Freeware to download photos from Motorola RAZR V3 to Linux?

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 5:51:59 PM7/15/13
I have a mini-USB cable, but simply connecting a Motorola RAZR
to a Linux (Centos 6) PC to download stored pictures doesn't work,
at least not automatically.

Any idea what I need to do to get Centos to recognize that a
Motorola RAZR V3 is plugged in as a USB device?

(I don't have a data plan on this phone - I'm just trying to get
archived pictures off of it onto the computer.)

Peter Köhlmann

Jul 15, 2013, 6:04:40 PM7/15/13
Angel A. wrote:

> I have a mini-USB cable, but simply connecting a Motorola RAZR
> to a Linux (Centos 6) PC to download stored pictures doesn't work,
> at least not automatically.
>
> Any idea what I need to do to get Centos to recognize that a
> Motorola RAZR V3 is plugged in as a USB device?

I still have one of those, even if used rarely now.

And it is extremely, horribly complicated to access pictures from linux on
that phone: You have to plug it in with a USB cable, and thats it

The horrors!

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 7:52:40 PM7/15/13
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 00:04:40 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> And it is extremely, horribly complicated to access pictures from linux
> on that phone: You have to plug it in with a USB cable, and thats it

I tried both on Linux and on WinXP, and, in both cases, I plugged it
in with a USB cable and ... and ... and ... and ... nothing happened.

Pray tell - can you post a screenshot of what *you* see?

Because I see nothing.

Mark Warner

Jul 15, 2013, 7:57:32 PM7/15/13
You probably need MTP support -- "Media Transfer Protocol".

Can't help you with Centos specifically.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux

FromTheRafters

Jul 15, 2013, 8:36:43 PM7/15/13
Angel A. wrote :
In XP look in My Computer and see if it appears as a removable drive. I
don't have a phone, but my camera works that way.

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 8:40:47 PM7/15/13
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:57:32 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> You probably need MTP support -- "Media Transfer Protocol".
> Can't help you with Centos specifically.

It's important enough that I moved over to Windows XP where
I suspect it should be easier to find a working solution.

I found the Motorola RAZR V3 manual here:
https://www.motorola.com/moto_care/manuals/V3_VE_Series/V3_06_UG.pdf

So, if I have to, I'll find a WinXP PC with bluetooth to try that:
http://www.rickysays.com/how-do-I-transfer-pictures-from-razr-to-pc

But, for now, I've installed the Motorola Device Manager 2.3.9
on Windows XP from the Motorola web site:
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481

Unfortunately, after rebooting, and connecting the RAZR V3 via USB,
still, nothing happened.

Googling some more, I found this article:
http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-cellular-cingular/how-transfer-pictures-video-ringtones-motorola-razr-v3-14006.html

So I will try that method, and report back.

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 8:45:13 PM7/15/13
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 00:40:47 +0000, Angel A. wrote:

> Googling some more, I found this article:
> http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-cellular-cingular/how-transfer-pictures-video-ringtones-motorola-razr-v3-14006.html

So that the steps aren't lost, here is what that thread says.

http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-cellular-cingular/how-transfer-pictures-video-ringtones-motorola-razr-v3-14006.html

Is this the best way to transfer JPG pictures, MP4 videos, and MP3
ringtones back and forth between my new Motorola RAZR V3 cellphone and my
Windows XP computer?

After much googling, I came up with the following procedure which worked
for me (and which I'd like you to help us improve).

0. Obtain & install Motorola Phone Tools v4.3.6
http://direct.motorola.com/ens/MPT/MPT_FullSpecs.asp
1. Connect your Motorola phone via a standard USB cable
to the Windows XP computer (bluetooth would be better)
2. In MPT "Multimedia Tools", bring up the "File Transfer Studio"
to transfer pics & videos back & forth between the telephone
& the Windows XP computer
3. In MPT "Multimedia Tools", bring up the "Melody Studio"
to create, edit, & transfer ringtones & music back & forth
between the telephone and the PC
4. In "Multimedia Tools", bring up the "Video Studio"
to edit & transfer videos back & forth between the telephone
and the WinXP computer

Is this the best way to transfer your pictures, videos, and ringtones back
and forth between the Motorola RAZR V3 cell phone and the WinXP computer?

