Star Trek Deaths in 2012

Chuck

Jan 24, 2013, 3:35:31 PM1/24/13
Sorry for being so late this year; things have been crazy lately.
Anyway, here it is: my dedication to those veterans of the STAR TREK
franchise who passed away in 2012.

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, the highly-anticipated sequel to 2009's STAR
TREK, warps into theaters on May 17th. Right now, however, it's time to
look back at those previous contributors to the STAR TREK universe who
sadly passed away last year.

As always, the following list is in alphabetical order by last name. If
you notice any mistakes or omissions, please let me know.

IAN ABERCROMBIE (77); died January 26
Actor; guest-starred in two STAR TREK: VOYAGER episodes, "Someone to
Watch Over Me" (as Abbot) and "Spirit Folk" (as Milo). He also provided
ADR voiceover work for the character on Robert Picard in the NEXT
GENERATION episode "Family." He is perhaps best remembered for his role
as Mr. Pitt on SEINFELD and is also known for playing Prof. Crumbs on
Disney Channel's WIZARDS OF WAVERLY PLACE and butler Alfred Pennyworth
on the short-lived action-drama series BIRDS OF PREY. In addition, he
was the voice of Chancellor Palpatine and Darth Sidious in the 2008
animated film STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS and the subsequent TV series of
the same name. His early film work included uncredited roles in VON
RYAN'S EXPRESS, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY?;
later film credits include WARLOCK, ARMY OF DARKNESS, ADDAMS FAMILY
VALUES, THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK, WILD WILD WEST, David Lynch's
INLAND EMPIRE and a voice in RANGO.

PHILLIP RICHARD ALLEN (72); died March 1
Actor; played the ill-fated Captain J.T. Esteban in STAR TREK III: THE
SEARCH FOR SPOCK. He also had roles in such films and made-for-TV movies
as MIDWAY, THE ONION FIELD, THE LADY IN RED and MOMMIE DEAREST. He was
seen in numerous made-for-TV movies, as well, most notably the original
HELTER SKELTER in 1976. Among the TV series on which he appeared are
POLICE STORY, THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, THE BOB NEWHART SHOW, KOJAK,
LOU GRANT, HAPPY DAYS, DALLAS, MORK & MINDY, BENSON, MATLOCK, 21 JUMP
STREET and LAW & ORDER.

ROSEMARY BAIO YAROS (75); died August 31
Actress and teacher; appeared as the widow in the "Elementary, Dear
Data" episode of STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION. She was a teacher in
the performing arts department at Damien High School in La Verne,
California. No other acting credits are known.

BUNDY CHANOCK (58); died October 13
Set medic on STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN and STAR TREK IV: THE
VOYAGE HOME. He was set medic on over 250 other films, including BODY
HEAT, THE OUTSIDERS, FRIGHT NIGHT, DIRTY DANCING, ROBOCOP, WILLOW,
HEATHERS, MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO, THE ADDAMS FAMILY, ARMY OF DARKNESS, THE
SANDLOT, MENACE II SOCIETY, THE ROCK and TITANIC. He also worked on many
films and TV shows as a driver or transportation coordinator and was an
expert in communications devices.

BIFF ELLIOT (89); died August 15
Actor; appeared as Schmitter in the original STAR TREK series episode
"The Devil in the Dark." He starred as Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer in
the 1953 film version of I, THE JURY and later had roles in such films
as HOUSE OF BAMBOO, THE ENEMY BELOW, PORK CHOP HILL and PT 109. He
appeared in KOTCH, the only film directed by actor Jack Lemmon, after
which he had roles in four films starring Lemmon: SAVE THE TIGER, Billy
Wilder's THE FRONT PAGE, the 1974 short WEDNESDAY and Blake Edwards'
THAT'S LIFE! In addition to STAR TREK, he appeared on many other TV
programs, including ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, PERRY MASON, 77 SUNSET
STRIP, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE and BONANZA.

TONY EPPER (73); died July 21
Veteran stuntman and actor; played a drunken Klingon in the STAR TREK:
DEEP SPACE NINE episode "Apocalypse Rising." He performed stunts in
countless films, including SPARTACUS, PLANET OF THE APES, THE WILD
BUNCH, BLAZING SADDLES, THE TOWERING INFERNO, 1941, THE SWORD AND THE
SORCERER, BEVERLY HILLS COP, LETHAL WEAPON 2 and 3, THELMA & LOUISE,
PATRIOT GAMES, WATERWORLD, THE ROCK and CON AIR. He also had small,
usually stunt-oriented parts in such films as THE BEASTMASTER, THE
HITCHER, CHRISTMAS VACATION and DICK TRACY, and TV shows including THE
GREEN HORNET, BATMAN, THE ROCKFORD FILES and THE A-TEAM.

RALPH FERRARO (82); died April 3
Orchestrator and composer; orchestrated Leonard Rosenman's Oscar-
nominated music for STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME. He was Rosenman's
orchestrator on several other films, including BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE
APES, A MAN CALLED HORSE, BOUND FOR GLORY and ROBOCOP 2. He more
frequently collaborated with composer Randy Edelman, orchestrating
Edelman's scores for GETTYSBURG, WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING, BILLY MADISON,
DRAGONHEART, SHANGHAI NOON, SHANGHAI KNIGHTS and xXx, among many other
films. He was also an orchestrator on THE WIZ and MASTERS OF THE
UNIVERSE and composed his own scores for such films as FLESH GORDON and
the U.S. release of SHE BEAST.

JOHN FRITH (62); died April 6
Electrical technician for Associates and Ferren's live-action effects
unit on STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER. He began working at Associates
and Ferren in 1984 and did visual effects work for them on other films
such as LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS and THE MANHATTAN PROJECT. When the
company was absorbed into Walt Disney Imagineering, Frith stayed on as a
Disney "Imagineer." He more recently provided technical support on such
films as GLADIATOR and PROMETHEUS.

JOEL GOLDSMITH (54); died April 29
Composer and former sound man; created sound effects for STAR TREK: THE
MOTION PICTURE and composed additional music for STAR TREK: FIRST
CONTACT. He was the son of the composer of both those films, the
legendary Jerry Goldsmith. The younger Goldsmith composed several movies
himself, including THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS, MOON 44, SHILOH, KULL THE
CONQUEROR and DIAMONDS. He was best known, however, for his Emmy-
nominated work for the STARGATE television franchise, which included the
theme music for all three STARGATE shows (SG-1, STARGATE: ATLANTIS and
SGU).

MORGAN JONES (83); died January 13
Actor; played Colonel Jack Nesvig in the original STAR TREK series
episode "Assignment: Earth." He made appearances on many other
television series, including DRAGNET, WAGON TRAIN, THE TWILIGHT ZONE,
GUNSMOKE, MANNIX, IRONSIDE, BEWITCHED and MURDER, SHE WROTE. He also
played Crewman Nichols in the acclaimed 1956 sci-fi classic FORBIDDEN
PLANET and co-starred in Roger Corman's cult films APACHE WOMAN and NOT
OF THIS EARTH. Other films in which he appeared include SINGIN' IN THE
RAIN, FEAR STRIKES OUT, NEVER SO FEW and BELLS ARE RINGING.

LLOYD KINO (93); died July 21
Actor; played Wu in the original STAR TREK series episode "The Omega
Glory." Other television shows on which he appeared included MCHALE'S
NAVY, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW, M*A*S*H, THE ODD
COUPLE, HAPPY DAYS, MORK & MINDY, MAGNUM, P.I., CSI: CRIME SCENE
INVESTIGATION and NCIS. He can also be seen in such films as THE OUTLAWS
IS COMING, MIDWAY, THE LAST TYCOON, HAMMETT, MORTAL KOMBAT, THE CABLE
GUY, 1998's GODZILLA and MISS CONGENIALITY 2: ARMED AND FABULOUS.

WINRICH KOLBE (71); died in September
Television director and producer; directed 16 episodes of STAR TREK: THE
NEXT GENERATION (including the series finale, "All Good Things�"), 13
episodes of STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE, 18 episodes of STAR TREK:
VOYAGER (including the pilot, "Caretaker") and the "Silent Enemy"
episode of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE. He directed for many other television
shows, including multiple episodes of MAGNUM, P.I., KNIGHT RIDER,
SCARECROW AND MRS. KING, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, SPENSER: FOR HIRE,
T.J. HOOKER, HUNTER, MILLENNIUM and 24.

