Omar Sharif, 83, actor

cathyc...@aol.com

Jul 10, 2015, 10:06:11 AM7/10/15
Star of Doctor Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia.

marcus

Jul 10, 2015, 10:55:59 PM7/10/15
On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 10:06:11 AM UTC-4, cathyc...@aol.com wrote:
> Star of Doctor Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia.

The former is one of my favorite movies of all time.

bill van

Jul 11, 2015, 12:16:10 AM7/11/15
In article <755ddddc-23ec-41df...@googlegroups.com>,
Both directed by David Lean, as was The Bridge on the River Kwai. Lean
made huge spectacles of movies that had plenty of space for his stars to
shine.
--
bill

marcus

Jul 11, 2015, 2:10:02 PM7/11/15
On Saturday, July 11, 2015 at 12:16:10 AM UTC-4, bill van wrote:
> In article <755ddddc-23ec-41df...@googlegroups.com>,
> marcus > wrote:
>
> > On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 10:06:11 AM UTC-4, cathyc...@aol.com wrote:
> > > Star of Doctor Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia.
> >
> > The former is one of my favorite movies of all time.
>
> Both directed by David Lean, as was The Bridge on the River Kwai. Lean
> made huge spectacles of movies that had plenty of space for his stars to
> shine.
> --
> bill

You know that expression, "they don't make them like that anymore?" It really applies to the Lean films.

Also to other films, not directed by Lean, such as "Around The World In 80 Days".

I'm sure that those types of films either are too expensive to make or backers are too scared to invest in them.

cathyc...@aol.com

Jul 11, 2015, 3:59:43 PM7/11/15
Around the World in 80 Days was remade not too long ago. It sucked just as much as the original.

As for David Lean, 75% of the films he made were small lovely intimate films. He only made 4, maybe 5 films on the scale of Lawrence.

And, of course, they still make big expensive films like that today. They're just mostly not very good.

bill van

Jul 11, 2015, 5:50:35 PM7/11/15
In article <743e042f-ab91-4a30...@googlegroups.com>,
marcus <marc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, July 11, 2015 at 12:16:10 AM UTC-4, bill van wrote:
> > In article <755ddddc-23ec-41df...@googlegroups.com>,
> > marcus > wrote:

> > > The former is one of my favorite movies of all time.
> >
> > Both directed by David Lean, as was The Bridge on the River Kwai. Lean
> > made huge spectacles of movies that had plenty of space for his stars to
> > shine.
>
> You know that expression, "they don't make them like that anymore?" It
> really applies to the Lean films.
>
> Also to other films, not directed by Lean, such as "Around The World In 80
> Days".
>
> I'm sure that those types of films either are too expensive to make or
> backers are too scared to invest in them.

James Cameron has made a few very large, expensive movies, including
Titanic and Avatar. Martin Scorsese has also made quality big-budget
pics.

And there are the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit and Harry Potter franchises,
all expensive to make, all quite profitable. The Spider-Man movies,
Batman, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. Before them but post-Lean,
Stanley Kubrick had big budgets to work with.

So they haven't stopped making big and expensive movies, but for the
most part the recent ones are safe choices that the backers know will
make money.

For their sheer majestic quality, though, I don't think any recent
movies are a match for Lean's best work.
--
bill

cathyc...@aol.com

Jul 11, 2015, 6:20:24 PM7/11/15
Titanic and Avatar are shit in their purest form.

nicol...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2015, 9:10:54 PM7/12/15
On Saturday, July 11, 2015 at 5:20:24 PM UTC-5, cathyc...@aol.com wrote:
> Titanic and Avatar are shit in their purest form.

Well, making movies on a computer....well.......ya' know....

I still freak out watching Melies. People had to actually work back then.