personal web pages

Frank

Jul 16, 2015, 1:19:09 PM7/16/15
Email from Xfinity:

"Whether you are actively using XFINITY Personal Web Pages or set one up
in the past, we want to let you know that we're going to make some
changes to this service. As of October 8, 2015, the Personal Web Page
(feature of XFINITY Internet) service will be discontinued.

By October 8, 2015, you should go into your personal web page and save
pictures and anything else that you may have put on your personal web
page onto your computer. Once the service is discontinued, you will no
longer have access to your web pages and your files will be deleted."

Is this for real? Does it mean I lose my Comcast sites?

Afraid to touch email as it could be spam with viruses.

Frank

NYMSHIFTING TR0LL

Jul 16, 2015, 3:02:25 PM7/16/15
On 07/16/2015 12:19 PM, Frank wrote:
> Email from Xfinity:
>

> Afraid to touch email as it could be spam with viruses.

I feel yer pain!
With all the nymshifting topicshifting sockpuppet trolls we got here, sometimes I'm afraid to read Usenet.

Frank

Jul 16, 2015, 3:11:54 PM7/16/15
Trolls don't bother me as much as catching a virus.

I've been googling this up and don't see any mention of it.

Barry Margolin

Jul 16, 2015, 3:36:49 PM7/16/15
In article <mo8ovk$ju2$1...@dont-email.me>, Frank <"frank "@comcast.net>
wrote:
4-5 years ago they posted in the Comcast Help Forum that they were going
to be phasing them out, so be glad that it's taken them this long to
actually lower the boom.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Nil

Jul 16, 2015, 3:39:48 PM7/16/15
On 16 Jul 2015, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote in
alt.online-service.comcast:

> 4-5 years ago they posted in the Comcast Help Forum that they were
> going to be phasing them out, so be glad that it's taken them this
> long to actually lower the boom.

I thought they were gone long, long ago.

I left Comcast for a few years and when I rejoined a couple of years
ago, the Personal Web Pages were no longer available to me as a "new"
subscriber. They were so tiny as to be useless anyway, so no big loss.

Barry Margolin

Jul 16, 2015, 3:46:45 PM7/16/15
In article <XnsA4D99F54...@wheedledeedle.moc>,
Yeah, the way they were phasing them out was by not allowing any new PWP
accounts, but all the existing pages were kept. But it was clear that
this was just the first step in discontinuing the service completely.

Frank

Jul 16, 2015, 3:55:04 PM7/16/15
It means something to me as I advertise consulting service.

My first dial up isp about 20 years ago gave space and I'd get a couple
of calls a week.

They went out of business so I transferred them to Comcast with little
calls there-after.

Set-up sites with 1&1 with no improvement so I cancelled them. Think I
was paying $6 or so a month for two domains.

May restart with 1&1 if Comcast screws me since old clients sometimes
re-look for me.

1&1 was OK but wonder who might be better/cheaper.

artie

Jul 16, 2015, 5:31:19 PM7/16/15
It's real. The only question is how much they're going to charge
everyone for discontinuing this service.

VanguardLH

Jul 16, 2015, 8:02:15 PM7/16/15
If true, they haven't yet updated this web page:

http://my.xfinity.com/pwp/whatschanging/

Alas, like many idiots writing an article completely ignore when they
wrote it, this article does not have a datestamp. Information is always
time sensitive so datestamping is critical; else, any info article
claiming to exude some "news" is nothing more than a useless dry turd or
worse since it can mislead the reader.

http://comcastenthusiast.blogspot.com/2008/02/comcast-personal-web-pages.html

then it looks like the Comcast PWP "news" page is 7 years out of date.

I can still login by going to:

https://publish.comcast.net/home/

but I get an error page saying I'm not authorized to view the page if I
use:

http://home.comcast.net/~<username>

where <username> is my account name (left token in e-mail address before
"@" character). I only used its disk quota to store some files although
I've since moved on to OneDrive, aDrive, and others with much larger
storage quotas. Although the files uploaded to my PWP account are all
public, links to them don't work (page could not be found) but that's
probably because I can't even use a link to my PWP home page
(unauthorized access). Happily I do not trust cloud storage for sole
permanent retention of my files. They're just copies up there.

I did find this web page giving notice of the death of the PWP service:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/use-widgets-on-personal-web-pages/
https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/customize-your-website-or-personal-web-page/

Seems to be a banner they added to many of their PWP help pages.

