Freddie Prinze Questions

EVARNER1

Jan 27, 2001, 7:14:04 AM1/27/01

After watching the "Chico and the Man" marathon on TV Land last weekend, I had
a couple questions concerning the death of Freddie Prinze, Sr.

Was it ever ruled if his death was an accident or a suicide? If suicide, were
any reasons ever known? Also, how did the show deal with Chico's departure?
Did they kill him off or did he just move away? I missed the episodes that
would have dealt with this and didn't hear his name mentioned in any of the
episodes from the final season that I watched.

ED

B6t43

Jan 27, 2001, 9:01:23 AM1/27/01
If I remember,it had him moving out after he went into business with
his dad`s company.They repaced him with a little kid(Raul?)who was
a stowaway in Ed & Louie`s car when they came back from a trip.
The show only lasted one more year.Time has not been kind to the
main actors on that show.Only Della Reese is left.Chico(Prinze)Ed
(Jack Albertson)Louie(Scatman Crothers) & Reverend Bemis (Ronny
Graham) are all dead.Not sure about the guy who played Chico`s friend
Mando.

"EVARNER1" <evar...@aol.com> wrote in message

EvelynMcH

Jan 27, 2001, 10:05:50 AM1/27/01
>Was it ever ruled if his death was an accident or a suicide? If suicide,
>were
>any reasons ever known?

Most definately a suicide, whether truely intended or not. Prinze had been
using drugs and had become paranoid, depressed and irrational in the last weeks
of his life. A few years ago, his wife and other friends came out with a book
that detailed exactly what happened to him and how just about everyone around
him had tried to get him help (and thought they were succeeding) at the time of
his death. It really is a sad story, even after all these years....

-=>epm<=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein

Stephen Fitzstephen

Jan 27, 2001, 10:32:28 AM1/27/01
He was depressed and crashing from cocaine.
He shot himself in the head.

He needed help.

The Avocado Avenger

Jan 27, 2001, 11:02:58 AM1/27/01
GO-SPAM-YO-...@bigfoot.com writes:

>On 27 Jan 2001 12:14:04 GMT, evar...@aol.com (EVARNER1) wrote:

>>After watching the "Chico and the Man" marathon on TV Land last weekend, I had
>>a couple questions concerning the death of Freddie Prinze, Sr.
>>
>>Was it ever ruled if his death was an accident or a suicide?

>Definitely a suicide, on January 28, 1977. (I remember, because it was my 20th
>b'day.)

Twenty-four years ago tomorrow. Incredible that I remember the incident
clearly, even though I was only five. Mom explained to me that Prinze had
been at a party, put a gun to his temple, said, "Hey everybody, look at
me" or something similar and pulled the trigger. I didn't know what a
"temple" was and got confused. ;)
Now I don't know if those facts are essentially correct, but if they
are, maybe I can parlay this extraordinary long-term memory of mine into a
lucrative 900-number business...

Stacia * The Avocado Avenger * Life is a tale told by an idiot;
http://www.io.com/~stacia/ * Full of sound and fury,
There is no guacamole anywhere. * Signifying nothing.

dli...@my-deja.com

Jan 27, 2001, 6:37:08 PM1/27/01
evel...@aol.com.no.junk (EvelynMcH) wrote:
> >Was it ever ruled if his death was an accident or a suicide? If
suicide,
> >were
> >any reasons ever known?
>
> Most definately a suicide, whether truely intended or not. Prinze had
been
> using drugs and had become paranoid, depressed and irrational in the
last weeks
> of his life. A few years ago, his wife and other friends came out
with a book
> that detailed exactly what happened to him and how just about
everyone around
> him had tried to get him help (and thought they were succeeding) at
the time of
> his death. It really is a sad story, even after all these years....

IIRC Jay Leno was Prinze's roommate at the time Prinze was offered the
part of "Chico." Once, on "The Tonight Show," I saw Leno talking to a
relatively unknown comedian who had suddenly gotten a part in a TV show
(I'm sorry, I just can't remember who it was) and Leno was almost
panicky in warning him of the dangers of sudden fame, referring back to
Prinze. It clearly still effected him 20 years later. So sad!

