Jimmy Swaggart / Bullshit Preachers

The Perp

Feb 18, 2001, 10:55:07 PM2/18/01
On 08 Feb 2001 23:21:59 GMT, in <alt.obituaries>, mpoco...@aol.comnojunk (Mpoconnor7) wrote:

>I do not know how he has managed to stay in business. He was busted for buying
>a hooker and watching her do things with fruits and vegetables; despite that
>people still send him money. Go figure.

He's the white jesse jackson.

PirateJohn

Feb 18, 2001, 11:14:45 PM2/18/01
In article <96q01j$tur$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, "Bob"
<Plan...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>> I see the potential for a lot of scandal
>> in this faith based ministry idea getting
>> millions of dollars for running social
>> programs. The checks and balances
>> had better be really good.
>
>You can hear scientology's lips licking from here!

This seems like one that wasn't thought through very well. For a RepuboNazi
it's all very well for the local all-white Baptist church to get $$$ from Uncle
Sugar but when it comes to the Scientologists, the Muslims, and the Pagans
getting an equal share of the ca$h, then look out!! In the fine print of the
(Burning) Bush Proposal there must be the words "white" and "Christian" written
in such small letters that no one has noticed yet.
Pirat...@aol.com
Keeper of the Humour List at http://members.aol.com/PirateJohn/pirate1.html

"Mother, mother ocean... I have heard your call" - Jimmy Buffett, A Pirate
Looks At Forty.

Brad Ferguson

Feb 18, 2001, 11:21:20 PM2/18/01
In article <20010218210913...@ng-ba1.aol.com>, JSTONE9352
<jston...@aol.com> wrote:

> >>I do not know how he has managed to stay in business. He was
> >>busted for buying a hooker and watching her do things with
> >>fruits and vegetables; despite that people still send him
> >>money. Go figure.
>

> I hear his followers in numbers are only
> a shadow of what they once were.
> Supposidly he has a secret Swiss Bank
> Account he set up years ago that he
> is drawing money from in order to
> stay in business.
>
> I haven't seen his syndicated religious show on my local cable system for
> several years.

It's still running on one of the satellite-delivered channels (which
may or may not be on some cable systems). His son is seen frequently.

MadCow57

Feb 19, 2001, 5:48:18 AM2/19/01
>>I see the potential for a lot of scandal
in this faith based ministry idea getting
millions of dollars for running social
programs. The checks and balances
had better be really good.<< -- J Stone

I think the program merely allows faith-based organization to compete for
government contracts. If you've ever seen how government contracting works,
you won't worry about checks and balances.

Rich Clancey

Feb 21, 2001, 3:21:00 PM2/21/01
dougbaker (zap...@voyager.net) wrote:

+ Ejucaided Redneck <briarh...@yall.com> wrote in message
+ news:3A836DEC...@yall.com...
+ > GO-SPAM-YO-...@bigfoot.com wrote:
+ > >
+ > > On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 20:02:54 -0500, Ejucaided Redneck
+ <briarh...@yall.com>
+ > > wrote:
+ > >
+ > > >He's also got a thing going with "syndicated radio" which apparently
+ > > >rakes in more than a few shekels. Last year Swaggert applied for a
+ > > >license to open a "robot radio station" here in Morehead KY, which
+ would
+ > > >be part of his syndication efforts. Haven't heard any more about it.
+ > >
+ > > Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Swaggart would have a fondness for
+ "more
+ > > head".
+ >
+ > Especially since it's so close to Frenchburg.
+ >
+ > And to get _there_ you go right through Salt Lick.
+ >

+ Isn't that somewhere near Big Bone Lick, too? I seem to remember that
+ right off I-75 somewhere in that neck of the woods.
+ I recall that the Jim and Tammy Bakker Ordeal happened somewhere around
+ the same time, and Rev. Bob Tilton fell from grace, too, a little later. I

It was better than that. When Jim and Tammy got caught, Jimmy
Swaggert took over PTL, and spent several weeks ranting against them.
It was during this time that The Reverend Swaggart was meeting his
backstreet girl at the motel after a long day in front of the
microphones. It was especially gratifying to watch him get caught
right in the middle o fa prolonged anti-Bakker Holier Than Thou rant.