Or do you have a better way to transfer files back and forth?

One problem I had was that every audio ringtone I created by singing into
the microphone using Motorola Phone Tools had an audible annoying whine.

After googling for a while, I found out about the wondrous
alt.comp.freeware Audacity and Lame programs which instantly eliminated
that whine using the exact same equipment.

If you have a BETTER method of creating ringtones of your own singing
voice, then please post the better solution here!

CREATE YOUR OWN RINGTONE:
0. Install Audacity sound recording & editing freeware
http://audacity.sourceforge.net
1. Download & unpack Lame MPEG Audio Layer III (MP3) encoder freeware
http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~raa110/audacity/lame.html
2. Start Audacity & tell it to point to lame for MP3 encoding
Edit > Preferences > File Formats > 'Find Library'
After you select the LAME "lame_enc.dll" file you unpacked,
MP3 exporting will then be available.
3. Start a new project to create .mp3 ringtones by pressing
the RECORD & STOP buttons in Audacity.
4. In Audacity, "File > Export as MP3" or "File > Export as WAV"
to save your ringtone to the WinXP computer disk.

TRANSFER YOUR NEW RINGTONE TO YOUR MOTOROLA RAZR V3 CELLPHONE:
0. Obtain & install Motorola Phone Tools v4.3.6
http://direct.motorola.com/ens/MPT/MPT_FullSpecs.asp
1. Connect your Motorola phone via a standard USB cable
to the Windows XP computer (bluetooth would be better)
2. In MPT "Multimedia Tools", bring up the "File Transfer Studio"
to transfer pics & videos back & forth between the telephone
& the Windows XP computer
3. In MPT "Multimedia Tools", bring up the "Melody Studio"
to create, edit, & transfer ringtones & music back & forth
between the telephone and the PC
4. In "Multimedia Tools", bring up the "Video Studio"
to edit & transfer videos back & forth between the telephone
and the WinXP computer

Being brand new to the Motorola RAZR V3, I ask if there is a
better way to create, and transfer JPG pictures, MP4 videos,
and WAV/MP3 ringtones back and forth between the Motorola
RAZR V3 cell phone and the WinXP computer?

My first ringtones were distorted and almost blew the speakers so here's
what I found out that I WISHED I had known when I created my first set of
ringtones.

Hints on creating Motorola RAZR V3 ringtones.
- Create a 21 to 25 second WAV file using Audacity freeware on WinXP
- Don't go any higher than a sampling rate of 22.05 Khz
- Effect Fade In at about 2% and Effect Fade Out at around 19%
- Make sure you "Split Stereo Track" into a single track
- Then, close one of the two tracks
- Ctrl+A, Quick Mix,
- Increase volume with Ctrl+A, Effect, Equalize to +9 db at 1000 Hz
- Remove base with Ctrl+A, Effect, High Pass Filter, 150 Hz
- Compress to MP3 with RazorLame freeware
- Set constant bitrate by unchecking the variable bit rate (VBR)
- Set bitrate 32 kbps mono, set sampling rate to 22.05 kHz
- The final ringtone file size should be less than 120 kb on disk

Transfer the ringtone to your Motorola RAZR V3 using Motorola Phone Tools
or P2KTools.

According to NineToez at
http://www.ninetoez.net/moto/maketones.html
"The Vxxx series is incapable of telling the difference between
stereo or mono, but the purpose for splitting the track here
is for saving file size. You will need to make the single track
a mono track as well...The software will recognize a soliatary
track and mix to mono automatically"

However, the date of this otherwise excellent ringtone-creation tutorial is
Sept. 23, 2004 - so maybe the Motorola RAZR V3 made later can actually play
stereo ringtones. I don't know. If the Motorola RAZR V3 can't play stereo
ringtones, then we're wasting space giving it stereo if it can't handle it.

Does anyone know if the Motorola RAZR V3 can actually play stereo files?

