Outdoors broadcaster Tony Dean dies at 67

Matthew Kruk

Oct 20, 2008, 10:46:23 PM10/20/08
http://tinyurl.com/5a5aad

Outdoors broadcaster Tony Dean dies
Associated Press
Last update: October 20, 2008 - 7:43 PM

PIERRE, S.D. - Tony Dean, a nationally known outdoor enthusiast who promoted
South Dakota with his radio and television shows, has died.

The Hofmeister Isburg Funeral Chapel confirmed that he died Sunday morning.
He was 67.

Dean, whose real name was Anthony DeChandt, returned to his Pierre home last
week after being hospitalized for complications from having his appendix
removed.

He was with immediate family members at his home, where he had been seated
in the living room overlooking the Missouri River.

"He could see the water; he could see the ducks," said his wife, Darlene
DeChandt. "He knew he was sick, but he said, 'You know, I'm not afraid.'"

Dean was host and producer of "Tony Dean Outdoors," a regional television
show that aired across the Upper Midwest. His radio show "Dakota Backroads"
was heard across the region.

Dean won more than 160 regional and national awards for his programs. He
also served as a press secretary for former South Dakota Gov. Frank Farrar.

Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin, D-S.D., said Dean was a passionate defender
of wildlife habitat and the environment. "I, like so many others, benefited
from his counsel and advice on a vast range of conservation policy issues.
His knowledge and ideas, as well as his enthusiasm for people and the
outdoors, will be missed by all," she said in a release.

In a statement, Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., said he had visited Dean and his
wife last week. He said he was sorry to hear of Dean's death.

"I always appreciated his advocacy on behalf of conservation and sportsmen
alike. He understood the right balance. His advice and passion will be
missed," Johnson said. Tony was a good friend, and this pheasant hunting
season won't be the same without him."

Dean had been criticized for supporting Johnson and again for backing Sen.
Barack Obama's presidential campaign.