If these guys understood anything about Christianity, they
would know that nobody is authorized to pass judgment on anyone else,
and if they knew anything about psychology, they would know that the
loudest preachers are always the worst offenders.

The other God Fearin Hypocrite you were thinking about might
have been Oral "Anal" Roberts, who announced that God told him to meet
his fund raising quota or jump off the bell tower, or something
unlikely like that.

--
rich clancey r...@world.std.com rcla...@massart.edu
I often think there should exist a special typographical sign

Bob

Feb 21, 2001, 4:32:19 PM2/21/01

"Rich Clancey" <r...@world.std.com> wrote in message

He's the only man I've ever seen with earlobes that hang down to his jaw
line.

bob

Feb 21, 2001, 4:43:19 PM2/21/01
I was introduced to Swaggart's motel slut several years ago here in New
Orleans by a female friend who knows her...she is the one who was
interviewed in Penthouse or one of those mags. I say this because there
were two sluts putting on private shows for the Reverend at that time
featuring your neighborhood supermarket produce department. Must have been
a dry spell at his home...and you would not believe the perversions she told
me of...he's a very sick man...

Susan

in article G94J7...@world.std.com, Rich Clancey at r...@world.std.com wrote
on 2/21/01 2:21 PM:

Brad Ferguson

Feb 21, 2001, 6:05:14 PM2/21/01
In article <G94J7...@world.std.com>, Rich Clancey <r...@world.std.com>
wrote:

> The other God Fearin Hypocrite you were thinking about might
> have been Oral "Anal" Roberts, who announced that God told him to meet
> his fund raising quota or jump off the bell tower, or something
> unlikely like that.

It got worse than that. Roberts began claiming that he had
occasionally raised the dead during his services -- specifically,
congregants who had keeled over and died from all the excitement. He
also said that other preachers had done it, too, but didn't have the
courage to admit it.

People not only listen to this stuff, they believe it and they send in
great gobs of money. We're all in the wrong business.

MadCow57

Feb 23, 2001, 3:06:46 AM2/23/01
>>He's the only man I've ever seen with earlobes that hang down to his jaw
line.<<

Then check out Lyndon Johnson.

Bob

Feb 23, 2001, 9:14:27 AM2/23/01

"MadCow57" <madc...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >>He's the only man I've ever seen with earlobes that hang down to his jaw
> line.<<
>
> Then check out Lyndon Johnson.

Hmmmm. Now that you mention it, they never did appear in the same place at
the same time.

MadCow57

Feb 23, 2001, 2:30:18 PM2/23/01
I wonder if Lyndon Johnson's earlobes were so long because his beagles kept
picking him up by them.

Terrymelin

Feb 23, 2001, 3:52:55 PM2/23/01
As to the subject heading -- I'll give you Swaggart but the two biggest
bullshit preachers of all time are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Terry Ellsworth

bob

Feb 23, 2001, 5:33:16 PM2/23/01
Sharpton...what a fat, sloppy, greasy, lying, self-appointed, worthless sack
of shit who still insists Ms. Brawley was telling the truth even tho she
admitted she lied big time. But Al's not about to give up the spotlight
that shone on him during that lying travesty.

The good black people are really letting themselves being duped by these
side show freaks. What a pity!

in article 20010223155255...@ng-fl1.aol.com, Terrymelin at

PirateJohn

Feb 28, 2001, 7:22:04 AM2/28/01

>Sharpton...what a fat, sloppy, greasy, lying, self-appointed, worthless sack
>of shit who still insists Ms. Brawley was telling the truth even tho she
>admitted she lied big time. But Al's not about to give up the spotlight
>that shone on him during that lying travesty.

Bob, Bob, Bob ... let me guess. You're not black, are you?? I'm shure that
those "good black people" that you cite really appreciate your helping them
decide which of their leaders are "fat, sloppy, greasy" and which ones are more
suitable to your, uh, "mighty white" tastes.

I suppose that you miss those days when the 'good' black pholks would have
referred to you as Mastah Bob ;)

I wonder how long it will be before the racist RepuboNazi rightwingers finally
realize that the major reason the Jesse Jacksons, Muslims, and Al Sharptons
have so much clout in black communities is precisely because they offend you
turkeys with their very existence?? RepuboNazis have consistently ignored the
desires and interests of minorities and (lately) anyone else who disagreed with
them. It's no wonder that black people simply won't have anything to do with
the GOP.

