Jack Riley, 80, played Mr. Carlin on "The Bob Newhart Show"

Diner

Aug 19, 2016, 4:14:56 PM8/19/16
One thing this article omits is that for several years beginning in 1997, Jack was a semi-regular on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," making dozens of appearances in skits where he played various interview subjects (most notably a hilarious impression of the bizarre "Heaven's Gate" cult leader Marshall Applewhite).

http://deadline.com/2016/08/jack-riley-dead-bob-newhart-show-rugrats-mel-brooks-movies-1201806165/
Jack Riley Dies: ‘Bob Newhart Show’ & Mel Brooks Movie Actor Was 80
by Erik Pedersen
August 19, 2016 12:06pm

Jack Riley, a veteran of The Bob Newhart Show and several Mel Brooks films who also voiced a popular Rugrats character, died today in Los Angeles. He was 80. Riley’s wife Ginger Lawrence told Deadline he died of pneumonia and infection.

Along with playing the neurotic Elliot Carlin on Bob Newhart and appearing in Brooks films including High Anxiety and History of the World, Part I, Riley voiced Stu Pickles on Nickelodeon’s Rugrats and its follow-up series All Growed Up!

A Cleveland native, Riley began his career as a regular on the 1962-63 ABC sitcom Occasional Wife, which was narrated by Vin Scully. The actor went on to guest on dozens of popular TV series ranging from I Dream of Jeannie and Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In to The Partridge Family and Hogan’s Heroes before landing what would become his signature role.

The Bob Newhart Show premiered in September 1972 and became a hit for CBS. Starring Newhart as a Chicago psychologist, the smart, quirky sitcom was among the top 20 programs in primetime for its first three seasons. Riley’s neuroses-laden Elliot appeared in nearly 50 episodes as a patient of Bob’s who had a persecution complex and constantly put himself down. He appeared in all six seasons of the show, which also starred Suzanne Pleshette and Marcia Wallace.

Riley continued to work in elsewhere in TV during Bob Newhart‘s run, guesting on such classic comedies as M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore and Happy Days along with dramas including Cannon, Columbo and Police Woman. In 1976, he played a Hollywood executive in Silent Movie, Brooks’ follow-up to Young Frankenstein, and Riley would go on to appear in the filmmaker’s High Anxiety (1978), History of the World, Part I (1981) — memorably playing a Roman soldier stoned on “Roman Red” — and Spaceballs (1987).

Riley continued to work throughout the 80s and 90s anf through the 2000s, with credits too numerous to name. His later-career highlight was voicing Stu Pickles, the father of Tommy and Dil on Rugrats. Riley appeared on more than 140 episodes of the toon, reprising the role in the 1998-2003 film trilogy and several episodes of follow-up series All Growed Up!

Among other TV shows on which Riley appeared in multiple episodes are The Red Skelton Show, Barney Miller, Diff’rent Strokes, Night Court and Son of the Beach.

Copyright © 2016 Penske Business Media, LLC. All rights reserved.

David Carson

Aug 19, 2016, 5:07:15 PM8/19/16
>http://deadline.com/2016/08/jack-riley-dead-bob-newhart-show-rugrats-mel-brooks-movies-1201806165/
>Jack Riley Dies: ‘Bob Newhart Show’ & Mel Brooks Movie Actor Was 80
>by Erik Pedersen
>August 19, 2016 12:06pm

>Riley continued to work in elsewhere in TV during Bob Newhart‘s run, guesting on such classic comedies as M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore and Happy Days along with dramas including Cannon, Columbo and Police Woman. In 1976, he played a Hollywood executive in Silent Movie, Brooks’ follow-up to Young Frankenstein, and Riley would go on to appear in the filmmaker’s High Anxiety (1978), History of the World, Part I (1981) — memorably playing a Roman soldier stoned on “Roman Red” — and Spaceballs (1987).

He was the only actor I recognized in "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!"

(That's their exclamation point, not mine. I wasn't implying it was
exciting that I recognized him.)

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

RH Draney

Aug 19, 2016, 8:56:31 PM8/19/16
On 8/19/2016 1:14 PM, Diner wrote:

> The Bob Newhart Show premiered in September 1972 and became a hit for CBS. Starring Newhart as a Chicago psychologist, the smart, quirky sitcom was among the top 20 programs in primetime for its first three seasons. Riley’s neuroses-laden Elliot appeared in nearly 50 episodes as a patient of Bob’s who had a persecution complex and constantly put himself down. He appeared in all six seasons of the show, which also starred Suzanne Pleshette and Marcia Wallace.

I was here when the deaths of Carlin's fellow group-therapy members Mr
Peterson (John Fiedler) and Mr Gianelli (Noam Pitlik) were
announced...Mrs Bakerman (Florida Friebus) had already passed, and I
assume on the basis of his age at the time that Mr Vickers (Lucien
Scott) is no longer with us....

This leaves Mr Hurd (Oliver Clark) and Ms Nardo (Renée Lippin) as the
only memorable group patients surviving (Howard Hesseman was along for a
brief story-arc, and there were a number of one-shots over the years)....r

A Friend

Aug 19, 2016, 10:39:00 PM8/19/16
In article <np89q...@news4.newsguy.com>, RH Draney
<dado...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 8/19/2016 1:14 PM, Diner wrote:
> >
> > The Bob Newhart Show premiered in September 1972 and became a hit for CBS.
> > Starring Newhart as a Chicago psychologist, the smart, quirky sitcom was
> > among the top 20 programs in primetime for its first three seasons. Riley零
> > neuroses-laden Elliot appeared in nearly 50 episodes as a patient of Bob零
> > who had a persecution complex and constantly put himself down. He appeared
> > in all six seasons of the show, which also starred Suzanne Pleshette and
> > Marcia Wallace.
>
> I was here when the deaths of Carlin's fellow group-therapy members Mr
> Peterson (John Fiedler) and Mr Gianelli (Noam Pitlik) were
> announced...Mrs Bakerman (Florida Friebus) had already passed, and I
> assume on the basis of his age at the time that Mr Vickers (Lucien
> Scott) is no longer with us....

Presuming that was his real name, the only Lucien Scott in the Social
Security Death Index who could possibly have been the actor was born on
17 June 1922 and died on 23 March 1998.