America CAN be saved!: Arianna Huffington to run for Governor of California

Yours Extra Truly

Aug 7, 2003, 1:22:56 AM8/7/03
Arianna Huffington talks about Running for
Governor of California and the Recall
Election of Gray Davis

A BUZZFLASH INTERVIEW

Arianna Huffington gives one of her first interviews as a
candidate for governor of California to BuzzFlash.com.

After several weeks of supporters urging her to run for
governor of California, Arianna Huffington announced that
she will appear on the California recall ballot as a candidate.

Huffington held a news conference and rally to make her
candidacy formal on Wednesday morning, August, 6, 2003,
at "A Place Called Home," a center for at-risk teens in
downtown Los Angeles where Arianna has served on the
board for eight years.

In the complicated California recall ballot, initiated by
Republicans to subvert democracy in America’s largest state
(Gray Davis was just re-elected in November of last year),
Huffington would appear on a ballot of names from which a
new governor for the Golden State would be chosen if a
majority of voters choose to recall Davis. The recall election
is currently scheduled for October 7th, but Governor Davis is
contesting that date in court.

Huffington states her main reason for running on her new
campaign website at
http://www.ariannaforgov.com/fix.html.

On the same day that Huffington announced her candidacy
as an Independent, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein declared
that she would not place her name on the recall ballot.

* * *

BUZZFLASH: Let me start off by asking you why you
decided to put your name on the California gubernatorial
recall ballot.

ARIANNA HUFFINGTON: Because even though I believe
that the recall effort has been a Republican power grab -- and
that this is not a way to run a democracy -- I also see here
an unprecedented opportunity to take back our political
system, and to reorder our policy priorities, so that finally
public policy is set not by special interests and big
contributors, but by what is best for the public.

BUZZFLASH: What do you say to people like Terry
McAuliffe, head of the Democratic National Committee, who
said that the Democrats were united -- whether they love
him or not -- behind Gray Davis, so as not to create a
fractionalized competition where a Republican moderate like
Former Los Angeles Mayor Riordan, if he runs, could squeeze
through?

HUFFINGTON: Well, first of all, even some Democrats are
criticizing that strategy. Barbara Boxer, today in the L.A.
Times, criticized the strategy of circling the wagons around Davis and playing
Russian roulette with the state, assuming that somehow he will defeat the
recall.
The truth is that the polls are going against him.

But even if you don’t believe the polls, which I certainly do not pay much
attention to, it’s at best a 50-50 chance that he will survive. And you can’t
roll
the dice and say why don’t we just take the risk and let the state go to a
Republican?

And any Republican who would win would be a Bush Republican, because there’s
nobody who would differentiate himself from Bush’s policies in Washington, which
have, to a large extent, been responsible for the fiscal crisis in California in
the
first place. And that’s one of the things I want to do in the campaign –-
connect
the dots between the fiscal irresponsibility and the distorted priorities of the
Bush
administration, and how all that has affected the states.

BUZZFLASH: There was a period when California and Gray Davis were asking
for regulatory relief in terms of energy prices, and Cheney basically came in
and
said "No, the energy companies are not the problem –- you are." What role did
the energy crisis and the Bush administration policy play in the current
economic
crisis in California?

HUFFINGTON: It has played a major role. And there’s no question that the way
the Administration coddled Enron and Ken Lay, and other energy companies,
perpetuated the energy crisis. And it’s not that Gray Davis handled it in a
manner
that exemplified real leadership. And so it is a combination of the coddling by
the
Bush administration and also a lot of waiting until the last moment, and not
seeing the crisis that was looming around the corner, which ultimately is what
leadership is all about -– seeing the crisis before it’s right in front of us.

BUZZFLASH: Maybe what you are saying is that the best strategy here is to
start a "Recall Bush Campaign," were that legally allowable?

HUFFINGTON: Well, I’m not in favor of recalls. I think there are elections. And
unfortunately, the public’s choices in elections are being limited. Because of
redistricting, the part of incumbency, the part with the most money too often
prevails. So the public increasingly has fewer and fewer choices.

BUZZFLASH: You are considered a progressive and are associated with the
pro-democracy movement, working for the full and active participation of people
in elections. Setting the recall aside for a moment, were this just a general
election, would you say that the California population -– the majority of Golden
State voters –- is in the progressive camp?