LANCE LeGAULT (77); died September 10
Actor; played Captain K'Temoc in the STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION
episode "The Emissary." He was perhaps best known for his recurring
television roles as Colonel Buck Green on MAGNUM, P.I. and Colonel
Roderick Decker on THE A-TEAM. He began his screen career in the 1960s
with bit parts in a quartet of Elvis Presley movies (GIRLS! GIRLS!
GIRLS!, KISSIN' COUSINS, VIVA LAS VEGAS and ROUSTABOUT); his subsequent
film credits included Michael Crichton's COMA, the comedy hit STRIPES,
the first IRON EAGLE, 1997's MORTAL KOBAT: ANNIHILATION and a voice-over
role in Disney's HOME ON THE RANGE.

RICHARD LYNCH (72); died June 19
Actor; portrayed Arctus Baran in the "Gambit" two-parter of STAR TREK:
THE NEXT GENERATION. He made his film debut in the 1973 drama SCARECROW
but became known for acting in numerous horror and science fiction
projects. Among these projects were the films GOD TOLD ME TO, THE
FORMULA, THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER, BAD DREAMS, PUPPET MASTER III:
TOULON'S REVENGE, NECROMONICON: BOOK OF DEAD and the 2007 remake of
HALLOWEEN. Television series on which he appeared include BATTLESTAR
GALACTICA, BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY, CHARLIE'S ANGELS, THE FALL
GUY, THE A-TEAM, AIRWOLF, SIX FEET UNDER, CHARMED and MURDER, SHE WROTE.

RALPH McQUARRIE (82); died March 3
Conceptual artist and illustrator; served as visual consultant and
designer on STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME and created designs for the
abandoned 1977 film STAR TREK: PLANET OF THE TITANS. He was best known,
however, for his pivotal role in creating the look of the original STAR
WARS trilogy. He designed or aided in the design of many defining
elements of STAR WARS, from landscapes and droids to the appearances of
such iconic characters as Darth Vader, Chewbacca and Boba Fett. He also
worked on such films as CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, RAIDERS OF
THE LOST ARK, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL and COCOON, the latter of which
earned him a shared Oscar for Best Visual Effects.

GEORGE MURDOCK (81); died April 30
Actor; portrayed the malevolent being that was mistaken for God in STAR
TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER and later played Admiral J.P. Hanson in STAR
TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION's "The Best of Both Worlds, Part I" and "Part
II." His other TV acting credits included the recurring roles of Lt. Ben
Scanlon on BARNEY MILLER, Dr. Salik on the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
and the Second Elder on THE X-FILES. He reprised the latter role in the
1998 X-FILES movie and also acted in such films as THE MACK, EARTHQUAKE,
BREAKER! BREAKER!, SHOOT THE MOON, THE SWORD AND THE SORCEROR,
TIMESCAPE, THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, ORANGE COUNTY and MAN IN THE CHAIR.

JAMES R. RENFRO (58); died January 22
Gaffer and electrician; was a lighting technician on STAR TREK
GENERATIONS. He also worked on such television shows as GOOD TIMES and
THE NANNY.

WARREN STEVENS (92); died March 27
Actor; portrayed Rojan in the original STAR WARS episode "By Any Other
Name." He had supporting roles in dozens of films, most notably that of
"Doc" Ostrow in the sci-fi classic FORBIDDEN PLANET. His other film
credits include THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA, PHONE CALL FROM A STRANGER,NO
NAME ON THE BULLET, 40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE, MADAME X, MADIGAN and STROKER
ACE. His stage credits include the several Broadway productions during
the late 1940s, most notably DETECTIVE STORY in 1949. In addition to
STAR TREK, other television shows on which he appeared include GUNSMOKE,
WAGON TRAIN, THE UNTOUCHABLES, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, BONANZA, MISSION:
IMPOSSIBLE, IRONSIDE, M*A*S*H, FALCON CREST and ER.

