Judge Wapner, 97

cathyc...@aol.com

Feb 26, 2017, 3:06:36 PM2/26/17
People's Court from 1981-1993.

Louis Epstein

Feb 26, 2017, 3:12:59 PM2/26/17
cathyc...@aol.com wrote:
> People's Court from 1981-1993.

Does that include his time on Sliders?

-=-=-

Sarah Ehrett

Feb 26, 2017, 3:16:29 PM2/26/17
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 12:06:35 -0800 (PST), cathyc...@aol.com wrote:

>People's Court from 1981-1993.

RIP Judge. Where would Judge Judy be now without Joe Wapner.

Michael OConnor

Feb 26, 2017, 4:56:22 PM2/26/17
On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 3:06:36 PM UTC-5, cathyc...@aol.com wrote:
> People's Court from 1981-1993.

I used to watch Judge Wapner. Unlike Judge Judy, he showed you could do the show without screaming and yelling at everybody, and instead be genial to people. He also took the time to explain the laws to the people in layman's terms, and I learned a lot from him. Judge Wapner was a guest on a radio show I was listening to a few years after he left The People's Court, and he mentioned there that sometimes the cases on the show weren't so cut and dry and it took him an hour or two of studying the laws to reach the correct verdict.

J.D. Baldwin

Feb 26, 2017, 4:57:47 PM2/26/17

In the previous article, <cathyc...@aol.com> wrote:
> People's Court from 1981-1993.

Time for Wapner. Definitely time for Wapner.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

marcus

Feb 26, 2017, 5:34:04 PM2/26/17
Judge Judy is a despicable human being. She cares nothing about the law, only milking it to line her pockets

Wapner was far superior to Judy Fraud..

That Derek

Feb 26, 2017, 5:36:31 PM2/26/17
Judge Wapner and "The People's Court" were on-going plot devices in the film "Rain Man." It seems highly autistic Raymond Babbitt (Dustin Hoffman) would become incredibly upset if he was denied his daily dosage of it at 4:30PM or if there were any deviation rom this established routine (" ... three minutes to Wapner.").

When his younger brother Charlie (Tom Cruise) is schlepping Raymond cross-country, he finds himself stopping at a family's house practically begging them to invite them in so as to appease Raymond's Wapner fix.

Problem was: "The People's Court" was a syndicated programme and aired at different times in different markets throughout the USA. Thus, Raymond/Hoffman would not be able to see it every day at the assigned time.

Of course, nowadays, Cruise could've accessed it each day at 4:30 via some sort of device ...

cathyc...@aol.com

Feb 26, 2017, 5:44:11 PM2/26/17
Well, marcus knows all about despicable, being a charter member of that elite club.

Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest

Feb 26, 2017, 6:08:20 PM2/26/17
I think Judge Judy is great woman. She is into her 19th season with more than 160 shows per season- no one works harder.

She doesn't suffer fools easily. She lets them talk themselves into a corner, not only admitting to crimes, but tax evasion and child support avoidance.

I have seen her keep innocent people from embarrassing themselves. Not good entertainment, but humane.

She has done more to teach law to a wide audience. Great social lessons also taught- don't lend money, never co-sign, don't take naked deluded... The parent I never had.

Just about the most socially redeeming show on TV, I never miss an episode.

marcus

Feb 26, 2017, 7:33:54 PM2/26/17
You must be watching a different program I do.

The Judge Judy I know is hypocritical, unfair, mean-spirited, jumps to conclusions, and loves good theater as opposed to justice.

marcus

Feb 26, 2017, 7:34:59 PM2/26/17
**You must be watching a different program THAN I watch.

Louis Epstein

Feb 26, 2017, 7:35:01 PM2/26/17
Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Judge Judy is great woman. She is into her 19th season with
> more than 160 shows per season- no one works harder.
>
> She doesn't suffer fools easily. She lets them talk themselves into a
> corner, not only admitting to crimes, but tax evasion and child support
> avoidance.

She refuses to negotiate her salary,demands that the producers accept
her proposal as is before reading it.

For that reason alone,in their shoes I'd cancel her show.

marcus

Feb 26, 2017, 7:39:06 PM2/26/17
Of all the Judge shows there are, the one that is the best is Judge Mathis. Kind, compassionate, strict when need be.

But let's face it, all of those shows aren't legitimate...they try to get cases that they know will be stupid and provocative and the people will act and speak like idiots. It's show biz, not the law. Judy is the most overt example.

cathyc...@aol.com

Feb 26, 2017, 7:49:56 PM2/26/17
Then why do you watch?

