Riley Maple, son of actress/songstress Mare Winningham

Jesse McCann

Aug 14, 2005, 7:30:12 PM8/14/05
I'm sad to report the death of Riley Maple, born in 1981, son of Mare
Winningham. He was her oldest son, studying acting at LACC's Acting
Academy, and showed promise. He was, however, a troubled soul, it
seems. He took his own life. RIP Riley.

Terry Ellsworth

Aug 14, 2005, 8:03:03 PM8/14/05
Mare Winningham is a "songstress?" I thought she was just an actress?

Terry Ellsworth

Mordecai

Aug 14, 2005, 8:09:20 PM8/14/05
"Terry Ellsworth" <terry...@aol.com> wrote:

> Mare Winningham is a "songstress?" I thought she was just an actress?

She has recorded a couple of folksy albums and did her own singing in
her Oscar-nominated performance in "Georgia." Condolences to her and her
family.

--
M.

deb...@comcast.net

Aug 14, 2005, 8:35:22 PM8/14/05
I still think of Mare Winningham as one of the "brat pack"! I'm
surprised she had a 24 year old son!

nixi...@earthlink.net

Aug 14, 2005, 9:37:27 PM8/14/05
I'm surprised too (I'm about 7 weeks older than Mare...how does that
make me feel)
Guessing my age is why I don't engage in some of that puerile name
calling that characterizes most of the political threads on this board.

mavman

Aug 14, 2005, 10:28:22 PM8/14/05
She does seem too young to have a 24 year old. The son's last name was
Maple. If he was 24, he was born 2 years before Mare married Mr.
Maple, and he was born the same year she was divorced from her first
husband. Was her first husband his father, and then he took the second
husband's name later? Or did she and Mr. Maple have a baby the same
year she was still married to Mr. Martinez?

In any case, it's an unthinkable tragedy and my sympathies are with all
the Maples.

deb...@comcast.net

Aug 14, 2005, 10:33:37 PM8/14/05
Mare's first husband was actor A Martinez. His Imdb bio lists 3
children, but not Riley.

Laurie Mann

Aug 15, 2005, 5:45:40 AM8/15/05
Right, but her bio does:

Children: Riley Maple (b. 1981), Paddy Maple, Jack Maple (b. 1985),
Calla Louise Maple (b. 1987).

She would have been 22 when she had Riley, which was certainly young to
have a first child in the '80s, but not impossible. I was 23 when I
had my daughter in 1980, and was one of the youngest mothers on my
maternity ward.

It also takes a little time to get divorced - she could have broken up
with her first husband and gotten pregnant before getting divorced from
him (I had no idea she'd been married at A. Martinez!).

Still haven't seen any official confirmation of this, and I hope that's
one of those Internet rumors. Ironically, she's currently in a play
where her character "carries the burden of a lost child..."

Laurie Mann
Dead People Service
http://www.deadpeople.info

Squib

Aug 15, 2005, 9:28:55 PM8/15/05

<deb...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I still think of Mare Winningham as one of the "brat pack"! I'm
> surprised she had a 24 year old son!

Both Winningham and Kevin Spacey went to high school together. So
she would be old enough to have a kid that age. Actually even in the
1980s she would have been a little too old to be part of the "brat pack",
of Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Charlie Sheen, Robert
Downey Jr., Mary Stuart Masterson, etc.

Squib

Aug 15, 2005, 10:32:13 PM8/15/05

"Laurie Mann" <lau...@dpsinfo.com> wrote in message

> Right, but her bio does:
>
> Children: Riley Maple (b. 1981), Paddy Maple, Jack Maple (b. 1985),
> Calla Louise Maple (b. 1987).
>
> She would have been 22 when she had Riley, which was certainly young to
> have a first child in the '80s, but not impossible. I was 23 when I
> had my daughter in 1980, and was one of the youngest mothers on my
> maternity ward.

Loretta Lynn had her first baby when she was 14 years old. She was a
grandmother by the time she was 30. Compared to this, 22 seems almost
like middle aged. In fact most girls before the 20th century started having
kids very young. This was probably more out of necessity than anything
else, life expectancy was much lower, and I imagine that women's fertility
rates dropped dramatically as they approached their 30s.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jesse McCann

Aug 16, 2005, 7:40:48 PM8/16/05
>>Searched around online and see no official news about Riley's passing.

