Who do you still miss? ... :(

1 view

La N

Jan 25, 2008, 12:07:16 AM1/25/08
In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.

It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989. I absolutely still
love her 1980 video: "Gilda: Live in New York".

- nilita

J.D. Baldwin

Jan 25, 2008, 12:14:30 AM1/25/08

Zevon. A few months ago, I was searching pollstar.com for acts my
kids were interested in, and I typed his name in. When my kids asked
"What was THAT about?" I just said, "I'm still in denial."

Also Phil Hartman, just about every time I watch "The Simpsons."

And Madeline Kahn.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

danny burstein

Jan 25, 2008, 12:15:57 AM1/25/08
In <fnbr7m$b4s$1...@reader2.panix.com> INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) writes:

>In the previous article, La N <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
>> behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.
>>
>> It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989. I
>> absolutely still love her 1980 video: "Gilda: Live in New York".

>Zevon. A few months ago, I was searching pollstar.com for acts my
>kids were interested in, and I typed his name in. When my kids asked
>"What was THAT about?" I just said, "I'm still in denial."

>Also Phil Hartman, just about every time I watch "The Simpsons."

>And Madeline Kahn.

Harry Chapin.

dan...@panix.com

KingDaevid

Jan 25, 2008, 12:19:48 AM1/25/08
...Jim Croce. Was tempted to say Phil Ochs, but I didn't become aware
of him until after he died (PLEASURES OF THE HARBOR is *still* my
favourite album)...

kdm
peace 'n oranges...

Matt J. McCullar

Jan 25, 2008, 12:21:39 AM1/25/08
Jim Henson.

Charles Schulz.

La N

Jan 25, 2008, 12:25:13 AM1/25/08

"J.D. Baldwin" <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote in message

> In the previous article, La N <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
>> behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.
>>
>> It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989. I
>> absolutely still love her 1980 video: "Gilda: Live in New York".
>
> Zevon. A few months ago, I was searching pollstar.com for acts my
> kids were interested in, and I typed his name in. When my kids asked
> "What was THAT about?" I just said, "I'm still in denial."

Believe it or not, I didn't know too much about Zevon until I watched a
documentary of his life (and dying) made in 2003 and thought - shit - how
come I hadn't been paying better attention to him? .. :( Anyway, it was a
wonderful film. He demonstrated no self-pity; and even though you knew he
was going to die, you were rooting for him to hang in there.

- nilita

Joe Thomas

Jan 25, 2008, 12:27:55 AM1/25/08
Mel Blanc

Loki

Jan 25, 2008, 12:27:19 AM1/25/08
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 05:07:16 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Steve Goodman.

Loki

"I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi
citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein."
宥eorge W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 25, 2004

Nell

Jan 25, 2008, 12:56:39 AM1/25/08

"Loki" <cubby...@aol.com> wrote in message
> -George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 25, 2004

Steve Allen.

Nell

Bob Feigel

Jan 25, 2008, 1:09:32 AM1/25/08
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 05:07:16 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
magnanimously proffered:

Cary Grant
Audrey Hepburn
Katharine Hepburn
Richard Farina
Louis Nye
Jackie Gleeson
Jack Benny
Dudley Moore
Peter Cook
Spike Millligan
Richard Pryor
Nigel Hawthorn
Ian Richardson
Sammy Davis Jr
Dean Martin

to name a few ...

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Karen

Jan 25, 2008, 1:59:23 AM1/25/08
On Jan 24, 9:21 pm, "Matt J. McCullar" <mccul...@flash.net> wrote:
> Jim Henson.
>
> Charles Schulz.