David Carson

Feb 26, 2017, 7:52:25 PM2/26/17
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 16:39:04 -0800 (PST), marcus <marc...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Of all the Judge shows there are, the one that is the best is Judge Mathis. Kind, compassionate, strict when need be.

The only one I ever catch is Judy. I watch it mainly as an object lesson
for how to stay out of small claims court. The two simplest rules are 1)
control your dog and 2) don't loan money you want to get back without
getting a signature on a loan document. But I would never want Judy to be
my mediator. Most of the time, she just gets the gist of the case, makes
her judgement, dismisses the counterclaim, and shoos the parties out. I
don't think she could tell you an hour later any of the details of what
she just decided on.

I remember watching Mathis years ago. I liked him. My favorite was Mills
Lane.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

marcus

Feb 26, 2017, 7:55:38 PM2/26/17
On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 7:52:25 PM UTC-5, David Carson wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 16:39:04 -0800 (PST), marcus <>
Also, one must remember never to key someone's car. ;-)

Sarah Ehrett

Feb 26, 2017, 8:43:33 PM2/26/17
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 16:33:53 -0800 (PST), marcus <marc...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
I don't see that at all, marcus. Judge Judy tells it like it is. No
snowflake safe places in her court. Jump to conclusions? She has
already read and reviewed each case before the TV show is taped.
When she learns something new in questioning the participants she has
been a judge for so long she can make a decision on the spot.

Sarah Ehrett

Feb 26, 2017, 8:46:44 PM2/26/17
Including talking to the Mother Ship ?

J.D. Baldwin

Feb 28, 2017, 10:46:44 PM2/28/17

In the previous article, David Carson <da...@neosoft.com> wrote:
> The only one I ever catch is Judy. [...] But I would never want Judy
> to be my mediator. Most of the time, she just gets the gist of the
> case, makes her judgement, dismisses the counterclaim, and shoos the
> parties out. I don't think she could tell you an hour later any of
> the details of what she just decided on.

Just like a regular small claims magistrate.

As for Judy specifically, she's kind of entertaining, but it is my
considered and professional legal opinion that she's an idiot.

cathyc...@aol.com

Feb 28, 2017, 11:42:23 PM2/28/17
All judges on TV are idiots.

As for marcus, why is He afraid of a strong woman. I'm guessing he got spanked a lot as a child, probably as an adult as well.

Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest

Mar 1, 2017, 2:13:14 AM3/1/17
Well, whatever. She is the highest paid person on TV. She has a strong following. And I'll continue to watch.

Have you ever been to small claims court? J.J. hears two cases in a half hour. The courts I've been to hear about a dozen cases an hour. Most of the time the submissions are enough to decide a case, no testimony needed. The judge is not jumping to conclusions, most people are ignorant of the law and it is usually easy to know who is wrong.

You'll notice, Judge Judy allows the one at fault to do most of the talking. She lets them dig a hole. She gives them a copy of the tape and hopefully they'll learn their lesson by the time they watch it ten times.

My Judge Wapner story is about a case that "The People's Court" reran for years. This neighborhood bar I used to frequent had this creep sued on the show. He vandalized another person's car outside the bar after an argument. The plaintiff had several witnesses. The defendant's defense was he was too drunk to remember doing it. Anyway, every time that episode ran the bar would get a message to turn on Judge Wapner. Everyone would hoot and holler as if was "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". It was better when the creep defendant was there for happy hour.

Bryan Styble

Mar 1, 2017, 4:18:57 AM3/1/17
SELLI had a fascinating tale to tell:

My Judge Wapner story is about a case that "The People's Court" reran for years. This neighborhood bar I used to frequent had this creep sued on the show. He vandalized another person's car outside the bar after an argument. The plaintiff had several witnesses. The defendant's defense was he was too drunk to remember doing it. Anyway, every time that episode ran the bar would get a message to turn on Judge Wapner. Everyone would hoot and holler as if was "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" [at a midnight screening]. It was better when the creep defendant was there for happy hour.
Agree with you about Judge Judy, and I particularly enjoyed your Wapner story; thanks much for detailing it.

While I always enjoyed Wapner's genial manner, I don't have much of a "People's Court" story to tell, other than this: During the first few seasons of the Trebek era, when I taped my (losing*) "Jeopardy!" appearance, the program was still years away from its current home over at Sony in Culver City, and instead at first was taped in a rented studio at Metromedia Square by the Hollywood Freeway, where "The People's Court" was also taped, at least in those days.

