CALENDAR: 'Incident at Oglala' & Arthur Miller

1 view

Monica

Feb 14, 2008, 10:52:08 PM2/14/08
CALENDAR: 'Incident at Oglala' & Arthur Miller -- Fri., Feb. 15 @ 7pm
at
King's Books in Tacoma

[On Fri., Feb. 15, 2008, at 7:00 p.m. at King's Books in Tacoma,
People
for Peace, Justice, and Healing will present a screening of "Incident
at
Oglala," followed by remarks by Arthur Miller.[1] -- "INCIDENT AT
OGLALA" is an 89-minute documentary describing the case of Leonard
Peltier, who has been held in federal prison for more than thirty
years
despite widespread condemnation of his unjust trial, conviction, and
sentencing. -- From 1994 to 2007, ARTHUR MILLER, as a leader of the
Tacoma Peltier Support Group, helped organized an annual march and
rally
for justice for the imprisoned activist. -- More information and
background below. --Mark]

http://www.ufppc. org/content/ view/7152/

1.

WHAT: "Not Forgotten: Leonard Peltier and the Denial of Justice" -- a
showing of "Incident at Oglala" (1991, directed by Michael Apted),
followed by remarks by Arthur Miller
WHO: Sponsored by People for Peace, Justice, and Healing
(http://www.tacomapj h.org)
WHEN: Friday, February 15, 2008 -- 7:00 p.m.
WHERE: King's Books, 218 St. Helens Ave., Tacoma, WA 98403

On Fri., Feb. 15, 2008, at 7:00 p.m. at King's Books in Tacoma, People
for
Peace, Justice, and Healing is pleased to present a screening of
"Incident
at Oglala," followed by remarks by Arthur Miller.

"INCIDENT AT OGLALA" is an 89-minute documentary describing the case
of
Leonard Peltier, who has been held in federal prison for more than
thirty
years despite widespread condemnation of his unjust trial, conviction,
and
sentencing. From 1994 to 2007, ARTHUR MILLER, as a leader of the
Tacoma
Peltier Support Group, helped organized an annual march and rally for
justice for the imprisoned activist.

BACKGROUND

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but all together we
make a
mighty fist." -- Sitting Bull.

Leonard Peltier, now 63, grew up on the Turtle Mountain Indian
Reservation
of North Dakota and became active in the American Indian Movement
(AIM).
In 1977 he was convicted and sentenced to life in prison for the
murder of
two FBI agents who died in a Jun. 26, 1975, shoot-out at Pine Ridge,
an
Oglala Sioux Native American reservation in South Dakota. Peltier is
presently held at the U.S. penitentiary in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.

Pine Ridge was originally part of the 60m-acre Great Sioux Reservation
(http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Great_Sioux_ Reservation) established
by the
Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868. The U.S. government violated this treaty
in
1877, after gold was found there, by opening the Black Hills to
settlement. It violated it again in 1889 by dividing it into seven
separate reservations. The Wounded Knee massacre of 1890 occurred in
the
context of transportation of Sioux to Pine Ridge. In 1980, the Supreme
Court ruled in U.S. v. Sioux Nation of Indians that the Black Hills
had
been illegally taken, and that remuneration be paid; the Lakota Sioux
have
refused the settlement.

These historic injustices form the background of the Leonard Peltier
case.
They also led in 1973 to a long stand-off between American Indian
Movement and the FBI and National Guard at Pine Ridge. For several
years
thereafter, the reservation was the scene of many murders, in
particular
of opponents of the tribal government that had been installed by the
U.S.
Bureau of Indian Affairs. AIM alleged official complicity in much of
that
violence.

"Incident at Oglala" (1991, directed by Michael Apted) portrays the
incident that led to the crime for which Leonard Peltier was
convicted.
It dramatizes the events that led to the death of two FBI agents who
were
looking for a young man named Jimmy Eagle, wanted in connection with a
recent assault and robbery. At this time Leonard Peltier was a
fugitive
from prosecution for a crime of which he was later acquitted. Peltier
fled Pine Ridge after the FBI agents were killed, but in February 1976
was
apprehended in Canada. Although two of Peltier's associates with him
when
the FBI agents were killed were tried and found not guility by reason
of
self-defense by a federal jury in Iowa while Peltier was fighting
extradition to the United States, in 1977 Leonard Peltier himself was
tried, convicted, and sentenced to two consecutive life terms in
prison in
Fargo, North Dakota.

Peltier's trial, conviction, and sentencing have all been widely
criticized, and Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, Archbishop Desmond
Tutu,
Rigoberta Menchú, Amnesty International, the United Nations
Commissioner
on Human Rights, the European Parliament, the Belgian Parliament, the
Italian Parliament, and the Kennedy Memorial Center for Human Rights
have
expressed support for him. More than 500 celebrities, politicians, and
organizations worldwide have signed a letter/petition in support of
Peltier, including Michael Apted, Kris Kristofferson, Peter
Matthiessen,
Madonna, Bono, Sting, Vivienne Westwood, Giorgio Armani, Cher, Kylie
Minogue, Elton John, Oliver Stone, Danielle Mitterrand, Desmond Tutu,
Mikhail Gorbachev, Raquel Welch, Joan Collins, Ozzy Osbourne, Bianca
Jagger, and Kate Moss.

