Jerry Slavich; Life Story (Amy Martinez Starke obit)

Hyfler/Rosner

Mar 16, 2006, 9:07:35 PM3/16/06
The Oregonian (Portland, Oregon)
March 9, 2006 Thursday
Byline: Amy Martinez Starke

Lake Oswego resident found the ingredients for a rich life

The food and friendship were standard fare for customers of
Jerry Slavich and his brother

Jerry's Gable restaurant was literally a gable in a house.
In its heyday in the 1960s and '70s, it was famous for big
portions and the long lines of hungry students from Portland
State and starving medical students just down from nearby
Pill Hill.

Jerry Slavich was the man in the cramped kitchen in the back
of the garage-level bistro at 618 S.W. Grant, at the end of
Broadway. There he dished out the likes of Jerry's
Special --half a pound of broiled ground round, a huge green
salad and about half a loaf of garlic bread. At $1.50, it
was the best deal in town.

Jerry was a third-generation restaurateur who learned
everything from his father, whom he idolized. His
grandfather, a Yugoslavian immigrant, was head chef at the
old Portland Hotel. In 1933, Jerry's father, Jerry Sr., and
his mother, Margaret --the restaurant hostess and in some
ways the boss --converted the two-car garage under their
house into Jerry's Tavern.

In 1958, they converted the tavern into the first Jerry's
Gable. Jerry and his brother, Tony, eventually took over its
operation.

Customers planned to be there quite a while to enjoy crab
cioppino with red sauce served in a huge brass shaving dish
so you had to use a bib, sirloin tips cooked with mushrooms
and burgundy wine over noodles, and wine ordered by the
color --white, red, rose.

Frank Sinatra was on the jukebox, and customers were allowed
in the kitchen to watch Jerry cook. He said that they were
his friends and that the restaurant belonged to them. His
children made the garlic bread. Sens. Wayne Morse, Mark
Hatfield and Bob Packwood patronized the place; Portland
Mayor Bud Clark once worked there.

It was like a sitcom --Jerry and Tony were the best of
friends and the worst of friends. They bickered like an old
married couple but they filled each other's weaknesses, and
nobody better get between them.

Jerry or Tony would call regulars if they didn't show up for
Sunday dinner. Many couples became engaged there.

But times changed; eventually, the freeway took away a lot
of the street-only parking. In 1976, the restaurant closed.

Jerry was raised in Portland; he went to the old St.
Lawrence Catholic School at 2220 S.W. Third, then to the
brand-new Lincoln High campus. He was in the Army National
Guard for years.

He was so devoted to his restaurant that when he met his
wife-to-be, he introduced himself by saying, "I'm Jerry of
Jerry's Gable restaurant." Lucille and Jerry married in
1961, had four children and later divorced.

After the downtown location closed, one or both of the
Slaviches operated other restaurants in Salem and Milwaukie.

In the 1980s, Jerry's Gable opened at 7858 S.E. 13th Avenue
in an old Dutch Colonial in Sellwood. Jerry held court on
food and wine, organized wine country tours before they were
popular and joined the Chefs de Cuisine Society.

For years, Jerry was famous for serving food on huge turkey
platters: salad, bread and entree all on the same plate.
Jerry liked to stick to that tradition, even when people's
tastes and customs changed.

When the Sellwood location closed in the mid-1990s, that
ended the Slavich restaurant legacy and started Jerry's
retirement.

He lived quietly after that. Jerry and Tony stayed with
their mother until she died in 2003, then sold the house and
moved together to Lake Oswego.

For the rest of Jerry's life --which ended in his sleep at
age 70 on Feb. 14, 2006 --he kept a weathered briefcase full
of Gable memorabilia, menus and recipes. And former
customers search in vain for a place like Jerry's Gable.

liquid....@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2012, 5:17:55 AM6/13/12
OH MY GOD THIS IS THE LIFE OF MY GREAT UNCLE!!!!! I'm the grand son of Anthony Slavich. I remember going to there house and playing poker with my great uncle Jerry, he taught me how to play at the age of 8.

secreta...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2012, 12:46:22 PM6/13/12
On Thursday, March 16, 2006 7:07:35 PM UTC-7, Hyfler/Rosner wrote:
Thank you for posting this article. I am the Oldest granddaughter of Tony Slavich.Most of this article is true, however, since my birth and time at the restaurant from 1985 until the restaurant closed in the late 90s I don't remember seeing my great Uncle Jerry there hardly ever-- Grandpa Tony Ran the restaurant. This father's day will be the 6th year anniversary of my grandfather's passing.

