One of my favorite Johnny Carson Videos

Matthew Kruk

May 23, 2012, 4:07:34 AM5/23/12
Johnny, George Gobel, Dean Martin and Bob Hope. Miss them all - comedy at it's
best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wxHqWVm60k&feature=email

Michael OConnor

May 23, 2012, 5:28:16 AM5/23/12
They just don't make them like that anymore. Dino had impeccable
comic timing with the cigarette and Gobel's cup. George Gobel was one
of those comics who is pretty much forgotten these days,
unfortunately, and that's a shame because he was one of the funniest
men I've ever seen.

I think the Ed Ames hatchet toss remains the longest sustained laugh
in TV history. What made Carson brilliant is that he saw where the
hatchet landed, then turned away, and he held his composure by not
looking at it again, letting the audience get their laughs in before
he finally gave his response, "I didn't know you were Jewish."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGeN0QkZmmY
Message has been deleted

R H Draney

May 24, 2012, 2:51:29 AM5/24/12
Michael OConnor filted:

>On May 23, 4:07=A0am, "Matthew Kruk" <nob...@home.com> wrote:
>> Johnny, George Gobel, Dean Martin and Bob Hope. Miss them all - comedy at=
> it's
>> best.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D9wxHqWVm60k&feature=3Demail
>
>They just don't make them like that anymore. Dino had impeccable
>comic timing with the cigarette and Gobel's cup. George Gobel was one
>of those comics who is pretty much forgotten these days,
>unfortunately, and that's a shame because he was one of the funniest
>men I've ever seen.
>
>I think the Ed Ames hatchet toss remains the longest sustained laugh
>in TV history. What made Carson brilliant is that he saw where the
>hatchet landed, then turned away, and he held his composure by not
>looking at it again, letting the audience get their laughs in before
>he finally gave his response, "I didn't know you were Jewish."
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPGeN0QkZmmY

Saw that, and the Jack Webb "Claude Cooper and his copper clappers" bit, on
anniversary shows but they happened way before my time...one classic that I
*did* see on first airing was the two-parter where guest host Don Rickles broke
Johnny's cigarette box and Johnny discovered it the following night...the
expressions on both men's faces at the definitive moment on their respective
shows were priceless....

I watched every episode of "CPO Sharkey" after that very closely to see if I
could spot the scene that Carson interrupted taping, but I could never match it
up....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Gemini Jackson

May 24, 2012, 9:01:23 AM5/24/12
On Wed, 23 May 2012 23:39:54 -0700, poisoned rose
<pro...@poisonedrose.com> wrote:

>Michael OConnor <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the Ed Ames hatchet toss remains the longest sustained laugh
>> in TV history
>
>I always heard the longest laugh was that "I Love Lucy" episode where
>Lucy is dancing with Desi with a shirt full of eggs and finally slams
>into him.

I think these are all a tie with Burnett's GWTW curtain skit. Though
I'd imagine this would be an easy one to resolve.

I think my personal longest laugh that I can recall is the 'ah, the
pretty-girl-that-puts-out-theory' on a Drew Carey episode when
what's-her-name said she never went wo a date in high school.
-gj

so

May 24, 2012, 9:00:37 AM5/24/12
> Yeah, right.- Hide quoted text -

That was set up.
Message has been deleted

R H Draney

May 24, 2012, 5:16:29 PM5/24/12
so filted:

>On May 23, 11:51=A0pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>>
>> Saw that, and the Jack Webb "Claude Cooper and his copper clappers" bit, =
>on
>> anniversary shows but they happened way before my time...one classic that=
>> *did* see on first airing was the two-parter where guest host Don Rickles=
> broke
>> Johnny's cigarette box and Johnny discovered it the following night...the
>> expressions on both men's faces at the definitive moment on their respect=
>ive
>> shows were priceless....
>>
>> I watched every episode of "CPO Sharkey" after that very closely to see i=
>f I
>> could spot the scene that Carson interrupted taping, but I could never ma=
>tch it
>> up....r
>
>That was set up.

Wuz you dere, Charlie?...

Rickles' look of horror when he broke the box on Monday night was genuine, and
he broke out in even more sweat than usual as Ed McMahon calmly explained how
much Johnny treasured that box that was a gift, etc, etc....

On Tuesday night, after finishing the monologue and sitting down at his desk,
Johnny reached for a smoke as he always did and froze in place when the lid came
off in his hand...(those of us who had been watching when it happened
anticipated the reaction and cringed)...Ed, as an eyewitness, told him that Don
had accidentally broken it the night before...it was well known that by this
time Carson usually didn't bother watching the show on the nights a guest host
was on, and had not seen the box get broken....

Now, in another reality, we would have expected Johnny to send a stern letter to
Rickles and demand that it be put right, and Don would agree to pay to have the
box either repaired or replaced, and humble himself in the eyes of all...cut
from the actual proceedings when it was replayed was the long delay as Carson
demanded to be allowed into the "Sharkey" soundstage while the red light was on,
but even NBC had to relent...once he saw how genuinely sorry and terrified
Rickles was, *that's* when it turned into a bit, with Johnny riffing on the
other actors in Don's signature style ("Hey, a black guy!")....r

R H Draney

May 24, 2012, 5:25:23 PM5/24/12
poisoned rose filted:

>> >I always heard the longest laugh was that "I Love Lucy" episode where
>> >Lucy is dancing with Desi with a shirt full of eggs and finally slams
>> >into him.
>>
>> I think these are all a tie with Burnett's GWTW curtain skit. Though
>> I'd imagine this would be an easy one to resolve.
>>
>> I think my personal longest laugh that I can recall is the 'ah, the
>> pretty-girl-that-puts-out-theory' on a Drew Carey episode when
>> what's-her-name said she never went wo a date in high school.
>> -gj
>
>Not familiar with that.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_Lucy
>
>The Wiki page does say "....The Ricardos' and the Mertzes' chicken
>business is not doing very well. Lucy and Ethel come up with a scheme to
>fool the boys into thinking the hens are laying lots of eggs by
>smuggling some, hidden underneath their clothes, into the henhouse. On
>one such trip, Ricky insists that he and Lucy rehearse their tango
>number for a local benefit. Unbeknown to Ricky, Lucy's blouse is filled
>with chicken eggs. The climax of this scene provoked the longest laugh
>from a studio audience in television history. (original air date Mar 11,
>1957)."
>
>Except crucially, the "longest laugh" part is tagged with "[citation
>needed]."

Elsewhere on Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Dick_Van_Dyke_Show_episodes#Season_3:_1963.E2.80.931964):

"Rob recalls the hectic days after Richie was born, when he was sure the
hospital had given him and Laura the wrong baby. Cameo appearance by Greg
Morris. This episode registered the longest, uninterrupted span of laughter from
a live studio audience."
Message has been deleted

R H Draney

May 25, 2012, 12:01:06 AM5/25/12
poisoned rose filted:

> R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>> Elsewhere on Wikipedia
>>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Dick_Van_Dyke_Show_episodes#Season_3
>> :_1963.E2.80.931964):
>>
>> "Rob recalls the hectic days after Richie was born, when he was sure the
>> hospital had given him and Laura the wrong baby. Cameo appearance by Greg
>> Morris. This episode registered the longest, uninterrupted span of laughter
>> from
>> a live studio audience."
>
>What was the big gag there? I don't know if I've even seen a complete
>episode of that show.

Rob becomes convinced that the babies were switched...part of his case for this
theory is that the hospital was very busy, and Laura and a Mrs Peters (easily
confused with Petrie) kept getting things meant for each other: the wrong
dessert, the wrong gift from relatives, etc...finally, Rob invites Mr Peters
over to settle the matter...when Mr Peters steps into the living room, he turns
out to be black....

(This episode, BTW, is why I can claim Dick Van Dyke is the right age to be my
father...if Richie Petrie was born the same day as the son of a character played
by Greg Morris, and Phil Morris in real life was born the same day I was,
QED)....r

so

May 25, 2012, 8:59:49 AM5/25/12
> Yeah, right.- Hide quoted text -

I know the story and have seen the episodes. But do you honestly
believe they'd have a hand-held mike and camera ready to go in a split
second for Carson to go across the studio to where Rickles was taping?

Gemini Jackson

May 25, 2012, 10:58:02 AM5/25/12
On Fri, 25 May 2012 05:59:49 -0700 (PDT), so <yrag....@gmail.com>
wrote:
http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi1751319321/

I dunno, looks legit.
-gj

Gemini Jackson

May 25, 2012, 2:54:58 PM5/25/12
But this is far funnier, and almost kind of sad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwcfDa0gEPQ&feature=relmfu
-gj

Kris Baker

May 25, 2012, 3:43:10 PM5/25/12

"Gemini Jackson" <geminij...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Everything on the Carson show was carefully planned and scripted.

That Ed Ames tomahawk throw right into a crotch?
Interesting that he was given that figure, rather than a bullseye.

The cigar box joke?
If it had really happened, it would have been repaired quickly
and Ed wouldn't have told that build-up-to-the-punchline story.

Kris

R H Draney

May 25, 2012, 4:56:55 PM5/25/12
Kris Baker filted:

>Everything on the Carson show was carefully planned and scripted.
>
>That Ed Ames tomahawk throw right into a crotch?
>Interesting that he was given that figure, rather than a bullseye.
>
>The cigar box joke?
>If it had really happened, it would have been repaired quickly
>and Ed wouldn't have told that build-up-to-the-punchline story.

