Dan Achen, Junkhouse guitarist, 51

La N

Mar 17, 2010, 6:35:20 PM3/17/10
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/738790

Junkhouse guitarist Achen dies

March 17, 2010
Graham Rockingham
The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 17, 2010)

Dan Achen, former lead guitarist for the Hamilton rock band Junkhouse, has
died of a suspected heart attack. He was 51.

Achen, owner of Catherine North recording studio in downtown Hamilton, was
playing a game of pickup hockey with friends at Oakville's Glen Abbey arena
late Monday when he suddenly dropped to the ice.

"There were paramedics on the scene within minutes but they couldn't revive
him," said Duke Foster, a sound engineer at Catherine North and one of
Achen's hockey teammates.

Achen was part of a close-knit crew of music industry insiders who had been
getting together for the past 10 years to play a friendly game every Monday
and Thursday.

"We realized we shared a love for both rock 'n' roll and hockey and we
quickly became friends," said Andy Curran, a prominent artist manager with
SRO Productions. "Our most recent addition to the team was (former Canadian
Idol contestant) Rex Goudie. Dan was slotted to produce Rex's next record."

During the '90s, Achen was a key part of the band Junkhouse, which scored
international success with the hit Out of My Head.

Achen, originally from Regina, moved to Hamilton in 1981 and became part of
the local music scene.

"He rode from Regina on his Kawasaki Ninja (motorcycle) all the way to
Hamilton," said Junkhouse frontman Tom Wilson. "He stopped at the Gown and
Gavel and that's where he met Colin Cripps. That's basically how we all met
him."

Achen formed a band called the Go Devils while living with Cripps, who is
now a sought-after session guitarist for artists such as Bryan Adams.
Eventually, both would play in Junkhouse.

Achen was part of the wedding party when Cripps married singer-songwriter
Kathleen Edwards.

"Dan Achen was a fireball redhead and his personality was a pretty good
match for that red hair," Edwards said. "He was a great guitarist. He loved
guitars."

Several internationally known artists have recorded at Catherine North over
the past 10 years, including Achen's niece Feist. At a concert two years ago
at Hamilton Place, the Grammy-nominated singer held up her favourite red
guitar and proudly announced that it was a gift from "Uncle Dan."

Achen co-produced the 2008 album Bring Me Your Love by City and Colour, a
solo project by Dallas Green of platinum-selling rock band Alexisonfire.
Green won a songwriting Juno for three songs from the album.

"Making that record with Dan was one of the best experiences I ever had,"
Green said yesterday in a statement. "Not only in my career but in my life
as well. I am deeply saddened by the loss of someone who I considered a good
friend and a wonderful talent. I will miss you."

Achen is survived by his mother Phyllis, brother Norm, and sisters Lyn,
Lynda and June. Achen is also survived by his 13-year-old son Riley and
Riley's mother, Judy Donnelly.

Funeral arrangements will be announced later this week.

grock...@thespec.com

La N

Mar 17, 2010, 6:37:02 PM3/17/10
La N wrote:
> http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/738790

> During the '90s, Achen was a key part of the band Junkhouse, which
> scored international success with the hit Out of My Head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-FuQ0h0zPo

Matthew Kruk

Mar 17, 2010, 7:03:36 PM3/17/10
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Love that song. Been ages since I've heard it. RIP Dan.