Morjorie Newlin, 87, bodybuilding champion started pumping iron at age 71

瀏覽次數:518 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Hoodude

未讀,
2008年2月20日 晚上7:41:542008/2/20
收件者:
Fri, Feb. 1, 2008

Morjorie Newlin, 87, fitness champ

By JOHN F. MORRISON
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/obituaries/15103046.html

BACK IN the early '90s, Morjorie Newlin found that she had trouble
hoisting a couple of 50-pound bags of cat litter that her local
supermarket had on sale.

She was 71 at the time, and she had a disturbing vision of a future in
which she would become a helpless old lady and a burden on her family.

So, she did what any elderly widow with children and grandchildren would
do: She started pumping iron.

OK, not many elderly widows with kids and grandkids would think of
taking up weightlifting, and even fewer would consider stepping out on a
stage in a bikini and flexing their muscles for an audience. But
Morjorie did, and with spectacular results.

She not only increased her strength and endurance, she overcame a
natural shyness to pose half-naked before cheering crowds, and took home
dozens of trophies in bodybuilding contests nationwide and in Europe.

Morjorie Augusta Newlin, a retired nurse described by Daily News fitness
guru Kimberly Garrison as "Philadelphia's first lady of fitness," died
Sunday. She was 87 and lived in Mount Airy.

"She was a shining example of how to live our lives and a wonderful lady
who shall never be forgotten," Garrison said.

Morjorie continued to lift weights and win bodybuilding contests into
her late 80s. She told her story of inspiration on "The Oprah Winfrey
Show", the "Today Show," "The View" and other national and local TV
interview shows, and she was written up in the Daily News, Inquirer,
City Paper, Essence magazine and Women's World.

Morjorie first began working out at the Germantown Y, and eventually
stepped into Rivers Gym and Health Club in Mount Airy in 1991.

Bob Rivers, the owner, was impressed by her determination and saw in her
a future bodybuilding champion.

"He began telling me about bodybuilding poses and showing me pictures of
the poses he wanted me to do," she told former Inquirer fitness writer
Art Carey. "I told him, 'No way I'm going up on stage in a bikini with
all those big guys.'"

But Rivers prevailed and in a few months she was, indeed, on a stage in
a bikini and dazzling a crowd that was stunned when her age was
announced. She won her first masters class contest and continued winning.

"She took the bodybuilding world by storm," said Garrison, a personal
trainer and owner of One on One Ultimate Fitness. "She won every
competition she ever entered.

"When I was given the opportunity to write for the Daily News, I decided
to kick off my column with a story about her.

"She was down to earth and always kept it 'real.' She didn't take
supplements or eat a special diet. She just ate wisely and worked out
most days of the week. I will surely miss her, but will remain inspired
by her life and legacy."

Said Carey, "Morjorie Newlin was a spectacular advertisement for the
cardinal rule of fitness: Everybody should be lifting weights.

"In her mid-70s, when many women are bent over with arthritis and
osteoporosis, this lively grandmother was wearing a bikini and showing
off her toned, shapely figure in bodybuilding contests."

Morjorie was born in Philadelphia to immigrants from Barbados. She
attended Girls High for two years before entering Temple University High
School. She earned her registered nursing degree from Howard University
and received a bachelor's in health-care administration from St.
Joseph's College of Maine

At just 5-feet tall, Morjorie's weight always hovered around 99-100
pounds. She never weighed more than 105. When she went to Howard, her
mother would send her cod liver oil pills to help her put on weight.

She worked 45 years as a registered nurse, raised four children, who
gave her four grandchildren, and when she was in her early 70s, twin
great-grandchildren were born.

She married Raymond Newlin, a railroad worker, in 1956. He died in 1990.

"She was very strong and independent," said her daughter, Antonia
Citizen. "We always depended on her for guidance."

Morjorie celebrated her 87th birthday last August with a workout at
Bally's Total Fitness.

"Know your own body and be prepared to challenge the doctor," she once
advised older folk.

"There is no 'how older people should be.' It's an individual thing."

Her goal was never to stay young. "I can't do anything to be young," she
said.

"I don't wanna be young. I've been young. I feel good just the way I am."

Marjorie contracted leukemia, but she certainly wasn't the type to give
in to an illness. Before she started to weaken last October, she was
still working out regularly at the gym.

Besides her daughter, she is survived by a son, Augustus Greenridge; two
other daughters, Virginia Lee and Michelle Newlin; four grandchildren;
and two great-grandchildren.

Services: Funeral Mass 10 a.m. tomorrow at Holy Cross Church, 154 E.
Mount Airy Ave. Burial will be in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Leukemia and Lymphoma
Society, 1311 Mamaroneck Ave., Suite 310, White Plains, NY 10605.

--
Lincoln money shot

Dave Garrett

未讀,
2008年2月20日 晚上10:31:112008/2/20
收件者:
In article <47BCC8D2...@newnorth.net>, hoo...@newnorth.net says...

> Fri, Feb. 1, 2008
>
> Morjorie Newlin, 87, fitness champ
>
> By JOHN F. MORRISON
> http://www.philly.com/dailynews/obituaries/15103046.html
>
> BACK IN the early '90s, Morjorie Newlin found that she had trouble
> hoisting a couple of 50-pound bags of cat litter that her local
> supermarket had on sale.
>
> She was 71 at the time, and she had a disturbing vision of a future in
> which she would become a helpless old lady and a burden on her family.
>
> So, she did what any elderly widow with children and grandchildren would
> do: She started pumping iron.

Pics here:

http://www.fitbygeno.com/morjorie_newlin-getting_older.htm

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2006-08-03/naked.shtml

She sure doesn't look like a septuagenarian or octogenarian.

Dave

Garondo Marondo

未讀,
2008年2月20日 晚上10:30:502008/2/20
收件者:
On Feb 20, 7:41 pm, Hoodude <hood...@newnorth.net> wrote:
> Fri, Feb. 1, 2008
>
> Morjorie Newlin, 87, fitness champ
>
> By JOHN F. MORRISONhttp://www.philly.com/dailynews/obituaries/15103046.html

I saw her on a bunch of talk shows a few years ago, seemed like a nice
lady and really looked wonderful for her age.

Roger M

未讀,
2008年2月20日 晚上10:48:512008/2/20
收件者:

"Dave Garrett" <da...@compassnet.com> wrote in message
Or a Presbyterian

> Dave

cat

未讀,
2008年2月21日 晚上9:19:102008/2/21
收件者:
"Dave Garrett" <da...@compassnet.com> wrote in message

>> BACK IN the early '90s, Morjorie Newlin found that she had trouble

>> hoisting a couple of 50-pound bags of cat litter that her local
>> supermarket had on sale.

>> She was 71 at the time, and she had a disturbing vision of a future in
>> which she would become a helpless old lady and a burden on her family.

>> So, she did what any elderly widow with children and grandchildren would
>> do: She started pumping iron.

> Pics here:

> http://www.fitbygeno.com/morjorie_newlin-getting_older.htm

> http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2006-08-03/naked.shtml

> She sure doesn't look like a septuagenarian or octogenarian.

Wow. Very impressive. And inspiring. As a 50 year old nurse who's feeling
all the aches and pains from a long career, I am in awe of this lady who had
a 45 year nursing career and stepped it up *after* it was over. Those
pictures are amazing. I'm only sorry I've just heard of her because of her
passing.

0 則新訊息