Mark Warner

Jul 15, 2013, 8:49:25 PM7/15/13
On 07/15/2013 07:57 PM, Mark Warner wrote:
> On 07/15/2013 05:51 PM, Angel A. wrote:
>> I have a mini-USB cable, but simply connecting a Motorola RAZR to a
>> Linux (Centos 6) PC to download stored pictures doesn't work, at least
>> not automatically.
>>
>> Any idea what I need to do to get Centos to recognize that a Motorola
>> RAZR V3 is plugged in as a USB device?
>>
>> (I don't have a data plan on this phone - I'm just trying to get
>> archived pictures off of it onto the computer.)
>
> You probably need MTP support -- "Media Transfer Protocol".
>
> Can't help you with Centos specifically.

http://pkgs.org/download/mtpfs

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 8:50:12 PM7/15/13
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 00:45:13 +0000, Angel A. wrote:

>> http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-cellular-cingular/how-transfer-pictures-video-ringtones-motorola-razr-v3-14006.html
> So that the steps aren't lost, here is what that thread says.

I spoke too soon.
All those links were dead (except the first one).
So, I just found this:
http://motorola-mobile-phone-tools.en.lo4d.com/

It looks like a freeware version of MPT, so, I'll
try that out next & report back.

Message has been deleted

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 9:00:25 PM7/15/13
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:56:27 -0500, Guy wrote:

> CDMA or GSM?

GSM.

I've installed that Cnet MPT-look-alike motorola media link
downloaded from http://motorola-mobile-phone-tools.en.lo4d.com/
which seems to run the MML_Installer-v1.5.1915.0.exe

It wants me to restart, so, I'll report back in a few.

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 9:06:41 PM7/15/13
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:00:25 +0000, Angel A. wrote:

> I've installed that Cnet MPT-look-alike motorola media link
> downloaded from http://motorola-mobile-phone-tools.en.lo4d.com/
> which seems to run the MML_Installer-v1.5.1915.0.exe
>
> It wants me to restart, so, I'll report back in a few.

Well, that was a complicated installation.
It installed, updated, re-installed, repaired, downloaded (something),
installed again, and now I'm trying to run it after it patched itself.

http://i42.tinypic.com/e8uxz7.gif

Message has been deleted

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 9:10:33 PM7/15/13
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:00:25 +0000, Angel A. wrote:

> I've installed that Cnet MPT-look-alike motorola media link
> downloaded from http://motorola-mobile-phone-tools.en.lo4d.com/
> which seems to run the MML_Installer-v1.5.1915.0.exe
>
> It wants me to restart, so, I'll report back in a few.

Well, that was a waste of time.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2qs9h6r.gif

It appears the Motorola RAZR V3 isn't a supported device.

Sigh.

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 9:44:18 PM7/15/13
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 20:09:50 -0500, Guy wrote:

> Sorry can't help with GSM...
> no microSD card?

Did the Motorola RAZR V3 even have a slot for one?
(It was built before microSD even existed, I think.)

I've been trying bluetooth, on Linux (because my Windows PC
doesn't have bluetooth), but, on Centos, it's not working yet.
http://i44.tinypic.com/swu23q.png

It's not as intuitive, on Centos, as I would like.

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 9:46:50 PM7/15/13
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:57:32 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

> You probably need MTP support -- "Media Transfer Protocol".

You don't even want to *think* about how impossible it is
to get mtpfs working on Centos/RHEL6!

Just google. Don't get me started! :)

Hint: It's impossible.

Angel A.

Jul 15, 2013, 10:09:53 PM7/15/13
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 20:36:43 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:

> In XP look in My Computer and see if it appears as a removable drive. I
> don't have a phone, but my camera works that way.

I wish.

Message has been deleted

Peter Köhlmann

Jul 16, 2013, 3:34:00 AM7/16/13
Angel A. wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 00:04:40 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>> And it is extremely, horribly complicated to access pictures from linux
>> on that phone: You have to plug it in with a USB cable, and thats it
>
> I tried both on Linux and on WinXP, and, in both cases, I plugged it
> in with a USB cable and ... and ... and ... and ... nothing happened.