HUFFINGTON: Well, first of all, the fact that this is not an ordinary election
provides a historic opportunity to progressives and independents. I am running
as
an independent. There are 21% registered independents in the state, and
growing. And there is no question that, because of the anger at the influence of
money and politics, and the corruption of the political system, there are a lot
of
people -– especially young people -– who have given up on the system, but who
want to get involved. It was the fact that so many young people, and older
people, and middle-aged people like me, got involved with the "Run, Arianna,
Run" website that was started in Northern California that it strongly influenced
me to run.

A lot of young people want to get involved in politics again, want to get
re-engaged. As you know, turnout has been going down dramatically among
young people, but that’s not because they don’t care. It’s because they don’t
believe they can make a difference.

And one of the things that’s persuaded me to run was to give an opportunity to
young people to make a difference again, and to build a coalition around these
key issues that I have been writing about, and been active on, and the issues
that were central to the shadow convention that I helped convene in 2000:
which include economic justice and the growing income disparities; and the
growing gaps in educational opportunities; the dominance of money in our
political system; and what we’re doing to our environment.

In California, you know, the air is getting worse, leading to terrible health
hazards
for young people and senior citizens, especially. Through the "Detroit Project"
that I launched together with three friends, we put the emphasis on the need for
greater fuel efficiency, which affects both our national security and our
environment. So these are critical issues. And this is an opportunity to put
them
to the front burner of our agenda and our political conversation.

BUZZFLASH: Now let me ask you, the primary issue here -- beyond Governor
Davis’ personality and modus operandi, which are of some controversy -- is, as
in most states, the budget, but is magnified because California is the largest
state
in the union. When people ask you, okay, if you become governor, if the recall
effort is successful, and then you’re elected governor as part of that process,
what would you do to deal with the burgeoning deficit in California?

HUFFINGTON: It is amazing to see how unequally our tax policy is
implemented, and what a key this would be to fixing our budget problems. We
are, at the moment, losing hundreds of millions of dollars a year because of tax
shelters. And we’re losing about $4 billion because of the way that commercial
property taxes, through loopholes, are very unfairly assessed. So these are
really
some of the key issues that I’m going to raise. Then we have also look at the
way that our taxes don’t fall equally on the privileged elite, who have access
politicians who provide them with loopholes and tax shelter opportunities. That
means that they don’t pay the billions of dollars that are collectively due from
them.

And that, for me, is really a key to my campaign, because these are not
right-left
issues. These are right-wrong issues. You don’t have to be on the left to be
against tax dodging. And that kind of tax dodging needs to be exposed and
corrected that will both go a long way towards addressing a budget crisis. It
will
also send a message to everyone in the state that everyone will be treated
equally. And that’s incredibly important, because increasingly, a lot of people
are
beginning to feel that we are becoming a feudal state where corporations and
wealthy individuals can shelter billions of dollars. Why, if you are an
African-American veteran –- this is a true story -- which owes $500 to the IRS,
should you get your house taken away? This is what happened to a veteran, and
he’s 80, who’s now living in a veteran’s home, and who lost his house that he
had bought through a lot of hard work and savings. And that shows a kind of
upstairs-downstairs society that we need to change in California and around the
country, of course.

BUZZFLASH: You’ve said you’ve chosen to run as an independent. Why have
you chosen to run as an independent rather than running as a Democrat?

HUFFINGTON: I’m a registered independent and I AM an independent. I’ve
always been an independent, ever since my political transformation, because I
believe that what I can bring to the people of California is the ability to
speak
straight about things, to name names, whether they’re Democrats or
Republicans. And to really provide independent leadership. I think that there’s
nothing more important than that right now, and to have an independent leader
uncompromised by special interest money or favors, who will call the
irresponsible to account, whether it’s the President of the United States or the
Prison Guards Union here in California. And to be able to do that, it’s a great
advantage to be an independent.

BUZZFLASH: Now let me just ask some questions about the technical aspects
of the recall vote. The election is set for what date?

HUFFINGTON: October 7th.

BUZZFLASH: Okay, when a person goes into the voting booth, they first must
make a decision on whether or not to recall the governor. Is that right?