And while Wapner never removed his robe to hang with us on-deck contestants, next door trusty Rusty Burrell, Wapner's late showbiz bailiff--and maybe once one in real life as well, I'm betting--did emerge once in full uniform between tapings to mingle with us, as we were all bracing with our fateful encounters with those confounding "Jeopardy!" signaling devices**.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
* But then seriously avenged in 1991 on "The Challengers with Dick Clark", when I enjoyed a five-appearance run and was invited back for their Tournament of Champions...only to have Clark cancel the syndicated quiz show before the tourney was held.
** Which, after all the successful seasons, Emmys and gazillions of bucks generated for Merv and company, you'd think they'd have tweaked by now. But no, not at all, according to the former contestants I've talked to.

Bryan Styble

Mar 1, 2017, 4:22:22 AM3/1/17
Uh...that sentence should have read:

..as we were all bracing FOR our fateful encounters with those confounding "Jeopardy!" signaling devices.

STYBLE/Florida

Sarah Ehrett

Mar 1, 2017, 11:37:56 AM3/1/17
On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 23:13:11 -0800 (PST), "Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love
Interest" <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The courts I've been to

LOL. How many courts have you appeared at, SELLI?
Message has been deleted

Sarah Ehrett

Mar 1, 2017, 12:08:54 PM3/1/17
On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 23:13:11 -0800 (PST), "Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love
Interest" <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>This neighborhood bar I used to frequent

SELLI was quite the barfly. :)

Drove a cab and drank to excess. Wow. No wonder you were a porn
movie fluffer.

Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest

Mar 1, 2017, 2:53:51 PM3/1/17
How many courts have I attended? Dozens. Every time I've gotten a traffic ticket I have felt it my duty to plead not guilty and appear. I sued once in small claims court and shown as a witness a few other times. Jury duty. Victim of an armed robbery, two day testify. Victim of a stolen car. Once I'm in the court house I'm making a day of it, including lunch in the cafeteria and drinks across the street. Not to mention I lived across the street from the Van Nuys courthouse during the Menendez trial, which was like the circus had come to town each day.

AND I still waiting for your lawyer to contact mine for besmirching your reputation. Ha ha ha!

Sarah Ehrett

Mar 1, 2017, 5:59:11 PM3/1/17
On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 11:53:47 -0800 (PST), "Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love
Interest" <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>How many courts have I attended? Dozens. Every time I've gotten a traffic ticket I have felt it my duty to plead not guilty and appear. I sued once in small claims court and shown as a witness a few other times. Jury duty. Victim of an armed robbery, two day testify. Victim of a stolen car. Once I'm in the court house I'm making a day of it, including lunch in the cafeteria and drinks across the street.

This just shows you've lived a rough and shitty lifestyle. But as
long as it runs with the bus schedule, yeah?

> Not to mention I lived across the street from the Van Nuys courthouse during the Menendez trial, which was like the circus had come to town each day.

Every word a lie. You also told AO you were a DoD employee working as
a government contractor. A taxi driver. A porn film fluffer. A
health care aide. Implied you were an ambulance attendant. SmELLI's
occupation of the day.

>AND I still waiting for your lawyer to contact mine for besmirching your reputation.

You think that is what you're doing? Nice confession. Now I'm
laughing. No one in their right mind would even begin to believe
your loony screeds.

>Ha ha ha!

Yee Haw, laugh at your psychosis !

<As if you could afford an attorney... >

Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest

Mar 1, 2017, 7:11:07 PM3/1/17
Yeah, it's difficult for some to imagine a life other than one sitting on the couch eating bon-bons watching soaps, marking one's life by how many different flavor potato chips they've had. And I'd feel sorry for you if you weren't such a bitter person. Oh well, things to do and people to meet. Ta!

J.D. Baldwin

Mar 1, 2017, 8:17:17 PM3/1/17

In the previous article, <cathyc...@aol.com> wrote:
> All judges on TV are idiots.

They are *now*. Wapner was actually okay. He'd even explain the
broad strokes of the legal reasoning behind his decisions.

Sarah Ehrett

Mar 1, 2017, 8:19:54 PM3/1/17
On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 16:11:06 -0800 (PST), "Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love
Interest" <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yeah, it's difficult for some to imagine a life other than one sitting on the couch eating bon-bons watching soaps, marking one's life by >how many different flavor potato chips they've had.

More revelations and confessions about your life!

>And I'd feel sorry for you if you weren't such a bitter person.

This from You're my stalker and self proclaimed Lesbian lover ?

>Oh well, things to do and people to meet. Ta!

Making up stories? Besmirching reputations?

LOL You're such a loser, SmELLI.

cathyc...@aol.com

Mar 1, 2017, 9:41:00 PM3/1/17
Usually the first person is good while all those who come after suck.