Bruce Johnston Sr., Dies In Prison (Subject Of "At Close Range")

Bill Schenley

Aug 10, 2002, 5:05:40 PM8/10/02
GRATERFORD, Pa. (AP) --

One of suburban Philadelphia's most notorious murderers,
whose killing spree became the basis for the movie "At
Close Range," died of natural causes in prison, authorities
said.

Bruce Johnston Sr., 63, had been serving six life sentences
in Graterford Prison for murdering several of his criminal
cohorts and his son's girlfriend.

The Chester County slayings were the basis for the 1986
film starring Sean Penn and Christopher Walken, whose
character was based on Johnston.

Johnston was taken to Mercy Suburban General Hospital
on Monday for complications associated with liver disease
and was pronounced dead Wednesday, officials said.

Johnston and his brothers operated a multimillion-dollar
burglary ring in the 1970s, stealing everything from
cigarettes to tractors, authorities said.

In 1980, he and two brothers were convicted of killing three
young members of their crime ring and were sentenced to
life in prison. They were also convicted of killing the
girlfriend of Johnston's son, police said.

According to police, Bruce Johnston Jr., who survived the
attempt on his life, had begun talking about the gang
because he believed his father had raped his girlfriend,
police said. The girlfriend and the other victims were killed
so they wouldn't cooperate with authorities, police said.

Chester County District Attorney Joseph W. Carroll, who
called Johnston one of the county's "most notorious
criminals," said he had deserved the death penalty but that
was not available at the time.

"It's entirely appropriate that he died in prison," Carroll said.

Attorney Samuel C. Stretton, who has represented Johnston,
said he was sorry to hear about Johnston's death. He said
Johnston had spent years in the general population without
a problem but was unfairly put into solitary confinement
following the August 1999 escape of his brother, Norman,
who was recaptured after 18 days.

brigidnelson

Aug 11, 2002, 12:45:58 PM8/11/02
Bill Schenley wrote:
> GRATERFORD, Pa. (AP) --
>

> Bruce Johnston Sr., 63, had been serving six life sentences
> in Graterford Prison for murdering several of his criminal

> cohorts and his son's girlfriend. ^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
I can't quite remember, are there ten cohorts to a legion? And a legion
is comprised of what, 5000 - 6000 foot soldiers and cavalry? This guy
must have been pretty busy to acomplish such a murderous feat of
eliminating *several cohorts*. I'm surprised he was incarcerated at
all, you'd think law enforcement would appreciate the help.

brigid - leading my division.

Kentucky Wizard

Aug 11, 2002, 12:59:54 PM8/11/02

"brigidnelson" <irja...@teleport.com> wrote in message

> I can't quite remember, are there ten cohorts to a legion? And a legion
> is comprised of what, 5000 - 6000 foot soldiers and cavalry? This guy
> must have been pretty busy to acomplish such a murderous feat of
> eliminating *several cohorts*. I'm surprised he was incarcerated at
> all, you'd think law enforcement would appreciate the help.

Legion:
a regiment of the Roman army, the number of men composing which

differed at different times. It originally consisted of three

thousand men, but in the time of Christ consisted of six

thousand, exclusive of horsemen, who were in number a tenth of

the foot-men.

--
**************************
The Kentucky Wizard

**************************

Heinz W. Wiggeshoff

Aug 11, 2002, 1:06:11 PM8/11/02
The Grim Sweeper (t...@invalid.edu) writes:

> There's nothing better than learning something in a post! Thanks.
>
> Here's the word from dictionary.com:
>
> Usage Note: In Caesar's Gallic War a cohort was a unit of soldiers.
> There were 6 centuries (100 men) to a cohort, 10 cohorts to a legion
> (therefore 6,000 men). A century, then, would correspond to a company, a
> cohort to a battalion, and a legion to a regiment.
Pity the poor guy doing the payroll in Roman numerals.

Kentucky Wizard

Aug 11, 2002, 2:04:08 PM8/11/02

"Heinz W. Wiggeshoff" <ab...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

I made CCXXIIVI Roman bucks last week alone.

Heinz W. Wiggeshoff

Aug 11, 2002, 2:52:55 PM8/11/02
"Kentucky Wizard" (nuny...@getoffatyourtrain.stop) writes:

> I made CCXXIIVI Roman bucks last week alone.

Pity that you had to walk to the bank in one of those mini-skirts
that Charlton Heston wore in Ben Her to collect the dough.

Now show us the income tax calculation. (Remember, Romans didn't
have zero.)

Kentucky Wizard

Aug 11, 2002, 3:22:41 PM8/11/02

"Heinz W. Wiggeshoff" <ab...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

Sure they had zero. If a Roman with no money, he had zero, but he didn't
know it. Would you be so kind as to not keep peeking up my Roman skirt? I
would show you some income tax calculation in Roman numerals, but im afraid
the IRS would still try to find a way of getting more C-notes out of me for
it.

Brad Ferguson

Aug 11, 2002, 7:38:26 PM8/11/02
In article <aj6bq7$d58$1...@freenet9.carleton.ca>, Heinz W. Wiggeshoff
<ab...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote:

CCXXIIVI isn't a valid Roman number.

Kentucky Wizard

Aug 11, 2002, 8:20:40 PM8/11/02

"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

You are correct, it is indeed not......

The Bassist

Aug 12, 2002, 3:57:23 AM8/12/02
It's amazing that his son enjoyed so much success performing with the Beach
Boys and "writing songs" for Barry Manilow despite his upbringing.

"Bill Schenley" <stra...@erie.net> wrote in message

Robert R. Feigel

Aug 12, 2002, 5:59:11 AM8/12/02
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 00:57:23 -0700, "The Bassist"
<cliff...@directvinternet.com> wrote:

>It's amazing that his son enjoyed so much success performing with the Beach
>Boys and "writing songs" for Barry Manilow despite his upbringing.

Nice try, but if true, he would have fathered the 'Surfer's Stomp',
Bruce when he was around two years old.

********

The art & the artists of New Zealand's Tutukaka Coast: <http://www.earthsea.co.nz>

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.earthsea.co.nz/surfwriterintro1.htm>