My favorite Paul Newman movies no one is talking about

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 27, 2008, 1:10:08 PM9/27/08

Why aren't any of the TV spots mentioning:

Slapshot - joyously obscene, kind of a groundbreaking picture
in a way

Absence of Malice - brilliant indictment of the way the press
allows itself to be manipulated by "power
players" ... Newman's understated performance
was one of his best ever, I think

The Towering Inferno - oh, wait, I forgot; this movie sucked ass

Cars - what a surprise this picture was to me, and Paul Newman
was a really perfect bit of casting
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

danny burstein

Sep 27, 2008, 1:22:59 PM9/27/08
In <gblpdg$7l3$1...@reader1.panix.com> INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) writes:

>Why aren't any of the TV spots mentioning:

> Slapshot - joyously obscene, kind of a groundbreaking picture
> in a way

> Absence of Malice - brilliant indictment of the way the press
> allows itself to be manipulated by "power
> players" ... Newman's understated performance
> was one of his best ever, I think

But poor, poor, Sally Field

> The Towering Inferno - oh, wait, I forgot; this movie sucked ass

It was... a disaster!

> Cars - what a surprise this picture was to me, and Paul Newman
> was a really perfect bit of casting

I loved that film, too. The only annoyance (to me, at least)
was the race scene between Lightning McQueen (whose
name may, or may not, have been an homage to Steve McQueen)
and the railroad train.

That type of stunt is just so risky and messed up that
I was surprised to see it in a mainstream movie.

dan...@panix.com

Loki

Sep 27, 2008, 1:59:30 PM9/27/08
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:10:08 +0000 (UTC),
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

>Why aren't any of the TV spots mentioning:
>
> Slapshot - joyously obscene, kind of a groundbreaking picture
> in a way
>
> Absence of Malice - brilliant indictment of the way the press
> allows itself to be manipulated by "power
> players" ... Newman's understated performance
> was one of his best ever, I think
>
> The Towering Inferno - oh, wait, I forgot; this movie sucked ass
>
> Cars - what a surprise this picture was to me, and Paul Newman
> was a really perfect bit of casting

One of my favorites was the very under rated "Mr. and Mrs. Bridges.

I also love "Buffalo Bill and The Indians" and "Sometimes A Great
Notion."

Loki

Time Magazine Man Of The Year 1966 & 2006

mhead

Sep 27, 2008, 2:18:30 PM9/27/08

>Why aren't any of the TV spots mentioning:
>
> Slapshot - joyously obscene, kind of a groundbreaking picture
> in a way
>
> Absence of Malice - brilliant indictment of the way the press
> allows itself to be manipulated by "power
> players" ... Newman's understated performance
> was one of his best ever, I think
>
> The Towering Inferno - oh, wait, I forgot; this movie sucked ass
>
> Cars - what a surprise this picture was to me, and Paul Newman
> was a really perfect bit of casting

Nobody's Fool great cast, great movie.

Michael O'Connor

Sep 27, 2008, 2:24:27 PM9/27/08
On Sep 27, 1:10 pm, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
wrote:

> Why aren't any of the TV spots mentioning:
>
>     Slapshot - joyously obscene, kind of a groundbreaking picture
>                in a way
>
>     Absence of Malice - brilliant indictment of the way the press
>                         allows itself to be manipulated by "power
>                         players" ... Newman's understated performance
>                         was one of his best ever, I think

Paul Newman was terrific in Absence of Malice, but Wilfred Brimley
stole the film as the Justice Department official trying to sort out
the mess at the end. "The last time there was a leak like this, Noah
built himself an ark."

Laurie Mann

Sep 27, 2008, 3:12:49 PM9/27/08
> On Sep 27, 2:24 pm, "Michael O'Connor" <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 27, 1:10 pm, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
> >     Absence of Malice - brilliant indictment of the way the press
> >                         allows itself to be manipulated by "power
> >                         players" ... Newman's understated performance
> >                         was one of his best ever, I think
>
> Paul Newman was terrific in Absence of Malice, but Wilfred Brimley
> stole the film as the Justice Department official trying to sort out
> the mess at the end.  "The last time there was a leak like this, Noah
> built himself an ark."

Absolutely!

I didn't hate The Towering Inferno, but it was one of those
"everything including the kitchen sink" kind of movies.

I loved him in Nobody's Fool. Just showed how great he was.

He was interesting in Quintet, an obscure failure of a movie.