I miss
Lady Diana
Walt Disney (era)
more recordings of Roy Orbison's voice
John Denver
Staying up late to watch Johnny Carson
JFK
more Alfred Hitchcock and Selznik movies
John Lennon and The Beatles, the Mamas and the Papas, Motown
Steve Irwin
the damaged Christopher Reeve
high profile murder trials of Laci Peterson, JonBenet, Ron Goldman,
Chandra Levy, Nicole Brown Simpson
Ayalih, Selena and Patsy Cline
that goofy Anna Nicole
Michael Jackson as a kid in the Jackson 5
All of the old Saturday night Live people that have died, Gilda,
Belushi, etc.
Elizabeth Montgomery and watching Bewitched
Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart
Lucy, Mister Rogers
Nobody can do those voices like Mel Blanc did those voices
Julia Childs
men who remove their caps in restaurants

Karen

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

R H Draney

Jan 25, 2008, 3:24:54 AM1/25/08
danny burstein filted:

>In <fnbr7m$b4s$1...@reader2.panix.com> INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D.
>Baldwin) writes:
>

>>In the previous article, La N <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
>>> behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.
>>>
>>> It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989. I
>>> absolutely still love her 1980 video: "Gilda: Live in New York".
>
>>Zevon. A few months ago, I was searching pollstar.com for acts my
>>kids were interested in, and I typed his name in. When my kids asked
>>"What was THAT about?" I just said, "I'm still in denial."
>
>>Also Phil Hartman, just about every time I watch "The Simpsons."
>
>>And Madeline Kahn.
>
>Harry Chapin.

The yin to Zevon's yang, Harry Nilsson....

And Isaac Asimov....r

--
What good is being an executive if you never get to execute anyone?

Liz W

Jan 25, 2008, 3:52:26 AM1/25/08

"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Dusty Springfield
Sammy Davis Jr
Lady Ella
Richard Burton
Kenneth Williams
Karen Carpenter
Big Lucy

...and lots of great actors, entertainers, musicians that we don't get to
see anymore because they are, thankfully, still OT but 'retired'.

Roger M

Jan 25, 2008, 6:56:03 AM1/25/08

"Liz W" <Not-...@Not-There.com> wrote in message

> "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
>> behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.
>>
>> It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989. I absolutely
>> still love her 1980 video: "Gilda: Live in New York".
>>
>> - nilita

Brian Jones.
My father.

Thriceshy

Jan 25, 2008, 9:04:23 AM1/25/08

Gilda
Richard Harris
J.T. Walsh
Randy Rhoads
Alec Guinness
River Phoenix
Frank Whittemore (my most beloved mentor and neighbor)
Tammy Linford (my best friend of childhood)
Warren Zevon
And, yeah--Heath Ledger, dammit

Kris Baker

Jan 25, 2008, 10:22:44 AM1/25/08

"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

John Lennon
George Harrison
Ricky Nelson (has it been THAT long????)

Kathy

Jan 25, 2008, 10:54:35 AM1/25/08
I miss John Thaw.

Kathy Wajerski

--

Message has been deleted

Karen

Jan 25, 2008, 12:26:59 PM1/25/08
On Jan 25, 3:56 am, "Roger M" <rmalone...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Brian Jones.
> My father.

Someone the other day asked if I still miss my mother, which I said I
didm, and then she added that she did not miss her mother so much
anymore.

I wonder if that will happen ever to me?

Karen

Laurie Mann

Jan 25, 2008, 1:02:04 PM1/25/08
> On Jan 25, 12:26 pm, Karen <ksoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wonder if that will happen ever to me?

I don't miss people I never knew in the same way I miss people I've
known.

I never met Heath Ledger. While I'm saddened more by his death than
the average celebrity, I'll never really miss him. I can always pop
in a DVD or something. That's as close to him as I've ever been.

But I can't pop in a DVD, say of my friend Monty or Lan or Joe or my
mother-in-law Betty or any of my other relatives. I can look at their
pictures, but I miss talking to them.

Laurie

Karen

Jan 25, 2008, 1:07:47 PM1/25/08
On Jan 25, 10:02 am, Laurie Mann <laurieman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't miss people I never knew in the same way I miss people I've
> known.
>
> I never met Heath Ledger.  While I'm saddened more by his death than
> the average celebrity, I'll never really miss him.  I can always pop
> in a DVD or something.  That's as close to him as I've ever been.
>
> But I can't pop in a DVD, say of my friend Monty or Lan or Joe or my
> mother-in-law Betty or any of my other relatives.  I can look at their
> pictures, but I miss talking to them.

Good points!

