can a Technicolor TC8305C be pre-configured?

R. Lynn Rardin

Jun 5, 2015, 9:22:46 AM6/5/15
Anyone know if it's possible to configure a Comcast-provided Technicolor
TC8305C cable gateway's router before the device is connected to the
coax and registered with Comcast? A friend received a TC8305C for use
in his vacation home and was looking for help configuring wireless
security, etc., before he carries the device to his vacation home for
installation.

--

R. Lynn Rardin

Moderator

Jun 6, 2015, 9:29:17 AM6/6/15
Generally when someone leases equipment, they are at the mercy of the lessor.
If someone wants control of their wireless access point/router configuration, they should purchase their own equipment.

A good choice for a modem would be:
http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6183-DOCSIS/dp/B00MA5U1FW

A nice router/wap:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AC87U-Wireless-AC2400-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00MPI5N7U

--
This emessage has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. http://www.avast.com

Jayw654

Jun 8, 2015, 7:40:26 PM6/8/15
Go to 10.0.0.1 in the address bar of a browser. Once you see the login
page the Username and password are the following

Username: admin
Passowrd: password

R. Lynn Rardin

Jun 11, 2015, 4:11:28 PM6/11/15
In article <iaKdneI0pp0xaO_I...@giganews.com>,
Moderator <mode...@alt.online-service.comcast> wrote:
> On 06/05/2015 09:22 AM, R. Lynn Rardin wrote:
> > Anyone know if it's possible to configure a Comcast-provided Technicolor
> > TC8305C cable gateway's router before the device is connected to the
> > coax and registered with Comcast? A friend received a TC8305C for use
> > in his vacation home and was looking for help configuring wireless
> > security, etc., before he carries the device to his vacation home for
> > installation.
>
> Generally when someone leases equipment, they are at the mercy of the lessor.
> If someone wants control of their wireless access point/router configuration,
> they should purchase their own equipment...

I catch your drift and favor owning over leasing myself, but I'm not the
customer in this case and it's not a simple modem/router setup. He
needs a gateway with EMTA functionality for voice. We're looking to
make simple changes on the gateway's router like modify the SSID(s).
Nothing crazy.

--

R. Lynn Rardin

R. Lynn Rardin

Jun 11, 2015, 4:24:59 PM6/11/15
In article <so9cna13lesehpvfj...@4ax.com>,
In the end, Comcast shipped my friend a Cisco XB3 Model DPC3939 rather
than a TC8305C. Given that the Cisco gateway includes a dual-band
concurrent WAP, I guess this is probably a good thing. Anyone have
experience with both the TC8305C and DPC3939?

I connected a PC to one of the DPC3939's LAN ports and was hopeful when
I saw activity on the PC NIC's LED after powering up the gateway. The
activity LEDs on both ends went dark after a few minutes, however. I
tried configuring the PC's NIC for both DHCP and a fixed IP in the
router's default IP block. I was unable to connect to http://10.0.0.1/
while link existed, so I guess the DPC3939 probably doesn't allow any
configuration of the router before the device is connected to the
Comcast coax. It was worth a shot.

--

R. Lynn Rardin

RickMerrill

Jun 13, 2015, 12:23:55 AM6/13/15
On 6/11/2015 4:24 PM, R. Lynn Rardin wrote:
> I connected a PC to one of the DPC3939's LAN ports and was hopeful when

In most configurations it is a security feature that you have to connect
to a specific port, usually port-1.

Bill

Jun 13, 2015, 9:27:18 AM6/13/15
I've never heard of that. How common is it?

--
Bill

Barry Margolin

Jun 13, 2015, 10:25:41 AM6/13/15
In article <qsbonahqn891aphda...@4ax.com>,
Me, either. The usual restriction is that you have to connect from one
of the LAN ports -- administration from the Internet or WiFi needs to be
enabled specifically.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Jayw654

Jun 15, 2015, 4:30:12 AM6/15/15
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 16:24:55 -0400, "R. Lynn Rardin"
The cisco is FAR better than the Technicolor, Technicolors are
problematic. Cisco are the best the Comcast offers right now. However
the 3941T is better than the 3939 but that doesn't mean the 3939 isn't
good its just the 3941T is better. Both have stronger wireless then
any of the other models currently provided by Comcast.

R. Lynn Rardin

Jun 15, 2015, 12:14:31 PM6/15/15
In article <barmar-94FBFE....@88-209-239-213.giganet.hu>,
Right. For what it's worth, I was connected to port 1. I had no
problem getting to the DPC3939's web interface once the device connected
to the Comcast coax.

--

R. Lynn Rardin

R. Lynn Rardin

Jun 15, 2015, 12:16:26 PM6/15/15
In article <e13tna54c1kf0537n...@4ax.com>,
I had a feeling the DPC3939 was likely the better product. Nice to have
confirmation. Thanks.

--

R. Lynn Rardin

tech...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2015, 9:37:40 AM6/26/15
If you can see the wireless on the sticker [HOME-XXXX], connect to the device on that SSID using the given password or by ethernet, then in a browser type http://10.0.0.1, and then login with

admin
password

From there connections, wifi, edit, name at top password near bottom don't forget save, it will kick you off so do not wait for the page to refresh unless you connected by ethernet.

If the SSID never shows up then no the device must be online. It does not have to be provisioned, it just has to have signal so that the US/DS light and ONLINE light are both solid. Note, if the US/DS light blinks and the ONLINE light is solid it is doing a firmware update and that takes 10-15 minutes, go make a sandwich or something. You can usually edit the wifi at this time however, but I have 5 different gateways I install everyday so can;t recall which ones are picky about when the wifi can be done. Just be fast becasue if it reboots you get to do it all over again. :o