barney miller castmembers - who's alive (and who's dead)?

Bill Livingston

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

Bernice called the 12th precinct, and Timothy Moore wrote:
>greetings from the land of the living,
> my question regards the current cardiac activity of the the
castmembers
>from the tv show "barney miller". who, if any, has died?
>thanks for your earthly attention.

Jack Soo (Nick Yemana) is no longer with us (he died during the show's run).
The others - Hal Linden, Abe Vigoda, Max Gail, Ron Glass, Steve Landesberg,
James Gregory, Barbara Barrie, and the guy who played Frank Levitt (can't
think of his name) are all still alive AFAIK.

Bill L.

bi...@Traveller.COM http://www.hsv.tis.net/~bill
Best if Used by Date on Label

Timothy Moore

Matthew Kruk

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

Bill Livingston wrote:

> The others - Hal Linden, Abe Vigoda, Max Gail, Ron Glass, Steve Landesberg,
> James Gregory, Barbara Barrie, and the guy who played Frank Levitt (can't
> think of his name) are all still alive AFAIK.

Did not James Gregory and Abe Vigoda pass away within the last two
years? Thought I had read ... hope I'm wrong.

Sandra Doyle

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

Matthew Kruk (mk...@netcom.ca) wrote:

Don't forget Gregory Sierra, he's still with us, still working, and still
looking good. :)

Sandra

Terrymelin

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

I believe that both Abe Vigoda and James Gregory are still alive.

Terry Ellsworth

Matthew Kruk

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

Laurie D. T. Mann wrote:

> Terrymelin wrote:
> > I believe that both Abe Vigoda and James Gregory are still alive.
>
> I think everyone except for Jack Soo is still alive.

That's right, forgot. I believe they had a special episode shortly
afterwards and at the end of the show everyone raised a toast to him.

Alan and Lynn

Aug 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/23/97

In <33ffcf1...@news.mindspring.com> mkst...@mindspring.com (Mike
Stewart) writes:

>On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:22:19 -0700, Matthew Kruk <mk...@netcom.ca>

>wrote:
>
>>Bill Livingston wrote:
>>> The others - Hal Linden, Abe Vigoda, Max Gail, Ron Glass, Steve
Landesberg,
>>> James Gregory, Barbara Barrie, and the guy who played Frank Levitt
(can't
>>> think of his name) are all still alive AFAIK.
>>
>>Did not James Gregory and Abe Vigoda pass away within the last two
>>years? Thought I had read ... hope I'm wrong.
>
>Abe Vigoda at least is still alive.

WAIT A MINUTE!!...Don't you remember...He was the one who set up
Michael, by trying to trap him into meeting with Barzini. He even left
the message to tell Mike that it was "strictly business....I always
liked him." He was then "taken for a ride"!

Bill Livingston

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

As the bass theme song rose, msj...@sprynet.com wrote:
>> Matthew Kruk <mk...@netcom.ca> writes:

>> Bill Livingston wrote:
>> > the guy who played Frank Levitt (can't
>> > think of his name) are all still alive AFAIK.
>
>The actor who played CARL Levitt was Ron Carey. Ironically, the character
>was always looking for (but not getting) respect. Now, fifteen years after
>the show went off the air, not only is the actor's name forgotten, the
>character's name is incorrectly identified! Sorry, I don't know whether the
>actor is dead or alive. I'm just a guy with a TV encyclopedia (which I
>didn't need to recall the actor's name, but used to recall the character's
>first name).

Sorry! 8-] Frank was Inspector Lugar's first name, and I just got a little
mixed up (Although it should be noted in the last ep, Levitt finally got his
promotion to detective).

As far as I can tell, ROn Carey is still alive. According to the IMDb, he
appeared in amovie this year called "The Good in the Bad" or some such. Not
very actie since "Barney Miller" went off the air, though.

Matthew Kruk

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Bill Livingston wrote:
> promotion to detective).

Sergeant.

jk2...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2018, 10:55:13 AM4/8/18
On Friday, August 22, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Bill Livingston wrote:
> Bernice called the 12th precinct, and Timothy Moore wrote:
> Jack Soo (Nick Yemana) is no longer with us (he died during the show's run).
> The others - Hal Linden, Abe Vigoda, Max Gail, Ron Glass, Steve Landesberg,
> James Gregory, Barbara Barrie, and the guy who played Frank Levitt (can't
> think of his name) are all still alive AFAIK.
>
> Bill L.
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> bi...@Traveller.COM http://www.hsv.tis.net/~bill
> Best if Used by Date on Label

Ron Carey played uniformed officer Carl Levitt, who Harris' character always called "L'il Levitt". Ron Carey was a major cast member of Mel Brooks' classic Hitchcock spoof "High Anxiety". As of 4/8/2018, only Max Gail and Hal Linden survive from the show's cast.

That Derek

Apr 8, 2018, 11:28:13 AM4/8/18
>> As of 4/8/2018, only Max Gail and Hal Linden survive from the show's cast

What about Gregory Sierra who portrayed "Chano" in the first couple of seasons. He was a major opening-credits cast member.

I don't remember this character officially being written out. One of his last appearances involved Chano having to shoot and kill a perpetrator, an action for which he experienced a great deal of anguish.

It was probably safe to assume that Chano left the force.

David Carson

Apr 8, 2018, 11:31:29 AM4/8/18
On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 07:55:11 -0700 (PDT), jk2...@gmail.com wrote:

>Ron Carey played uniformed officer Carl Levitt, who Harris' character always called "L'il Levitt".

Making fun of someone for the way he was born and can't do anything about!
Genius!

Kenny McCormack

Apr 8, 2018, 11:53:42 AM4/8/18
In article <padckd$5op$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
I suppose that means we can't be making fun of Donald Trump anymore...

--
The key difference between faith and science is that in science, evidence that
doesn't fit the theory tends to weaken the theory (that is, make it less likely to

Michael OConnor

Apr 8, 2018, 12:27:47 PM4/8/18

> >> As of 4/8/2018, only Max Gail and Hal Linden survive from the show's cast
>
> What about Gregory Sierra who portrayed "Chano" in the first couple of seasons. He was a major opening-credits cast member.

According to IMDB, Gregory Sierra is still alive, 77 years old. He was only on the first two seasons of Barney Miller. However, I was watching "The Towering Inferno" last night, where he played the bartender on the 138th floor of the Glass Tower. He was killed in the climax when the water tanks blew.

That Derek

Apr 8, 2018, 1:13:49 PM4/8/18
>> However, I was watching "The Towering Inferno" last night, where he played the bartender on the 138th floor of the Glass Tower. He was killed in the climax when the water tanks blew.

Wow. I never saw "The Towering Inferno" -- thanks for ruining one of the plot points!

It seems I was too young to see it cinematically and just never got around to seeing it.

However, I do remember the joke going around the schoolyard:
Didja hear about the double-bill of "Earthquake" and "The Towering Inferno"?
It's called "Shake 'n' Bake."

(And I hailped!)

Michael OConnor

Apr 8, 2018, 1:34:22 PM4/8/18
Sorry about not giving spoilers on a movie that was released in 1974, but he was a tertiary character.

I thought that once you got past the script problems of building the world's tallest building in San Francisco, and the engineering issues of putting a million gallons of water on top of a 138-story building, The Towering Inferno was slightly better than Earthquake, but not nearly as good as The Poseidon Adventure.