Robert Loggia, actor, 85

cathyc...@aol.com

Dec 4, 2015, 5:23:43 PM12/4/15
Oscar nominee for Jagged Edge.

Larc

Dec 4, 2015, 6:28:21 PM12/4/15
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 14:23:40 -0800 (PST), cathyc...@aol.com wrote:

| Oscar nominee for Jagged Edge.

Another super good one gone. RIP.

Larc

Michael OConnor

Dec 4, 2015, 8:35:12 PM12/4/15
"Send it on the wire...tell them how to bring those sons of bitches down."

That Derek

Dec 5, 2015, 1:35:44 AM12/5/15
Here's a YouTube link to that outright surreal TV ad Robert Loggia did for Minute Maid orange juice in 1998:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cssveZvVgOc

Anglo Saxon

Dec 5, 2015, 1:57:10 AM12/5/15
LOLOL. How the hell did you come across THAT? You are absolutely right; it's
surreal. "Reverend Loggia". WEIRD. It's so easy to hate that kid, too. They
got their money's worth from that agency.......

Michael OConnor

Dec 5, 2015, 6:34:19 AM12/5/15
Here is an episode of his mid-60's series T.H.E. Cat, which only lasted one season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nyJlIiw0EY

His voice hadn't yet become raspy and looking at him, I wouldn't guess in a million years it was a young Robert Loggia.

That Derek

Dec 6, 2015, 4:23:57 PM12/6/15
Anglo-Saxon queried:

>> LOLOL. How the hell did you come across THAT?

There really was not anything incredible done in finding this clip. That Robert Loggia Minute Maid ad left an impression on me when I first saw it in the 1990s; therefore, all I had to do at YouTube was key in <"Robert Loggia" + "orange juice"> and ... voila!

At the time (1998), "The (Newark NJ) Star-Ledger" had two full-time TV writers, viz. Matt Soller Zeitz and Alan Sepinwall, who actually devoted an entire column about the anomaly of placing Mr. Loggia in an orange juice commercial and the unlikely event that an 8-year old would idolize him.

I wrote to them and mentioned that the Loggia/Minute Maid tableau was not the first time a beverage ompany used an unlikely celebrity and inordinately over-fascinated kids in a bid to sell orange juice.

Recounting a commercial from circa 1974-75, I informed them about an ad for Tropicana in which three or four kids are seated at a picnic table with a carton of Tropicana prominently displayed. Who then should happen along singing a simplistic jingle "You haven't tried real orange juice before 'til you've tried Tropicana" (the same song NYC TV kiddie show host Sandy Becker used to sing when he had the gig hawking the product)? Why, none other than Eddie Albert! One 10-year old excitedly exclaims, "Hey, it's Eddie Albert"; another kid inquires "How's Arnold the pig?" to which Mr. Albert responds "Oh, he's fine. I'll tell him you asked." At that point, Albert and the kids launch into a typical sales pitch about vitamins and nutrients - not unlike Loggia selling the kid on the merits of the product in question.

Like I wrote to Messrs. Zeitz and Sepinwall at the time, I posited that "Green Acres" had been off-network for about four years at that point and how it wasn't really setting any fires in syndication. I further wondered about the unlikeliness that a bunch of pre-pubescents would be enamored of Eddie Albert

Anglo Saxon

Dec 6, 2015, 7:13:11 PM12/6/15
Thanks for the background. Funny old days.....

Bermuda999

Dec 8, 2015, 2:55:06 AM12/8/15

tr...@iwvisp.com

Dec 8, 2015, 6:51:16 PM12/8/15
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 10:35:44 PM UTC-8, That Derek wrote:
> Here's a YouTube link to that outright surreal TV ad Robert Loggia did for Minute Maid orange juice in 1998:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cssveZvVgOc

Is the wife/Mom Wendie Malick?

Ray Arthur