I don't care what happens in WinXP
I *know* however that simply plugging in the USB cable is enough to access
the device in linux. I did so when I actually used the phone day in and out,
years ago, and it is still that way now

> Pray tell - can you post a screenshot of what *you* see?

What good would that do?

> Because I see nothing.

Your problem

crankypuss

Jul 16, 2013, 5:52:20 AM7/16/13
On 07/15/2013 06:40 PM, Angel A. wrote:
> It's important enough that I moved over to Windows XP where
> I suspect it should be easier to find a working solution.

Good bye.

FromTheRafters

Jul 16, 2013, 6:07:37 AM7/16/13
Angel A. explained on 7/15/2013 :
Yeah, I suppose it couldn't be that easy.

Angel A.

Jul 16, 2013, 7:01:00 AM7/16/13
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 22:00:40 -0500, Guy wrote:

> Does the phone charge from USB cable in Windows?

Yes. In Windows it does charge from a USB cable to the PC
(although it won't charge from a wall outlet but there's
a Motorola-specific reason for that problem, due to four-vs-five
wire USB cables).

> If no, get the drivers... "Motorola Handset USB Driver".
Windows has no problem recognizing the phone when I plug
it into a new USB port (the software is installed, although,
from what I remember, it installs as a "USB modem" or something
like that - but there are no complaints from Windows when it installs
the drivers upon connection).

> Get "P2K Commander" and install.
Ah, this might be the trick. I will google & report back.

> Put phone into Modem/COM mode.
I think I saw Windows say it installed it as a USB modem.

Angel A.

Jul 16, 2013, 8:22:58 AM7/16/13
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 20:09:50 -0500, Guy wrote:

> no microSD card?

Nope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Razr#V3re

Angel A.

Jul 16, 2013, 8:58:02 AM7/16/13
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 09:34:00 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> I *know* however that simply plugging in the USB cable is enough to access
> the device in linux.

BTW, to at least focus on the right direction, which *direction*
should I focus on getting working?

Do I set:
A) Centos to be discoverable (by the phone?)
or
B) The phone to be discoverable (by Centos)?

And then, do I:
a) Push from the phone to Centos (using the phone file transfer GUI)?
or
b) Pull on Centos from the phone (using the Centos file transfer GUI)?

Peter Köhlmann

Jul 16, 2013, 1:21:46 PM7/16/13
Angel A. wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 09:34:00 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>> I *know* however that simply plugging in the USB cable is enough to
>> access the device in linux.
>
> BTW, to at least focus on the right direction, which *direction*
> should I focus on getting working?
>
> Do I set:
> A) Centos to be discoverable (by the phone?)
> or
> B) The phone to be discoverable (by Centos)?

Neither

> And then, do I:
> a) Push from the phone to Centos (using the phone file transfer GUI)?
> or
> b) Pull on Centos from the phone (using the Centos file transfer GUI)?

Angel A.

Jul 17, 2013, 7:48:53 PM7/17/13
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 19:21:46 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

>> Do I set:
>> A) Centos to be discoverable (by the phone?)
>> or
>> B) The phone to be discoverable (by Centos)?
>
> Neither
>
>> And then, do I:
>> a) Push from the phone to Centos (using the phone file transfer GUI)?
>> or
>> b) Pull on Centos from the phone (using the Centos file transfer GUI)?

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your help, but I'm gonna have to put you on killfile
because your answers are like those I get from calling customer
support at T-mobile.

Repeating the wrong answer, no matter how brief you make it,
doesn't make the answer correct.

Thanks anyway.

Peter Köhlmann

Jul 18, 2013, 2:17:37 AM7/18/13
Angel A. wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 19:21:46 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>>> Do I set:
>>> A) Centos to be discoverable (by the phone?)
>>> or
>>> B) The phone to be discoverable (by Centos)?
>>
>> Neither
>>
>>> And then, do I:
>>> a) Push from the phone to Centos (using the phone file transfer GUI)?
>>> or
>>> b) Pull on Centos from the phone (using the Centos file transfer GUI)?

