Christy Bradford, 65, hard-driving journalist helped Detroit News win Pulitzer Prize; scaled Mt. Kilimanjaro

ZapRat

May 8, 2008, 5:00:00 AM5/8/08
Christy Bradford: She was a hard-driving journalist

BY JOE ROSSITER • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • April 26, 2008
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080426/NEWS08/804260309/1010/NEWS08

bilde (JPEG Image, 180x270 pixels)
http://snipurl.com/27ucp [cmsimg_freep_com]

Reaching the top, both personally and professionally, was the ultimate
goal of Christy Bradford, and the feisty journalist usually proved
successful.

A former editor with the Free Press, who once scaled Mt. Kilimanjaro,
Ms. Bradford also helped the Detroit News win a Pulitzer Prize in 1994.

Ms. Bradford, whose newspaper career spanned over three decades and who
taught journalism at the University of Kansas, died of a heart attack
Thursday at her home in Kansas City, Mo. She was 65.

"Christy edited many of my stories when I worked the police beat, and
she was one hard-driving, hard-smoking editor," said former Free Press
reporter Jack Kresnak. "Her gallows humor came in handy when dealing
with tragedy on an everyday basis, and she could make everyone laugh."

Born in Marshalltown, Iowa, she was a 1964 graduate of the University of
Missouri School of Journalism.

Ms. Bradford worked as a reporter at several small papers before coming
to the Free Press in 1968 as a writer. She held several positions before
leaving the Free Press around 1980 to become managing editor at the
Democrat & Chronicle in Rochester, N.Y.

She was named managing editor of the Detroit News in 1986 and was key in
the paper winning a Pulitzer Prize for beat reporting in its coverage of
flagrant spending abuses at the Michigan House Fiscal Agency.

Ms. Bradford joined the faculty of the University of Kansas in Lawrence
in 1999.

Survivors include husband Ed Barton; a brother, and a sister. A memorial
service will be held Monday in Lawrence, Kan.

--
As of the day this message is being posted there are, lacking an
unanticipated alternate outcome, 257 days remaining in the imperial

Charlene

May 8, 2008, 1:16:51 PM5/8/08
On May 8, 4:00 am, ZapRat <zapratRATZAP...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Christy Bradford: She was a hard-driving journalist
>
> BY JOE ROSSITER • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • April 26, 2008http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080426/NEWS08/80426...
>
> bilde (JPEG Image, 180x270 pixels)http://snipurl.com/27ucp [cmsimg_freep_com]

> Reaching the top, both personally and professionally, was the ultimate
> goal of Christy Bradford, and the feisty journalist usually proved
> successful.

Has anyone in the history of professional journalism ever called a
male journalist feisty? I'm not complaining; I'd just like to know.

wd44