A recent poll in Florida pointed out that 60plus% of the black population felt
that Al Gore was the rightful President and that 40% felt that there was an
organized conspiracy amongst the RepuboNazis to deprive them of their right to
vote. It does sorta seem like the GOP has gotten away from that concept of 1
person, 1 vote, doesn't it??

King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!

Feb 28, 2001, 1:20:24 PM2/28/01
<GO-SPAM-YO-...@bigfoot.com> quotes pirat...@aol.comSPAMNOT
(PirateJohn) 'n sez:

> >It's no wonder that black people simply won't have anything to do with
> >the GOP.
>

> Take that, Colin Powell, Alan Keyes, and Condoleeza Rice.

...and J.C. Watts, Reggie White, Armstrong Williams, James Brown (the
singer -- dunno about the Fox Sports anchor), Lionel Hampton, Muhammad Ali
and (at least as of ten years back) Tony Brown...

...and Louis Armstrong was a lifelong Republican as well; so was Ezy-E(sp?),
the late N.W.A. rapper...

> So let's see now, White folks shouldn't comment on Black leaders ... men
> shouldn't comment on abortion ... and women shouldn't comment on the
draft.

...I stoped commenting on why Afro-American Republicans were freakish when I
saw that photo in THE BOOK OF ROCK LISTS of Lester Maddox explaining the
joys of the Democratic Party to James Brown (or so the caption claimed) --
that image put it all into perspective for me...

--

+++++++++

King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!
kingd...@elknet.net
WMCW Harvard IL/WSUW Whitewater WI
Love your enemies. It drives them right up the bloody wall.

bob

Feb 28, 2001, 2:12:43 PM2/28/01
THE FOCUS: Ok, lemme balance my original post, lest I be flamed again for
being a white man accused of speaking out of line (how dare me!) with an
observation on our black and white bretheren.

The spirit of the original post was that Jimmy Swaggart is a bullshit
artist, a self-proclaimed leader of insecure weak-minded white people, a
perpetrator of deception, and a media darling pig. I'm too polite to ever
call him a flaming asshole.

On the other side of the color fence, Al Sharpton never did let go of the
Ms. Brawley lie that put his fat ass into the limelight. Now he's venerated
as a self-proclaimed leader of his people. What has Al done for them except
grow fatter and basked in the media attention? Where's the beef, except in
his stomach?

Whites and Blacks both deserve better than these self-indulging media
spotlight hogs and circus acts.

THE CRUX OF IT: The sad thing is that so many feeble minded people support
them, and even worse people like them. Are people of all colors that
desperate for someone/anyone to believe in that they feel freaks and
bloodsuckers (thanks, Khalid) are their salvation?

Now, like the kid with the lisp sitting on a block of ice...
"my tale is told."

PirateJohn

Mar 4, 2001, 9:16:50 AM3/4/01

>> >It's no wonder that black people simply won't have anything to do with
>> >the GOP.
>>
>> Take that, Colin Powell, Alan Keyes, and Condoleeza Rice.

Let's see, that's something like .0000000000000001 percent of the black
population of the United States. Sorta proves my point. The GOP doesn't have
anything like broad appeal for the minority population of the USA. When you
vote RepuboNazi you vote for racism.

Alan Keyes is an interesting example. He's clearly a cynic who simply has
found profit in being a token minority in a majority-dominated political
system. Sorta like the black Rush Limbaugh, who doesn't really believe the
nonsense that he spews but loves to take that money from rightwingers and ca$h
those checks. Too bad that Keyes has become a traitor for the rights and
concerns of his own people.

MadCow57

Mar 4, 2001, 12:12:31 PM3/4/01
Pirate John is a seriously confused creature, and may even be certifiable.

PirateJohn

Mar 4, 2001, 6:28:14 PM3/4/01
In article <20010304121231...@ng-ce1.aol.com>, madc...@aol.com
(MadCow57) writes:

>Pirate John is a seriously confused creature, and may even be certifiable.

InsanePorcineBovine is just, uh, "mad" because she discovered that she left her
best swastika at David Carson's mobilehome love nest down in Texas. You,
Carson, and the other trailer trash RepuboNazis need to stick together -- you
clowns were meant for each other.