JESCO VON PUTTKAMER (79); died December 27
Aerospace engineer and senior NASA manager; was the special science
advisor on STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE. Among his contributions to the
film were the hypothetical theory behind the faster-than-light space
warp drive and the slogan "The Human Adventure is Just Beginning." At
NASA, he contributed to the Apollo moon landing in 1969 and helped to
rescue Skylab following its near-disastrous launch in 1973, among other
achievements. From 2009 until his death, he was the management leader of
the International Space Station programs at NASA Headquarters in
Washington, D.C.

GARRY WALBERG (90); died March 27
Actor; played Commander Hansen in the classic "Balance of Terror"
episode of the original STAR TREK series. He was best known for his
roles as Speed on the sitcom THE ODD COUPLE and as Lt. Frank Monahan on
the drama QUINCY, M.E., both of which starred the late Jack Klugman. He
also played Sgt. Edward Goddard on the drama series PEYTON PLACE and
made multiple appearances on such shows as GUNSMOKE and THE FUGITIVE.
His film credits include THEY CALL ME MISTER TIBBS! and its follow-up,
THE ORGANIZATION (both sequels to IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT), as well as
CHARRO!, THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, TWO-MINUTE WARNING, MACARTHUR and the
1976 remake of KING KONG.

CHARLES WASHBURN (73); died April 13
Second Assistant Director on the original STAR TREK series (for which he
became known as "Charlie Star Trek") and First Assistant Director on the
first season of STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION. He was the first
African-American to apply to and graduate from the Director's Guild of
America trainee program. With STAR TREK, he became the first African-
American to work as an assistant director in Hollywood. He later served
as an assistant director on such films as BROTHER JOHN, DIRTY HARRY,
SOUNDER, LADY SINGS THE BLUES and UPTOWN SATURDAY NIGHT, as well as the
television series VEGA$.

WILLIAM WINDOM (88); died August 16
Actor; portrayed Commodore Matt Decker in the original STAR TREK series
episode "The Doomsday Machine." He is perhaps best known for his
recurring role as Dr. Seth Hazlitt on the series MURDER, SHE WROTE. He
is also remembered for playing Congressman Glen Morley on ABC's 1963-
1966 comedy THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER and for his Emmy-winning work as star
of the short-lived NBC sitcom MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT. He made guest
appearances on many TV shows besides STAR TREK, including THE TWILIGHT
ZONE, GUNSMOKE, THE FUGITIVE, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, BONANZA, HAWAII FIVE-
O, ALL IN THE FAMILY, THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO, THE LOVE BOAT,
DALLAS, THE A-TEAM, THE FACTS OF LIFE, ST. ELSEWHERE, MAGNUM, P.I., L.A.
LAW, MURPHY BROWN and ALLY MCBEAL. He performed in several Broadway and
off-Broadway plays between 1946 and 1960 and made his feature film
acting debut as the prosecutor in the 1962 classic TO KILL A
MOCKINGBIRD. His subsequent film credits include THE AMERICANIZATION OF
EMILY, HOUR OF THE GUN, BREWSTER MCCLOUD, ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE
APES, SOMMERSBY, TRUE CRIME and the John Hughes comedies PLANES, TRAINS
& AUTOMOBILES and SHE'S HAVING A BABY.

ADAM YAUCH a.k.a. MCA (47); died May 4
Rapper, musician, songwriter and founding member of influential hip-hop
group Beastie Boys, whose hit 1994 song "Sabotage" was used in 2009's
STAR TREK. Yauch and his band mates sold over 40 million albums
worldwide, seven of which went platinum or better, making them the
biggest-selling rap group since 1991. The group has won three Grammy
Awards and became only the third rap act inducted into the Rock and Roll
Hall of Fame in April 2012. Yauch was also a filmmaker and co-founder of
the independent film distribution company Oscilloscope Laboratories,
which has released such films as WENDY AND LUCY, BURMA VJ, THE
MESSENGER, THE MAID (LA NANA), EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP, KILLER OF
SHEEP, I AM CUBA and WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN.

