Norman Alden, the voice of Aquaman ... DROWNS?

That Derek

Jul 31, 2012, 2:37:47 PM7/31/12
It's ironic that the man who provided the voice of Aquaman on the
"Super-Friends" cartoons also played a character who famously drowned,
viz. "Coach Leroy Fedders" on "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman." I didn't
think Aqquie could drown in anything, let alone a bowl of Mrs.
Hartman's chicken soup.

Didn't Mr. Alden also play the father of Polly Thompson, the girl Chip
Douglas married on "My Three Sons"? Someone on this list pointed out
that the actress who played the same girl's mother, Doris Singleton,
died a day apart from Don "Robbie Douglas" Grady.

It's seems like 2012 is turning out to be a bad year for "My Three
Sons." Ditto "The Andy Griffith Show" (Andy, George Lindsey, sometime
player R. G. Armstrong, and, I think, one of the Dillard/"Darling"
Brothers). Both shows debuted in 1960 and were the breakthrough sitcom
hits of the 1960-61 season.

Does anybody remember the "Rowan & MArtin's Laugh-In" sketch where all
the deceased mates of the lead characters in single-parent TV shows
all met up in Heaven? I remember Johnnie Brown played the husband of
"Nurse Julia" and that some of the other heavenly deceased spouses
were Ken Berry's wife ("Mayberry RFD"), Mrs. Muir's husband, et.al.

busgal

Jul 31, 2012, 2:42:41 PM7/31/12
Doug Dillard

R H Draney

Jul 31, 2012, 2:52:08 PM7/31/12
That Derek filted:

>Does anybody remember the "Rowan & MArtin's Laugh-In" sketch where all
>the deceased mates of the lead characters in single-parent TV shows
>all met up in Heaven? I remember Johnnie Brown played the husband of
>"Nurse Julia" and that some of the other heavenly deceased spouses
>were Ken Berry's wife ("Mayberry RFD"), Mrs. Muir's husband, et.al.

The only such character actually appearing was "Julia's husband", who explained
the premise to Dan and Dick...then Dick Martin excused himself to strike up a
"courtship with Eddie's mother"....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Diner

Jul 31, 2012, 3:00:05 PM7/31/12
On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:37:47 PM UTC-4, That Derek wrote:
> It's ironic that the man who provided the voice of Aquaman on the "Super-Friends" cartoons also played a character who famously drowned, viz. "Coach Leroy Fedders" on "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman." I didn't think Aqquie could drown in anything, let alone a bowl of Mrs. Hartman's chicken soup.

Just so no one else is misled by the title of this thread: Mr. Alden died of natural causes, according to his family. He did not drown - a character he played did.

-Tim

Scott Brady

Jul 31, 2012, 3:08:26 PM7/31/12
On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:37:47 PM UTC-5, That Derek wrote:

> Didn't Mr. Alden also play the father of Polly Thompson, the girl Chip
> Douglas married on "My Three Sons"?

Thanks, I knew there was a reason his name was burned into my memory.

> Someone on this list pointed out that the actress who played the same girl's
> mother, Doris Singleton, died a day apart from Don "Robbie Douglas" Grady.

She also played the mother of the girl (Meredith MacRae) who married Mike.

R H Draney

Jul 31, 2012, 6:12:25 PM7/31/12
Diner filted:

>On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:37:47 PM UTC-4, That Derek wrote:
>> It's ironic that the man who provided the voice of Aquaman on the "Super-=
>Friends" cartoons also played a character who famously drowned, viz. "Coach=
> Leroy Fedders" on "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman." I didn't think Aqquie coul=
>d drown in anything, let alone a bowl of Mrs. Hartman's chicken soup.=20
>

>Just so no one else is misled by the title of this thread: Mr. Alden died o=
>f natural causes, according to his family. He did not drown - a character h=
>e played did.

Now, Carol Wayne, on the other hand....r
Message has been deleted

BobF

Jul 31, 2012, 10:20:59 PM7/31/12

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:06:44 -0500, "News" <m...@sb.net> shouted from the
highest rooftop:

> They said she would never drown because of her...youknows.

Her "youknows." Once you grow up you can actually use the real word,
Roy. It won't bite you ...

--

Subject: Re: OT Walking In The BUFF( only in Santa Cruz)

Some men wouldn't have been quite so 'gentle' and would have tried to kiss
her somewhere else--such as in his home.

- From "The Sayings of Roy"

R H Draney

Aug 1, 2012, 3:14:45 AM8/1/12
BobF filted:

>On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:06:44 -0500, "News" <m...@sb.net> shouted from the
>highest rooftop:
>
>> They said she would never drown because of her...youknows.
>
>Her "youknows." Once you grow up you can actually use the real word,
>Roy. It won't bite you ...

"Flotation devices"....r
Message has been deleted