Dana Linton

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Brad Ferguson

Jan 27, 2001, 7:55:04 PM1/27/01
In article <20010127071404...@ng-bh1.aol.com>, EVARNER1
<evar...@aol.com> wrote:

I don't know if the transition episode was shown during the marathon.
If it was, someone might be able to give you a better tell:

The show opened with the Man stumbling around the set, perhaps
drunkenly, with his friends worrying about him. The younger Chico
shows up in the course of things. The Man keeps calling him "Chico,"
which the kid doesn't like.

At the end, the new Chico finds the Man sitting alone in church. They
sit together for a while, and the new Chico asks what happened to the
old Chico. "He died," says the Man, sadly and quietly. "Do you want
to know how?" No, the kid says; he doesn't need to know that, and
it'll be all right if the Man wants to call him Chico from then on.

I apologize for any mistakes in the above. It's been almost 25 years
since I've seen the episode.

--

Freddie Prinze's death was doubtless a suicide. The gun he used was
kept wedged between the sofa cushions; he had already pulled the gun

As for his drug habit, there was a large bowl of cocaine on the table
in front of the sofa.

My hazy recollection is that Prinze shot himself and died a day or two
afterward.

Bryan Styble

Jan 27, 2001, 9:00:10 PM1/27/01
Uh...does anyone else find those alleged jokes on "Chico and the Man" as
formulaic and unfunny as I did when watching last week's TV Land marathon? I
sat bored and thoroughly unamused through a couple episodes without even having
had a smile, much less a chuckle, elicited.

I had remembered the series as being far inferior to "Sanford and Son" when it
comes to underclass L.A. 70s humor, but I was still surprised at how poorly it
held up, even given the fact that those days are long gone.

As for Prinze's suicide--anyone, educated or un-, who can't at least
miminally appreciate the extraordinary good fortune enjoyed by anyone (talented
or un-, the latter of whichI fear Mr. Prinze largely was, lucky enough to land
even a supporting role on a hit TV series probably doesn't deserve that luck.

Sincerely,

BRYAN STYBLE/Albuquerque

Ron Harris

Jan 27, 2001, 9:03:52 PM1/27/01
I tried to watch a show or two of "Chico and The Man" last weekend on TV
Land- God Awful show..no wonder he was depressed.

VPŽ

Nell

Jan 27, 2001, 10:05:05 PM1/27/01
>===== Original Message From ron...@stratuswave.net =====

>I tried to watch a show or two of "Chico and The Man" last weekend on TV
>Land- God Awful show..no wonder he was depressed.
>
>VP®

>Stephen Fitzstephen wrote:
>
>> He was depressed and crashing from cocaine.
>> He shot himself in the head.
>>
>> He needed help.
It was tragic and I never did watch the show after he died. I don't think I
could watch it today, all these years later. And it would have nothing to do
with whether the show "held up" or not. It would be the recollection of a
young man who left a child fatherless.

Nell

WingNut

Jan 28, 2001, 1:00:38 AM1/28/01
Didn't Pete Duel of Alias Smith & Jones die somewhere around that timeframe ? He was a
suicide as I recall, but did anyone ever figure out what Pete's problem was ?
I loved that show, and he was a great actor.... Damn shame...

Jon

Steven Celli

Jan 28, 2001, 1:25:52 AM1/28/01
You can read more about Prinze at this link:

http://www.tvparty.com/mysdella.html

It is on an outstanding web site called "TVparty".This particular article is
on Della Reese while she was on the "Chico" show,but it has some facts about
Prinze.