Laurie Mann
Dead People Server
http://www.deadpeople.info

MWB

Sep 27, 2008, 3:34:24 PM9/27/08
Road to Perdition.

GO PATRIOTS

Mark

Loki

Sep 27, 2008, 3:41:47 PM9/27/08
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:34:24 -0400, "MWB" <bic...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Road to Perdition.

That was actually one that I wanted to enjoy a lot more than I
actually did.

Loki

www.daveworldonline.com

MWB

Sep 27, 2008, 3:49:39 PM9/27/08

"Loki" <cubby...@aol.com> wrote in message

That was great movie.

GO RED SOX - CUBS

Mark

Loki

Sep 27, 2008, 3:58:02 PM9/27/08

I thought it was a good movie. However, by the time I saw it I had
been reading so many great reviews and being fans of Newman, Hanks,
Law, and Sam Mendes I was just hoping for something more.

It is possible that had I seen it with a completely clean slate going
in, my opinion may have been different.

Loki

To support our men and women overseas
who may not be getting packages from home,
you can get some ideas as to how to do so at:
http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm

It is a non profit, volunteer run organization.

I encourage everyone to check it out,
respond from the heart, and pass it
along to anyone you think may want
to remember our overseas military personnel,
throughout the year.

orpheus

Sep 27, 2008, 5:18:07 PM9/27/08
On Sep 27, 1:58 pm, Loki <cubby77...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:49:39 -0400, "MWB" <bick...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Loki" <cubby77...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> That was actually one that I wanted to enjoy a lot more than I
> >> actually did.
>
> >> Loki
>
> >>www.daveworldonline.com
>
> >That was great movie.
>
> I thought it was a good movie. However, by the time I saw it I had
> been reading so many great reviews and being fans of Newman, Hanks,
> Law, and Sam Mendes I was just hoping for something more.
>
> It is possible that had I seen it with a completely clean slate going
> in, my opinion may have been different.
>
> Loki
>
> To support our men and women overseas
> who may not be getting packages from home,
> you can get some ideas as to how to do so at:http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm
>
> It is a non profit, volunteer run organization.
>
> I encourage everyone to check it out,
> respond from the heart, and pass it
> along to anyone you think may want
> to remember our overseas military personnel,
> throughout the year.- Hide quoted text -

"Sometimes a Great Notion" was the first movie shown on HBO.

Barbara L Sherrill

Sep 27, 2008, 5:24:05 PM9/27/08

"MWB" <bic...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:gbm2o0$hka$1...@aioe.org...

He was good in it, but I hated the movie. It was extremely too dark for
me...

Barbara

Michael O'Connor

Sep 27, 2008, 5:27:40 PM9/27/08

I thought Quintet was surely Altman's worst film, a post-apocalyptic
movie without any sci-fi or special effects, or elaborate action
sequences, or people fighting over the remnants of the dead world.
I've watched it several times, and would love to find out the rules of
the Quintet game they played, but I also like that the rules of the
game were murky and incomplete. If Paul Newman and Robert Altman
couldn't make this film work, nobody could.

Loki

Sep 27, 2008, 5:40:22 PM9/27/08

Even though Altman was among my favorite directors, he was responsible
for some stinkers. Some so bad that I would regard them as worse than
Quintet.

Health comes to mind. Pret A Porter also.

Loki

Driving a small car to compensate for my oversized genetalia.

Loki

Sep 27, 2008, 5:41:17 PM9/27/08

That is a classic. One of my favorites.

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 27, 2008, 6:51:10 PM9/27/08

In the previous article, Michael O'Connor <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:
> Paul Newman was terrific in Absence of Malice, but Wilfred Brimley
> stole the film as the Justice Department official trying to sort out
> the mess at the end. "The last time there was a leak like this,
> Noah built himself an ark."

I loved Wilfred Brimley in that picture. "Wonderful thing, a sub-
peenie." Thinking back, I guess it speaks very well of Newman that
he let himself be so shamelessly upstaged in those scenes.

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 27, 2008, 6:52:30 PM9/27/08

In the previous article, MWB <bic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Road to Perdition.

I liked it well enough, and might even have put it on my list, except
that I did see a clip from it in one of CNN's (I think) obit segments

Michael O'Connor

Sep 27, 2008, 7:03:57 PM9/27/08

> > Paul Newman was terrific in Absence of Malice, but Wilfred Brimley
> > stole the film as the Justice Department official trying to sort out
> > the mess at the end.  "The last time there was a leak like this,
> > Noah built himself an ark."
>
> I loved Wilfred Brimley in that picture.  "Wonderful thing, a sub-
> peenie."  Thinking back, I guess it speaks very well of Newman that
> he let himself be so shamelessly upstaged in those scenes.