PirateJohn

Mar 4, 2001, 6:28:16 PM3/4/01
In article <tun4atg6phnf3lkm1...@4ax.com>,
davidREMOV...@hotmail.com writes:

>Such crap you distribute.
>
>The Dems, over the years, have convinced Af-Ams that the Dems themselves hold
>the only key, with generous outpourings of welfare money, no reciprocation
>necessary. No work necessary. The Dem policies have gotten Af-Ams where they
>are
>today ... largely on the dole, largely in prison, largely in fear of their
>lives.

Such crap you eat, Hotmail Boy (jeese, I'm responding to some jackass who
cannot afford an email account -- that's pathetic!!) You've been listening to
Limbaugh's show again. Come up with some original thoughts.

If the RepuboNazi policies are so good for black Americans, then how come black
Americans are so solidly in opposition to them?? You jackasses voted in a
Prez. who was a drunk until he was 40plus and has only worked for the last few
years (having George Bush support you is a luxury that few black pholks have)
and you called black Americans "lazy"??

Jesus Christ, you are a moron. Right up there with the rest of your political
buddies.

MadCow57

Mar 5, 2001, 4:52:51 AM3/5/01
>>InsanePorcineBovine is just, uh, "mad" because she discovered that she left
her
best swastika at David Carson's mobilehome love nest down in Texas. You,
Carson, and the other trailer trash RepuboNazis need to stick together -- you
clowns were meant for each other.<< -- PJ

I bet he thinks that is literature.

Barry Shein

Mar 5, 2001, 2:09:41 PM3/5/01

I think the following is a fair statement of the history:

Lincoln was a republican, so the events of the civil war left most
southerners democrats for nearly 100 years. For many decades in many
areas down south republicans didn't even waste their money running for
office.

That was the era of the "yellow dog" democrat as in "I'd vote for a
yellow dog running as a democrat over any republican!"

Then the demcrats began embracing civil rights and the end to
segregation and similar and generally promoting the status of blacks
in America. This drove more and more (need I say it? white)
southerners to the republican party until today we see the republicans
dominating much of the south.

It's pretty amazing to see GW Bush so successful out of Texas on his
fortunes with the "Party of Lincoln".

But do you see my point and why so few blacks identify with the
Republican party in this day and age as the republicans have largely
been perceived as rising, in the south at least, as a reaction to the
civil rights movement and a party embraced by symbols of the bad old
days such as Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms?

I don't think blacks' suspicion of the republican party is completely
unjustified. As Dick Gregory was always fond of pointing out, the
"good old days" imagery which conservatives often find attractive
means something very different, and not very comforting, to your
average black person. As he'd put it, "Yeah, let's bring back the good
old days...let's bring back POLIO!...the only thing good about the
good ol' days is that they're GONE!"

--
-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die | b...@TheWorld.com | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202 | Login: 617-739-WRLD
The World | Public Access Internet | Since 1989 *oo*

Erik L.

Mar 5, 2001, 4:10:24 PM3/5/01
Barry, what you leave out is that the hard line segregationists like Wallce,
Barnett, Faubus and Maddox were all Democrats and the LBJ would not have been
able to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act without Republican votes.

Erik L.

MadCow57

Mar 5, 2001, 5:19:31 PM3/5/01
>>LBJ would not have been
able to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act without Republican votes.<< -- Erik L

Damn right, and most of them were turned out by Everett Dirksen, bless his
soul.

The only think I didn't like about ol' Ev was the way he kissed helpless young
female staffers. It was like being licked by a cow.

Back in those days, Senators and Congressman could grab any part of you they
wanted, and you couldn't even say "eek."

Maybe someday I'll write a book on which parts of the female body certain
Senators liked best.

Nah, I don't really mean that.

Terrymelin

Mar 5, 2001, 5:44:32 PM3/5/01
>and the LBJ would not have been
>able to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act without Republican votes.

Actually it was mostly passed with Republican votes from up north.

Terry Ellsworth

Louis Epstein

Mar 5, 2001, 11:01:12 PM3/5/01

:
: Damn right, and most of them were turned out by Everett Dirksen, bless his
: soul.
:
: The only think I didn't like about ol' Ev was the way he kissed helpless
: young female staffers. It was like being licked by a cow.
:
: Back in those days, Senators and Congressman could grab any part of you they
: wanted, and you couldn't even say "eek."