MATTHEW YURICICH (89); died May 28
Veteran visual effects and matte artist; created the matte paintings for
STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE. He began his film career in the 1950s,
providing matte art for such classics as THE ROBE, SEVEN BRIDES FOR
SEVEN BROTHERS, FORBIDDEN PLANET, NORTH BY NORTHWEST and BEN-HUR. In the
late 1970s, he shared a Special Achievement Academy Award for the visual
effects of LOGAN'S RUN and an Best Visual Effects Oscar nomination for
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND. He was the chief matte artist on
several popular films in the 1980s, including GHOSTBUSTERS, 2010, FRIGHT
NIGHT, THE MONSTER SQUAD and DIE HARD. His artistry can also be seen in
such films as THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, THE
TOWERING INFERNO, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, THE CHINA SYNDROME, BLADE RUNNER,
FIELD OF DREAMS and DANCES WITH WOLVES.

tr...@iwvisp.com

Jan 24, 2013, 5:19:09 PM1/24/13
> NEXT GENERATION (including the series finale, "All Good Things�"), 13
Chuck,

Thanks for this. I am only a mild Star Trek fan but find these lists
very interesting, reviewing the other productions in which these folks
were involved.

Ray Arthur

MWB

Jan 24, 2013, 7:25:50 PM1/24/13
On 1/24/2013 3:35 PM, Chuck wrote:
> WARREN STEVENS (92); died March 27
> Actor; portrayed Rojan in the original STAR WARS episode "By Any Other
> Name."

Episode IV.....And people ask if we read the obits.

GO ALT.OBITUARIES

Mark

MWB

Jan 24, 2013, 7:33:07 PM1/24/13

Chuck

Jan 24, 2013, 11:34:13 PM1/24/13
MWB <bic...@gmail.com> wrote in news:kdsjeh$dja$1...@dont-email.me:
Oh... uh, heh... I was just, um, making sure you were paying attention.
Yeah, that's it. We'll go with that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go punch myself.

Chuck

Jan 24, 2013, 11:48:27 PM1/24/13
Chuck <trekke...@hotmail.com> wrote in

*Correction*

> WARREN STEVENS (92); died March 27
> Actor; portrayed Rojan in the original STAR WARS episode "By Any Other
> Name."

Obviously this was supposed to read as follows:

WARREN STEVENS (92); died March 27
Actor; portrayed Rojan in the original STAR TREK series episode "By Any
Other Name."

----

Sorry about that. I think I wrote Stevens' tribute right after McQuarrie's,
so I had STAR WARS on the brain.

David Carson

Jan 25, 2013, 12:06:02 AM1/25/13
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 04:34:13 +0000 (UTC), Chuck
<trekke...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go punch myself.

I used to have a large poster of the Enterprise-D on the wall of my
office. It was one of those intricate, ultra-nerdy cutaway renderings
showing the locations of the phasers, turbolifts, holodecks, shuttle bays,
cargo bays, thrusters, arboretum, etc. - the kind of thing you could study
for hours. Sometimes visitors to my office would admire it, looking at it
for a long time in amazement. Of course, I would smile with pride. Then
they would go and say something like "May the force be with you!" or
"Luke! [Inhale] I am your father!" Upon that, my face would fall and I
would abruptly tell them to get out of my office.

David Carson

MWB

Jan 25, 2013, 12:41:00 AM1/25/13
Now don't go beating yourself up over a silly TYPO.

Let me tell you the rules here at alt.obituaries

An inexcusable TYPO aint accepted here.

GOD HELP you if you misspell a word here.

There's no name calling

No cussing

No smoking

No lying

No bull shitting

No loitering

No weapons that make holes in people

No dieing

GO CHUCK

Mark

E19...@aol.com

Jan 25, 2013, 1:46:10 AM1/25/13
It is still just a fucking show.

R H Draney

Jan 25, 2013, 3:40:27 AM1/25/13
E19...@aol.com filted:

>It is still just a fucking show.

Only by subtle implication....

Now, stuff like 90210 and Sex in the City...those really *are* fucking
shows....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Brian Watson

Jan 25, 2013, 4:08:56 AM1/25/13

<E19...@aol.com> wrote in message
> It is still just a fucking show.