And Joe Theisman *meant* to break his leg on camera...and the Challenger shuttle
was *supposed* to blow up just after takeoff...and Taylor Swift worked it out
with Kanye ahead of time that he'd interrupt her award acceptance speech...and
all those NFL games? planned down to the last detail weeks in advance....

Maybe if you were old enough to remember truly *live* TV you'd have less trouble
believing your own eyes....r

Kris Baker

May 25, 2012, 7:26:21 PM5/25/12

"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
I'm likely older than you; I sat through plenty of it.

Writing credits for the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson:

Jim Mulholland (1,733 episodes, 1970-1992)
Michael Barrie (1,477 episodes, 1968-1992)
Hank Bradford (1,141 episodes, 1969-1975)
Tom Finnigan (593 episodes, 1980-1992)
Raymond Siller (559 episodes, 1977-1988)
Bob Howard (475 episodes, 1972-1973)
Hal Goodman (454 episodes, 1979-1988)
Larry Klein (454 episodes, 1979-1988)
Kevin Mulholland (454 episodes, 1979-1988)
Darrell Vickers (349 episodes, 1985-1992)
Ed. Weinberger (267 episodes, 1965-1971)
Nick Arnold (260 episodes, 1970-1972)
Joe Bigelow (260 episodes, 1970-1971)
Stan Daniels (260 episodes, 1970-1971)
Stan Dreben (260 episodes, 1970-1971)
Tom Moore (257 episodes, 1970-1973)
Andrew Nicholls (233 episodes, 1987-1992)
Tony DeSena (212 episodes, 1988-1992)
Bob Keane (178 episodes, 1982-1992)
Bob Dolan Smith (175 episodes, 1979-1992)
Bob Reynolds (167 episodes, 1969-1970)
Ralph Goodman (159 episodes, 1969-1970)
Gary Murphy (154 episodes, 1980-1983)
David Lloyd (142 episodes, 1963-1970)
Greg Fields (116 episodes, 1979-1981)
Sidney Reznick (112 episodes, 1969-1970)
Patric M. Verrone (112 episodes, 1987-1990)
Marshall Brickman (110 episodes, 1969-1970)
Norm Liebmann (105 episodes, 1977-1979)
Gary Belkin (93 episodes, 1986-1987)
Pat McCormick (59 episodes, 1967-1981)
Herbert Sargent (45 episodes, 1962-1963)
Al Jean (34 episodes, 1987-1988)
Mike Reiss (34 episodes, 1987-1988)
Walter Kempley (13 episodes, 1963-1967)
Bob Carman (6 episodes, 1965-1966)
Mickey Rose (2 episodes, 1969-1984)
Johnny Carson (unknown episodes)
Hal Goldman (unknown episodes)
Jay Leno (unknown episodes)
Richard Marcus (unknown episodes)
George Tricker (unknown episodes)
Allyn Warner (unknown episodes)

R H Draney

May 26, 2012, 1:47:38 PM5/26/12
Kris Baker filted:

>"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

Is it your contention, then, that a television show having "writers" means that
the entire thing is scripted?...so when David Letterman was bitten on the lip by
a dog brought out to perform a "Stupid Pet Trick" this was what the writers had
come up with for him?...and when JI Rodale died on the set of "The Dick Cavett
Show", it was something he had been brought there to do?...

I'm deeply sorry if I've contributed to the misdirection of the public...from
now on, I will make it a point not to believe anything I hear on a show with
writers...that includes Monday Night Football or any "breaking story" on the
evening news, because it's all planned out in advance for our entertainment....r

Kris Baker

May 26, 2012, 3:08:49 PM5/26/12

"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
Not at all ... but really, how could Johnny Carson be surprised the
*next night* by a broken lid that could easily have been repaired?

Running gag, well done.

Kris

Dirty Old Town

May 26, 2012, 3:35:00 PM5/26/12
Kris Baker is a knob. I like to read her responses because it's like
watching a talking canned ham. In other words, not to be taken with
anything except a laff.

R H Draney

May 26, 2012, 11:39:15 PM5/26/12
Kris Baker filted:

>Not at all ... but really, how could Johnny Carson be surprised the
>*next night* by a broken lid that could easily have been repaired?
>
>Running gag, well done.

Maybe they Photoshopped it....r

Kris Baker

May 27, 2012, 12:01:47 AM5/27/12

> Kris Baker filted:
>>
>>Not at all ... but really, how could Johnny Carson be surprised the
>>*next night* by a broken lid that could easily have been repaired?
>>
>>Running gag, well done.
>
> Maybe they Photoshopped it....r

....in the photogravure.