Hmm,would be interesting to see that clause in the rules.

: Maybe someday I'll write a book on which parts of the female body certain

bob

Feb 8, 2001, 5:56:45 PM2/8/01
Jimmy Swaggart had angioplasty yesterday in Baton Rouge. He drove himself
to the hospital. Gee, where was Jimmy's wife to drive him as he was
potentially at death's doorstep? Gee, I bet Jimmy the phony holy man, party
animal and whoremonger is insured quite heavily. Mrs. Swaggart, you go,
girl. He owes you for the humiliation he put you through.

As Marvin Gorman jumps for joy...

Mpoconnor7

Feb 8, 2001, 6:21:59 PM2/8/01

I do not know how he has managed to stay in business. He was busted for buying

a hooker and watching her do things with fruits and vegetables; despite that
people still send him money. Go figure.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
"The probability of one person being right increases in a direct porportion to
the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"

Old Curmudgeon

Feb 8, 2001, 7:10:18 PM2/8/01
While hunting tigers out in Indiah, Mpoconnor7 gaily trilled

>>Jimmy Swaggart had angioplasty yesterday in Baton Rouge. He
>>drove himself to the hospital. Gee, where was Jimmy's wife
>>to drive him as he was potentially at death's doorstep?
>>Gee, I bet Jimmy the phony holy man, party animal and
>>whoremonger is insured quite heavily. Mrs. Swaggart, you
>>go, girl. He owes you for the humiliation he put you
>>through.
>>

>I do not know how he has managed to stay in business. He was
>busted for buying a hooker and watching her do things with
>fruits and vegetables; despite that people still send him
>money. Go figure.

He's probably all some people can find to pin their faith on.
Now, isn't that a thought?

--
Roy Archer
http://www.fonts.org.uk free fonts

Brad Ferguson

Feb 8, 2001, 6:55:09 PM2/8/01
In article <B6A8804C.54AD%b...@walkerpub.com>, bob <b...@walkerpub.com>
wrote:

> Jimmy Swaggart had angioplasty yesterday in Baton Rouge.

He has a heart?

Ejucaided Redneck

Feb 8, 2001, 8:02:54 PM2/8/01
Mpoconnor7 wrote:

> >Jimmy Swaggart had angioplasty yesterday in Baton Rouge. He drove himself
> >to the hospital. Gee, where was Jimmy's wife to drive him as he was
> >potentially at death's doorstep? Gee, I bet Jimmy the phony holy man, party
> >animal and whoremonger is insured quite heavily. Mrs. Swaggart, you go,
> >girl. He owes you for the humiliation he put you through.
> >

> I do not know how he has managed to stay in business. He was busted for buying
> a hooker and watching her do things with fruits and vegetables; despite that
> people still send him money. Go figure.

One of the TV news programs a few years ago reported that with the
collapse of his "ministry" Swaggert rented nearly the entirety of his
suddenly empty "college" campus to the state of Louisiana for use as
office buildings. He's got a lot of clout in Baton rouge, and is making
millions off that deal. The state claims it's cheaper than building new
offices....

Same program showed him still preaching in his monstrosity of a
"church," but the crowd was so small he had black curtains hanging to
mask all the empty seats.

He's also got a thing going with "syndicated radio" which apparently

rakes in more than a few shekels. Last year Swaggert applied for a

license to open a "robot radio station" here in Morehead KY, which would

be part of his syndication efforts. Haven't heard any more about it.

--
http://rlsloan.netbasix.com/
Stories, poetry, "Notes From the Top of the Hill,"

Ejucaided Redneck

Feb 8, 2001, 11:11:24 PM2/8/01
GO-SPAM-YO-...@bigfoot.com wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 20:02:54 -0500, Ejucaided Redneck <briarh...@yall.com>
> wrote:
>
> >He's also got a thing going with "syndicated radio" which apparently
> >rakes in more than a few shekels. Last year Swaggert applied for a
> >license to open a "robot radio station" here in Morehead KY, which would
> >be part of his syndication efforts. Haven't heard any more about it.
>
> Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Swaggart would have a fondness for "more
> head".

Especially since it's so close to Frenchburg.