I don't know why Heath Ledger's death hits home so hard. It's just an
actor that I don't know at all. I really think it's because of the
character he played in Brokeback. It makes me sad to think of that
story...

Karen

La N

Jan 25, 2008, 1:09:09 PM1/25/08

"Laurie Mann" <laurie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

This is a good point. I think a lot of people, well myself anyway, when we
miss a celeb from another time, it has much to do with our emotional and
experiential memories of those days. I miss The 3 Stooges, for instance,
because I am reminded of the innocence of my childhood when I would sit
right in front of the little B&W TV set and laugh like crazy. Gilda Radner?
Great SNL days and fun times in my life.

- nilita

end_is_near1

Jan 25, 2008, 1:24:52 PM1/25/08
Rosemary Clooney.

Jim Beaver

Jan 25, 2008, 1:32:05 PM1/25/08

Strother Martin.

Gary Cooper.

Jim Beaver

R H Draney

Jan 25, 2008, 2:45:33 PM1/25/08
Jim Beaver filted:

>Strother Martin.
>
>Gary Cooper.

So help me, Tiny Tim.

Stacia

Jan 25, 2008, 3:07:05 PM1/25/08
Richard Jeni
Bruno Kirby, Jr
Howard Morris
Johnny Cash

Ok, now I'm sad.

Stacia

--
Visit my blog at http://www.shebloggedbynight.com

Stacia

Jan 25, 2008, 3:09:32 PM1/25/08
Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> writes:

>Someone the other day asked if I still miss my mother, which I said I
>didm, and then she added that she did not miss her mother so much
>anymore.

>I wonder if that will happen ever to me?

Karen, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I also wonder if I'll ever
stop thinking about calling my mom or talking to her about silly stuff,
and I assume I will, but it's going to take a while.

Stacia

Brad Ferguson

Jan 25, 2008, 3:37:31 PM1/25/08
In article
<1758cb2d-85cb-4b3a...@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:

You gradually get used to that kind of loss. The hard edges are worn
down with time. It never goes completely away, though.

My father's been dead for fifteen years. I'm used to the idea by now,
of course, but I've been thinking more and more about how much he would
have enjoyed this election year. I would have enjoyed fighting with
him about it, and he would have enjoyed it just as much.

Richard Brooks

Jan 25, 2008, 4:57:03 PM1/25/08
Karen said the following on 25/01/2008 17:26:

Is that a telling point about how you treat others while you are alive?

No getting away from that result!

Jonathon J Miller

Jan 25, 2008, 5:05:09 PM1/25/08
Stacia wrote:
> Richard Jeni
> Bruno Kirby, Jr
> Howard Morris
> Johnny Cash
>
> Ok, now I'm sad.
>
> Stacia

John Wayne

FragileWarrior

Jan 25, 2008, 5:13:48 PM1/25/08
Jonathon J Miller <J...@noemail.com> wrote in news:p2tmj.7018$421.5327@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

Phil Hartman

Apairateef

Jan 25, 2008, 5:24:43 PM1/25/08
Dermot Morgan. Lead actor in Father Ted. Damn i miss that humour!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted

Sarns

Apairateef

Jan 25, 2008, 5:30:24 PM1/25/08

"Laurie Mann" <laurie...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Jan 25, 12:26 pm, Karen <ksoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I wonder if that will happen ever to me?
>
> I don't miss people I never knew in the same way I miss people I've
> known.
>
> I never met Heath Ledger. While I'm saddened more by his death than
> the average celebrity, I'll never really miss him. I can always pop
> in a DVD or something. That's as close to him as I've ever been.

I had this discussion over the last couple of weeks due to the death of Sir
Edmund Hillary. News reports wax on about a loved Kiwi and how he'll be
missed etc. I had respect for him but not love. Journos get so seriously
screwed up with the word love. It irritates the hell out of me really

> But I can't pop in a DVD, say of my friend Monty or Lan or Joe or my
> mother-in-law Betty or any of my other relatives. I can look at their
> pictures, but I miss talking to them.

Yes i'm hearing you. The film visual, aural thing is so tremendously
impacting isn't it compared to a photo.