pfhe...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2013, 1:20:31 PM8/30/13

pfhe...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2013, 1:33:47 PM8/30/13
On Friday, August 30, 2013 10:20:31 AM UTC-7, pfhe...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, March 16, 2006 7:07:35 PM UTC-7, Hyfler/Rosner wrote:
>
> > The Oregonian (Portland, Oregon)
>
> > March 9, 2006 Thursday
>
> > Byline: Amy Martinez Starke
>

> Loved the place! Worked there in the kitchen for two years in the early 70s as I was finishing grad work a few blocks away @ PSU. After the first six months, Jerry often left and walked up the street to his mother's house with the reminder to call him if I needed help. At the time, the front end of the house was operated by Michael Callas and his delightful wife Joy. These were two of the most memorable years of my life. Jerry taught me a lot, and left me well prepared for the move to the Greenwood Inn in Beaverton when it first opened (it too is long gone, I hear.) Tony was a real character. The two of them really did bicker -- but in an obviously when respectful way around Mick, Joy and me. Wonderful place. Fond memories. Miss Jerry a lot. (Wasn't he running a catering business in Salem, while Tony opened in Sellwood?)

cal...@telus.net

Aug 30, 2013, 8:40:35 PM8/30/13
On Thursday, 16 March 2006 19:07:35 UTC-7, Hyfler/Rosner wrote:
> The Oregonian (Portland, Oregon)March 9, 2006 Thursday Byline: Amy Martinez StarkeLake Oswego resident found the ingredients for a rich lifeThe food and friendship were standard fare for customers of Jerry Slavich and his brotherJerry's Gable restaurant was literally a gable in a house. In its heyday in the 1960s and '70s, it was famous for big portions and the long lines of hungry students from Portland State and starving medical students just down from nearby Pill Hill.Jerry Slavich was the man in the cramped kitchen in the back of the garage-level bistro at 618 S.W. Grant, at the end of Broadway. There he dished out the likes of Jerry's Special --half a pound of broiled ground round, a huge green salad and about half a loaf of garlic bread. At $1.50, it was the best deal in town.Jerry was a third-generation restaurateur who learned everything from his father, whom he idolized. His grandfather, a Yugoslavian immigrant, was head chef at the old Portland Hotel. In 1933, Jerry's father, Jerry Sr., and his mother, Margaret --the restaurant hostess and in some ways the boss --converted the two-car garage under their house into Jerry's Tavern.In 1958, they converted the tavern into the first Jerry's Gable. Jerry and his brother, Tony, eventually took over its operation. Customers planned to be there quite a while to enjoy crab cioppino with red sauce served in a huge brass shaving dish so you had to use a bib, sirloin tips cooked with mushrooms and burgundy wine over noodles, and wine ordered by the color --white, red, rose.Frank Sinatra was on the jukebox, and customers were allowed in the kitchen to watch Jerry cook. He said that they were his friends and that the restaurant belonged to them. His children made the garlic bread. Sens. Wayne Morse, Mark Hatfield and Bob Packwood patronized the place; Portland Mayor Bud Clark once worked there.It was like a sitcom --Jerry and Tony were the best of friends and the worst of friends. They bickered like an old married couple but they filled each other's weaknesses, and nobody better get between them.Jerry or Tony would call regulars if they didn't show up for Sunday dinner. Many couples became engaged there.But times changed; eventually, the freeway took away a lot of the street-only parking. In 1976, the restaurant closed.Jerry was raised in Portland; he went to the old St. Lawrence Catholic School at 2220 S.W. Third, then to the brand-new Lincoln High campus. He was in the Army National Guard for years.He was so devoted to his restaurant that when he met his wife-to-be, he introduced himself by saying, "I'm Jerry of Jerry's Gable restaurant." Lucille and Jerry married in 1961, had four children and later divorced.After the downtown location closed, one or both of the Slaviches operated other restaurants in Salem and Milwaukie.In the 1980s, Jerry's Gable opened at 7858 S.E. 13th Avenue in an old Dutch Colonial in Sellwood. Jerry held court on food and wine, organized wine country tours before they were popular and joined the Chefs de Cuisine Society.For years, Jerry was famous for serving food on huge turkey platters: salad, bread and entree all on the same plate. Jerry liked to stick to that tradition, even when people's tastes and customs changed.When the Sellwood location closed in the mid-1990s, that ended the Slavich restaurant legacy and started Jerry's retirement.He lived quietly after that. Jerry and Tony stayed with their mother until she died in 2003, then sold the house and moved together to Lake Oswego.For the rest of Jerry's life --which ended in his sleep at age 70 on Feb. 14, 2006 --he kept a weathered briefcase full of Gable memorabilia, menus and recipes. And former customers search in vain for a place like Jerry's Gable.