And to get _there_ you go right through Salt Lick.

sighmoan

Feb 9, 2001, 3:35:00 AM2/9/01

> GO-SPAM-YO-...@bigfoot.com wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 20:02:54 -0500, Ejucaided Redneck
<briarh...@yall.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >He's also got a thing going with "syndicated radio" which apparently
> > >rakes in more than a few shekels. Last year Swaggert applied for a
> > >license to open a "robot radio station" here in Morehead KY, which
would
> > >be part of his syndication efforts. Haven't heard any more about it.
> >
> > Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Swaggart would have a fondness for
"more
> > head".
>
> Especially since it's so close to Frenchburg.
>
> And to get _there_ you go right through Salt Lick.

Hell, "Baton Rouge" sounds fairly apt for Brother Jimmy if you think about
it right.

Matthew Hubbard

Feb 9, 2001, 9:38:19 AM2/9/01
Mpoconnor7 wrote:

> Bob wrote:
> >Jimmy Swaggart had angioplasty yesterday in Baton Rouge. He drove
> >himself to the hospital. Gee, where was Jimmy's wife to drive him as
> >he was potentially at death's doorstep? Gee, I bet Jimmy the phony
> >holy man, party animal and whoremonger is insured quite heavily.
> >Mrs. Swaggart, you go, girl. He owes you for the humiliation he put
> >you through.
> >

> I do not know how he has managed to stay in business. He was busted
> for buying a hooker and watching her do things with fruits and
> vegetables; despite that people still send him money. Go figure.

He gives great contrition. "Ah-ah have sin-inned a-against you!" The
sobbing is priceless. He could have taught Clinton a thing or two, but
it would have been a political risk to steal Swaggart's act outright;
too many of the rubes... sorry, constituents had seen the original.

MattH

George Hall

Feb 9, 2001, 12:30:37 PM2/9/01
But at least he runs a "faith based" organization, which makes him okay
in Dubya's books!

dougbaker

Feb 10, 2001, 4:33:05 AM2/10/01

> GO-SPAM-YO-...@bigfoot.com wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 20:02:54 -0500, Ejucaided Redneck
<briarh...@yall.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >He's also got a thing going with "syndicated radio" which apparently
> > >rakes in more than a few shekels. Last year Swaggert applied for a
> > >license to open a "robot radio station" here in Morehead KY, which
would
> > >be part of his syndication efforts. Haven't heard any more about it.
> >
> > Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Swaggart would have a fondness for
"more
> > head".
>
> Especially since it's so close to Frenchburg.
>
> And to get _there_ you go right through Salt Lick.

Isn't that somewhere near Big Bone Lick, too? I seem to remember that
right off I-75 somewhere in that neck of the woods.
I recall that the Jim and Tammy Bakker Ordeal happened somewhere around
the same time, and Rev. Bob Tilton fell from grace, too, a little later. I
miss Tilton crawling around in the envelopes that carried the cash,
squinty-eyed and "speaking in tongues." That blasphemy should have been
thwarted much sooner than it was. It was entertaining, in a Jerry Springer
Trashy sort of way. It seems like there was another one, too, but I can't
remember who it was right now.

PirateJohn

Feb 10, 2001, 8:22:24 AM2/10/01
In article <3A836DEC...@yall.com>, Ejucaided Redneck
<briarh...@yall.com> writes:

>> Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Swaggart would have a fondness for
>"more
>> head".
>
>Especially since it's so close to Frenchburg.
>
>And to get _there_ you go right through Salt Lick.

... which ain't too far away from a charming little Kentucky park called Big
Bone Lick ...

Brad Ferguson

Feb 10, 2001, 6:52:38 PM2/10/01
In article <3a850af4$0$1512$53a6...@news.erinet.com>, dougbaker
<zap...@voyager.net> wrote:

> I recall that the Jim and Tammy Bakker Ordeal happened somewhere around
> the same time, and Rev. Bob Tilton fell from grace, too, a little later. I
> miss Tilton crawling around in the envelopes that carried the cash,
> squinty-eyed and "speaking in tongues." That blasphemy should have been
> thwarted much sooner than it was. It was entertaining, in a Jerry Springer
> Trashy sort of way. It seems like there was another one, too, but I can't
> remember who it was right now.

Never fear. Tilton is back with the same gig, and has been for several
years. (He always looked to me like the Cesar Romero version of the
Joker, with all that hair.)