I have some relatives that have died on home videotapes and when you see
them and hear them it's like WHAMMO they are there...whereas a photo is nice
but there is no ... 'realism' with it...like being able to see quirky
mannerisms or hear the deceased laugh or just chatter away.

--
Cheers,

Sarndra, Auckland, New Zealand
www.sarndra.com

A man finds room in the few square inches
of the face for the traits of all his ancestors;
for the expression of all his history, and his
wants.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Apairateef

Jan 25, 2008, 5:36:08 PM1/25/08

"Richard Brooks" <richar...@vickers-armstrongs.com> wrote in message

No i think the 'rawness' of the death goes... acceptance begins to take
over. Took me years to come to terms with a stillbirth i had and now it's
more like soft memories and acceptance and he's thought about often.

Death is inevitable and we should all think about how we will feel when a
certain person dies to make the most of them while they are alive :-) Mum
had a pacemaker 4 years ago after nearly dying of a heart attack the same
day...even though we are very very close and always said as a matter of
course 'I love you', we are even closer and every day is such a bonus.
[Goes for both my parents].

Richard Brooks

Jan 25, 2008, 6:47:47 PM1/25/08
Apairateef said the following on 25/01/2008 22:36:

> "Richard Brooks" <richar...@vickers-armstrongs.com> wrote in message
>> Karen said the following on 25/01/2008 17:26:
>>> Someone the other day asked if I still miss my mother, which I said I
>>> didm, and then she added that she did not miss her mother so much
>>> anymore.
>>>
>>> I wonder if that will happen ever to me?
>>>
>>> Karen
>> Is that a telling point about how you treat others while you are alive?
>>
>> No getting away from that result!
>
> No i think the 'rawness' of the death goes... acceptance begins to take
> over. Took me years to come to terms with a stillbirth i had and now it's
> more like soft memories and acceptance and he's thought about often.
>
> Death is inevitable and we should all think about how we will feel when a
> certain person dies to make the most of them while they are alive :-) Mum
> had a pacemaker 4 years ago after nearly dying of a heart attack the same
> day...even though we are very very close and always said as a matter of
> course 'I love you', we are even closer and every day is such a bonus.
> [Goes for both my parents].

I think you missed my point, unless your stillbirth said "you'll never
amount to anything, you're a big feckin' disappointment so why don't you
top yourself."

I've put the statement from the previous OP below. Remember, the
mother's mother is the grandmother, not the daughter.

>>> Someone the other day asked if I still miss my mother, which I said I
>>> didm, and then she added that she did not miss her mother so much
>>> anymore.

From the older generation, being loving and close was a luxury. To be
scolded (and maybe beaten with the birch) was to be noticed. For many,
a hug from that time was something that kids would envy as they heard of
child Nazi's getting from their parents. You had one toy to play with
on Sunday and were not to speak a word.

Would you miss a grandparent that much, assuming that they were of that
type and not the maverick Grandparents who had lived by "listen to your
children and grandchildren as they are a gift from God and the result of
love" ?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Andre Marek

Jan 25, 2008, 8:17:42 PM1/25/08
On Jan 24, 10:07 pm, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
> behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.
>
> It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989. I absolutely still
> love her 1980 video: "Gilda: Live in New York".
>
> - nilita

Two that usually choke me up are Freddy Mercury and Phil Hartman.

Message has been deleted

Tracey H

Jan 25, 2008, 8:16:01 PM1/25/08
john entwistle
keith moon
t.j walsh
john belushi
chris farley

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bob Feigel

Jan 25, 2008, 8:32:37 PM1/25/08
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:16:01 -0500, petetowns...@webtv.net
(Tracey H) magnanimously proffered:

Of those five I've only meet Keith Moon and spent a memorable half an
hour or so sitting, smoking and talking beside a swimming pool at a
raucous Hollywood party one cold, winter's night back in the
mid-sixties.

I had no idea who he was until after he'd left to rejoin his fellow
bandmates inside. It was one of the deepest, funniest and most
enjoyable conversations I've ever had with a complete stranger and
I've often missed not having the opportunity of enjoying another
tête-à-tête.

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Hyfler/Rosner

Jan 25, 2008, 8:44:48 PM1/25/08

"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

> You gradually get used to that kind of loss. The hard
> edges are worn
> down with time. It never goes completely away, though.
>
> My father's been dead for fifteen years. I'm used to the
> idea by now,
> of course, but I've been thinking more and more about how
> much he would
> have enjoyed this election year. I would have enjoyed
> fighting with
> him about it, and he would have enjoyed it just as much.

On the other hand, I think about how upset my parents would
have been by 9/11 and its aftermath. And my sister and I
just talked about how distraught our mother would have been
dealing with our recent illnesses. It's far better that
she'll never know.

So for me, for obvious reasons....

Francois Truffaut
John Cassavetes

R H Draney

Jan 25, 2008, 8:54:01 PM1/25/08
A filted:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

>> Jim Beaver filted:
>>>

>>>Strother Martin.
>>>
>>>Gary Cooper.
>>
>> So help me, Tiny Tim.
>
> He can't help you now.

Sure he can...as a spiritual role model....r

La N

Jan 25, 2008, 9:00:39 PM1/25/08

>A filted:
>>
>>x-no-archive: yes
>>
>>"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>> Jim Beaver filted:

>>> So help me, Tiny Tim.
>>
>> He can't help you now.
>
> Sure he can...as a spiritual role model....r

And his legacy lives on by way of his daughter Tulip and all her kids:

http://tinytim.org/family/index.html

aaaaaawwwwww ... cute ......

- nil

patterbear

Jan 25, 2008, 10:00:00 PM1/25/08

Deadwood. Todd S.

Kim A.

Jan 25, 2008, 10:07:35 PM1/25/08
WC Fields

Curly

Larry

Moe

Shemp

Hugh Herbert

Vera Vague (look her up in the Columbia shorts)

Leon Errol

Oberon

Jan 25, 2008, 10:17:30 PM1/25/08
On Jan 25, 10:07 am, Karen <ksoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 10:02 am, Laurie Mann <laurieman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't miss people I never knew in the same way I miss people I've
> > known.
>
> > I never met Heath Ledger.  While I'm saddened more by his death than
> > the average celebrity, I'll never really miss him.  I can always pop
> > in a DVD or something.  That's as close to him as I've ever been.
>
> > But I can't pop in a DVD, say of my friend Monty or Lan or Joe or my
> > mother-in-law Betty or any of my other relatives.  I can look at their
> > pictures, but I miss talking to them.
>
> Good points!
>
> I don't know why Heath Ledger's death hits home so hard. It's just an
> actor that I don't know at all. I really think it's because of the
> character he played in Brokeback. It makes me sad to think of that
> story...
>
> Karen

I totally agree. I've always been sad when someone whose work I
really enjoyed and respected a lot dies young, but for some reason
Heath's death is hitting me harder than others. Two things are making
me feel a little bit better about it - Ennis is finally in heaven with
Jack Twist and Heath will always be a guardian angel for his beautiful
daughter and will always be with her, something he couldn't do in
life. The first one might be a little wierd, but so what? :)

Mike Hick-I-Be

Jan 25, 2008, 10:20:36 PM1/25/08
Abbie Hoffman, motherfuckers!!!

Bill Schenley

Jan 25, 2008, 10:28:42 PM1/25/08
> In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
> behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.
>
> It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989. I absolutely
> still love her 1980 video: "Gilda: Live in New York".

I don't really "miss" celebrities unless I knew them. There are some whom I
would have liked to see or hear more of, but I don't miss people I never
met.

I do, however, miss my daughter, my grandmother, many friends ... and Maggie
Funk, who was one of many art teachers I had. She was a Lesbian-American
... and she was the best.

Message has been deleted

marcus

Jan 25, 2008, 10:32:10 PM1/25/08
On Jan 25, 12:07 am, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
> behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.
>
> It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989.  I absolutely still
> love her 1980 video:  "Gilda:  Live in New York".
>
> - nilita

John Lennon
George Harrison
Groucho Marx
Jimi Hendrix
John Candy
Jimmy Durante
Louis Armstrong
Nat King Cole
Jimmy Stewart
Marilyn Monroe
Jackie Gleason
John Belushi
Gilda Radner
Laurel & Hardy
Abbott & Costello
Ed Sullivan
Don Knotts
Janis Joplin
Jim Morrison
All of my grandparents
Several old friends and classmates

La N

Jan 25, 2008, 10:41:45 PM1/25/08

"Bill Schenley" <stra...@neo.rr.com> wrote in message

Your daughter? I don't think anything compares in a painful way to losing a
child. Talking about missing "movie stars" is sappy in comparison.

- nilita

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

R H Draney

Jan 25, 2008, 11:44:37 PM1/25/08
Mike Hick-I-Be filted:

>Abbie Hoffman, motherfuckers!!!

Not so much...but Timothy Leary, yes....

And for (oddly enough) much the same reasons, Ish Kabibble....r

Apairateef

Jan 25, 2008, 11:51:58 PM1/25/08

"A" <aa...@hot.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Apairateef" <arf...@flipflop.com> wrote in message

>> "Laurie Mann" <laurie...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I don't miss people I never knew in the same way I miss people I've
>>> known.
>>>
>>> I never met Heath Ledger. While I'm saddened more by his death than
>>> the average celebrity, I'll never really miss him. I can always pop
>>> in a DVD or something. That's as close to him as I've ever been.
>>
>> I had this discussion over the last couple of weeks due to the death of
>> Sir Edmund Hillary. News reports wax on about a loved Kiwi and how he'll
>> be missed etc. I had respect for him but not love. Journos get so
>> seriously screwed up with the word love. It irritates the hell out of me
>> really
>>
>>> But I can't pop in a DVD, say of my friend Monty or Lan or Joe or my
>>> mother-in-law Betty or any of my other relatives. I can look at their
>>> pictures, but I miss talking to them.
>>
>> Yes i'm hearing you. The film visual, aural thing is so tremendously
>> impacting isn't it compared to a photo.
>>
>> I have some relatives that have died on home videotapes
>
> You have their deaths captured on home videotapes?
> (taking your above line, illiterately--Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!)

*THURRP* i knew someone would do that :D

[snip]

Sarns

Michael O'Connor

Jan 26, 2008, 12:40:49 AM1/26/08
Andy Kaufmann
Carl Sagan
Sammy, Dean and Frank
Howard Cosell
Tiny Tim
Groucho Marx
Roberto Clemente

La N

Jan 26, 2008, 12:46:42 AM1/26/08

"Michael O'Connor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Carl Sagan

Now, this one hits home inasmuch as I'm a survivor the rare bone marrow
cancer that killed him. Ironically, I was always one of Sagan's fans.

- nilita

La N

Jan 26, 2008, 12:53:22 AM1/26/08

"Michael O'Connor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Sammy, Dean and Frank

A couple years ago when I was working out in the gym with some older women,
we were talking about old movies and such. I mentioned how I missed The Rat
Pack, and they were horrified! They reminded me that those men behaved
badly and treated women like pieces of meat. I had to do some digging to
remind myself why I liked The Rat Pack.

Anyway, FWIW, the January 2008 edition of Vanity Fair had a great article on
Angie Dickinson. I don't know what made me think of that except that she
was a "broad" much accepted in the aforementioned "pack".

- nilita, looking forward to the end of winter ......

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Aje RavenStar

Jan 26, 2008, 11:08:01 AM1/26/08

"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Been pondering this thread, pretty much all the names submitted so far, a
few others - Roy Orbison, Doug Sahm, Janis Joplin, Waylon Jennings among
Texas musicians for example.

An easier question for me would have been 'Who don't or won't you ever
miss?'

La N

Jan 26, 2008, 11:13:51 AM1/26/08

"Aje RavenStar" <whine...@comcast.net> wrote in message

I have an idea of my own, but that person is still alive ... :)

- nilita

Michael O'Connor

Jan 26, 2008, 11:19:11 AM1/26/08
On Jan 26, 12:53 am, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Michael O'Connor" <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote in message

You look at the way women are routinely treated in rap videos, and it
makes the Rat Pack look like Choir boys by comparison.

La N

Jan 26, 2008, 11:24:14 AM1/26/08

"Michael O'Connor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message

Indeed. The current crop makes me long for the "bad" good ole days.

- nilita

Kathy

Jan 26, 2008, 12:56:14 PM1/26/08

http://knittingwithmyshoesoff.blogspot.com

> Dermot Morgan. Lead actor in Father Ted. Damn i miss that humour!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted
>
> Sarns

That show was so funny. I didn't realize he was dead though. He was so
young.

Kathy Wajerski

R H Draney

Jan 26, 2008, 1:22:47 PM1/26/08
Aje RavenStar filted:

The answer to that is the same as it's always been: Richard Nixon....r

patterbear

Jan 26, 2008, 2:32:30 PM1/26/08
On Jan 25, 7:48 pm, "A" <aa...@hot.net> wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Bill Schenley" <stray...@neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> I never heard the term 'Lesbian-American' before.
> Was she born of lesbian parents or in Lesbian?
> Is it close to Franistan?

...nope...South Dike-ota...

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Apairateef

Jan 26, 2008, 3:45:41 PM1/26/08

"Kathy" <kaw...@charter.net> wrote in message

He was...45. Heart attack. Hell i can't believe its been just on 10 years!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/61112.stm

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0604607/

Gooo on have a cuppa teaa..just one more ;-)

Sarns

R H Draney

Jan 26, 2008, 4:22:29 PM1/26/08
patterbear filted:

>On Jan 25, 7:48 pm, "A" <aa...@hot.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Bill Schenley" <stray...@neo.rr.com> wrote in message

>> > I do, however, miss my daughter, my grandmother, many friends ... and
>> > Maggie Funk, who was one of many art teachers I had. She was a
>> > Lesbian-American ... and she was the best.
>>
>> I never heard the term 'Lesbian-American' before.
>> Was she born of lesbian parents or in Lesbian?
>> Is it close to Franistan?
>
>...nope...South Dike-ota...

For some reason I'm reminded of a National Lampoon with a letter supposedly
written by "Marlo Thomas, Lebanese Thespian"....r

Ellen S.

Jan 26, 2008, 6:21:36 PM1/26/08

John Lennon
Steve Goodman
Laura Nyro
Gilda Radner
Robert Kennedy

but no matter where I am or what I'm doing, whenever I think of either of my
two dearly departed cats, I can't help but shed a few tears.

_____

Ellen in NYC

Message has been deleted

John M.

Jan 26, 2008, 7:16:08 PM1/26/08
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:08:01 -0600, "Aje RavenStar" <whine...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>Been pondering this thread, pretty much all the names submitted so far, a
>few others - Roy Orbison, Doug Sahm, Janis Joplin, Waylon Jennings among
>Texas musicians for example.

And so far I've been thinking, "Undecided.", but your response sparked one for
me....Stevie Ray Vaughan! Aside (far aside) from John Lennon, and maybe Jimi
Hendrix, he's a musician that I miss.

>An easier question for me would have been 'Who don't or won't you ever
>miss?'

That neighbor (on topic) who complained once about my dog barking at 2 a.m. 20
years ago. (It was only one night, there wasn't really anything I could do
about, and he was really being an asshole. :-)

--

John M.

WFD...@webtv.net

Jan 26, 2008, 7:49:12 PM1/26/08
WAYLON JENNINGS

Mary O'Neill

Jan 27, 2008, 2:41:17 AM1/27/08
La N wrote:
> In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
> behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.
>
> It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989. I absolutely still
> love her 1980 video: "Gilda: Live in New York".
>
> - nilita

Johnny Carson
George Burns
Bob Hope
Dean Martin
Sammy Davis Jr.
Ed Sullivan
Milton Berle
Jack Benny
Red Skelton

Ellen S.

Jan 27, 2008, 3:02:44 AM1/27/08
A couple more:

Peter Jennings. As much as I've settled in with Charles Gibson, the nightly
news just hasn't been the same without him. His death had enough of an
impact on me that I stopped smoking after he died.

And Alison Steele, a dj here in NYC at a time when music radio was still
interesting. That was the last time I heard Tangerine Dream over the air
waves.

_____

Ellen in NYC

La N

Jan 27, 2008, 3:59:45 AM1/27/08

"Ellen S." <kafk...@verizon.net> wrote in message

>A couple more:
>
> Peter Jennings. As much as I've settled in with Charles Gibson, the
> nightly news just hasn't been the same without him. His death had enough
> of an impact on me that I stopped smoking after he died.

Wow! Then some good came of his demise! :)

Peter Jennings was born and raised in Canada. On my trips to the US, people
sometimes would say that I had a "Peter Jennings accent", which is weird
since we canucks don't tend to think we have accents.

- nilita

FragileWarrior

Jan 28, 2008, 7:26:42 AM1/28/08
"A" <aa...@hot.net> wrote in news:13pl2mg...@corp.supernews.com:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> Jim Beaver filted:
>>>

>>>Strother Martin.
>>>
>>>Gary Cooper.
>>
>> So help me, Tiny Tim.
>
> He can't help you now.

But you can still occasionally hear interviews with him on The Howard Stern
Show (usually on Fridays).

FragileWarrior

Jan 28, 2008, 7:25:43 AM1/28/08
Andre Marek <enigm...@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Jan 24, 10:07 pm, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
>> behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.
>>
>> It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989. I absolutely
>> still love her 1980 video: "Gilda: Live in New York".
>>
>> - nilita
>

> Two that usually choke me up are Freddy Mercury and Phil Hartman.

Oddly enough, I was going to mention Freddy Mercury when I posted I missed
Phil Hartman, too. I guess we miss the great voices, eh?

FragileWarrior

Jan 28, 2008, 7:31:56 AM1/28/08
"A" <aa...@hot.net> wrote in news:13pla82...@corp.supernews.com:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "patterbear" <patte...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ..
>> On Jan 25, 10:32 am, "Jim Beaver" <jumble...@prodigy.spam> wrote:
>>> Strother Martin.
>>>
>>> Gary Cooper.
>>>
>>> Jim Beaver
>>
>> Deadwood. Todd S.
>
> That is sweet to mention his late series.
> As with everything, there always comes a time when you
> have to
> move on...

Jim Beaver died???

Alan Hope

Jan 28, 2008, 7:05:52 PM1/28/08
FragileWarrior goes:

On that scale, Freddie isn't dead at all. His voice goes on.

--
AH
http://grapes2dot0.blogspot.com

Message has been deleted

marcus

Jan 28, 2008, 9:35:55 PM1/28/08

The "Night Bird", I remember her well. I grew up on NYC FM radio in
the late 60s/early70s. alison was the first woman dj I ever heard.

Corby Gilmore

Jan 28, 2008, 10:20:00 PM1/28/08
"La N" (nilita20...@yahoo.com) writes:
> In a discussion elsewhere, someone quoted Gilda Radner, and - lo and
> behold - a little tear came to my eye ... :(.
>
> It's hard to believe that she has been gone since 1989. I absolutely still
> love her 1980 video: "Gilda: Live in New York".

My parents

Red Skelton

La N

Jan 30, 2008, 9:44:17 PM1/30/08
Appropriate to the subject line, my colleague and I were discussing this
today:

WARNING: KLEENEX ALERT

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jmHiHIy6pkY

- nilita

Richard Brooks

Jan 31, 2008, 5:52:09 PM1/31/08
La N said the following on 31/01/2008 02:44:

It's not THAT sexy! ;-)

Anyway, this one is more fitting as the now-deceased singer, Luther
Vandross shows up in the video with his daughter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nvW6nuQ2B0s

La N

Jan 31, 2008, 9:04:42 PM1/31/08

> Anyway, this one is more fitting as the now-deceased singer, Luther
> Vandross shows up in the video with his daughter.
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=nvW6nuQ2B0s

I know that song, love it, and have the album. However. I would be very
shocked indeed to hear that Luther Vandross had a daughter ... ;).

Anyway, here's someone(s) I miss. I have this album too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

- nilita