Dennis Sweeney?

Bryan Styble

Aug 26, 2003, 3:55:00 AM8/26/03
Is the assassin of Alliard Lowenstein still alive?

Also, what details can be provided regarding what I gather was a rather
unusual set of circumstances which led to the killing?

Appreciatively,

BRYAN STYBLE/Albquerque

Bill Schenley

Aug 26, 2003, 6:10:37 AM8/26/03
> Is the assassin of Alliard Lowenstein still alive?

Allard. Anyway, as to the fate of Dennis Sweeney ...
The last I read ... he was still in a mental hospital

> Also, what details can be provided regarding what I
> gather was a rather unusual set of circumstances which
> led to the killing?

Dennis Sweeney was a student of Lowenstein's at Stanford,
but they were also good friends. At least until Sweeney
moved to Mississippi, where he was supposed to be
registering Black voters. Many people thought the
isolation of segregated Mississippi drove Sweeney crazy.

Who knows? Sweeney told prosecutors, after shooting Allard
Lowenstein, that Lowenstein ... and a few others were
giving him messages via the fillings in his teeth. He once
said Lowenstein was part of the Jewish Conspiracy ... He also
said Lowenstein was working with the CIA. I write "Who
knows" because the latter proved to be true.

Lowenstein's The National Student Association was an
organization fronting for, and funded by the CIA. As was
"The Ford Foundation," also an employer (through his
friendship with Frank Carlucci) of Allard Lowenstein.

But the Allard Lowenstein story gets even more bizarre. Do you
remember Janet Cooke, the Washington Post writer who won
the Pulitzer Prize in the early 1980s? It turned out her story was
a total fabrication and the award was rescinded. The Pulitzer
Prize was then given to Terry Carpenter of The Village Voice.

Carpenter's award-winning article was about the murder of
Allard Lowenstein. Her essay included an interview with
Dennis Sweeney, then, at Riker's Island. Sweeney allegedly
told her that he and Lowenstein were homosexual lovers ...
That the killing was just a lovers spat.

Unfortunately, for Terry Carpenter, there was no record of her
ever visiting or corresponding with Sweeney ... Ever. Allard
Lowenstein was married with several children. Whatever else
he was, he was not gay. Carpenter never spoke with anyone;
she, like Janet Cooke, made up the entire article. She used
existing news clips to write her story from ... To sell it ... she
ad-libbed the homosexual part.

Undoubtedly, these two sweethearts were the role models for
New York Times reporter, Jayson Blair.

There was a time I thought Lowenstein was one of the great
"liberal minds" of the 20th century ... Then came that CIA stuff.

Lowenstein is often given credit for ending the political career
of Lyndon Johnson ... Alas, he is just as often given credit for
the modern day decline of liberalism *and* the current chaos of
the Democratic Party. His lies, deceit, insincerity and hypocrisy
seem to remain benchmark.

rightwi...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2016, 4:36:49 PM8/19/16
So the Carpenter article was BS. i heard he was gay from doug ireland

debe...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2019, 1:39:52 PM6/13/19
The student association was created long before lowenstein and ceased CIA funding in 1967.

MJ Emigh

Jun 13, 2019, 6:42:09 PM6/13/19
On Tuesday, August 26, 2003 at 2:55:00 AM UTC-5, Bryan Styble wrote:
> Is the assassin of Alliard Lowenstein still alive?

He was released in 2000. It does seem odd that no one has kept track of him since that time, but that appears to be the situation. If he died, he did it quietly.

Steven S. Sadleir, Sai

Apr 8, 2021, 9:31:37 PM4/8/21
I just came upon this and thought to add. I was a person friend of Allard Loweinstein. He knew he was going to be assassinated and made a point to tell me the last time I saw him. It compelled me to write this book https://rense.com/general96/Money&Power.pdf
Respectfully, Steven Sadleir

radioacti...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2021, 11:45:53 PM4/8/21
This is definitely interesting, but please clarify: Did Loweinstein know that Sweeney was out to get him, or was he imagining some Oswald or Sirhan wannabe lurking out there in shadows? Or something silly like a CIA hit?

By the way, there's a tape of a Firing Line from the early 70s, and as a guest Loweinstein was quite engaging, and even nailed host Bill Buckley a couple of times with barbs; look for it, on YouTube, if I recall correctly.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida

Janey Solwold

Feb 8, 2023, 9:57:24 AM2/8/23
Here is a very thorough article about the lives of Dennis Sweeney and Allard Lowenstein here: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1980/08/17/111277613.html?pageNumber=309. The article was written by David Harris, who was a friend of both. David was a well known and vocal opponent of the Vietnam War in the 1960s. He attended Stanford University, where he met Sweeney and Lowenstein. David Harris died in early Feb, 2023.
Janey/Maryland

A Friend

Feb 8, 2023, 11:06:35 AM2/8/23
In article <a699d85f-3920-4ea7...@googlegroups.com>,
I knew Al from political stuff (he'd run for Congress in the district
served by the newspaper I worked for), but I didn't know Sweeney and
had never heard of him. He was one of the smartest people I've ever
met. All I can tell you is that Al Lowenstein cared deeply about what
he was doing and the people he was doing it for. His murder was a
great loss.

A bit of a personality cult had grown up around Al, but that wasn't his
fault. The cult consisted mostly of middle-aged single women; I don't
know if they saw Al as a son or a potential lover. Maybe both.

Mike M

Sep 27, 2023, 2:54:41 PM9/27/23
Yes, Dennis is still alive. 80 years old. Became an addiction counselor after his release.

radioacti...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2023, 3:00:36 PM9/27/23
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, Mike M.!

Given what he so infamously did to such a sterling (if somewhat obscure) American politician, it's AMAZING that there is such a dearth of info on Sweeney on the internet!

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida