Seagate does not support linux

root

Mar 8, 2016, 5:02:45 PM3/8/16
Some linux computers cannot use the latest Seagate USB
external drives, notably 4TB and 5TB units.

I notified Seagate support and, in part, got this
response:

"Unfortunately, we do not test the drives in Linux systems and have no troub-
leshooting steps for any version of Linux. The Backup Plus is supported
on Mac OS X 10.7 and up, and Windows 7, 8, and 10.

Since the Linux USB module crashes when it is connected, that could indicate
the USB module may not fully support the latest version of USB 3 that the
Backup Plus uses."

At least this means that these USB drives are not backwards
compatible with older USB capabilities.

Big Al

Mar 8, 2016, 5:07:50 PM3/8/16
Portables (2.5") or desktop (3.5")? I just bought a 2TB portable
and it works but that's under your limitof course.
Kinda short sighted of them.

--
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64bit

Zookeeper

Mar 9, 2016, 9:59:22 AM3/9/16
Can or Does anyone make a USB RAID Controller? Or is this just an
off-the-wall idea?

root

Mar 9, 2016, 2:10:07 PM3/9/16
I notified the linux kernel group about the Seagate problem
and within an hour they provided me a patch for the
kernel module uas.c that fixes the problem.

No credit to Seagate.

Carlos E.R.

Mar 9, 2016, 3:35:09 PM3/9/16
On 2016-03-09 15:59, Zookeeper wrote:
> Can or Does anyone make a USB RAID Controller? Or is this just an
> off-the-wall idea?

In Linux, you can just do it with software raid.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

John Hasler

Mar 9, 2016, 3:51:05 PM3/9/16
Carlos writes:
> In Linux, you can just do it with software raid.

Which is really the only sensible way to do RAID anyway.
--
John Hasler
jha...@newsguy.com

999ni...@yourcomputer.999

Mar 9, 2016, 4:31:49 PM3/9/16
Very smart of Seagate. At least they are aware that Linux is known to
destroy hard drives, as well as flash drives, and other computer
hardware.

The quickest way to ruin or destoy any computer is to install Linux on
it!

Chris Ahlstrom

Mar 9, 2016, 4:36:56 PM3/9/16
999ni...@yourcomputer.999 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Very smart of Seagate. At least they are aware that Linux is known to
> destroy hard drives, as well as flash drives, and other computer
> hardware.
>
> The quickest way to ruin or destoy any computer is to install Linux on
> it!

Not true. Out of a dozen or so computer on which I've installed Linux, and
used it heavily, none have been destroyed by it.

On the contrary, some have been *rejuvenated* by Linux.

--
"Good afternoon, madam. How may I help you?"

"Good afternoon. I'd like a FrintArms HandCannon, please."

"A--? Oh, now, that's an awfully big gun for such a lovely lady. I
mean, not everybody thinks ladies should carry guns at all, though I
say they have a right to. But I think... I might... Let's have a look
down here. I might have just the thing for you. Yes, here we are!
Look at that, isn't it neat? Now that is a FrintArms product as well,
but it's what's called a laser -- a light-pistol some people call
them. Very small, as you see; fits easily into a pocket or bag; won't
spoil the line of a jacket; and you won't feel you're lugging half a
tonne of iron around with you. We do a range of matching accessories,
including -- if I may say so -- a rather saucy garter holster. Wish I
got to do the fitting for that! Ha -- just my little joke. And
there's *even*... here we are -- this special presentation pack: gun,
charged battery, charging unit, beautiful glider-hide shoulder holster
with adjustable fitting and contrast stitching, and a discount on your
next battery. Full instructions, of course, and a voucher for free
lessons at your local gun club or range. Or there's the *special*
presentation pack; it has all the other one's got but with *two*
charged batteries and a night-sight, too. Here, feel that -- don't
worry, it's a dummy battery -- isn't it neat? Feel how light it is?
Smooth, see? No bits to stick out and catch on your clothes, *and*
beautifully balanced. And of course the beauty of a laser is, there's
no recoil. Because it's shooting light, you see? Beautiful gun,
beautiful gun; my wife has one. Really. That's not a line, she
really has. Now, I can do you that one -- with a battery and a free
charge -- for ninety-five; or the presentation pack on a special
offer for one-nineteen; or this, the special presentation pack, for
one-forty-nine."

"I'll take the special."

"Sound choice, madam, *sound* choice. Now, do--?"