Anyone have a link to news story? <<

You may not find one. I have second-hand knowledge. My daughter was a
good friend of Riley's and he has spent time at our house. I spent
Sunday consoling my daughter, and she is still very upset, of course.
One way to relieve the pressure on myself was to say something
publically about Riley's passing. The press might not pick it up.

deb...@comcast.net

Aug 16, 2005, 8:01:06 PM8/16/05
Seems strange his death wouldn't at least rate a mention in Variety...

~Mary

Aug 18, 2005, 2:19:33 PM8/18/05
LadyMusicFan wrote:

> In article <1124062212.7...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

> Searched around online and see no official news about Riley's passing.
>
> Anyone have a link to news story?

I couldn't find anything except this written in someone's personal
writings. http://www.7thsign.com/~linkaloo/?cat=10

I did find web pages with his name listed at the school he was attending
and some plays that he had been in. Try searching for "Riley Mapel".
That is the way it is spelled on these sites.

jlees...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2013, 10:29:40 PM7/21/13
On Sunday, August 14, 2005 5:03:03 PM UTC-7, Terry Ellsworth wrote:
> Mare Winningham is a "songstress?" I thought she was just an actress?
>
> Terry Ellsworth

I saw her sing in San Jose. She has a very good voice.

mikeca...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2013, 12:59:05 PM7/22/13
Thanks for wasting our time by bringing up an 8 year old obit.

Brigid Nelson

Jul 22, 2013, 1:02:50 PM7/22/13
I believe she was on the Gong Show with her guitar, back in the 70's.

brigid

mjpi...@att.net

Aug 25, 2013, 10:01:23 AM8/25/13
On Sunday, August 14, 2005 7:35:22 PM UTC-5, Obie wrote:
> I still think of Mare Winningham as one of the "brat pack"! I'm
> surprised she had a 24 year old son!

I think that she was actually pregnant when the filmed St. Elmo's Fire

Bill Schenley

Aug 26, 2013, 1:02:07 AM8/26/13
> Loretta Lynn had her first baby when she was 14 years old.

She had her first baby at 16.

It made for a better tale in "Coal Miner's Daughter," but marriage records show that she was 15 when she was married to Doo ... Her daughter, Betty Sue, who was her oldest child, was born in 1948, 3-4 months after Lynn turned 16.

donnaj...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2014, 2:51:49 AM6/4/14

vernett...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2014, 12:38:47 PM12/17/14
You witches should be ashamed of yourselves, a man has died; his mother and father, heart broken and his siblings incredibly shocked, hurt, depressed, a sibling is gone. For you to sit and gossip about him, his mother makes you all incredibly evil, possibly jealous of her. I don't have to know this woman to feel her pain and anguish even today. The young man was her first son. I can't imagine life without my young, talented son. Heart broken, lost, blaming myself ...what could I have done to help my child? My prayers and sincere condolences in hearing about her loss. A fan~

maureen...@gmail.com

May 16, 2015, 7:51:17 PM5/16/15
Vernett right on

effins...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2016, 11:57:19 AM7/5/16
On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 4:51:17 PM UTC-7, maureen...@gmail.com wrote:
> Vernett right on

Ill light this back up if anyone reads it....I still think about that guy every day....he was a very good friend....ill never see him ride his skateboard to my house...he will never surprise me by just showing up...we will never have a beer together....Vernett is right....this is about Riley...not about anything else.

rale...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2016, 9:15:18 PM8/2/16
Your info about Loretta Lynn was wrong.

Kenny McCormack

Aug 2, 2016, 9:48:39 PM8/2/16
In article <9136f354-471e-4ba0...@googlegroups.com>,
<rale...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Loretta Lynn had her first baby when she was 14 years old. She was a
>> grandmother by the time she was 30. Compared to this, 22 seems almost
>> like middle aged. In fact most girls before the 20th century started having
>> kids very young. This was probably more out of necessity than anything
>> else, life expectancy was much lower, and I imagine that women's fertility
>> rates dropped dramatically as they approached their 30s.
>
>Your info about Loretta Lynn was wrong.

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretta_Lynn#Children_and_grandchildren)
the correct numbers are 16 & 34.

So, previous poster was wrong - but not by *that* much (only 4).

lines long. As such, it violates one or more Usenet RFCs. In order to remain in
compliance with said RFCs, the actual sig can be found at the following web address:
http://www.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Snicker

tthro...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2017, 6:29:14 PM8/25/17

tthro...@gmail.com