HUFFINGTON: Yes. Actually I am very glad you are clarifying that, because you
would be amazed how many people, including people with a lot of political
knowledge, are confused. So here’s how it is. You get really two parts to the
ballot. The first is for or against the recall –- yes or no on the recall. And
whether
you vote yes or no on the recall, or whether you don’t vote at all on the
recall,
you STILL have the opportunity to vote for a replacement. And Gray Davis will
not be on that replacement list. And whoever gets a plurality of the votes from
the list of the names on the replacement, wins; that is if Governor Davis loses
the recall vote and is, in essence, voted out of office (recalled). So it is an
unprecedented opportunity for an independent, because you could win with 20%
of the vote. You could win with 15% of the vote.

The recall succeeds unless Greg Davis gets 50% of the vote or more.

BUZZFLASH: Are we correct in understanding that you can vote to retain Davis
in office, but still vote for a replacement?

HUFFINGTON: Oh, absolutely yes. That’s at the heart of everything –- that you
can vote against the recall and vote for an alternative choice if the recall
succeeds.

BUZZFLASH: Now a further clarification –- there’s a website, in fact, which
BuzzFlash posted, just so readers could see it, out of interest (I know nothing
about it other than we came across it) -– that is encouraging people, because
the threshold level for filing to run is fairly small, to run, to make the
ballot so
cumbersome that the election couldn’t come off in October. In short, is it true
that there's likely to be hundreds of people on the ballot?

HUFFINGTON: You know, we don’t know. A lot of people have taken papers,
but we don’t know how many are actually going to file nominating papers.
There’s no question it’s going to be a long list. But as it often happens in
elections, in the end, the debate and the campaign will be among the viable
candidates.

But most importantly, it’s very easy to focus on the clownish, chaotic aspects
of
this campaign. They’re so obvious and amusing and troubling. But out of chaos
come opportunities, and that is really the message that I’m bringing to this
campaign. When things are very stable and predictable, the status quo prevails.
Right now, we have an opportunity to give the electorate a real choice that is
not
–- assuming the recall succeeds, and nobody will know that until after the vote
–- just between a leader who’s been hopelessly compromised, like Gray Davis,
and a Republican who will bring to Sacramento more of the same economic
policies that have led to this worsening state, in terms of the jobs and
economic
recovery in the country, and a Republican who will graft the disastrous Bush
economic policies on the state of California.

BUZZFLASH: Given that California has 35 million residents, how, in a very short
timeframe of two months, are you going to communicate your message to that
many people?

HUFFINGTON: Well, that’s the challenge of California. But that’s where I believe
so much in grassroots politics, in independent media, in the Internet, what
you’re
doing at BuzzFlash.

Basically what we are trying to do with the campaign would not be possible, were
it not for the Internet, were it not for the way that ideas and action can catch
fire, through the Internet, and also the fact that any real political change
always
comes through what Martin Luther King called a "creative minority." You know,
you never reach everybody at once. You first need to reach a critical mass of
people. And then once that tipping point happens, the change spreads. And what
I’ve been writing, both in "Pigs at the Trough," my last book, and in my book
before that, "How to Overthrow the Government," and in hundreds of columns,
is basically that only the people of our state and our nation can save
democracy.
It’s really an opportunity to galvanize the people to take back their state.

Chef Juke

Aug 7, 2003, 8:46:43 AM8/7/03
http://www.ookeek.org

San Jose, California, July 30, 2003

Dear Monkey Tribe,
Madness is afoot and California's future is very much at risk. Cynical
politicians are battling over the right to lead us. They are
threatening to turn our statehouse into a monkeyhouse. But they are no
monkeys. They are sad clowns.

As we bear the burden of years of faulty leadership and the hollow
sounds of the false promise of change, we must ask, from where do our
roots come?

I say we can only count on our inner monkey to know who we are.

And as the only monkey running for governor, I believe I am the best
choice to guide our state through this perilous time and into a future
rife with bananas, high trees and long branches from which to swing.

Our entrenched politicians will say I am selling symbols – that my
tail and my penchant for screaming at the top of my lungs are a
smokescreen designed to hide an agenda of unbidden control. But I say,
there are enough bananas to go around, and any "leader" who would deny
them to the people of California isn't fit to lead our glorious
playground.