"And a HandCannon, with the eighty-mill silencer, five GP clips, three
six-five AP/wire-fl' echettes clips, two bipropellant HE clips, and a
Special Projectile Pack if you have one -- the one with the embedding
rounds, not the signalers. I assume the night-sight on this toy is
compatible?"

"Aah... yes, And how does madam wish to pay?"

She slapped her credit card on the counter. "Eventually."

-- Iain M. Banks, "Against a Dark Background"

Caver1

Mar 9, 2016, 5:00:31 PM3/9/16

Why bother answering 999ni...@yourcomputer.999.

--
Caver1

Chris Ahlstrom

Mar 9, 2016, 7:33:09 PM3/9/16
Caver1 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
It was a good excuse to say how much I love Linux. :-)

--
English literature's performing flea.
-- Sean O'Casey on P. G. Wodehouse

J.O. Aho

Mar 10, 2016, 12:00:38 AM3/10/16
On 03/09/2016 09:43 PM, John Hasler wrote:
> Carlos writes:
>> In Linux, you can just do it with software raid.
>
> Which is really the only sensible way to do RAID anyway.

If you want something more sophisticated, got for high end raid
hardware, but if you don't have the bucks, better go with Linux raid
than those cheap software raid based stuff you get with your average
motherboard.

--

//Aho

999ni...@yourcomputer.999

Mar 10, 2016, 4:31:18 AM3/10/16
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 16:33:30 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom
<OFee...@teleworm.us> wrote:

>999ni...@yourcomputer.999 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Very smart of Seagate. At least they are aware that Linux is known to
>> destroy hard drives, as well as flash drives, and other computer
>> hardware.
>>
>> The quickest way to ruin or destoy any computer is to install Linux on
>> it!
>
>Not true. Out of a dozen or so computer on which I've installed Linux, and
>used it heavily, none have been destroyed by it.
>
>On the contrary, some have been *rejuvenated* by Linux.

My lawyer has 3 hard drives and 4 flash drives in his possession. All of
them were destroyed by Linux. Those are the ones I gave him after they
were destroyed. He has since gotten several more drives from other
people who had linux ruin their drives too. After these drives are
inspected by experts, to determine how the damage occurred, a lawsuit
will be filed against certain (un-named) key persons responsible for
certain distros of Linux which are causing these drive failures. You'll
be seeing more about this in the news, in upcoming months.

Good luck with your computer, you need it as long as you keep using
Linux operating systems, created by amateur programmers in their
basements, with their only goal, to destroy other people's property.
Linux is nothing but a huge computer virus, but much worse than any
current computer Virus. Most viruses only destroy data and software, but
linux destroys entire computers and their hardware.

Peter Köhlmann

Mar 10, 2016, 4:51:13 AM3/10/16
999ni...@yourcomputer.999 wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 16:33:30 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom
> <OFee...@teleworm.us> wrote:
>
>>999ni...@yourcomputer.999 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects
>>royalties:
>>
>>> Very smart of Seagate. At least they are aware that Linux is known to
>>> destroy hard drives, as well as flash drives, and other computer
>>> hardware.
>>>
>>> The quickest way to ruin or destoy any computer is to install Linux on
>>> it!
>>
>>Not true. Out of a dozen or so computer on which I've installed Linux,
>>and used it heavily, none have been destroyed by it.
>>
>>On the contrary, some have been *rejuvenated* by Linux.
>
> My lawyer has 3 hard drives and 4 flash drives in his possession. All of
> them were destroyed by Linux.

Lying dimbulb

Chris Ahlstrom

Mar 10, 2016, 8:03:34 AM3/10/16
999ni...@yourcomputer.999 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

0.1 on the troll-o-meter.

Hint: Lie in more subtle ways for trolling success.

--
For courage mounteth with occasion.
-- William Shakespeare, "King John"

Pedro Valdez

Mar 12, 2016, 8:49:53 AM3/12/16
On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 5:31:18 PM UTC+8, 999ni...@yourcomputer.999

> My lawyer has 3 hard drives and 4 flash drives in his possession. All of
> them were destroyed by Linux. Those are the ones I gave him after they
> were destroyed. He has since gotten several more drives from other
> people who had linux ruin their drives too. After these drives are
> inspected by experts, to determine how the damage occurred, a lawsuit
> will be filed against certain (un-named) key persons responsible for
> certain distros of Linux which are causing these drive failures. You'll
> be seeing more about this in the news, in upcoming months.

Probably destroyed by your mummy when she came down the cellar and
caught you jerking off to shit-eating porn.