Peter Popoff may be the one you're forgetting. He was gone for a
while, too, in part thanks to an expose by the great James Randi.
Randi got a guy with a scanner to pick up the radio messages Popoff's
wife was sending Popoff during services for his "miraculous"
divinations of peoples' names and physical conditions. (Randi also
found a guy who dressed as a woman and was "cured" with great
regularity on the Popoff circuit.) Popoff now shows clips of his
services from the good old days; he and his wife do fresh wrap-arounds.
Popoff offers a small ampule of "miracle oil" (non-Crisco, I trust) in
return for a donation.

Ernest Angley is dead, I think. IIRC, he did a little time in West
Germany (this goes back a way) for fraud.

MadCow57

Feb 10, 2001, 9:29:15 PM2/10/01
>>Peter Popoff may be the one you're forgetting. He was gone for a
while, too, in part thanks to an expose by the great James Randi.<< -- Brad
Ferguson

James Randi is a hero. He should live forever.

Marty M

Feb 10, 2001, 11:22:00 PM2/10/01

"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

=====

Peter Popoff, unfortunately, is still around. I just saw him the other day
on some channel. The expose has been on pretty recently too (as a repeat on
Discovery or A&E or Learning Channel.) That's why I was so surprised when I
saw Popoff.

Re: Ernest Angley - I wondered what happened to him. Used to see him on tv
when we lived in West Virginia. Had some neighbors that would do imitations
of him and have us in stitches.

Hard for me to believe people can be so gullible...but I guess Oral Roberts
is still going strong too. Wonder what Richard Roberts first wife if up to
these days. I was very surprised they got divorced. Good for her to finally
realize what a charlatan he is.

Marty

dougbaker

Feb 11, 2001, 5:05:41 PM2/11/01
I believe it was Popoff, and I thank you for that, Brad.
I saw Tilton Topple on one of the tabloid TV shows. It was disgusting.
I can't remember positively which show it was on now, but they had been
investigating Reverend Bob. They found all the envelopes he's supposedly
praying on in a dumpster behind the studio, with only the cash and checks
removed. The letters were still intact inside. Apparently, the "mail" he
grovels through on TV is only a prop. The tabloid show caught up with him
on a jet flight immediately after these allegations were aired. The
reporter trapped Tilton with a minicamera and microphone. From the angle of
the video, I'd say it was hidden in a a purse or briefcase. Tilton, in his
distinctive voice and with pompadour waving arrogantly, told the reporter he
was "full of *bleep*" and then told him to "go back to his New York Jews."
It was a very ugly scene, and I was sincerely hoping we'd seen the last of
Tilton.
I'm fairly certain it was on "Hard Copy," but I hate to say that's
definitely where I saw it.
It's a shame if Reverend Bob is back. Thank God none of our local
channels are carrying his particular brand of "christianity." His type are
the ones who give real Christians a very bad name. Not all Christians are
genocidal, bigoted hypocrites. I'm with Frank Zappa, as far as
televangelists go... Billy Graham is about the only one I've ever had any
respect at all for.
---doug

Bob

Feb 11, 2001, 5:46:09 PM2/11/01

<GO-SPAM-TI...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> http://www.salon.com/people/feature/2000/11/21/tilton/
>
> Apparently, BET Cable has seen fit to give this charlatan airtime again.
>
> -- Geno

And you find that surprising?

J.D. Baldwin

Feb 12, 2001, 4:18:56 PM2/12/01

In the previous article, MadCow57 <madc...@aol.com> wrote:
> James Randi is a hero. He should live forever.

If he did, would anyone believe him?
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

JSTONE9352

Feb 18, 2001, 9:09:13 PM2/18/01

>>I do not know how he has managed to stay in business. He was
>>busted for buying a hooker and watching her do things with
>>fruits and vegetables; despite that people still send him
>>money. Go figure.

I hear his followers in numbers are only
a shadow of what they once were.
Supposidly he has a secret Swiss Bank
Account he set up years ago that he
is drawing money from in order to
stay in business.

I haven't seen his syndicated religious show on my local cable system for
several years.

JSTONE9352

Feb 18, 2001, 9:13:20 PM2/18/01

>But at least he runs a "faith based" organization, which makes him okay
>in Dubya's books!

I see the potential for a lot of scandal
in this faith based ministry idea getting
millions of dollars for running social
programs. The checks and balances
had better be really good.

Bob