Richard Dawson, 79

Bermuda999

Jun 3, 2012, 10:15:33 AM6/3/12

Richard Dawson
Dead at 79
TMZ
June 3, 2012

Richard Dawson, the legendary host of "Family Feud," has died from complications due to esophageal cancer ... this according to his son.

Gary Dawson posted a Facebook message early this morning that read:

"It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that my father passed away this evening from complications due to esophageal cancer. He was surrounded by his family. He was an amazing talent, a loving husband, a great dad, and a doting grandfather. He will be missed but always remembered..."

Dawson hosted "Feud" from 1976-1985, and then from 1994-1995. He was also famous for being a regular on "The Match Game" and for appearing in the classic Arnold Schwarzenegger action film "The Running Man."

Dawson was married to Gretchen Johnson ... interesting fact -- he met her when she was part of a contestant family on The Feud and got hitched in 1991. Dawson was famous during the first run of the show for kissing all the female contestants -- he was known as "The Kissing Bandit." But in the second run, he kissed no one -- a promise he made to Gretchen.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/03/richard-dawson-dead-family-feud-host/

Kris Baker

Jun 3, 2012, 10:40:41 AM6/3/12
"Bermuda999" <bermu...@aol.com> wrote in message

>http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/03/richard-dawson-dead-family-feud-host/

(snipped text of obit because my newsreader won't put it in quotes.)

I find it interesting that there's no mention of Dawson's role in
Hogan's Heroes. His character was a good foil to the loosy-
goosy Hogan.

But there's a dark side to Dawson and Bob Crane working
together.

It was Dawson who introduced Crane to John Carpenter, who
assisted Crane in making sex videos and who is generally
believed to have bludgeoned Crane to death.

Kris

orpheus

Jun 3, 2012, 10:50:30 AM6/3/12
On Jun 3, 8:40 am, "Kris Baker" <parallelcoo...@ggmail.com> wrote:
> "Bermuda999" <bermuda...@aol.com> wrote in message
Who's left from the cast of Hogan's Heroes?

Tim J.

Jun 3, 2012, 10:59:21 AM6/3/12
Robert Clary (Cpl. Louis LeBeau)
Kenneth Washington (Sgt. Richard Baker)
Cynthia Lynn (Helga)

Michael OConnor

Jun 3, 2012, 11:08:48 AM6/3/12
Most people think Dawson committed suicide about 20 years ago because
they get him confused with Ray Combs.

Dawson played a very effective villain in The Running Man, and I
remember when it came out a lot of people thought he might get an
Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. Oddly, he never starred
in another feature film after that, but I would imagine he must have
gotten other offers to appear in feature films based on his
performance in The Running Man.

Kris Baker

Jun 3, 2012, 11:27:20 AM6/3/12

"orpheus" <pbl...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
----------------------

You couldn't find anyone from the cast, still alive when you
checked?

Kris

Kris Baker

Jun 3, 2012, 11:39:21 AM6/3/12

"Michael OConnor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message
He has few credits past that 1987 role, per the IMDb.

2009 Game Show Awards (TV movie)
Himself - Interviewee (also archive footage)

1994-1995 Family Feud (TV series)
Host

1994 The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (TV series)
Himself -- 8 September 1994 (1994) . Himself

1988 Richard Dawson and You Bet Your Life (TV movie)
Himself - Host

He'd have been about 54, which is an odd age to retire -
and his film roles came during the Hogan's Heroes period.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206241/

He married that young women and retired on his money,
I guess.

Kris

Bermuda999

Jun 3, 2012, 12:11:35 PM6/3/12
On Sunday, June 3, 2012 10:59:21 AM UTC-4, Tim J. wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 07:50:30 -0700 (PDT), orpheus
>
> wrote:
>
> >On Jun 3, 8:40 am, "Kris Baker"
> wrote:
> >> "Bermuda999" <bermuda...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> (snipped text of obit because my newsreader won't put it in quotes.)
> >>
> >> I find it interesting that there's no mention of Dawson's role in
> >> Hogan's Heroes.   His character was a good foil to the loosy-
> >> goosy Hogan.
> >>
> >> But there's a dark side to Dawson and Bob Crane working
> >> together.
> >>
> >> It was Dawson who introduced Crane to John Carpenter, who
> >> assisted Crane in making sex videos and who is generally
> >> believed to have bludgeoned Crane to death.
> >>
> >> Kris
> >
> >Who's left from the cast of Hogan's Heroes?
>
> Robert Clary (Cpl. Louis LeBeau)
> Kenneth Washington (Sgt. Richard Baker)
> Cynthia Lynn (Helga)

Barbara Babcock (Mama Bear)

Bermuda999

Jun 3, 2012, 11:59:57 AM6/3/12
to Kris Baker
On Sunday, June 3, 2012 10:40:41 AM UTC-4, Kris Baker wrote:
> "Bermuda999" <bermu...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> >http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/03/richard-dawson-dead-family-feud-host/
>
> (snipped text of obit because my newsreader won't put it in quotes.)
>
> I find it interesting that there's no mention of Dawson's role in
> Hogan's Heroes. His character was a good foil to the loosy-
> goosy Hogan.

