Sinclair Oil Corporation operating within the retail side of the petroleum business

Hoodoo

Nov 21, 2009, 10:42:35 PM11/21/09
Tuesday November 10, 2009

Sinclair selling gas stations

By Christine Laue
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
http://www.omaha.com/article/20091110/MONEY/911109987

Sinclair Oil Corporation is selling its remaining gas stations,
including six in Nebraska and four in Iowa.

But that doesn�t mean the stores known for their green dinosaur logo
will become extinct.

While some of the for-sale gas stations already are closed, the open
stores most likely will be resold and continue operating, said Mark
Raccuia, executive vice president with The Energy Exchange, the Chicago
commercial real estate firm hired by Sinclair to sell the remaining stores.

"So it won�t impact the consumers shopping at those locations and most
likely won�t impact the employees, because whoever buys them will need
to have employees in place," Raccuia said.

Closed stores often are redeveloped into other uses, said Raccuia, whose
company specializes in selling gas stations and convenience stores.

Sinclair earlier this year announced it was exiting the retail side of
the petroleum business by the first quarter of 2010.

The company, based in Salt Lake City, Utah, already has sold 60
locations on its own and now has hired The Energy Exchange to sell the
remaining 29 branded stations in six states � Colorado, Minnesota,
Montana, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Iowa.

The company�s move is part of a trend dating back four or five years and
involving other giant oil companies, including Exxon Mobil, BP and
Shell, Raccuia said.

"All of the major oil (companies) have made the decision that they want
to get away from the retail side of the business, because the greatest
risk they run is from the retail side," he said.

The companies are focusing on exploration and processing � or finding
raw oil, pulling it from the ground and distilling it, he said. By
moving away from retail sales, the companies eliminate their exposure to
the price fluctuations that can lead to losses, he said.

"It doesn�t mean Sinclair as a company or the brand goes away," Raccuia
said. "It just means they won�t operate stores."

The Sinclair gas stations are being offered for sale three ways.

One would allow a buyer to continue operating the station under a
10-year branding and fuel supply agreement, while another would allow it
to function as a gas station but without an agreement that Sinclair
would supply the fuel.

The third option is with a petroleum deed restriction, meaning the buyer
could redevelop the property for a different use and would be restricted
from selling fuel at that location.

The sale deadline is Dec. 15.

In Nebraska, those stores currently operating and for sale are at 2941
North West 48th St. in Lincoln, 1009 West Mission in Bellevue, 8307
Parkview Blvd. in La Vista, and 8242 Maple St. in Omaha. The closed
Sinclair stations for sale are at 1008 West Mission in Bellevue and 2801
Northwest 48th St. in Lincoln.

In Iowa, stations currently operating and for sale are at 1305 N. 25th
St. in Council Bluffs, 4218 Morningside Ave. in Sioux City, and 2153 Act
Circle in Iowa City. One of the for-sale Sinclair stations in Iowa, at
731 S. Riverside Drive in Iowa City, is closed.

--
"Think with your dipstick, Jimmy."

Kris Baker

Nov 21, 2009, 11:06:42 PM11/21/09

"Hoodoo" <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> Tuesday November 10, 2009
>
> Sinclair selling gas stations
>
> By Christine Laue
> WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
> http://www.omaha.com/article/20091110/MONEY/911109987

Sinclair. A true mystery. Their giant refinery sits just outside Rawlins
Wyoming on I-80.....and the gas prices in that area are the highest in
the state. Plus, the owner (Earl Holding) sure builds some ugly
hotels (Little America and Grand America) with 1970s decor.

Kris

R H Draney

Nov 22, 2009, 12:15:23 AM11/22/09
Hoodoo filted:

>Sinclair Oil Corporation is selling its remaining gas stations,
>including six in Nebraska and four in Iowa.

A few Sinclair stations opened up here in Phoenix over the last four or five
years, and I kept meaning to go in and apply for one of their cards so I could
add to my options for gas-and-go...maybe it's just as well I didn't....

Earlier this year, all the Mobil stations in town turned into other things, and
my keychain "Speedpass" didn't seem to work when I tried it on a pump in another
state a couple of months ago...I've also lost the use of my Citgo card when
7-Eleven changed their signs (I can still get cash advances on it at an ATM but
it seems to have absolutely no other function now)....r

--
A pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
An optometrist asks whether you see the glass

Louis Epstein

Nov 22, 2009, 11:33:37 AM11/22/09
Hoodoo <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote:
: Tuesday November 10, 2009

:
: Sinclair selling gas stations
:
: By Christine Laue
: WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
: http://www.omaha.com/article/20091110/MONEY/911109987
:
: Sinclair Oil Corporation is selling its remaining gas stations,
: including six in Nebraska and four in Iowa.
:
: But that doesn?t mean the stores known for their green dinosaur logo
: will become extinct.

I was aware that a production company still used the Sinclair name,
but I thought the green-dinosaur stations had become extinct in my
childhood!

Around here they all became Gettys circa 1970.

-=-=-

danny burstein

Nov 22, 2009, 11:55:50 AM11/22/09
In <hebp51$evo$2...@reader1.panix.com> Louis Epstein <l...@main.put.com> writes:

>I was aware that a production company still used the Sinclair name,
>but I thought the green-dinosaur stations had become extinct in my
>childhood!

A picture of one of them in the Las Vegas area
in Dec., 2008 (a year ago). I'm not sure if they're
being phased out.

http://www.dburstein.com/images/dinosaur.jpg

dan...@panix.com

Kris Baker

Nov 22, 2009, 1:40:10 PM11/22/09

"Louis Epstein" <l...@main.put.com> wrote in message

> Hoodoo <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> : Tuesday November 10, 2009
> :
> : Sinclair selling gas stations
> :
> : By Christine Laue
> : WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
> : http://www.omaha.com/article/20091110/MONEY/911109987
> :
> : Sinclair Oil Corporation is selling its remaining gas stations,
> : including six in Nebraska and four in Iowa.
> :
> : But that doesn?t mean the stores known for their green dinosaur logo
> : will become extinct.
>
> I was aware that a production company still used the Sinclair name,
> but I thought the green-dinosaur stations had become extinct in my
> childhood!
>
> Around here they all became Gettys circa 1970.

There's one about 1/3 mile from me, and several others in Utah.
But we're the headquarters state, and close to the Wyoming refineries.

Kris

MWB

Nov 22, 2009, 2:00:34 PM11/22/09

"Louis Epstein" <l...@main.put.com> wrote in message

Are the Getty stations in your area LUKOIL now???

GO PATRIOTS

Mark

Rick B.

Nov 22, 2009, 9:04:24 PM11/22/09
"MWB" <bic...@gmail.com> wrote in news:FSfOm.9845$cX4....@newsfe10.iad:

> "Louis Epstein" <l...@main.put.com> wrote in message
>> Hoodoo <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>> : Tuesday November 10, 2009
>> :
>> : Sinclair selling gas stations
>> :
>> : By Christine Laue
>> : WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
>> : http://www.omaha.com/article/20091110/MONEY/911109987
>> :
>> : Sinclair Oil Corporation is selling its remaining gas stations,
>> : including six in Nebraska and four in Iowa.
>> :
>> : But that doesn?t mean the stores known for their green dinosaur logo
>> : will become extinct.
>>
>> I was aware that a production company still used the Sinclair name,
>> but I thought the green-dinosaur stations had become extinct in my
>> childhood!
>>
>> Around here they all became Gettys circa 1970.

That was when Atlantic Richfield bought the original Sinclair company. For
antitrust reasons the Sinclair stations in the east were sold to BP;
however, in some areas the dealers were supplied by independent
distributors that defected to other brands. In Philadelphia's New Jersey
suburbs, the Sinclairs became BPs, then after a couple years all became
Citgos.

> Are the Getty stations in your area LUKOIL now???

Getty and Lukoil are still separate brands in NJ. The Mobil stations here
were supposed to become Lukoils; some have, but quite a few have been
turned into other brands (mostly Valero).

Allen Abel

Nov 22, 2009, 9:11:48 PM11/22/09
"Louis Epstein" <l...@main.put.com> wrote in message
> Hoodoo <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> : Tuesday November 10, 2009
> :
> : Sinclair selling gas stations
> :
> : By Christine Laue
> : WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
> : http://www.omaha.com/article/20091110/MONEY/911109987
> :
> : Sinclair Oil Corporation is selling its remaining gas stations,
> : including six in Nebraska and four in Iowa.
> :
> : But that doesn?t mean the stores known for their green dinosaur logo
> : will become extinct.
>
> I was aware that a production company still used the Sinclair name,
> but I thought the green-dinosaur stations had become extinct in my
> childhood!
>
> Around here they all became Gettys circa 1970.

And the ones in Central Illinois all switched to ARCO about the same time.

David Carson

Nov 22, 2009, 9:36:00 PM11/22/09
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:11:48 -0600, "Allen Abel" <ala...@dpc.net> wrote:

>"Louis Epstein" <l...@main.put.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Around here they all became Gettys circa 1970.
>>
>And the ones in Central Illinois all switched to ARCO about the same time.

In Houston, Diamond Shamrock.

MWB

Nov 22, 2009, 9:52:28 PM11/22/09

"Rick B." <deep...@sprynet.com.aq> wrote in message

That may be due to antitrust reasons too.

In MAINE, Gulf (Cumberland Farms) supplies EXXON stations and EXXONMOBIL
supplies MOBIL stations.

EXXONMOBIL wants to get out of the petroleum industry and they're selling
their terminals.

IRVING OIL just bought the EXMO South Portland, MAINE terminal and the
pipeline to Bangor.

I do a lot of work for Petro-Canada and they were swallowed up by Suncor.
Now I'm hearing that Suncor doesn't want anything to do with petroleum.

I worked for BP in the 1990's. Is GIBBS and BP still around ???