And also at that time Wilfred Brimley had done some movies and TV but
was relatively unknown, and that small role made him famous and made
him one of top character actors in Hollywood. I remember seeing
Absence of Malice and watching the credits to find out who the hell
that guy was, and wondering why he hadn't been cutting his teeth in
meaty character roles earlier.

Jim Beaver

Sep 27, 2008, 7:08:27 PM9/27/08

"J.D. Baldwin" <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote in message

> In the previous article, Michael O'Connor <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Paul Newman was terrific in Absence of Malice, but Wilfred Brimley
>> stole the film as the Justice Department official trying to sort out
>> the mess at the end. "The last time there was a leak like this,
>> Noah built himself an ark."
>
> I loved Wilfred Brimley in that picture. "Wonderful thing, a sub-
> peenie." Thinking back, I guess it speaks very well of Newman that
> he let himself be so shamelessly upstaged in those scenes.

FWIW, Brimley's first name, for some unknown reason, is Wilford, not
Wilfred.

Has a pretty good rep in Hollywood as a prick. I don't know. Never met
him. But stories abound.

Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Sep 27, 2008, 7:10:52 PM9/27/08

"Loki" <cubby...@aol.com> wrote in message

Some great stuff in that one. Newman's final scene with Richard Jaeckel (in
an Oscar-nominated performance) is amazing. So are Henry Fonda's last
couple of scenes.

Jim Beaver

Jellore

Sep 27, 2008, 7:38:35 PM9/27/08
On Sep 28, 7:24 am, "Barbara L Sherrill"
<barbaralsherr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> "MWB" <bick...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:gbm2o0$hka$1...@aioe.org...
>
> > "Loki" <cubby77...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> That was actually one that I wanted to enjoy a lot more than I
> >> actually did.
>
> >> Loki
>
> >>www.daveworldonline.com
>
> > That was great movie.
>
> > GO RED SOX - CUBS
>
> > Mark
>
> He was good in it, but I hated the movie. It was extremely too dark for
> me...
>
> Barbara

It was dark novel set in a dark place dealing with dark issues,
written by a man who spent time in the darkness, and I reckon the
movie did a pretty good job of reflecting this. Newman was excellent.

Charlene

Sep 27, 2008, 7:52:48 PM9/27/08
On Sep 27, 6:08 pm, "Jim Beaver" <jumble...@prodigy.spam> wrote:
> "J.D. Baldwin" <INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid> wrote in message

> > In the previous article, Michael O'Connor <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
> >> Paul Newman was terrific in Absence of Malice, but Wilfred Brimley
> >> stole the film as the Justice Department official trying to sort out
> >> the mess at the end.  "The last time there was a leak like this,
> >> Noah built himself an ark."
>
> > I loved Wilfred Brimley in that picture.  "Wonderful thing, a sub-
> > peenie."  Thinking back, I guess it speaks very well of Newman that
> > he let himself be so shamelessly upstaged in those scenes.
>
> FWIW, Brimley's first name, for some unknown reason, is Wilford, not
> Wilfred.

It might have been a family surname (say, the mother's maiden name)
given as a middle name - his birth name is Allen Wilford Brimley.
Wilford is a relatively common Leicestershire surname.

wd44

Starfish

Sep 27, 2008, 7:42:48 PM9/27/08
Wilford Brimley's birthday is today; he's 74. I would have guessed him
to be much older than that.

Laurie Mann

Sep 27, 2008, 8:05:38 PM9/27/08
On Sep 27, 7:42 pm, starfisher...@webtv.net (Starfish) wrote:
> Wilford Brimley's birthday is today; he's 74. I would have guessed him
> to be much older than that.

He's the reverse of Newman - he's looked very old since he was a
fairly young man. Kind of like Walter Brennan.

Michael O'Connor

Sep 27, 2008, 8:07:47 PM9/27/08

> > I loved Wilfred Brimley in that picture.  "Wonderful thing, a sub-
> > peenie."  Thinking back, I guess it speaks very well of Newman that
> > he let himself be so shamelessly upstaged in those scenes.
>
> FWIW, Brimley's first name, for some unknown reason, is Wilford, not
> Wilfred.
>
> Has a pretty good rep in Hollywood as a prick.  I don't know.  Never met
> him.  But stories abound.