cal...@telus.net

Aug 30, 2013, 8:41:38 PM8/30/13
> [...]
> The Oregonian (Portland, Oregon)March 9, 2006 Thursday Byline: Amy Martinez StarkeLake Oswego resident found the ingredients for a rich lifeThe food and friendship were standard fare for customers of Jerry Slavich and his brotherJerry's Gable restaurant was literally a gable in a house. In its heyday in the 1960s and '70s, it was famous for big portions and the long lines of hungry students from Portland State and starving medical students just down from nearby Pill Hill.Jerry Slavich was the man in the cramped kitchen in the back of the garage-level bistro at 618 S.W. Grant, at the end of Broadway. There he dished out the likes of Jerry's Special --half a pound of broiled ground round, a huge green salad and about half a loaf of garlic bread. At $1.50, it was the best deal in town.Jerry was a third-generation restaurateur who learned everything from his father, whom he idolized. His grandfather, a Yugoslavian immigrant, was head chef at the old Portland Hotel. In 1933, Jerry's father, Jerry Sr., and his mother, Margaret --the restaurant hostess and in some ways the boss --converted the two-car garage under their house into Jerry's Tavern.In 1958, they converted the tavern into the first Jerry's Gable. Jerry and his brother, Tony, eventually took over its operation. Customers planned to be there quite a while to enjoy crab cioppino with red sauce served in a huge brass shaving dish so you had to use a bib, sirloin tips cooked with mushrooms and burgundy wine over noodles, and wine ordered by the color --white, red, rose.Frank Sinatra was on the jukebox, and customers were allowed in the kitchen to watch Jerry cook. He said that they were his friends and that the restaurant belonged to them. His children made the garlic bread. Sens. Wayne Morse, Mark Hatfield and Bob Packwood patronized the place; Portland Mayor Bud Clark once worked there.It was like a sitcom --Jerry and Tony were the best of friends and the worst of friends. They bickered like an old married couple but they filled each other's weaknesses, and nobody better get between them.Jerry or Tony would call regulars if they didn't show up for Sunday dinner. Many couples became engaged there.But times changed; eventually, the freeway took away a lot of the street-only parking. In 1976, the restaurant closed.Jerry was raised in Portland; he went to the old St. Lawrence Catholic School at 2220 S.W. Third, then to the brand-new Lincoln High campus. He was in the Army National Guard for years.He was so devoted to his restaurant that when he met his wife-to-be, he introduced himself by saying, "I'm Jerry of Jerry's Gable restaurant." Lucille and Jerry married in 1961, had four children and later divorced.After the downtown location closed, one or both of the Slaviches operated other restaurants in Salem and Milwaukie.In the 1980s, Jerry's Gable opened at 7858 S.E. 13th Avenue in an old Dutch Colonial in Sellwood. Jerry held court on food and wine, organized wine country tours before they were popular and joined the Chefs de Cuisine Society.For years, Jerry was famous for serving food on huge turkey platters: salad, bread and entree all on the same plate. Jerry liked to stick to that tradition, even when people's tastes and customs changed.When the Sellwood location closed in the mid-1990s, that ended the Slavich restaurant legacy and started Jerry's retirement.He lived quietly after that. Jerry and Tony stayed with their mother until she died in 2003, then sold the house and moved together to Lake Oswego.For the rest of Jerry's life --which ended in his sleep at age 70 on Feb. 14, 2006 --he kept a weathered briefcase full of Gable memorabilia, menus and recipes. And former customers search in vain for a place like Jerry's Gable.

