Stephen Furst, 63, actor (Flounder in "Animal House," Dr. Axelrod on "St. Elsewhere")

Diner

Jun 17, 2017, 7:43:44 PM6/17/17
http://deadline.com/2017/06/stephen-furst-dies-animal-house-obituary-1202115443/
Stephen Furst Dies: ‘Animal House’, ‘St. Elsewhere’ Actor Was 63
by Greg Evans
June 17, 2017 4:21pm

Actor Stephen Furst, best known for his performances as the hapless Flounder in Animal House and put-upon rookie doc Eliott Axelrod on St. Elsewhere, died yesterday at his home in Moorpark, California, near Los Angeles, due to complications from diabetes.

His death was announced by his sons Nathan and Griffith Furst, who asked that fans “celebrate his life by watching one of his movies or use one of his bits to make someone else laugh – really, really hard.” See their entire statement below.

Furst had a couple of small credits before landing the part of Kent “Flounder” Dorfman in 1978’s Animal House. He went on to reprise the role in TV’s short-lived Delta House in 1979.

Guest credits on series like The Jeffersons, Chips and Newhart preceded his second most-memorable role, as Dr. Axelrod on the groundbreaking St. Elsewhere, a performance by turns comic and dramatic as he was forever subjected to the ire of William Daniels’ tyrannical Dr. Mark Craig.

He later played Vir Cotto in the 1994-98 Babylon 5, and was the voice of Booster in TV’s Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, among numerous other roles. He was also a spokesperson for the American Diabetes Association.

Here is the statement tweeted by his sons.

=====
Actor and comedian Stephen Furst died on June 16, 2017 due to complications from diabetes.
Steve has a long list of earthly accomplishments. He was known to the world as an brilliant and prolific actor and filmmaker, but to his family and many dear friends he was also a beloved husband, father and kind friend whose memory will always be a blessing.
To truly honor him, do not cry for the loss of Stephen Furst. But rather, enjoy memories of all the times he made you snicker, laugh, or even snort to your own embarrassment. He intensely believed that laugher is the best therapy, and he would want us to practice that now.
If you knew him personally, remember his gift for lighting up a room. And no matter who you are, when you think of Steve, instead of being sad, celebrate his life by watching one of his movies or use one of his bits to make someone else laugh - really, really hard.
Sincerely,
His sons Nathan and Griffith Furst
======

And here he’s remembered by his Babylon 5 costar Bruce Boxleitner:

=====
Bruce Boxleitner @boxleitnerbruce
I just received news of the passing of another member of our #Babylon5 family. Stephen Furst "Vir Cotto," RIP, my friend.
7:21 PM - 17 Jun 2017
=====

Copyright © 2017 Penske Business Media, LLC. All rights reserved.

danny burstein

Jun 17, 2017, 7:52:59 PM6/17/17
In <f34fcbb5-1ed3-47c8...@googlegroups.com> Diner <bway...@gmail.com> writes:

>http://deadline.com/2017/06/stephen-furst-dies-animal-house-obituary-120211=
>5443/
>Stephen Furst Dies: =E2=80=98Animal House=E2=80=99, =E2=80=98St. Elsewhere=
>=E2=80=99 Actor Was 63
>by Greg Evans
>June 17, 2017 4:21pm

>Actor Stephen Furst, best known for his performances as the hapless Flounde=
>r in Animal House and put-upon rookie doc Eliott Axelrod on St. Elsewhere, =
>died yesterday at his home in Moorpark, California, near Los Angeles, due t=
>o complications from diabetes.

Dammit. Our last hope in finding out who started
firing the missiles in WW-III...

dan...@panix.com

Michael OConnor

Jun 17, 2017, 11:30:49 PM6/17/17
He had a lot of classic scenes in Animal House, such as this one, when it looked like he couldn't decide whether to shoot at the horse or throw the gun at him before firing it in the air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbRjfsHzUNI

Hank M

Jun 18, 2017, 8:43:22 AM6/18/17
On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 7:43:44 PM UTC-4, Diner wrote:

> Actor Stephen Furst, best known for his performances as the hapless Flounder in Animal House and put-upon rookie doc Eliott Axelrod on St. Elsewhere, died yesterday at his home in Moorpark, California, near Los Angeles, due to complications from diabetes.

I remember the scene from "St. Elsewhere" where he accidentally electrocuted the bird he was caring for.

Michael OConnor

Jun 18, 2017, 9:24:20 AM6/18/17

> I remember the scene from "St. Elsewhere" where he accidentally electrocuted the bird he was caring for.

His character Dr. Axelrod spent about two seasons caring for the thoroughly miserable Mrs Hufnagel (Florence Halop), a perpetual patient at the hospital with one malady or another, who finally died when she was crushed to death when the electric hospital bed malfuntioned on both ends like a giant pair of pliers.

Dr. Axelrod died late in the series of a heart attack IIRC.