You think THAT's a fucking show?

Huh, you should see some of the adult channels... (or maybe you do?)

--
Brian

Chuck

Jan 25, 2013, 9:35:16 AM1/25/13
E19...@aol.com wrote in news:62342ee8-6252-4086-b0f5-
c912bb...@googlegroups.com:

> It is still just a fucking show.

Five fucking shows (six if you count the fucking animated series) and
twelve fucking movies, spanning 46 fucking years.

Brian Watson

Jan 25, 2013, 9:47:04 AM1/25/13

"Chuck" <trekke...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
And even more fucking years if you add up all the fucking stardates.

Any fucking way you look at it, that IS a lot of fucking.

R H Draney

Jan 25, 2013, 3:17:48 PM1/25/13
Brian Watson filted:

>"Chuck" <trekke...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> E19...@aol.com wrote in news:62342ee8-6252-4086-b0f5-
>> c912bb...@googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> It is still just a fucking show.
>>
>> Five fucking shows (six if you count the fucking animated series) and
>> twelve fucking movies, spanning 46 fucking years.
>
>And even more fucking years if you add up all the fucking stardates.
>
>Any fucking way you look at it, that IS a lot of fucking.

Gee, no wonder I'm thirsty....r

Brigid Nelson

Jan 25, 2013, 3:54:29 PM1/25/13
As well you should. Great screening tool though, when you think about it.

brigid

E19...@aol.com

Jan 26, 2013, 12:49:06 AM1/26/13
I will reiterate, it is a fucking show, a fucking tv show. It will never happen. Get the fuck over it

Chuck

Jan 26, 2013, 8:27:37 AM1/26/13
E19...@aol.com wrote in

> I will reiterate, it is a fucking show, a fucking tv show. It will
> never happen. Get the fuck over it

And I will reiterate, it is five fucking shows, five fucking TV shows, and
twelve fucking movies. Seriously, though, get the fuck over yourself.

All due fucking respect.

Somebody

Jan 26, 2013, 8:42:02 AM1/26/13
"Chuck" <trekke...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQwXOCKNLY

Chuck

Jan 26, 2013, 8:50:35 AM1/26/13
> I will reiterate, it is a fucking show, a fucking tv show. It will
> never happen. Get the fuck over it

For the record, most "fucking tv show[s]" don't influence modern technology
or countless numbers of scientists and engineers. STAR TREK, in all of its
multiple incarnations, has done just that. It's true that much of what is
shown in the series and movies will never happen -- no shit. The franchise
has, however, influenced thousands of people to see to it that our future
is as close as possible to the positive one portrayed. Many of the gadgets
we use now were directly inspired by what was seen on the series, and many
others continue to be in development. Labeling it merely as "a fucking tv
show" would mean belittling or outright disregarding its cultrual and
historical impact. To conclude, STAR TREK is clearly much more than "a
fucking show" -- get the fuck over it.

End of line.

E19...@aol.com

Jan 26, 2013, 11:12:56 AM1/26/13
On Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:50:35 AM UTC-5, Chuck wrote:
> End of line.

You must be upset that Captain Jerk did not come to visit you this week
Message has been deleted

David Carson

Jan 26, 2013, 5:53:31 PM1/26/13
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 13:50:35 +0000 (UTC), Chuck
<trekke...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>For the record, most "fucking tv show[s]" don't influence modern technology
>or countless numbers of scientists and engineers. STAR TREK, in all of its
>multiple incarnations, has done just that. It's true that much of what is
>shown in the series and movies will never happen -- no shit. The franchise
>has, however, influenced thousands of people to see to it that our future
>is as close as possible to the positive one portrayed. Many of the gadgets
>we use now were directly inspired by what was seen on the series, and many
>others continue to be in development. Labeling it merely as "a fucking tv
>show" would mean belittling or outright disregarding its cultrual and
>historical impact. To conclude, STAR TREK is clearly much more than "a
>fucking show" -- get the fuck over it.
>
>End of line.

Don't let this Ferengi get to you. He's never heard of a cell phone or a
tablet computer. He thinks one is what prisoners talk to each other on,
and the other is what a pharmacist uses to measure drugs.