"Nell" <nelly...@MailAndNews.com> wrote in message

>===== Original Message From ron...@stratuswave.net =====
>I tried to watch a show or two of "Chico and The Man" last weekend on TV
>Land- God Awful show..no wonder he was depressed.
>

>VPŽ

Qz43

Jan 28, 2001, 1:42:00 AM1/28/01
Funny you should mention that,because Chico & The Man came on
right after Sanford & Son for most of it`s NBC run.Sanford & Son came
on at 8:00pm on friday nights,and Chico came on at 8:30.And at 9:00pm
"The Rockford Files" came on.Talk about a great lineup!Being sandwiched
between Sanford & Rockford no doubt helped pad the shows high ratings.

"Bryan Styble" <sty...@aol.com> wrote in message

Qz43

Jan 28, 2001, 1:54:07 AM1/28/01
I was checking out the Brooks & Marsh TV history book,and during the
74-75 TV season,Chico & The Man was the third highest rated show
that season,behind All in The Family and Sanford & Son.I think that it`s
time slot between Sanford & Son and The Rockford Files had a lot to do
with that.I can`t think of any other reason.I remember watching that show
only because I was waiting for Jimbo to come on.

"Ron Harris" <ron...@stratuswave.net> wrote in message

gjw

Jan 28, 2001, 3:39:08 AM1/28/01
On 27 Jan 2001 12:14:04 GMT, evar...@aol.com (EVARNER1) wrote:

>Was it ever ruled if his death was an accident or a suicide? If suicide, were
>any reasons ever known?

It was a suicide. And he left a suicide note. It read: "I must end it.
There's no hope left. I'll be at peace. No one had anything to do with
this. My decision totally."

This from a young, talented guy with a seemingly bright future
ahead... Go figure.

I have a photo of Freddie's grave at
http://seeing-stars.com/ImagePages/FreddiePrinzesGravePhoto.shtml

His crypt is literally right next to the grave of actor George Raft
(see http://seeing-stars.com/ImagePages/GeorgeRaftsGravePhoto.shtml )

Gary

MadCow57

Jan 28, 2001, 4:55:23 AM1/28/01
>>Didn't Pete Duel of Alias Smith & Jones die somewhere around that timeframe ?
He was a
suicide as I recall, but did anyone ever figure out what Pete's problem was ?
<< -- Wing Nut

He was also in a series with Judy Carne and Rich Little, and spelled his name
"Deuel" at that time.

I, too, would like to know what happened to him.

Brad Ferguson

Jan 28, 2001, 5:45:51 PM1/28/01
In article <20010128045523...@ng-fx1.aol.com>, MadCow57
<madc...@aol.com> wrote:

> >>Didn't Pete Duel of Alias Smith & Jones die somewhere around that
> >>timeframe ?
> He was a
> suicide as I recall, but did anyone ever figure out what Pete's problem was
> ?
> << -- Wing Nut
>
> He was also in a series with Judy Carne and Rich Little, and
> spelled his name "Deuel" at that time.

Yes. He was Peter Deuel when he was in "Love on a Rooftop" in 1966
(that's the series you're thinking of, Dolores), and he changed it to
Pete Duel not long after that. I think I read once that he did so on
the advice of a numerologist.

> I, too, would like to know what happened to him.

He shot and killed himself on New Year's Eve, 1971, while "Alias Smith
& Jones" was still in production. Duel was 31 years old. His role was
given to an actor named Roger Davis, who been the series' narrator.
The show ran for another year after that.

MadCow57

Jan 28, 2001, 10:41:59 PM1/28/01
>>Yes. He was Peter Deuel when he was in "Love on a Rooftop" in 1966<< -- Brad
Ferguson

Thanks - I couldn't remember the name of the series, but I do recall thinking
"that new guy Rich Little is going to be big someday."

Brad Ferguson

Jan 28, 2001, 11:16:12 PM1/28/01
In article <280120011745518741%thir...@frXOXed.net>, Brad Ferguson
<thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote:

> His role was given to an actor named Roger Davis, who been the
> series' narrator. The show ran for another year after that.

That should have been "who'd been." Sorry.

Nell

Jan 29, 2001, 11:32:03 AM1/29/01
>===== Original Message From Brad Ferguson <thir...@frXOXed.net> =====
Well, I suppose you're forgiven this time for using improper grammar but
don't
do it again! lol