Error in SuSE 9.1 installation: Cannot read package data

Vesa Tenhunen

May 21, 2004, 3:23:03 AM5/21/04
I just tried to install SuSE 9.1 Pro. The DVD booted up fine, YAST started
as it should, and I managed to select language and to start a new install
to completely replace my old SuSE 8.2.

On the screen where YAST showed the default selections, everything seemed
to be OK (hardware was detected correctly etc.), except the section
labeled "Software". Below it was only an error message:

Cannot read package data from installation media. Media error?
- ERROR: No proposal

I clicked on the title and tried to change selections, but true enough, no
software packages were available. After a few reboots and retries I cursed
Suse and my bad luck, and then started a CD install.

But the same problem and the same error message appeared there as well!
Now, what are the odds that both installation media are similarly faulty?
Quite small, I'd say. So I suspect there might be some other cause for
this error. But bugger me if I know what it is and how to correct it.

Does anybody have any suggestions how to fix this, or should I just send
the box back to Amazon and hope that they replace it with a working one?

Vesa

--
"A word to the wise ain't necessary, it is the stupid ones who need all
the advice."

Stefan P. Toran

May 21, 2004, 5:59:36 AM5/21/04
Vesa Tenhunen schrieb:
If You have an DVD/CD-Burner Combi Drive the installation via DVD won´t
work. Try an minimal install fron CD1 and then add the DVD support to
the INSTALL SOURCES and install the rest of the packages from the dvd.
There is an article in the SuSE Support Database about this issue.

So long,
Stefan

______________________________
German by birth,
Bavarian by the grace of god
______________________________

kalev-

May 21, 2004, 8:20:56 AM5/21/04
Vesa Tenhunen wrote:

> no software packages were available.

this should fix it:
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/11/fluttma_dvdinstall.html

jk
--
Suse Linux 9.1 | 2.6.4-54.5-smp | KDE 3.2.1

Synchrodude

May 21, 2004, 4:25:19 PM5/21/04
Vesa Tenhunen wrote:

I have gotten this error with 8.2, and 9.0 and it has always come up after I
have tried a different distro ie Fedora, Mandrake and FreeBSD. most of the
times your problem will be taken care of if you use your HD utilities disk
and delete the partition, but this last time after I tried fedora I had to
actually run a complete low level format on my HD. I was preparing my
system for 9.1 when I had encountered this so I didn't really mind if I had
to redo my whole system. The bad part of this is if you aren't going to use
the whole drive for Linux and you are dual booting you will have to
reinstall windows after you do this too so it is a very time consuming
thing to have to run through.
--
Synchrodude the Legend
You only have too much fuel if you are on fire!

Vesa Tenhunen

May 22, 2004, 2:48:08 PM5/22/04
On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:59:36 +0200, Stefan P. Toran wrote:

> If You have an DVD/CD-Burner Combi Drive the installation via DVD won´t
> work. Try an minimal install fron CD1 and then add the DVD support to the
> INSTALL SOURCES and install the rest of the packages from the dvd. There
> is an article in the SuSE Support Database about this issue.

Thanks. Although I don't have a combo drive, I tried a CD install with an
another drive and it worked. Weird thing. After reading the article
mentioned by kalev- I think it's even weirder that this issue was not
corrected after 9.0.

Anyway, SUSE 9.1 is now up and running. Looks good, even though there are
some minor issues (and one major) to be sorted out later.

Vesa

--
"If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I
am now."

LRD

May 25, 2004, 6:21:33 PM5/25/04
I get the same error when performing a HTTP network install...

Any ideas?

http://www.usenet.com

Dr. Vogeler

May 26, 2004, 5:44:23 AM5/26/04
Vesa Tenhunen <ve...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.05.22....@hotmail.com>...

> On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:59:36 +0200, Stefan P. Toran wrote:
>
> > If You have an DVD/CD-Burner Combi Drive the installation via DVD won´t
> > work. Try an minimal install fron CD1 and then add the DVD support to the
> > INSTALL SOURCES and install the rest of the packages from the dvd. There
> > is an article in the SuSE Support Database about this issue.
>
> Thanks. Although I don't have a combo drive, I tried a CD install with an
> another drive and it worked. Weird thing. After reading the article
> mentioned by kalev- I think it's even weirder that this issue was not
> corrected after 9.0.
>
> Anyway, SUSE 9.1 is now up and running. Looks good, even though there are
> some minor issues (and one major) to be sorted out later.
>
> Vesa

I had the same problem using a SCSI-DVD (Toshiba 1401) and a
sym53c8XX-Controller from TEKRAM. Probably there have been some
problems of handling real and emulated SCSI devices in SuSE 9.1
remained. My proposal for a workaround: copy the whole DVD to a
directory on HDD an install from that directory. It seems to work even
I am in doubt about the correct function of the SCSI DVD; SCSI HDDs
are working flawless.

Johannes

Marcel Wilks

Jun 6, 2004, 10:50:12 AM6/6/04
lcar...@rocketmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (LRD) wrote in message news:<40b3c...@Usenet.com>...

> I get the same error when performing a HTTP network install...
>
> Any ideas?

HTTP network install in your LAN?

Had the described problem while installing via NFS in my LAN. Fixed
the problem by putting the NFS-client's (computer to install SuSE on)
IP-adress, name and domain in the NFS-server's /etc/hosts.

Worth a try. Feedback would be nice.