> Hi Peter,
> Thanks for your help, but I'm gonna have to put you on killfile
> because your answers are like those I get from calling customer
> support at T-mobile.

Too bad that you don't appreciate being corrected

> Repeating the wrong answer, no matter how brief you make it,
> doesn't make the answer correct.

The answers were correct

> Thanks anyway.

Thad Floryan

Jul 21, 2013, 7:45:33 PM7/21/13
On 7/15/2013 4:57 PM, Mark Warner wrote:
> On 07/15/2013 05:51 PM, Angel A. wrote:
>> I have a mini-USB cable, but simply connecting a Motorola RAZR to a
>> Linux (Centos 6) PC to download stored pictures doesn't work, at least
>> not automatically.
>>
>> Any idea what I need to do to get Centos to recognize that a Motorola
>> RAZR V3 is plugged in as a USB device?
>>
>> (I don't have a data plan on this phone - I'm just trying to get
>> archived pictures off of it onto the computer.)
>
> You probably need MTP support -- "Media Transfer Protocol".
>
> Can't help you with Centos specifically.

FWIW, the latest Mint 15 "KDE" has MTP support per DistroWatch today:

http://distrowatch.com/7965

Clement Lefebvre has announced the release of the "KDE" edition of
Linux Mint 15: "The team is proud to announce the release of Linux
Mint 15 'Olivia' KDE. KDE is a vibrant, innovative, advanced, modern
looking and full-featured desktop environment. This edition features
all the improvements from the latest Linux Mint release on top of KDE
4.10. Here are a few examples of what is new in KDE 4.10: a new screen
locker makes Workspaces more secure; KWin now detects some virtual
machines and enables OpenGL compositing if possible; the proprietary
AMD driver now has OpenGL 2 support; printer setup, maintenance and
job control are improved with a new implementation of the Print
Manager; Dolphin has seen many bug fixes, improvements and new
features, e.g. transferring files to and from a phone or other mobile
device has become easier with support for MTP devices, which show up
in the Places panel."

Release announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2422

What's New: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_olivia_kde_whatsnew.php

Eddie Powalski

Jul 22, 2013, 6:04:47 PM7/22/13
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 16:45:33 -0700, Thad Floryan wrote:

> FWIW, the latest Mint 15 "KDE" has MTP support per DistroWatch today:

I don't disagree that Centos stinks when it comes to desktop
applications.

So I'm wondering if I should replace it with Mint, or, maybe
Debian or Ubuntu (except I don't like the spyware).

Maybe Debian then?

Kivi

Sep 9, 2013, 6:10:06 PM9/9/13
Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:04:47 +0000, Eddie Powalski kirjoitti:

> Maybe Debian then?

Debian is a good choice, but you'll have to do stuff to make it a real
consumer desktop with multimedia and stuff. And it tends to be rather
conservative (which means that you might have to play around to make the
MTP devices to do collaboration).

But on the other hand, Debian is rock stable, has a great community, and
lots of easy-to-understand documentation available, easy to manage, and
easy to keep up to date. But that's just my personal opinion.

-Kivi-

janice....@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2013, 2:19:29 PM9/22/13
On Monday, July 15, 2013 2:51:59 PM UTC-7, Angel A. wrote:
> I have a mini-USB cable, but simply connecting a Motorola RAZR
>
> to a Linux (Centos 6) PC to download stored pictures doesn't work,
>
> at least not automatically.
>

> Any idea what I need to do to get Centos to recognize that a
>
> Motorola RAZR V3 is plugged in as a USB device?
>

> (I don't have a data plan on this phone - I'm just trying to get
>
> archived pictures off of it onto the computer.)

I am looking for similar method (hopefully workable) to transfer pics from Razr v3 without incurring data charges. I'm running the latest Ubuntu LTS on pc and so far have not had any luck finding Motorola Phone Tools or workable P2K tool to work on it.

Found this thread today and wondering whether you managed to find a solution for your issues? Thanks.