As governor, I will see to it that corruption is a forgotten word; I
will ensure that laughter and the right to ape those who are too
serious is inalienable.

I will champion the right of the fur coat – and the monkey who wears
it. All 50 million of us.

I say, ask not what your state can do for you, ask what I, as the
first monkey governor of an American state, can do for our great
state.

And I will not forget your call to arms. No! I will cry ook eek all
the way to the halls of Sacramento. And the world will know that the
monkeys are once again in charge of the monkeyhouse.

Sincerely,

Monkey

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Chef Juke

Aug 7, 2003, 9:18:01 AM8/7/03
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:08:32 +0100, Malev <ma...@selamer.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 05:46:43 -0700, Chef Juke <ju...@NOTQUITEchef.net>
>wrote:
>

><snip - o/t garbage>

Whooops,

Yep, sorry about that. Shoulda put a O/T disclaimer in the header
there. Just couldn't help myself after seeing the Arianna Huffington
post....

Yours Truly

Aug 7, 2003, 9:44:43 AM8/7/03
In article <u9k4jvs6ep8vdis4v...@4ax.com>, Chef Juke says...

>On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:08:32 +0100, Malev <ma...@selamer.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 05:46:43 -0700, Chef Juke <ju...@NOTQUITEchef.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>><snip - o/t garbage>
>
>Whooops,
>
>Yep, sorry about that. Shoulda put a O/T disclaimer in the header
>there. Just couldn't help myself after seeing the Arianna Huffington
>post....

Yeah, Republicans hate the truth!

Twice as Bad as Hoover

George W. Bush is shattering records for the worst first 18 months in office for
a U.S. president as measured by the benchmark Standard & Poor’s 500. In his
first year-and-a-half in the White House, Bush presided over a 36.9 percent
decline, almost twice the percentage drop of Herbert Hoover, the president who
led the nation into the Depression.

Hoover recorded an 18.6 percent decline and now ranks third from the worst, with
Richard Nixon in second place with a 23.6 percent fall in his first 18 months.
In other words, in the 75-year existence of the S&P 500, no president has seen
the stock market index fall as much as one-quarter, before Bush’s decline of
more than one-third.

Ironically, given the Republicans’ business-friendly reputation, the four worst
performing stock-market presidents in the first 18 months are all Republicans.
Ronald Reagan’s 15.3 percent decline joins Hoover, Nixon and Bush at the bottom.
The top two performing presidents, as measured by the S&P in their first 18
months, are Democrats, Lyndon Johnson at a plus 27.5 percent and Franklin
Roosevelt at 55.1 percent.

Bill Clinton ranked sixth with a 4.2 percent gain in his first 18 months.

While almost doubling Hoover’s decline in the S&P, Bush trailed the
Depression-Era Republican slightly in the blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial
Average, which measures the performance of 30 top U.S. companies. In Hoover’s
first 18 months, the Dow fell 24.8 percent. In Bush’s 18 months, the Dow’s drop
was 24.3 percent. [NYT, July 22, 2002]

Though some presidents reversed the early returns of the stock markets, Bush has
so far failed to inspire confidence either with his personal performance or his
policies. The stock market has greeted speech after speech by Bush with
double-digit declines in the Dow.

Accelerating Pace

The pace of the stock market crash under Bush also is accelerating. In the 10
trading days since Bush visited Wall Street to promote his economic plans, the
Dow has dropped almost 1,500 points or 16 percent. [NYT, July 23, 2002]

The Bush speeches have done little to persuade investors that happy days are
here again – or for that matter, likely in the foreseeable future. Bush’s top
economic proposals speak to different conditions than are apparent today.

His demand for a permanent repeal of the inheritance or "death" tax had more
appeal to Americans who were watching their stock portfolios swell in the
Clinton Era, along with their inflated dreams of multi-million-dollar wealth to
pass on to their descendants. Now, after a battering of their net worth, many of
these Americans are simply hoping to have enough money to pay for a modest
retirement.

Fast-track trade agreements also are out of sync with a world far less enamored
of U.S. economic leadership. Further, deregulation of industry and tort reform
-- backed by Bush and Republicans in Congress – have helped unleash some of the
avarice that led to corporate collapses at Enron Corp., WorldCom Inc. and other
companies.

Missing from Bush’s economic plan is any initiative that can inspire Wall Street
with visions of economic expansion. By contrast, the Clinton-Gore administration
promoted technological advances like the Internet that created a framework for
the private sector to innovate. In Election 2000, Vice President Al Gore also
proposed a partnership between government and industry to develop
environmentally friendly vehicles and alternative energy sources, in part, to
prime the pump for economic growth.

Major stock indexes are Wall Street’s rough measures of expected business
growth. At least during George W. Bush’s first 18 months, investors are judging
that those expectations are lacking – on a historic scale.

The Kentucky Wizard

Aug 7, 2003, 10:40:08 AM8/7/03
Upon receiving news that Yours Extra Truly had made the remarks below, and
after consultations with my Joint Chiefs of Staff, being briefed by members
of my Cabinet and telephone conversations with various world leaders, I have
come to the following conclusions:

> Arianna Huffington talks about Running for
> Governor of California and the Recall
> Election of Gray Davis

I don't know anyone else, but I know *I'll* be sleeping better tonight with
the knowledge that some stupid Greek bitch is willing to take over the helm
in California.

--
© The Wiz ®

Bob Flaminio

Aug 7, 2003, 1:17:30 PM8/7/03
The Kentucky Wizard wrote:
>> Arianna Huffington talks about Running for
>> Governor of California and the Recall
>> Election of Gray Davis
>
> I don't know anyone else, but I know *I'll* be sleeping better
> tonight with the knowledge that some stupid Greek bitch is willing to
> take over the helm in California.

I'll go on record right now and say that Gary Coleman will get more
votes than Arianna.

--
Bob

J.D. Baldwin

Aug 7, 2003, 3:46:18 PM8/7/03

In the previous article, Bob Flaminio <b...@flaminio.com> wrote:
> I'll go on record right now and say that Gary Coleman will get more
> votes than Arianna.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Bob?
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Louisiana Lou

Aug 7, 2003, 6:03:00 PM8/7/03
"J.D. Baldwin" <INVALID...@example.com> wrote in message

> In the previous article, Bob Flaminio <b...@flaminio.com> wrote:
> > I'll go on record right now and say that Gary Coleman will get more
> > votes than Arianna.
>
> Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Bob?

Dammit, J.D.! I was gonna say that. But I couldn't post until I got home
from work.

Anyway, from my cheap seat in Loozyana, it looks like all they need is a
dancing bear, lion tamer, and the guy w/ the push broom to sweep up the
poop. I thought MY state had some wacko politics with it, and of course it
does. But I was wondering if this kind of power play may do to the election
process what the Bork episode did to the Supreme Court nomination process.
Shapes of things to come, as The Yardbirds would say.

There is a governor's race this year, but it's boring. No Edwin Edwards
(he's in jail), no David DuKKKe (he's in jail). Pretty boring stuff. You
can't tell a D from an R here. They're all populist clones.

L2

"That's what a 'leader' is. A guy that sees a bunch of people going in a
certain direction, then runs out in front". ~ Willie Nelson

James Neibaur

Aug 7, 2003, 6:18:49 PM8/7/03
in article 2bAYa.1486$BC2...@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net, Rob Petrie
at r*@att.net wrote on 8/7/03 5:14 PM:

>> Shapes of things to come, as The Yardbirds would say.

In this case, it is almost better to quote Shape of Things to Come by Max
Frost (remember?).

JN

The Kentucky Wizard

Aug 7, 2003, 6:17:01 PM8/7/03
Upon receiving news that Bob Flaminio had made the remarks below, and after

consultations with my Joint Chiefs of Staff, being briefed by members of my
Cabinet and telephone conversations with various world leaders, I have come
to the following conclusions:

Hmmmm, 'Different Strokes' for different folks, I guess.

--
© The Wiz ®

Bob Flaminio

Aug 7, 2003, 6:18:32 PM8/7/03
Rob Petrie wrote:
> Too bad Frank Fontaine is dead.
> He'd be F.F. <lol>

I wish Pat Paulson (P.P.) were still alive. He could use the recall
election as a prequel to a 2004 presidential run.

--
Bob

Louisiana Lou

Aug 7, 2003, 6:32:44 PM8/7/03
"Bob Flaminio" <b...@flaminio.com> wrote in message

"The only thing to fear is fear itself---and the boogieman." ~ Pat Paulsen,
1976 Campaign

L2

James Neibaur

Aug 7, 2003, 6:34:03 PM8/7/03
in article BoAYa.1502$BC2....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net, Rob Petrie
at r*@att.net wrote on 8/7/03 5:28 PM:

> No, the instrumental song: "No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)"
> (#3, Dec. 1965) by the T-Bones! [i.e., 'The Alka Seltzer' commercial tune]

I hate you! Now I will have that annoyingly catchy song in my head all
night.

JN

Louisiana Lou

Aug 7, 2003, 6:51:18 PM8/7/03
"Rob Petrie" <r*@att.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
> What is D.D. in jail for? I knew E.E. was, but not D.D.
> Anyway, everybody else is talking about A.S. <g>
> [Or the "other" 'Arnold', 1978-1986 "Different Strokes"]

DuKKKe is in jail for mail fraud and tax evasion. He bilked his NAAWP
supporters to pay off his gambling debts. Talk about irony! You'd think that
was E.E.'s problem (and it was). But the shoe wound up on the other foot.
I guess you could say his NAAWP cronies were 'hoodwinked'. ;-)
http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/news/2035107/detail.html

L2

Louisiana Lou

Aug 7, 2003, 7:22:25 PM8/7/03
Hey, while we're on the topic of Governor's races, here's a good one from
the 1991 Louisiana campaign...

Boudreaux: Did you hear David Duke's running for governor?

Theriot: Wow! Really?

Boudreaux: Yeah. He threw his hood into the ring.

ba-da-boom!
L2

Louisiana Lou

Aug 7, 2003, 7:58:45 PM8/7/03
"The Kentucky Wizard" <kentuck...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Oh come on, Wiz! At least she's PRETTIER than Gary Coleman or that damn prop
comic Gallagher.

<ducking a pale of water>
L2

Erik L.

Aug 7, 2003, 7:59:14 PM8/7/03
>From: "Louisiana Lou" Kju...@nospam.com

>Hey, while we're on the topic of Governor's races, here's a good one from
>the 1991 Louisiana campaign...

Bumper sticker from the same race. Vote for the Lizard(Edwin Edwards) and not
the Wizard (Duke)

Iraq is free. The leftists were on the wrong side of history....again.
Save California - Recall Davis and Deport Loki.

Erik L.

Louisiana Lou

Aug 7, 2003, 8:12:12 PM8/7/03

"Rob Petrie" <r*@att.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
> What is D.D. in jail for? I knew E.E. was, but not D.D.
> Anyway, everybody else is talking about A.S. <g>
> [Or the "other" 'Arnold', 1978-1986 "Different Strokes"]

Hey Rob, speaking of E.E....
http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=1393806

BTW, check out the pic of his wife. She is HOT!
L2

Bill Schenley

Aug 7, 2003, 9:25:26 PM8/7/03
> I'll go on record right now and say that Gary
> Coleman will get more votes than Arianna.

Alan Bennett, an actor and playwright, was quoted
in the "Observer" with:

"Arianna Stassinopoulos Huffington is so boring
you fall asleep halfway through her name."

The Kentucky Wizard

Aug 8, 2003, 12:18:37 AM8/8/03
Upon receiving news that Rob Petrie had made the remarks below, and after

consultations with my Joint Chiefs of Staff, being briefed by members of my
Cabinet and telephone conversations with various world leaders, I have come
to the following conclusions:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Louisiana Lou" <Kju...@nospam.com> wrote in message

>> "J.D. Baldwin" <INVALID...@example.com> wrote in message

>>> Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Bob?
>
>> Dammit, J.D.! I was gonna say that. But I couldn't post until I got home
>> from work.
>
>> Anyway, from my cheap seat in Loozyana, it looks like all they need is a
>> dancing bear, lion tamer, and the guy w/ the push broom to sweep up the
>> poop.
>

> Brilliant repartee, Lou! I mean it.

> I thought MY state had some wacko politics with it, and of course it
>> does. But I was wondering if this kind of power play may do to the
election
>> process what the Bork episode did to the Supreme Court nomination
process.
>> Shapes of things to come, as The Yardbirds would say.
>
>> There is a governor's race this year, but it's boring. No Edwin Edwards
>> (he's in jail), no David DuKKKe (he's in jail). Pretty boring stuff. You
>> can't tell a D from an R here. They're all populist clones.
>

> What is D.D. in jail for? I knew E.E. was, but not D.D.
> Anyway, everybody else is talking about A.S. <g>
> [Or the "other" 'Arnold', 1978-1986 "Different Strokes"]
>

> Too bad Frank Fontaine is dead.
> He'd be F.F. <lol>

> Isn't that right, L.L.? [ROTFL]
> (But R.R. is still alive!) [ditto]

You're heavily drinking again, aren't you?

--
© The Wiz ®

The Kentucky Wizard

Aug 8, 2003, 12:22:38 AM8/8/03
Upon receiving news that Louisiana Lou had made the remarks below, and after

consultations with my Joint Chiefs of Staff, being briefed by members of my
Cabinet and telephone conversations with various world leaders, I have come
to the following conclusions:

And, her picture is,,,, where?

--
© The Wiz ®

The Kentucky Wizard

Aug 8, 2003, 12:27:15 AM8/8/03
Upon receiving news that Louisiana Lou had made the remarks below, and after

That may be true, but at least I can understand what Coleman and Gallagher
are saying. Listening to Schwarzenegger or Huffington jabbering on is like
listening to a verbal fight in the kitchen area at Olive Garden.

--
© The Wiz ®

MadCow57

Aug 8, 2003, 3:11:57 AM8/8/03
>>Anyway, from my cheap seat in Loozyana, it looks like all they need is a
dancing bear, lion tamer, and the guy w/ the push broom to sweep up the
poop.<< -- Louisiana Lou

Somebody being interviewed on CNN or MSNBC last night said, "the California
line-up looks like the bar in Star Wars."

Louisiana Lou

Aug 8, 2003, 7:15:19 AM8/8/03
"The Kentucky Wizard" <kentuck...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sorry 'bout that. The suckers at Channel 9 took it off the page, for some
reason. Try this one.
http://www.businessreport.com/pub/20_30/women/

L2

The Kentucky Wizard

Aug 8, 2003, 12:01:24 PM8/8/03

Thank for the pic, Lou. Yep, she's a keeper alright.

--
© The Wiz ®

Louisiana Lou

Aug 8, 2003, 1:39:50 PM8/8/03
"The Kentucky Wizard" <kentuck...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I hope I can do that well w/ the ladies when I'm 76.
;-)
L2

MadCow57

Aug 8, 2003, 3:58:29 PM8/8/03
OK, I admit it - I don't know who the hell Arrianna Huffington is. Somebody
please explain.

Bob Flaminio

Aug 8, 2003, 4:04:15 PM8/8/03
MadCow57 wrote:
> OK, I admit it - I don't know who the hell Arrianna Huffington is.
> Somebody please explain.

Greek-American wife of homosexual millionaire Michael Huffington, who
tried unsuccessfully to buy a Senate seat a few years back. From there
she branched out to be a talking head on numerous politically-oriented
cable shows, possibly most prominently on Bill Maher's old Politically
Incorrect [sic] show. While I don't know if she's formally left the
Republican party or not, her politics of late have turned rather
Green-ish. She appears to have no talent aside from self-promotion.

--
Bob

MadCow57

Aug 8, 2003, 5:14:40 PM8/8/03
Thank you, Bob.

The Kentucky Wizard

Aug 8, 2003, 5:44:09 PM8/8/03
Upon receiving news that Bob Flaminio had made the remarks below, and after

consultations with my Joint Chiefs of Staff, being briefed by members of my
Cabinet and telephone conversations with various world leaders, I have come
to the following conclusions:

I think Maher and Huffington are doing the nasty, something I really do not
want to draw a mental picture of. He goes out of his way at every
opportunity to mention her, and that she is one of his "best friends".
Perhaps seeing Huffington naked is where Maher gets some of his best comedic
material, which is again, a mental picture I'd rather not envision.

--
© The Wiz ®

matador

Aug 8, 2003, 6:30:34 PM8/8/03

Dead, so what ? He can still beat John Ashcroft any day.

.
.
.

Hoodude

Aug 8, 2003, 7:30:42 PM8/8/03
On 07 Aug 2003 23:59:14 GMT, islan...@aol.com (Erik L.) wrote:

>>Hey, while we're on the topic of Governor's races, here's a good one from
>>the 1991 Louisiana campaign...

>Bumper sticker from the same race. Vote for the Lizard(Edwin Edwards) and not
>the Wizard (Duke)

I forgot about that one. I used to see and hear that slogan when
visiting New Orleans during Mardi Gras week.

matador

Aug 8, 2003, 7:21:29 PM8/8/03
She Kentucky Wizard wrote:
<waffle snipped>

> I think Maher and Huffington are doing the nasty, something I really do not
> want to draw a mental picture of. He goes out of his way at every
> opportunity to mention her, and that she is one of his "best friends".
> Perhaps seeing Huffington naked is where Maher gets some of his best comedic
> material, which is again, a mental picture I'd rather not envision.

Right. That's probably why you only mentioned it twice.

.
.
.

Harry Krause

Aug 8, 2003, 8:23:07 PM8/8/03
Rob Petrie wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes

> "Bob Flaminio" <b...@flaminio.com> wrote in message

> I just saw Mr. Huffington on one of the political shows (CNN or FNC)
> earlier today, and he admitted he is a bi-sexual.
>
> "I like women, but I like men, too."
> --Michael Huffington

What's your point here, Petrie? Are you pimping for Mr. Huffington? I
mean, does ir really, truly matter what his orientation is?

--
* * *
email sent to etaoin...@hotmail.com will *never* get to me.

Terrymelin

Aug 9, 2003, 11:45:52 AM8/9/03
>I think Maher and Huffington are doing the nasty, something I really do not
>> want to draw a mental picture of. He goes out of his way at every
>> opportunity to mention her, and that she is one of his "best friends

That would be appropriate since her last husband was in the closet as well.

Terry Ellsworth

Louis Epstein

Aug 10, 2003, 5:27:42 PM8/10/03
In alt.obituaries Bob Flaminio <b...@flaminio.com> wrote:
: The Kentucky Wizard wrote:
:>> Arianna Huffington talks about Running for

:>> Governor of California and the Recall
:>> Election of Gray Davis
:>
:> I don't know anyone else, but I know *I'll* be sleeping better
:> tonight with the knowledge that some stupid Greek bitch is willing to
:> take over the helm in California.

: I'll go on record right now and say that Gary Coleman will get more
: votes than Arianna.

Here's another alternative among the scores of candidates:

http://64.237.50.166/voteformary.htm

Gray Davis will get more votes than any of them,
but if he gets less than 50% he could lose to someone
with 5% if no one gets more.

-=-=-

Steven M. O'Neill

Aug 10, 2003, 11:31:57 PM8/10/03
Louis Epstein <l...@put.com> wrote:
>In alt.obituaries Bob Flaminio <b...@flaminio.com> wrote:
>: The Kentucky Wizard wrote:
>:>> Arianna Huffington talks about Running for
>:>> Governor of California and the Recall
>:>> Election of Gray Davis
>:>
>:> I don't know anyone else, but I know *I'll* be sleeping better
>:> tonight with the knowledge that some stupid Greek bitch is willing to
>:> take over the helm in California.
>
>: I'll go on record right now and say that Gary Coleman will get more
>: votes than Arianna.
>
>Here's another alternative among the scores of candidates:
>
>http://64.237.50.166/voteformary.htm

She's obviously a genius.

--
Steven O'Neill ste...@panix.com
www.bridgetolls.org

PirateJohn

Aug 11, 2003, 6:04:11 PM8/11/03
>>Here's another alternative among the scores of candidates:
>>
>>http://64.237.50.166/voteformary.htm
>
>She's obviously a genius.

From what I can see she's clearly as well qualifed as any of the other boobs
that are running.

If I were in California she might get my vote ;)

Pirat...@aol.com
Keeper of the Humour List at http://members.aol.com/PirateJohn/pirate1.html

"Mother, mother ocean... I have heard your call" - Jimmy Buffett, A Pirate
Looks At Forty.