That has since been added to the story. The penultimate paragraph now reads:

"Dawson hosted "Feud" from 1976-1985, and then from 1994-1995. He was also famous for being a regular on "The Match Game" and for appearing in the classic Arnold Schwarzenegger action film "The Running Man." One of his biggest roles -- Dawson played Capt. Peter Newkirk on "Hogan's Heros," a wildly popular show in the 60's."

Okay, it's not a complete sentence, and Heroes is misspelled, but there is a Hogan's mention.

Still no mention (in this and many of the wire stories) of his stint on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In

Brad Ferguson

Jun 3, 2012, 1:26:06 PM6/3/12
In article <dd0b4d06-70ce-4de9...@googlegroups.com>,
Bermuda999 <bermu...@aol.com> wrote:

> Still no mention (in this and many of the wire stories) of his stint on Rowan
> & Martin's Laugh-In

He and Larry Hovis (d. 2003) went to Laugh-In together in 1971, after
Hogan's was done. Hovis was gone after 1971-72 while Dawson remained
for the final season.

marti...@yahoo.com

Jun 3, 2012, 1:20:51 PM6/3/12
Odd coincidence:

Ray Combs (1996) and Richard Dawson (2012) both died on June 2nd.

Mrs Irish Mike

Jun 3, 2012, 4:23:39 PM6/3/12
On Jun 3, 7:15 am, Bermuda999 <bermuda...@aol.com> wrote:

> Richard Dawson, ... has died from complications due to esophageal cancer ...

> Dawson was famous during the first run of the show for kissing all the female contestants -- he was known as "The Kissing Bandit."

Recently in the press;, "A number of recent studies have noted links
between oral cancer, HPV, genital warts and oral sex."
http://www.tree.com/health/warts-causes-oral-cancer.aspx

Just saying...

Kris Baker

Jun 3, 2012, 4:43:59 PM6/3/12

<marti...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
--------

That's like the two M*A*S*H Henry Blake actors (Roger Bowen and
McLean Stevenson) dying a day apart of heart attacks.

Kris

Bo Bielefeldt AKA The Fireball

Jun 3, 2012, 6:02:01 PM6/3/12
We've had the LET'S FUCK WITH THE IMDB Award and the LET'S FUCK WITH
THE GRAMMYS.Award.

Here's an award for everybody's consideration for the 2012 AODP Award
Ceremony: LET'S FUCK WITH THE GAME SHOWS Award. A couple of us have
hit with both Dickie Dawson and Dickie Clark.

Corby Gilmore

Jun 3, 2012, 7:26:10 PM6/3/12
Bermuda999 (bermu...@aol.com) writes:
> On Sunday, June 3, 2012 10:59:21 AM UTC-4, Tim J. wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 07:50:30 -0700 (PDT), orpheus
>>=20
>> wrote:
>>=20

>> >Who's left from the cast of Hogan's Heroes?
>>=20
>> Robert Clary (Cpl. Louis LeBeau)
>> Kenneth Washington (Sgt. Richard Baker)
>> Cynthia Lynn (Helga)
>
> Barbara Babcock (Mama Bear)

Bernard Fox (Col. Crittenden)

Louis Epstein

Jun 3, 2012, 11:03:53 PM6/3/12
marti...@yahoo.com <marti...@yahoo.com> wrote:
: On Jun 3, 11:08?am, Michael OConnor <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
:> Most people think Dawson committed suicide about 20 years ago because
:> they get him confused with Ray Combs.
:>
:> Dawson played a very effective villain in The Running Man, and I
:> remember when it came out a lot of people thought he might get an
:> Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. ?Oddly, he never starred
:> in another feature film after that, but I would imagine he must have
:> gotten other offers to appear in feature films based on his
:> performance in The Running Man.
:
: Odd coincidence:
:
: Ray Combs (1996) and Richard Dawson (2012) both died on June 2nd.

Is that what the survey says is the likeliest day for FF hosts to die?

-=-=-

Alison MacIntyre

Jun 3, 2012, 11:15:18 PM6/3/12
On Jun 3, 9:03 pm, Louis Epstein <l...@main.put.com> wrote:
> martinj...@yahoo.com <martinj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> : On Jun 3, 11:08?am, Michael OConnor <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
> :> Most people think Dawson committed suicide about 20 years ago because
> :> they get him confused with Ray Combs.
> :>
> :> Dawson played a very effective villain in The Running Man, and I
> :> remember when it came out a lot of people thought he might get an
> :> Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. ?Oddly, he never starred
> :> in another feature film after that, but I would imagine he must have
> :> gotten other offers to appear in feature films based on his
> :> performance in The Running Man.
> :
> : Odd coincidence:
> :
> : Ray Combs (1996) and Richard Dawson (2012) both died on June 2nd.
>
> Is that what the survey says is the likeliest day for FF hosts to die?

Great timing... for the airing of the Hatfields and McCoys on the
History Channel... the original Family Feud.