Frank

Jul 16, 2015, 8:20:28 PM7/16/15
Confusing. Just guess it is wait and see for now. I'll just leave
everything up as I do have it all on my computer and can transfer
elsewhere if I have to.

Joy Beeson

Jul 16, 2015, 9:42:18 PM7/16/15
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:20:26 -0400, Frank <"frank "@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Confusing. Just guess it is wait and see for now. I'll just leave
> everything up as I do have it all on my computer and can transfer
> elsewhere if I have to.

They have been making it obvious that they want out of the web-page
business for a long time. Luckily, all my sites are duplicated on
another service -- so all I have to do is to update umpty-bump files
with "Change your bookmark" notices.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Frank

Jul 17, 2015, 7:41:16 AM7/17/15
On 7/16/2015 8:41 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:20:26 -0400, Frank <"frank "@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Confusing. Just guess it is wait and see for now. I'll just leave
>> everything up as I do have it all on my computer and can transfer
>> elsewhere if I have to.
>
> They have been making it obvious that they want out of the web-page
> business for a long time. Luckily, all my sites are duplicated on
> another service -- so all I have to do is to update umpty-bump files
> with "Change your bookmark" notices.

Considering other service, who is recommended.
I had used 1&1.

Bob

Jul 17, 2015, 9:32:48 AM7/17/15
FWIW, NetCraft provides reliability reports of the major hosts.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/reports/Hosters

Henry

Jul 17, 2015, 10:06:43 AM7/17/15
Joy Beeson wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:20:26 -0400, Frank <"frank "@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Confusing. Just guess it is wait and see for now. I'll just leave
>>everything up as I do have it all on my computer and can transfer
>>elsewhere if I have to.
>

> They have been making it obvious that they want out of the web-page
> business for a long time. Luckily, all my sites are duplicated on
> another service -- so all I have to do is to update umpty-bump files
> with "Change your bookmark" notices.

If Comcast stops the web-page, what free services are available?
What are others doing?

Henry

HankG

Jul 17, 2015, 10:38:02 AM7/17/15

"Henry" <hsk...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Still offer free Norton Security

another Henry

Allodoxaphobia

Jul 17, 2015, 1:02:58 PM7/17/15
Yup! It does.

I like the way they say they're going " to make some changes ..." ,
and followup by say the "change" means they're going to blow away
your personal web pages. So tactful they are. :-\

Recommended: The Super Simple Plan for web hosting at K&T Host:

https://www.knthost.com/website-hosting

Scroll down to see what you get with _all_ their web hosting plans.
WAY MORE than you ever had with Comcast.

Full disclosure: I am not an employee or agent of K&T Host.
But, I have been a customer for email, VPS, and web services with
those folks since something like 1999 (-- so long ago that I
dis-remember when.) As a web master I have a half-dozen clients
web-hosted there, too. Highly recommend for quality, service,
responsiveness, and whatever-else-you-desire-from-a-web-host.

HTH,
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ | http://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __

Frank

Jul 17, 2015, 3:02:58 PM7/17/15
Kinda advice I'm looking for but this one does not mention getting domain.

Think I'll just wait until Comcast site goes down. Who knows, if they
get a lot of flak about it they may stay up.

Of course we all know that Comcast will nickle and dime you to death.

Allodoxaphobia

Jul 17, 2015, 3:40:47 PM7/17/15
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:02:54 -0400, Frank wrote:
> On 7/17/2015 1:02 PM, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
>>
>> Recommended: The Super Simple Plan for web hosting at K&T Host:
>>
>> https://www.knthost.com/website-hosting
>>
>> Scroll down to see what you get with _all_ their web hosting plans.
>> WAY MORE than you ever had with Comcast.
>>
>> Full disclosure: I am not an employee or agent of K&T Host.
>> But, I have been a customer for email, VPS, and web services with
>> those folks since something like 1999 (-- so long ago that I
>> dis-remember when.) As a web master I have a half-dozen clients
>> web-hosted there, too. Highly recommend for quality, service,
>> responsiveness, and whatever-else-you-desire-from-a-web-host.
>
> Kinda advice I'm looking for but this one does not mention getting
> domain.

Ahhh! Yes! I thought of that shortly after posting.
The folk at K&T Host -- as well as many seasoned folk found on the
likes of www.webmasterworld.com -- recommend you register your
domain _away_ from your web hosting. I have heard far too many
horror stories of nasty Web+Hosts+Domain+Registrars holding the
domain hostage when a customer decides - for any reason - to move their
web stie.

namecheap.com (ya, granted a tacky name) is where I register my
domains. Recommended, as well.

HTH
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | OS/2

Frank

Jul 17, 2015, 6:40:26 PM7/17/15
See it is $10/yr. I don't recall what 1&1 charged me and unfortunately
got rid of all correspondence. Recall, as with other recurring internet
charges, tougher to cancel. I had sent them email but they wanted a
fax. Also did it just before credit card expiration date to assure no
continuing charge.

Cost saving probably not as important as convenience, trouble going
through relearning curve.

Just going to wait and see. I am at the age of thinking of just
stopping any work on the side.

Also expenses to do business are tax deductible.

Bob (not my real pseudonym)

Jul 18, 2015, 6:16:57 AM7/18/15
On 17 Jul 2015 17:02:57 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
<knock_you...@example.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 13:19:05 -0400, Frank wrote:
>> Email from Xfinity:
>>
>> "Whether you are actively using XFINITY Personal Web Pages or set one up
>> in the past, we want to let you know that we're going to make some
>> changes to this service. As of October 8, 2015, the Personal Web Page
>> (feature of XFINITY Internet) service will be discontinued.
>>
>> By October 8, 2015, you should go into your personal web page and save
>> pictures and anything else that you may have put on your personal web
>> page onto your computer. Once the service is discontinued, you will no
>> longer have access to your web pages and your files will be deleted."
>>
>> Is this for real? Does it mean I lose my Comcast sites?
>
> Yup! It does.
>
>I like the way they say they're going " to make some changes ..." ,
>and followup by say the "change" means they're going to blow away
>your personal web pages. So tactful they are. :-\

"Your web space is retiring to pursue other interests."

daytripper

Jul 28, 2015, 8:39:01 PM7/28/15
I escaped the evil clutches of Comcast for FiOS a few years ago but my Comcast
PWP are still sitting there in all their glory.

I've actually been thinking of asking them to take them down but I can just
imagine working that through Comcast "tech support " <snicker> as a
non-customer.

I host the same pages from a mere RPi2 here now. With 100Mb symmetric I doubt
Verizon even notices...

Cheers!

Moderator

Jul 29, 2015, 5:18:32 AM7/29/15
On 07/28/2015 07:38 PM, daytripper wrote:
> I host the same pages from a mere RPi2 here now. With 100Mb symmetric I doubt
> Verizon even notices...

Have a http/ftp server on Comcast residential (really low traffic) and have never had a problem.

Today, I suspect most people have given up on self-hosting and just find it easier to use FecesBook and/or Google Drive.

--
This emessage has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. http://www.avast.com

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 29, 2015, 8:35:36 AM7/29/15
Moderator <mode...@alt.online-service.comcast> wrote:
>On 07/28/2015 07:38 PM, daytripper wrote:

>>I host the same pages from a mere RPi2 here now. With 100Mb symmetric I doubt
>>Verizon even notices...

>Have a http/ftp server on Comcast residential (really low traffic) and
>have never had a problem.

Gee, I thought operating a server was against TOS without paying for business
class service.

Jeff Wisnia

Jul 29, 2015, 1:24:12 PM7/29/15
Thanks for that tip Jonesy.

I hope moving there will be as simple as using FTP to move files and
folders there and then advising others of the new web addresses.

73s,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Moderator

Jul 29, 2015, 4:16:09 PM7/29/15
Cunnilingus is illegal in some jurisdictions too. What's your point?

VanguardLH

Jul 29, 2015, 4:36:22 PM7/29/15
Moderator wrote:

> On 07/29/2015 07:35 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> Moderator <mode...@alt.online-service.comcast> wrote:

>>> Have a http/ftp server on Comcast residential (really low traffic) and
>>> have never had a problem.
>>
>> Gee, I thought operating a server was against TOS without paying for business
>> class service.
>>

> Cunnilingus is illegal in some jurisdictions too. What's your point?

He made his point. You're a troll with a nym showing illusions of
grandeur.

God

Jul 30, 2015, 4:04:05 AM7/30/15
Really?

Jeff Wisnia

Sep 17, 2015, 8:08:14 PM9/17/15
Yes, K&T is where I moved all the stuff I had on Comcast's PWP space.

It's worked fine for me for the past month or so.

73s,
--
Jeff

Jeff Wisnia

Sep 17, 2015, 8:11:17 PM9/17/15
Bill wrote:
> If you register a domain, you can move to any host and no one would know the
> difference. DNS will get them there.

Yep, that's what I did. I already had a domain name registered through
Network Solutions and just told them to move the redirect from Comcast
to K&T.

73s,

--
Jeff