Herschell Gordon Lewis, 87, horror/splatter/gore film director

That Derek

Sep 26, 2016, 3:17:17 PM9/26/16
http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-herschell-gordon-lewis-godfather-gore-243169

Newswire

R.I.P. Herschell Gordon Lewis, the “godfather of gore”

By Alex McCown-Levy and Mike Vanderbilt
Sep 26, 2016 • 12:43 PM

Something Weird Video reports Herschell Gordon Lewis, the director credited with inventing the “splatter” sub-genre of horror cinema, has died. He was 87.

Lewis began in the film industry by producing and directing exploitation movies featuring nudity, a profitable endeavor that nonetheless limited their ability to be marketed and distributed, thanks to censorship by the Motion Picture Production Code. However, he soon became known as “the godfather of gore” for his gruesome and sometimes silly outings released throughout the ‘60s and ‘70s. 1963’s Blood Feast (which featured some great ad copy for the movie) is arguably his best known film, showcasing gore effects that included an actual sheep’s tongue. As Lewis told Film Journal, “I’ve often compared Blood Feast to a Walt Whitman poem. It’s no good but it was the first film of its time.”

Blood Feast kickstarted a run of cult classics, like Two Thousand Maniacs! and The Wizard Of Gore. His films delivered full-color splatter effects that soon were adopted by low-budget and exploitation filmmakers throughout the world. As Lewis told the Bright Lights Film Journal in 2001, “I see filmmaking as a business and pity anyone who regards it as an art form and spends money based on that immature philosophy.” In 1972, after releasing The Gore Gore Girls, leaving filmmaking to begin a second career in advertising, focusing on direct marketing and copywriting. When Adweek asked him for advice for young marketers entering the profession, Lewis explained that you have to “analyze and think, ‘If this was aimed at me, what would my reaction be? Would my heart beat a little faster?’” Lewis also wrote several books on the subject of advertising.

The director returned to filmmaking with 2002’s Blood Feast 2: All U Can Eat, which featured a cameo from fellow trash filmmaker John Waters. Up until his death, Lewis continued working on films in one capacity or another, and appeared in Terror Toons 3 from his directing protégé Joe Castro earlier this year. When asked about his legacy last month, Lewis explained to Daily Grindhouse, “I’m telling you this, if you live long enough, you become legitimate.”

He most recently hosted a retrospective of his work last month in Philadelphia. The world of horror cinema just got a little less delightfully disgusting.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 27, 2016, 10:13:13 PM10/27/16
That Derek <that...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-herschell-gordon-lewis-godfather-gore-243169

>Newswire

>R.I.P. Herschell Gordon Lewis, the "godfather of gore"

For a different take on Herschell Gordon Lewis,
http://www.thenonprofittimes.com/news-articles/herschell-gordon-lewis-dead-87/

He was an important ad executive for the last several decades.

Herschell Gordon Lewis Dead At 87
By Mark Hrywna - September 26, 2016

Herschell Gordon Lewis, considered the "Godfather of Gore" as well as the
"Godfather of Direct Marketing," died early this morning from congestive
heart failure. He was 87.

An avid tennis player and scuba diver, Lewis was a member of the Direct
Marketing Association Hall of Fame. News of his death briefly cracked
the top 10 topics trending on Twitter this afternoon.

Lewis is remembered as a pioneer of campy schlock horror, with seminal
movies like "A Taste of Blood," "Gore Gore Girls," and "She-Devils On
Wheels." His 1963 movie "Blood Feast" is considered "the horror genre's
first splatter film," according to Variety magazine.

Lewis is credited with 37 films in all, some under the name H. Lewis
Gordon. All but two of his films were made between 1961 and 1972. His
films were considered a precursor to grindhouse filmmakers like Tobe
Hooper ("Texas Chainsaw Massacre"), Sam Raimi ("Evil Dead") and Quentin
Tarantino. His last film was the "Uh Ho! Show" in 2009.

Lewis also was a prolific writer, penning columns about direct marketing,
fundraising and copy writing for a number of publications. He wrote a
column titled "Burnt Offerings" for The NonProfit Times for more than
a decade. He continued to consult on direct marketing through his firm,
Lewis Enterprises in Pompano Beach, Fla.

Among his clients over the years were 1-800-Flowers and Omaha Steaks. Lewis
met with client AAA as recently as last week. "Dad was as sharp as
ever right to the end," said his son Bob Lewis. While the death was not
immediately expected, he had been in failing health and was frail, Bob
Lewis said.

Lewis's wife of 37 years, Margo, said that he had three damaged heart
valves. "He died peacefully without pain," she said. He had been dependent
on a walker and scooter for the past few years, which took him away from
tennis and made him "very unhappy," Margo Lewis said.

He was the author of 32 books, including "Internet Marketing Tips,
Tricks and Tactics," "On the Art of Writing Copy," "Asinine Advertising,"
"Burnt Offerings," and "Creative Rules for the 21st Century." He also
taught college literature and produced and directed television commercials.

Lewis was former chairman of Communicamp, a full-serve direct marketing
agency, that became a division of Interpublic, an advertising holding
company.

Born on June 15, 1929 in Pittsburgh, Pa., Lewis earned a master's degree
in journalism at Northwestern University. He was an adjunct lecturer
to graduate classes in mass communications for 20 years at Roosevelt
University in Chicago.

Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest

Oct 27, 2016, 10:58:59 PM10/27/16
I don't know why, but my mother took me to see "Blood Feast" when it first came out. I was 7 years-old.

Sarah Ehrett

Oct 28, 2016, 6:19:05 AM10/28/16
On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 19:58:42 -0700 (PDT), "Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love
Interest" <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know why, but my mother took me to see "Blood Feast" when it first came out. I was 7 years-old.

Your mother was as mentally ill as you are, that's why SmELLI.

Rob Cibik

Oct 28, 2016, 3:30:43 PM10/28/16
The mother may have had an ulterior motive, taking it to that particular
movie. Since a retro-active abortion wasn't possible it may have been a
last ditch effort to scare it to death.

Sarah Ehrett

Oct 30, 2016, 11:26:02 AM10/30/16
On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 15:30:43 -0400, Rob Cibik <rci...@gmail.com>
wrote:
A +++ Wow. How can anyone top that analysis? Good job, Rob.

:)