GO PATRIOTS

Mark

R H Draney

Nov 23, 2009, 12:32:47 AM11/23/09
David Carson filted:

We had those here for a while, and then they all turned into Valero....r

Louis Epstein

Nov 23, 2009, 3:25:56 PM11/23/09
MWB <bic...@gmail.com> wrote:
:
: "Louis Epstein" <l...@main.put.com> wrote in message
: news:hebp51$evo$2...@reader1.panix.com...
:> Hoodoo <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote:
:> : Tuesday November 10, 2009
:> :
:> : Sinclair selling gas stations
:> :
:> : By Christine Laue
:> : WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
:> : http://www.omaha.com/article/20091110/MONEY/911109987
:> :
:> : Sinclair Oil Corporation is selling its remaining gas stations,
:> : including six in Nebraska and four in Iowa.
:> :
:> : But that doesn?t mean the stores known for their green dinosaur logo
:> : will become extinct.
:>
:> I was aware that a production company still used the Sinclair name,
:> but I thought the green-dinosaur stations had become extinct in my
:> childhood!
:>
:> Around here they all became Gettys circa 1970.
:>
:
:
:
: Are the Getty stations in your area LUKOIL now???

Yes,first the Gettys combined with the Power Tests under the Getty name
after Texaco bought Getty and sold Power Test the name,and then the Gettys
became Lukoils.

But now that I think about it I'm trying to remember if it was actually
Flying A and not Sinclair that became Getty...

: GO PATRIOTS
:
:
: Mark
:
:
:> -=-=-

Louis Epstein

Nov 23, 2009, 3:28:31 PM11/23/09
Rick B. <deep...@sprynet.com.aq> wrote:
: "MWB" <bic...@gmail.com> wrote in news:FSfOm.9845$cX4....@newsfe10.iad:

:
:>
:> "Louis Epstein" <l...@main.put.com> wrote in message
:> news:hebp51$evo$2...@reader1.panix.com...
:>> Hoodoo <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote:
:>> : Tuesday November 10, 2009
:>> :
:>> : Sinclair selling gas stations
:>> :
:>> : By Christine Laue
:>> : WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
:>> : http://www.omaha.com/article/20091110/MONEY/911109987
:>> :
:>> : Sinclair Oil Corporation is selling its remaining gas stations,
:>> : including six in Nebraska and four in Iowa.
:>> :
:>> : But that doesn?t mean the stores known for their green dinosaur logo
:>> : will become extinct.
:>>
:>> I was aware that a production company still used the Sinclair name,
:>> but I thought the green-dinosaur stations had become extinct in my
:>> childhood!
:>>
:>> Around here they all became Gettys circa 1970.
:
: That was when Atlantic Richfield bought the original Sinclair company. For
: antitrust reasons the Sinclair stations in the east were sold to BP;

You're right,that's what happened to the local Sinclairs.

One BP station here changed to something else "because BP went out of the
state",but not long afterward the next stations along the road from that
one in each direction both became BPs after a corporate U-turn,though one
of those is now a Citgo and the other closed.

: however, in some areas the dealers were supplied by independent

: distributors that defected to other brands. In Philadelphia's New Jersey
: suburbs, the Sinclairs became BPs, then after a couple years all became
: Citgos.
:
:> Are the Getty stations in your area LUKOIL now???
:
: Getty and Lukoil are still separate brands in NJ. The Mobil stations here
: were supposed to become Lukoils; some have, but quite a few have been
: turned into other brands (mostly Valero).

Buying Citgo means supporting Hugo Chavez
and buying Lukoil means supporting Vladimir Putin;
I buy neither.

Message has been deleted

Brad Ferguson

Nov 23, 2009, 11:22:14 PM11/23/09
In article <heer9e$l8b$2...@reader1.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<l...@main.put.com> wrote:

> Buying Citgo means supporting Hugo Chavez
> and buying Lukoil means supporting Vladimir Putin;
> I buy neither.

I can see that. I haven't bought at Exxon since the Exxon Valdez spill.

There's an independent around here that has really good coffee. That's
where I go.

Louis Epstein

Nov 24, 2009, 9:11:52 PM11/24/09
Louis Epstein <l...@main.put.com> wrote:

: MWB <bic...@gmail.com> wrote:
: :
: : "Louis Epstein" <l...@main.put.com> wrote in message
: : news:hebp51$evo$2...@reader1.panix.com...
: :> Hoodoo <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote:
: :> : Tuesday November 10, 2009
: :> :
: :> : Sinclair selling gas stations
: :> :
: :> : By Christine Laue
: :> : WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
: :> : http://www.omaha.com/article/20091110/MONEY/911109987
: :> :
: :> : Sinclair Oil Corporation is selling its remaining gas stations,
: :> : including six in Nebraska and four in Iowa.
: :> :
: :> : But that doesn?t mean the stores known for their green dinosaur logo
: :> : will become extinct.
: :>
: :> I was aware that a production company still used the Sinclair name,
: :> but I thought the green-dinosaur stations had become extinct in my
: :> childhood!
: :>
: :> Around here they all became Gettys circa 1970.
: :>
: :
: :
: :
: : Are the Getty stations in your area LUKOIL now???
:
: Yes,first the Gettys combined with the Power Tests under the Getty name
: after Texaco bought Getty and sold Power Test the name,and then the Gettys
: became Lukoils.

On further investigation,there's a non-Lukoil Getty around here too!