Pernell Roberts (Bonanza, Trapper John), 81

Kris Baker

Jan 25, 2010, 5:35:49 PM1/25/10
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/afterword/2010/01/pernell-roberts-adam-cartwright-on-bonanza-dead-at-81.html

Pernell Roberts, an original cast member of one of television's classic
westerns, "Bonanza," died at his Malibu home Sunday. He was 81.

His death from cancer was confirmed by his wife, Eleanor Criswell.

Roberts was known to fans as the handsome and smart eldest son of the
Cartwright clan, Adam. He played the role from its inception in 1959, but
tired of the role after six years and left the show to act in films and
resume a stage career that had brought him a 1955 Drama Desk Award for best
actor in a production of "Macbeth." In 1979, he returned to series
television in the popular "Trapper John, M.D.," playing the title character,
Dr. John McIntyre, for the show's entire seven seasons.

In later years, he had guest roles in other shows and narrated
documentaries. He retired in the late 1990s.

A complete news obituary will follow at www.latimes.com/obits.

--Elaine Woo

--
"It is a well-documented fact that guys will not ask for
directions. This is a biological thing. This is why it takes

Ed Varner

Jan 25, 2010, 5:38:32 PM1/25/10
On Jan 25, 3:35 pm, "Kris Baker" <parallelcoo...@ggmail.com> wrote:
> http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/afterword/2010/01/pernell-roberts-ada...

> Pernell Roberts, an original cast member of one of television's classic
> westerns, "Bonanza," died at his Malibu home Sunday. He was 81.

And then there were none.....................

Matthew Kruk

Jan 25, 2010, 5:40:24 PM1/25/10
"Kris Baker" <paralle...@ggmail.com> wrote in message

> http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/afterword/2010/01/pernell-roberts-adam-cartwright-on-bonanza-dead-at-81.html
>
> Pernell Roberts, an original cast member of one of television's
> classic westerns, "Bonanza," died at his Malibu home Sunday. He was
> 81.

And that leaves none of the Bonanza originals ... RIP.

BobF

Jan 25, 2010, 5:48:33 PM1/25/10

[Default] On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:38:32 -0800 (PST), Ed Varner
<ed.v...@gmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

Including Victor Sen Yung (Hop Sing) and Ray Teal (Sherriff Roy
Coffee). But not including Mitch Vogel, who played Jamie Hunter
Cartwright (an orphan taken in by the Cartwright men and later
adopted).

RIP
--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Kris Baker

Jan 25, 2010, 6:10:14 PM1/25/10

"Matthew Kruk" <nob...@home.com> wrote in message

He was my favorite (toupee and all). So....smoldering....

Kris

BobF

Jan 25, 2010, 6:22:55 PM1/25/10

[Default] On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:48:33 +1300, BobF
<b...@surfwriter.net.not> magnanimously proffered:

Photos of Mitch Vogel: http://us.imdb.com/media/rm1230673920/nm0900938

--

> Cracked me up. Thanks for the good ole belly laugh.

Did you fall down, Humpty Dumpty?

- From "The Sayings of Roy"

BeAStooge

Jan 25, 2010, 6:42:16 PM1/25/10
On Jan 25, 5:48 pm, BobF <b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
> But not including Mitch Vogel, who played Jamie Hunter
> Cartwright (an orphan taken in by the Cartwright men and later
> adopted).

And David Canary, ranch foreman Candy, alive and well as one of the
stars of ALL MY CHILDREN.

BobF

Jan 25, 2010, 6:59:15 PM1/25/10

[Default] On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:42:16 -0800 (PST), BeAStooge
<BeAS...@aol.com> magnanimously proffered:

Then & now photos:

http://bonanzaworld.net/bwgallery/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/normal_01%20copy.JPG

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/136265447_3bd5e8c854.jpg?v=0

--

>>> Gaskin, 20, was killed when her head struck several mailboxes as she
>>> leaned out the window of a moving pickup truck, the driver told
>>> police.
>>>

>>when we were kids we just used baseball bats...i guess times have
>>changed.
>
> Not really ... people still use baseball bats on heads.

Bob is an expert on that since he hit himself a few years ago
swinging one.
He's been loopy ever since.

Message has been deleted

Charlene

Jan 25, 2010, 7:19:29 PM1/25/10
On Jan 25, 5:59 pm, BobF <b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
> [Default] On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:42:16 -0800 (PST), BeAStooge
> <BeASto...@aol.com> magnanimously proffered:

> >On Jan 25, 5:48 pm, BobF <b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
> >> But not including Mitch Vogel, who played Jamie Hunter
> >> Cartwright (an orphan taken in by the Cartwright men and later
> >> adopted).
>
> >And David Canary, ranch foreman Candy, alive and well as one of the
> >stars of ALL MY CHILDREN.
>
> Then & now photos:
>
> http://bonanzaworld.net/bwgallery/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/norma...
>
> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/136265447_3bd5e8c854.jpg?v=0

Still working full-time too, although they killed off Stuart. (sob)

wd45

Travoltron

Jan 25, 2010, 8:54:28 PM1/25/10

Indian #1: Thank you. I just wish Ben and Hoss and Little Joe and Hop
Sing and Sheriff Roy and all your favorites could be alive
today to see this wonderful turnout.
Indian #2: You know, on the series, we were always trying to kill the
Cartwrights.
[audience boos]
But it looks like Father Time took care of that for us,
right? [pause] Am I right, folks?
[the audience doesn't respond, so the two Indians motion for
the theme song to play again, which they dance to]
Bart: Oh, this sucks.
Marge: Weren't there three Indians last year?
-- "The Homer They Fall"

Chuck Kopsho

Jan 25, 2010, 10:58:57 PM1/25/10
Rumor has it that Hop Sing had an interesting relationship with the
Cartwright men. NTTAWWT.

Cheers!
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California

darkme

Jan 25, 2010, 11:18:10 PM1/25/10
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:35:49 -0700, "Kris Baker"
<paralle...@ggmail.com> wrote:

>http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/afterword/2010/01/pernell-roberts-adam-cartwright-on-bonanza-dead-at-81.html
>
>Pernell Roberts, an original cast member of one of television's classic
>westerns, "Bonanza," died at his Malibu home Sunday. He was 81.

<snip>

>In later years, he had guest roles in other shows and narrated
>documentaries. He retired in the late 1990s.
>
>A complete news obituary will follow at www.latimes.com/obits.
>
>--Elaine Woo

He also starred in one of the (IMHO) funniest movies that MST3K ever
riffed on, "San Francisco International".

If anyone here ever saw this, the scene with Pernell in a small plane,
trying to "talk down" the kid who could not fly, yet hijacked another
small plane anyway, displayed some of the the best of the comedic
genius of the MST3K crew.

Rich

Message has been deleted

Bermuda999

Jan 28, 2010, 12:12:29 PM1/28/10
On Jan 25, 5:40 pm, "Matthew Kruk" <nob...@home.com> wrote:
> "Kris Baker" <parallelcoo...@ggmail.com> wrote in message

> >http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/afterword/2010/01/pernell-roberts-ada...
>
> >PernellRoberts, an original cast member of one of television's

> > classic westerns, "Bonanza," died at his Malibu home Sunday. He was
> > 81.
>
> And that leaves none of the Bonanza originals ... RIP.

You ever see the show? It's a 50-year-old father and three 47-year-
old sons. You know why they get along so good? 'Cause they're all the
same age.''

''I'm not an authority like you are, but I occasionally watch
'Bonanza' and I think it's, like, how can you believe there's a man
who got three kids by three different wives and they all died at
childbirth?''

''Musta been a hell of a man.''

''Musta been the kiss of death.''

Michael O'Connor

Jan 28, 2010, 5:54:52 PM1/28/10
On Jan 26, 1:03 am, Cobbie <cobbie...@aol.com> wrote:
> Wasn't he one of the charter members of the "he's leaving to make
> movies" club?

I always thought Pernell Roberts left Bonanza because he got fed up
with the sappy scripts and wanted to do something different and didn't
leave because he saw himself as the next new A list movie star a la
David Caruso's departure from NYPD Blue.

Kris Baker

Jan 28, 2010, 6:33:33 PM1/28/10

"Michael O'Connor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message

>On Jan 26, 1:03 am, Cobbie <cobbie...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Wasn't he one of the charter members of the "he's leaving to make
>> movies" club?
>
> I always thought Pernell Roberts left Bonanza because he
> got fed up with the sappy scripts (snip)

Yeah. I'm old enough to remember when he left, and what he
was publicly saying. Pretty fearless, actually. Wikipedia
has it down quite accurately:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pernell_Roberts

Kris

Kathyer1

Jan 30, 2010, 10:15:57 PM1/30/10

They have most of it right on his private life, there are two things
that are wrong that I will not go into since he didn't want the public
to know.

Pernell was a long time friend of mine, and no he didn't leave Bonanza
to become a so called "Star" in movies, he loved performing on the
stage and that is what he went back to. In another post someone
mentioned Hop Sing, Victor died from accidental poisoning by gas in
his apartment in New York, unfortunately he was never paid the high
salary as the other actors, he was always billed as a "guest star" and
didn't make very much money. Pernell paid for his funeral and did the
Eulogy for him and all the other actors from the show. The only thing
he asked is no photo's be taken of him at their various funerals and
no publicity about it. I feel now that he's gone it's ok to say it. If
you remember when Michael Landon did the speech about when Lorne died
and he told everyone what happened, the one thing he didn't say was
Pernell was with him, they went together to see Lorne for the last
time. Again though Pernell didn't want the public to know. He just
wasn't into publicizing things he felt should remain private.

Some wonder since he loved the stage so much why he took the role of
Trapper. A very simple reason, when he marched for civil rights and
his picture showed up on the news, his father was fired from RC Cola
for what Pernell did. Pernell felt it was his responsibility to
support his parents than. His father became sick with cancer years
later, so Pernell took the role of Trapper and paid for his fathers
care and sadly his eventual funeral.

Hyfler/Rosner

Jan 30, 2010, 11:24:21 PM1/30/10

"Kathyer1" <kath...@justmeagain.com> >

> Pernell was a long time friend of mine, and no he didn't
> leave Bonanza
> to become a so called "Star" in movies, he loved
> performing on the
> stage and that is what he went back to.

Can someone please explain to me why no one can find usenet
except the friends and families of the people who die and we
write bad things about.

They seem to have no problem whatsoever.

Kathyer1

Feb 16, 2010, 12:51:36 AM2/16/10
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 23:24:21 -0500, "Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com>
wrote:

I've been reading this group for years (among others), I've designated
myself as a permanent lurker. I used to contribute every once in a
while but stopped to fight cancer and such. I look for when some of my
friends pass away to see what truths and believed truths are passed as
fact and also just to see what ppl think of those I knew and their
perception from afar of friends of mine.

Jane Margaret Laight

Feb 16, 2010, 5:21:23 AM2/16/10
On Feb 16, 12:51 am, Kathyer1 <kathy...@justmeagain.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 23:24:21 -0500, "Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Kathyer1" <kathy...@justmeagain.com> >

> >> Pernell was a long time friend of mine, and no he didn't
> >> leave Bonanza
> >> to become a so called "Star" in movies, he loved
> >> performing on the
> >> stage and that is what he went back to.
>
> >Can someone please explain to me why no one can find usenet
> >except the friends and families of the people who die and we
> >write bad things about.
>
> >They seem to have no problem whatsoever.
>
> I've been reading this group for years (among others), I've designated
> myself as a permanent lurker. I used to contribute every once in a
> while but stopped to fight cancer and such. I look for when some of my
> friends pass away to see what truths and believed truths are passed as
> fact and also just to see what ppl think of those I knew and their
> perception from afar of friends of mine.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for that information. My oldest sister always appreciated
the intellectual type (which is why she married the outdoorsy type, I
guess), and she was unhappy when Pernell Roberts left Bonanza; I have
alerted her to your posts, which I know she'll appreciate, since it
confirms her opinion/crush on him. What a class act.

Peace to his memory.

Jane M