cal...@telus.net

Aug 30, 2013, 8:43:25 PM8/30/13
> [...]
> The Oregonian (Portland, Oregon)March 9, 2006 Thursday Byline: Amy Martinez StarkeLake Oswego resident found the ingredients for a rich lifeThe food and friendship were standard fare for customers of Jerry Slavich and his brotherJerry's Gable restaurant was literally a gable in a house. In its heyday in the 1960s and '70s, it was famous for big portions and the long lines of hungry students from Portland State and starving medical students just down from nearby Pill Hill.Jerry Slavich was the man in the cramped kitchen in the back of the garage-level bistro at 618 S.W. Grant, at the end of Broadway. There he dished out the likes of Jerry's Special --half a pound of broiled ground round, a huge green salad and about half a loaf of garlic bread. At $1.50, it was the best deal in town.Jerry was a third-generation restaurateur who learned everything from his father, whom he idolized. His grandfather, a Yugoslavian immigrant, was head chef at the old Portland Hotel. In 1933, Jerry's father, Jerry Sr., and his mother, Margaret --the restaurant hostess and in some ways the boss --converted the two-car garage under their house into Jerry's Tavern.In 1958, they converted the tavern into the first Jerry's Gable. Jerry and his brother, Tony, eventually took over its operation. Customers planned to be there quite a while to enjoy crab cioppino with red sauce served in a huge brass shaving dish so you had to use a bib, sirloin tips cooked with mushrooms and burgundy wine over noodles, and wine ordered by the color --white, red, rose.Frank Sinatra was on the jukebox, and customers were allowed in the kitchen to watch Jerry cook. He said that they were his friends and that the restaurant belonged to them. His children made the garlic bread. Sens. Wayne Morse, Mark Hatfield and Bob Packwood patronized the place; Portland Mayor Bud Clark once worked there.It was like a sitcom --Jerry and Tony were the best of friends and the worst of friends. They bickered like an old married couple but they filled each other's weaknesses, and nobody better get between them.Jerry or Tony would call regulars if they didn't show up for Sunday dinner. Many couples became engaged there.But times changed; eventually, the freeway took away a lot of the street-only parking. In 1976, the restaurant closed.Jerry was raised in Portland; he went to the old St. Lawrence Catholic School at 2220 S.W. Third, then to the brand-new Lincoln High campus. He was in the Army National Guard for years.He was so devoted to his restaurant that when he met his wife-to-be, he introduced himself by saying, "I'm Jerry of Jerry's Gable restaurant." Lucille and Jerry married in 1961, had four children and later divorced.After the downtown location closed, one or both of the Slaviches operated other restaurants in Salem and Milwaukie.In the 1980s, Jerry's Gable opened at 7858 S.E. 13th Avenue in an old Dutch Colonial in Sellwood. Jerry held court on food and wine, organized wine country tours before they were popular and joined the Chefs de Cuisine Society.For years, Jerry was famous for serving food on huge turkey platters: salad, bread and entree all on the same plate. Jerry liked to stick to that tradition, even when people's tastes and customs changed.When the Sellwood location closed in the mid-1990s, that ended the Slavich restaurant legacy and started Jerry's retirement.He lived quietly after that. Jerry and Tony stayed with their mother until she died in 2003, then sold the house and moved together to Lake Oswego.For the rest of Jerry's life --which ended in his sleep at age 70 on Feb. 14, 2006 --he kept a weathered briefcase full of Gable memorabilia, menus and recipes. And former customers search in vain for a place like Jerry's Gable.

cal...@telus.net

Aug 30, 2013, 8:55:03 PM8/30/13
I'm Mick Callas. I lived two doors up from the restaurant, and two doors down from Mamma Slavitch. Oh, the stories I could tell! The crowds, the fistfights, the mafia, the politicians ... guaranteed, it was the most colorful eating establishment in Portland. And the food was GREAT. "Chef's Choice," "The Carpetbagger" - my favourite, was a big steak done on Jerry's old stove, smothered in butter, red wine & mushrooms, and topped off with fresh oysters! And fabulous Yorkshire Pudding! I must have been fired 16 times. It was always at the end of a really busy night, and Jerry or Tony were tired, cranky, and ... well, there was always a helluva lot of wine finished off by the brothers. I knew to report back for work the next day because they never remembered firing me. Absolutely wonderful times. I met all the Oregon politicians of the times, and most of their girlfriends.

Unforgetable memories. Books have been written with less material.