E19...@aol.com

Jan 26, 2013, 10:27:00 PM1/26/13
to David Carson
On Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:53:31 PM UTC-5, David Carson wrote:

> Don't let this Ferengi get to you.

I am not a ferengi, I do not live in a fantasy world.

R H Draney

Jan 26, 2013, 11:46:28 PM1/26/13
E19...@aol.com filted:

>On Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:53:31 PM UTC-5, David Carson wrote:
>

>> Don't let this Ferengi get to you.
>
>I am not a ferengi, I do not live in a fantasy world.

Which Rule of Acquisition is that?...r

E19...@aol.com

Jan 27, 2013, 12:19:39 AM1/27/13
On Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:46:28 PM UTC-5, R H Draney wrote:

> >I am not a ferengi, I do not live in a fantasy world.

> Which Rule of Acquisition is that?...r

No clue. I live in reality

David Carson

Jan 27, 2013, 5:56:19 PM1/27/13
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 21:19:39 -0800 (PST), E19...@aol.com wrote:

>No clue. I live in reality

The reality you live in now has been improved by the imagination of those
who came before you.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Brad Ferguson

Jan 28, 2013, 1:14:36 PM1/28/13
In article <XnsA1529E9BE4A...@88.198.244.100>, Chuck
<trekke...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> LLOYD KINO (93); died July 21
> Actor; played Wu in the original STAR TREK series episode "The Omega
> Glory." Other television shows on which he appeared included MCHALE'S
> NAVY, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW, M*A*S*H, THE ODD
> COUPLE, HAPPY DAYS, MORK & MINDY, MAGNUM, P.I., CSI: CRIME SCENE
> INVESTIGATION and NCIS. He can also be seen in such films as THE OUTLAWS
> IS COMING, MIDWAY, THE LAST TYCOON, HAMMETT, MORTAL KOMBAT, THE CABLE
> GUY, 1998's GODZILLA and MISS CONGENIALITY 2: ARMED AND FABULOUS.

I hadn't heard about this one. Lloyd Kino was brilliant as an
ex-Japanese officer in the NCIS episode "Call of Silence," in 2004.
That's the one that featured Charles Durning as a Medal of Honor
recipient who'd become convinced he'd murdered his best friend during a
patrol. Durning died five months after Kino.

ElAuriano

Jan 30, 2013, 11:51:27 PM1/30/13
I add another one:
Russ Mayberry (died 27 July). He directed TNG episode "Code of Honor" in 1987.

MWB

Jan 31, 2013, 1:04:27 AM1/31/13
On 1/26/2013 5:05 PM, Terry del Fuego wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 13:50:35 +0000 (UTC), Chuck
> <trekke...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To conclude, STAR TREK is clearly much more than "a
>> fucking show" -- get the fuck over it.
>
> You're attempting to reason with a morbidly obese alcoholic tax clerk
> who shamed both of his parents to death and claimed he was leaving
> this newsgroup because someone said something bad about his precious
> little retarded president.
>
> Having no integrity, he didn't actually leave, which means that the
> only idiots lower than him are the handful who, during the few minutes
> per day they aren't sodomizing their own children, wish he would come
> back because they're too brain-dead to realize that he's still here.

I miss ERIK

GO 49ERS

Mark

Chuck

Jan 31, 2013, 1:35:27 AM1/31/13
ElAuriano <elau...@gmail.com> wrote in

> I add another one:
> Russ Mayberry (died 27 July). He directed TNG episode "Code of Honor"
> in 1987.

Good catch. I can understand how I missed him, though. He only worked on
one (very bad) episode, and he didn't even finish that one -- he was fired
during production. He was reportedly racist and acted like kind of an
asshole toward his actors, so Roddenberry shitcanned him and the episode
was finished by Les Landau.

There's not much more to say about Mayberry. He was 86 when he died and, in
addition to TNG, he also directed episodes of such shows as THAT GIRL, THE
BRADY BUNCH, IRONSIDE, THE ROCKFORD FILES, KOJAK, MAGNUM, P.I., THE
EQUALIZER and IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. That's pretty much all there is to
say.