Greetings,
Marcel

Suds

Jun 10, 2004, 1:03:02 PM6/10/04
Vesa Tenhunen <ve...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.05.21...@hotmail.com>...

> I just tried to install SuSE 9.1 Pro. The DVD booted up fine, YAST started
> as it should, and I managed to select language and to start a new install
> to completely replace my old SuSE 8.2.
>
> On the screen where YAST showed the default selections, everything seemed
> to be OK (hardware was detected correctly etc.), except the section
> labeled "Software". Below it was only an error message:
>
> Cannot read package data from installation media. Media error?
> - ERROR: No proposal

I've been getting a similar error while installing via FTP. And it is
really really weird. When I gave the absolute pathname for the FTP
directory (with a leading '/') then I was getting this error even
thought YaST looks to be reading other stuff like package list
etc..(loads about 50Mb data into ramdisk). When i gave a relative path
name as the FTP directory, everything seem to work..

Hope this helps someone.

cheers
suds.

Tweetie Pooh

Jun 16, 2004, 5:23:24 PM6/16/04
Vesa Tenhunen <ve...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I just tried to install SuSE 9.1 Pro. The DVD booted up fine, YAST
> started as it should, and I managed to select language and to start a
> new install to completely replace my old SuSE 8.2.
>
> On the screen where YAST showed the default selections, everything
> seemed to be OK (hardware was detected correctly etc.), except the
> section labeled "Software". Below it was only an error message:
>
> Cannot read package data from installation media. Media error?
> - ERROR: No proposal

I too have this problem on a basic CD rom drive.

a dd if=cdrom of=/dev/null was OK

Took to a shop (building a new pc for me) and tried on
one of theirs same problem.

DVD install on new PC fine.

tried a NFS install from new machine DVD and same failure.

Andrea

Jun 17, 2004, 11:46:03 AM6/17/04
Tweetie Pooh wrote:

I've solved booting from CD2 and making a "Manual installation"

Mike Manis

Jun 28, 2004, 10:39:31 PM6/28/04
I had the same issue trying to install the personal version of suse 9.1
I had downloaded the personal version for a test drive, but could
not get it installed for this very issue. I am searching for a solution.
I just ordered the 9.1 Pro, thinking that I would not have the issue
on factory supplied CD's.
If you find the solution, please left me know, I will likewise.

BTW I tried browsing and that did not work either. Include the idiot
version of instructions if you send a solution.

Thanks,

Mike Manis
Sunrise, FL.

baskitcaise

Jun 29, 2004, 4:23:59 AM6/29/04
Mike Manis adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
write:

> Vesa Tenhunen wrote:
>
>> I just tried to install SuSE 9.1 Pro. The DVD booted up fine, YAST
>> started as it should, and I managed to select language and to start a
>> new install to completely replace my old SuSE 8.2.
>>
>> On the screen where YAST showed the default selections, everything
>> seemed to be OK (hardware was detected correctly etc.), except the
>> section labeled "Software". Below it was only an error message:
>>
>> Cannot read package data from installation media. Media error?
>> - ERROR: No proposal
>>
>> I clicked on the title and tried to change selections, but true
>> enough, no software packages were available. After a few reboots and
>> retries I cursed Suse and my bad luck, and then started a CD install.
>>
>> But the same problem and the same error message appeared there as
>> well! Now, what are the odds that both installation media are
>> similarly faulty? Quite small, I'd say. So I suspect there might be
>> some other cause for this error. But bugger me if I know what it is
>> and how to correct it.
>>
>> Does anybody have any suggestions how to fix this, or should I just
>> send the box back to Amazon and hope that they replace it with a
>> working one?
>>
>> Vesa
>>

> I had the same issue trying to install the personal version of suse
> 9.1
> I had downloaded the personal version for a test drive, but could
> not get it installed for this very issue. I am searching for a
> solution.
> I just ordered the 9.1 Pro, thinking that I would not have the issue
> on factory supplied CD's.
> If you find the solution, please left me know, I will likewise.
>
> BTW I tried browsing and that did not work either. Include the idiot
> version of instructions if you send a solution.

This may not be your problem but might give you hints, are you using a
combo drive?

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/11/fluttma_dvdinstall.html

--
Mark
Iligitimi Non Carborundum!

Vesa Tenhunen

Jun 29, 2004, 4:10:45 PM6/29/04
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:39:31 -0400, Mike Manis wrote:

> If you find the solution, please left me know, I will likewise.
>
> BTW I tried browsing and that did not work either. Include the idiot
> version of instructions if you send a solution.

My solution was simply to use another CD drive - fortunately I have two of
them. As the DVD drive (some no-name OEM, BDV212B according to BIOS)
refused to cooperate, I popped the installation CD into the CD-RW drive
(LG CD-RW CDE-8120B), and that did the trick.

Incidentally, I tried to use the DVD disc as an installation source, but
YaST screwed something up: it showed every single package as installed.
Maybe there is a way to tweak it somehow, but I'm not really in the mood
for experimenting. So I'm a bit pissed that the DVD disc is a coaster, but
I'm happy that otherwise everything is working fine.

Vesa

P.S. As an afterthought: how about installing SuSE with parameters
"acpi=off noapic"? In my experience most of the problems with Linux
installations have been caused by ACPI. I guess it won't hurt to try it.

--
"I don't think God put me on this planet to judge others. I think he put
me on this planet to gather specimens and take them back to my home

Enric Martínez

Jul 3, 2004, 3:34:58 PM7/3/04