David Bowie postscript

J.D. Baldwin

Jan 25, 2016, 12:36:21 PM1/25/16

The Economist wrote an interesting appreciation:

http://www.economist.com/news/obituary/21688380-david-bowie-musician-actor-and-icon-died-january-10th-aged-69-starman-jones

But even more interesting is this letter they published in response:

http://www.economist.com/news/letters/21688839-letters-editor

A musical child

I was grateful for the insight and sensitivity in your obituary of
David Bowie (January 16th). But it is not true that he "grew up as
David Jones, a sharp-toothed kid from dull suburban Bromley whose
parents held no aspirations for him". David's parents, especially his
father, "John" Jones, encouraged him from the time he was a
toddler. His mother, Peggy, spoke often of our deceased grandfather,
who was a bandmaster in the army and played many wind
instruments. David's first instruments, a plastic saxophone, a tin
guitar and a xylophone, were given to him before he was an
adolescent. He also owned a record player when few children had one.

When he was 11 we danced like possessed elves to the records of Bill
Haley, Fats Domino and Elvis Presley. David's father took him to meet
singers and other performers preparing for the Royal Variety
Performance. I remember one afternoon in the late 1950s when David was
introduced to Dave King, Alma Cogan and Tommy Steele. "My son is going
to be an entertainer, too" he said. "Aren't you, David?" "Yes, Daddy,"
David squeaked in his childish high-pitched voice, his face flushed
and beaming with pride.

Although Uncle John never lived to see David's huge success, he was
convinced it would become a reality. My beloved David fulfilled and
exceeded all his father's dreams.

KRISTINA AMADEUS
Cousin of David Bowie
Romney Marsh, Kent
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

cathyc...@aol.com

Jan 25, 2016, 1:39:12 PM1/25/16
That's a great letter to the editor

Anglo Saxon

Jan 25, 2016, 9:36:49 PM1/25/16
Terry del Fuego wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 17:36:19 +0000 (UTC),
> INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:
>
>>The Economist wrote an interesting appreciation:
>>
>>http://www.economist.com/news/obituary/21688380-david-bowie-musician-act
or-and-icon-died-january-10th-aged-69-starman-jones

> Indeed they did, thank you.
>
> The fact that he's gone is weirder than anything he ever did. It's
> just...wrong.

I feel exactly the same way. And yes, thanks for Economist obit, J.D.