Patrick Ryan; AKA Henri Plisson, impressionist painter, 72

deb...@comcast.net

Oct 1, 2006, 11:31:46 AM10/1/06
Patrick Ryan; was also Henri Plisson, impressionist painter

By Jack Williams
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
September 26, 2006

As his painting evolved from abstract images to a more classical
impressionist style, Patrick Ryan adopted a new professional identity:
Henri Plisson.

But he still told everybody he was just a painter.

"He would never say he was an artist," his niece, Sharon Strasser,
said. "He would say, 'What do they care if I paint houses or
paintings?' "

Those familiar with his art cared enough to buy his original oils and
hand-signed serigraph prints throughout the United States.

Some buyers were celebrities who discovered his work in Beverly Hills
galleries in the 1970s, including Rock Hudson, Katharine Ross, Aaron
Spelling and Gene Kelly.

"He had been a movie buff as a child, so he was in awe of all the
celebrity friends he made," Strasser said. "He never expected the
attention."

Mr. Ryan was considered at the height of his creativity when, after
suffering blackouts, he was diagnosed with a brain tumor more than 15
years ago. He underwent surgery in 1990 and continued to paint, taking
medication to prevent seizures.

"It effected his peripheral vision, and he was never satisfied with
what he painted after that," Strasser said. "Eventually, he gave it
up."

Mr. Ryan, whose health continued to decline in recent years, died Aug.
21 at an assisted living home in Escondido. He was 72.

"Even after he fully explored the genre of expressionism, his
paintings had an abstract quality," said Bill Dreyer, who marketed
Mr. Ryan's paintings for Colville Publishing.

"He did still lifes, landscapes, garden scenes and a series of
merry-go-rounds," Dreyer said. "He tried his hand at a new style
when French Impressionism was in vogue and was able to translate his
ideas into that style. He found it to be a new love. It was clear that
he was gifted.

"Fame was important to him in a fleeting way but money wasn't. He was
a very humble, very giving person."

Patrick Joseph Ryan was born Feb. 17, 1934, in Omaha, Neb., and aspired
to be an artist as a child.

He earned a bachelor's degree at the University of Nebraska, Omaha,
followed in 1958 by a master's degree in fine arts at the University of
Southern California.

By the early 1970s, after spending nearly two years in Mallorca, Spain,
his art was being exhibited in Los Angeles-area galleries. Deville
Gallery in Beverly Hills provided the greatest exposure.

"Gene Kelly had a private showing and bought original oils, and NBC
bought them for Johnny Carson," Strasser said.

In the 1980s, Mr. Ryan signed a contract with Torrance-based Colville,
which broadened his market by releasing limited-edition serigraphs or
silk-screen prints.

Mr. Ryan moved to San Diego after signing the contract and lived at
various times in Tierrasanta, La Jolla and Vista. He traveled
extensively, taking hundreds of photos throughout the world that
inspired his paintings.

"What you are doing in impressionism is focusing on one thing, but
you are painting another," he once said. "I am painting a visual
echo of what I see."

Survivors include nieces Sharon Strasser of Underwood, Iowa, and Janice
Davis of Broomfield, Colo.; and several great-nieces and nephews.

A service is pending in Omaha.

Hyfler/Rosner

Oct 1, 2006, 12:02:09 PM10/1/06
> Patrick Ryan; was also Henri Plisson, impressionist
> painter
>

> By Jack Williams
> UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
> September 26, 2006
>
> As his painting evolved from abstract images to a more
> classical
> impressionist style, Patrick Ryan adopted a new
> professional identity:
> Henri Plisson.

Some of his dreck, er, I mean work:

http://www.gallerydirectart.com/dealer-gallery-of-fine-art-prints---posters-fortune-fine-art-henri-plisson.html