, 2012, 10:10:37 PM1/22/12
Java Jive <ja...@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
> I haven't tried to use any of these for a while, but I presume that at
> least most of them are still extant. Of course the authorities may be
> blocking them as well ...
>
> http://www.proxyindex.com/
> http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html
> http://www.the-cloak.com/login.html
> http://www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/
>
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 02:09:15 +0000 (UTC), root <NoE...@home.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Take this picture:
>>
>> LAN<->ROUTER<->MODEM<->[POSSIBLE-FIREWALL]<-> External-Destination

There are quite a few:www.freeproxy.ru/en/free_proxy.htm

I am particularly interested in whether one can implement
a local proxy server. Some of the sites talk about
using their service to circumvent campus restrictions.
All that is clear.

Can a proxy server work *inside* an imposed firewall.

This site suggests that an anonymous server can
be set up locally:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxy

I know that tor itself and, by bouncing the traffic around,
anonymize the source.

J.O. Aho

Jan 23, 2012, 12:52:51 AM1/23/12
root wrote:

> I am particularly interested in whether one can implement
> a local proxy server. Some of the sites talk about
> using their service to circumvent campus restrictions.
> All that is clear.
>
> Can a proxy server work *inside* an imposed firewall.

Everything inside the firewall has the same restriction, you need to be able
to connect to something external which fetches the information for you and
relay it back to you.

> This site suggests that an anonymous server can
> be set up locally:
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxy
>
> I know that tor itself and, by bouncing the traffic around,
> anonymize the source.

Tor is your best shot if you don't want to go to an external proxy directly,
but tor has it's bad parts, for example other users can look at the traffic
that goes through their machine and can get your login/password to sites.

--

//Aho

Jasen Betts

Jan 23, 2012, 5:06:01 AM1/23/12
On 2012-01-23, root <NoE...@home.org> wrote:
> Take this picture:
>
> LAN<->ROUTER<->MODEM<->[POSSIBLE-FIREWALL]<-> External-Destination

[...]

> Am I missing something?

tor

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Jan 23, 2012, 5:21:42 AM1/23/12
On 2012-01-23, root <NoE...@home.org> wrote:

> Can a proxy server work *inside* an imposed firewall.

only if it routes traffic, preferably through an encrypted channel,
to (a) proxy server(s) outside the firewall.

> This site suggests that an anonymous server can
> be set up locally:
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxy

> I know that tor itself and, by bouncing the traffic around,
> anonymize the source.

that page seems to be all recipe and no cake.

I think the idea here is like my suggestion the proxy server routes
outbound traaffic into the encrypted tor notwork instead of sending it
raw out onto the intenet.

Jasen Betts

Jan 23, 2012, 5:33:48 AM1/23/12
On 2012-01-23, root <NoE...@home.org> wrote:

> Can a proxy server work *inside* an imposed firewall.

only if it routes traffic, preferably through an encrypted channel,
to (a) proxy server(s) outside the firewall.

> This site suggests that an anonymous server can
> be set up locally:
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxy

> I know that tor itself and, by bouncing the traffic around,
> anonymize the source.

that page seems to be all recipe and no cake.

I think the idea here the proxy server routes outbound traaffic into
the encrypted tor network instead of sending it raw out onto the
internet.

Richard Kettlewell

Jan 23, 2012, 6:11:14 AM1/23/12
root <NoE...@home.org> writes: