"It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (last man standing)

News

Feb 12, 2014, 4:32:11 PM2/12/14
The last man standing as a main character in "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad
World" (Nov. 7, 1963).

It's Mickey Rooney ('Dingy Bell') at 93, the last living main participant in
the race for the 350 G's.

Sid Caesar died earlier today.
Jonathan Winters died in April 2013.

Not counting Marvin Kaplan ('Irwin', the garage man) at 87.
As does Carl Reiner (airport tower controller) at 91.
As does Stan Freberg at 87, as a deputy sheriff.
As does Jerry Lewis, at 87, the man who as the driver of the car runs over
Capt. Culpepper's hat in a fit of opportunity to have a little fun.

The little boy (Eddie, the miner's son) who hilariously misdirects 'Otto
Meyer' (Phil Silvers) whose car with him aboard, floats down the stream, is
on-topic. Eddie Rosson. He was only 38, dying on Sept. 19, 1994.
If I missed anyone else, post a reply.

TeddyKGB

Feb 12, 2014, 4:40:15 PM2/12/14
Barrie Chase?

That Derek

Feb 12, 2014, 5:42:46 PM2/12/14
According to IMdB, Nicholas Georgiade is still alive. He played one of the two detectives at the scene of Jimmy Durante/Smiler Grogan's death at the film's beginning (the other was played by Norman Fell).

Is Louise Glenn, who played the telephone voice of Spencer Tracy's daughter Billie Sue Culpepper, still living? IMdb doesn't seem to have anything on her beyond "... Mad World" and a couple of other contemporaneous credits.

R H Draney

Feb 12, 2014, 8:37:58 PM2/12/14
That Derek filted:
I also show John Clarke, uncredited in IAMMMMW as a helicopter pilot, and a
sometime cast member on "Days of Our Lives" as Mickey Horton, still living....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest

Feb 12, 2014, 9:19:22 PM2/12/14
Jerry Lewis died?
Message has been deleted

danny burstein

Feb 12, 2014, 10:12:50 PM2/12/14
In <mraof9lc5m3gqs2p8...@4ax.com> Terry del Fuego <t_del...@hotmail.com> writes:

>On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:32:11 -0600, "News" <m...@sb.net> wrote:

>>It's Mickey Rooney ('Dingy Bell') at 93, the last living main participant in
>>the race for the 350 G's.

>Rooney was wheeled out but walked to his assigned chair. His full
>awareness of where he was and why seemed inconsistent.

In early 2011 Mickey Roonet testified in Congress
about his belief he had experience elder abuse.

http://www.aarp.org/relationships/caregiving/info-03-2011/mickey-rooney-claims-elder-abuse.html

dan...@panix.com

News

Feb 13, 2014, 12:18:29 AM2/13/14
"TeddyKGB" <rar...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Yes. She is 80.

News

Feb 13, 2014, 12:23:10 AM2/13/14
"That Derek" <that...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Don't know about her.
But I caught another living actor from that film!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Georgiade
Nicholas Georgiade, now 80, who was one of the detectives who went down
the place where 'Smiler Grogan' "sailed right out there" along with the main
characters.

News

Feb 13, 2014, 12:24:49 AM2/13/14
"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
Was he the one who spied on Don Knotts and Phil Silvers when 'Otto
Meyer' (Silvers) was telling Knotts some wild story?

R H Draney

Feb 13, 2014, 5:24:26 PM2/13/14
News filted:

>"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I also show John Clarke, uncredited in IAMMMMW as a helicopter pilot, and
>> sometime cast member on "Days of Our Lives" as Mickey Horton, still
>> living....r
>
> Was he the one who spied on Don Knotts and Phil Silvers when 'Otto
>Meyer' (Silvers) was telling Knotts some wild story?

Not sure...IMDb also doesn't list the African-American actress in the
loaded-down car with Nick "Lightnin'" Stewart when they get run off the
road...anybody?...

(If you can identify her, I'll let you try to name the adorable actress in "Duck
Soup" who comes to the stateroom looking for her Aunt Minnie)....r

billcsm...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2014, 9:24:51 PM2/13/14
On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:32:11 PM UTC-5, News wrote:
Barrie Chase is alive and 80.
Message has been deleted

News

Feb 13, 2014, 11:09:03 PM2/13/14
> News filted:
>>
>>"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I also show John Clarke, uncredited in IAMMMMW as a helicopter pilot,
>>> and
>>> sometime cast member on "Days of Our Lives" as Mickey Horton, still
>>> living....r
>>
>> Was he the one who spied on Don Knotts and Phil Silvers when 'Otto
>>Meyer' (Silvers) was telling Knotts some wild story?
>
> Not sure...IMDb also doesn't list the African-American actress in the
> loaded-down car with Nick "Lightnin'" Stewart when they get run off the
> road...anybody?...

The Unknown Actress!

> (If you can identify her, I'll let you try to name the adorable actress in
> "Duck
> Soup" who comes to the stateroom looking for her Aunt Minnie)....r

Um, nobody!
That's because the film with the famous stateroom scene was "A
Night at the Opera" (1935), not "Duck Soup" (1933).
A rare error from the doctah!
I don't know who the adorable actress was, but I remember the
'Aunt Minnie' line!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026778/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Do you believe it was Bess Flowers, who was 37 then? (see below
for where she later appeared!)

BTW, the ship's officer (uncredited) was Stanley Blystone, who had
seven memorable appearances in Three Stooges shorts.
(how he got in their shorts I don't know!)
["False Alarms", Half-Shot Shooters", "Spook Louder", "Back
from the Front" "Three Little Twirps" with Curly, and "Out West" with Shemp
in '47] He had a rough, gruff menacing voice, with a mustache. You can't
miss him!

R H Draney

Feb 14, 2014, 1:31:19 AM2/14/14
News filted:

>"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>
>> (If you can identify her, I'll let you try to name the adorable actress in
>> "Duck
>> Soup" who comes to the stateroom looking for her Aunt Minnie)....r
>
> Um, nobody!
> That's because the film with the famous stateroom scene was "A
>Night at the Opera" (1935), not "Duck Soup" (1933).
> A rare error from the doctah!

And three hard-boiled eggs!...

> I don't know who the adorable actress was, but I remember the
>'Aunt Minnie' line!
>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026778/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
>
> Do you believe it was Bess Flowers, who was 37 then? (see below
>for where she later appeared!)

I don't think so...she looks a lot younger than 37....r

News

Feb 14, 2014, 10:44:30 AM2/14/14
> News filted:
>>
>>"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> (If you can identify her, I'll let you try to name the adorable actress
>>> in
>>> "Duck
>>> Soup" who comes to the stateroom looking for her Aunt Minnie)....r
>>
>> Um, nobody!
>> That's because the film with the famous stateroom scene was "A
>>Night at the Opera" (1935), not "Duck Soup" (1933).
>> A rare error from the doctah!
>
> And three hard-boiled eggs!...

HONK!!!

>> I don't know who the adorable actress was, but I remember the
>>'Aunt Minnie' line!
>>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026778/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
>>
>> Do you believe it was Bess Flowers, who was 37 then? (see below
>>for where she later appeared!)
>
> I don't think so...she looks a lot younger than 37....r

So, you don't know, either!

R H Draney

Feb 14, 2014, 7:12:45 PM2/14/14
No, I don't...that's why I'd very much like someone to solve this long-standing
mystery....r

News

Feb 15, 2014, 11:21:11 AM2/15/14
"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
Ask Jim Neibaur, Leonard Maltin, or some other well-known
movie expert. :)

jze...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2014, 8:44:02 AM11/16/14
Jean Sewell, actress from Chicago.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4029085/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

R H Draney

Nov 16, 2014, 6:40:38 PM11/16/14
jze...@gmail.com filted:
Thanks for that...I see Google Groups is now offering people the chance to
respond to posts only nine months old instead of nineteen years....

Still nothing on the "Night at the Opera" actress looking for her aunt Minnie,
though....r
Message has been deleted

DeadBeat

Nov 17, 2014, 4:44:54 PM11/17/14
Regarding the actress looking for her Aunt Minnie in "A Night at the Opera", maybe Lorraine Bridges?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G6AKNW1TL.jpg

bcer...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2016, 5:42:17 PM2/2/16
How did Eddie Rosson die?

YouDummy

Feb 2, 2016, 6:08:28 PM2/2/16
A post on IMDB attributes it to liver failure.

charlie.n...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2016, 10:05:17 PM7/31/16
Just watched Cool Hand Luke and thought that 'Opie' played Luke's nephew as his face is only visible for a second. Not RH, it was indeed the late Eddie Rosson.