I was checking out his IMDB entry and never knew Wilford Brimley was
once a bodyguard for Howard Hughes, and was at one point in his life a
blacksmith. I've read where he was one of the stuntmen in True Grit,
but it doesn't show up in his IMDB entry.

Loki

Sep 27, 2008, 8:44:47 PM9/27/08

Or the classic example, Jimmy Durante.

Loki

"We, we do, it's very important when you consider even
national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his
head and comes into the airspace of the United States of
America, where, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right
over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out
to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very
powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there.
They are right next to, to our state."
-Sarah Palin describing her forign policy experience to Katie
Couric

R H Draney

Sep 27, 2008, 9:27:42 PM9/27/08
MWB filted:

>Road to Perdition.

As long as we're making lists:

Blaze
Fat Man and Little Boy

....r

--
Little-known fact: About 2% of the famous
quotations credited to "Anonymous" were actually

Michael O'Connor

Sep 27, 2008, 9:42:16 PM9/27/08
I thought Newman was great in The Hudsucker Proxy; it was perhaps the
only time he got to play a comedic villain.

Chef Juke

Sep 27, 2008, 10:54:33 PM9/27/08
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:41:17 -0700, Loki <cubby...@aol.com> wrote:

>>"Sometimes a Great Notion" was the first movie shown on HBO.
>
>That is a classic. One of my favorites.
>
>Loki

I have a still of Paul Newman from that movie given to me by Ken
Kesey.

My two favorite scenes from that movie are the one of Newman
destroying a desk with a chainsaw and the painful one of Joeben stuck
under the log with the river rising. Knowing that the JoeBen
character was based somewhat on Ken's brother, Chuck (thankfully
off-topic) who is one of the most wonderful humans on the planet and
is one of my dearest friends, somehow made that scene even harder to
watch...but is it riveting.

Ken and his pals told a number of stories of when they went to visit
the set of "Sometimes A Great Notion" which was filmed here in Oregon.
One of Keseys fellow Pranksters, George Walker was a kindred spirit to
Newman in that they both were major car enthusiasts...apparently one
day after shooting was done they had gone for a meal and a beverage
and on the way back George and Paul got into a bit of a race, Paul on
a motorcycle and George in his psychedeliicly painted Lotus elan
(http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/elan-larrys/Elanlarl.htm). As I heard
the race was memorable, with lots of twist, turns and close calls and
at this moment I can't quite remember who won....

When they spoke of him, Ken and all of the pranksters only had good to
say of Newman....that he was a really good guy and head and shoulders
above a number of the other hollywoodians they have known...

Newman contributed to the fund for the Kesey Statue which is now in
"Kesey Square" in downtown Eugene:
http://www.intrepidtrips.com/bookventure4_eugene.html

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"
http://www.chefjuke.com

peterpuck86

Sep 28, 2008, 2:23:21 PM9/28/08
wrote:
> Why aren't any of the TV spots mentioning:
>
>     Slapshot - joyously obscene, kind of a groundbreaking picture
>                in a way

Slapshot is awesome!...................P

teleflora

Sep 28, 2008, 4:22:17 PM9/28/08
I've loved Wilford Brimley in everything I've ever seen him in. Same with
the late Richard Farnsworth.

Cindy

Bob Feigel

Sep 28, 2008, 5:15:51 PM9/28/08
[Default] On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:10:08 +0000 (UTC),
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) magnanimously
proffered:

>Why aren't any of the TV spots mentioning:

Nor have any of the articles I've read or radio/television reports
mentioned one of my favourite films: Sweet BIrd of Youth with Newman
as Chance Wayne, Ed Begley as Boss Finely, Rip Torn as Tom Finely and
Geraldine Page as Heavenly Finely.

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Sysyphus' Sister

Sep 28, 2008, 7:54:17 PM9/28/08
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:15:51 +1300, Bob Feigel
<b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:

>[Default] On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:10:08 +0000 (UTC),
>INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) magnanimously
>proffered:
>
>>Why aren't any of the TV spots mentioning:
>
>Nor have any of the articles I've read or radio/television reports
>mentioned one of my favourite films: Sweet BIrd of Youth with Newman
>as Chance Wayne, Ed Begley as Boss Finely, Rip Torn as Tom Finely and
>Geraldine Page as Heavenly Finely.

Seconded.

Sysyphus' Sister

Message has been deleted