The Peltier case has played a small role in the current presidential
nominating contest in the Democratic Party. Last year billionaire
David
Geffen, a Peltier supporter, ended his financial support for Hillary
Clinton's presidential campaign and became a contributor to Barack
Obama's
campaign instead. In February 2007, Geffen said
(http://abcnews. go.com/US/ story?id= 2899764&page= 1) he had ended
his
support for the Clintons because he became disillusioned by Bill
Clinton's
refusal to pardon Peltier at the end of his second term, while
pardoning
Marc Rich, the wealthy metals trader and felon.

There is no charge and this event is open to the public.

***

Last year, the Tacoma Peltier Support Group issued this statement:
(http://olyblog. net/events/ leonard-peltier- march-and- rally-in-
tacoma-feb- 2007)

"The shadow of totalitarianism is slowly creeping across the land. Our
civil liberties are under attack. Our government has our country
fighting
a war of aggression that is not in the interest of the people of this
land. If you take a close look at all that is taking place you will be
able to see direct parallels to the case of Leonard Peltier and thus
understand why all people who believe in peace, justice and freedom
should
actively support Leonard.

"The first connection can be found in whose interests the government
is
acting in. There are few today that cannot see that the war in Iraq is
about oil and the interests of the multi-national energy corporations.
Behind the events that took place on the Pine Ridge Reservation were
the
interests of the multi-national energy corporations wanting uranium
that
was found there. In both cases armed force was used to seize control
of
those resources and to suppress opposition.

"In the pursuit of suppressing opposition, constitutional and human
rights
were denied. Matter of fact, many things that the FBI did against AIM
and
Leonard Peltier, which at the time were illegal, the government has
made
legal by acts of congress. Though the government says that such denial
of
human rights is justifiable for their war against 'terrorism,' the
fact is
that the government has also targeted those who oppose its policies
who
are clearly not terrorists. The case of Leonard Peltier clearly shows
why
such power should never be given to the FBI and others in power. For
it
can be seen clearly that Leonard's constitutional rights were denied
him.

"The reasons given by the government for the war in Iraq have been
shown
to be fabrications to justify the war. Still the war continues. The
evidence that the government presented at Leonard's trial has all been
disproved as either fabricated evidence or intimidated witnesses, to
the
point that even the courts have admitted it. Still Leonard is in
prison
and no new and fair trial is granted.

"The government has done all that it can to suppress the documents
that it
has on both the war in Iraq and the case of Leonard Peltier. In
Leonard's
case there are over 120,000 pages of documents that are still being
withheld for reasons of 'national security.' Whose national security
is
being protected? In both cases the national security of the people is
being threaten by the withholding of the truth.

"One year the police contacted us about our march and asked us if
there
will be any anti-war people in our march. Our answer was, we don't
believe
that there will be any pro-war people in the march. Even the police
worried about the connection between peace and justice.

"For these reasons we are calling for all people who believe in peace,
justice and freedom to join us for the 14th Annual International Day
in
Solidarity with Leonard Peltier Regional Tacoma March and Rally. In
The
Spirit Of Crazy Horse."

Flint_...@hotmail.com

Feb 15, 2008, 7:47:51 AM2/15/08
On Feb 14, 8:52 pm, Monica <yano...@gmail.com> wrote:
> CALENDAR: 'Incident at Oglala'

whaz Really Sickenin' iz da persistence o yer ILK to perpetrate LIEZ
even in da face o TRUTH...

Mr. X...B da "Star" o "Incident At Oglala"

Bogus IS az BOGUS does...

Go Figure...

The following narrative from Dino Butler, in his own words, is from
an interview with Serle L. Chapman found in We, The People of Earth
and Elders Volume II, and represents an excerpt from several lengthy
interviews with members of AIM to be published in Blood, Sweat and
Tears: Inside the American Indian Movement. We, The People, released
by Bear Print International Limited (Mountain Press Publishing
Company, Missoula, Montana 1-800-234-5308 ISBN 0-9528607-5-9) in March
of 2002. The book, contains interviews with a vast array of Native
individuals across the country, including Joseph Medicine Crow, Joanne
Shenandoah, Wilmer Mesteth, Mary Kim Titla, Keith Secola, Kevin Red
Star, N. Scott Momaday, Vine Deloria Jr., Joy Harjo and others.

Darelle 'Dino' Butler

Peter Matthiessen's book was put on hold for a long time but he
eventually won that law suit and then he came out with the second
edition [of In the Spirit of Crazy Horse]. In that edition the change
in the story was that a Mr X had killed the agents [at Jumping Bull,
Oglala, June 26, 1975] and it's bullshit. When David Hill moved out to
Oregon that summer he started chumming around with Bob [Robideau] and
although I didn't really trust him, I acted civil towards him.

Then Bob told me about this story of Mr X; that David told him 'maybe
we could help get Leonard [Peltier] out with this story about Mr X'.
Bob wanted to know what the rest of us thought about it so I mentioned
it to John [Trudell] and Nilak [Butler] and a couple of other people
and we felt that there should be a meeting about it, so we called for
a meeting to be held at Max Gail's place. Max Gail had a sweat there
at his house, so we had a big sweat and after that we all went down in
to his yard. Bob was there and we talked about this Mr X story, about
all the pros and cons and everything.
I just told everybody that my feeling was that it wasn't the truth and
that we'd always based our struggle on the truth, and if we started
creating lies to fight the liars then we're no better than them and
we'd lose in the end.

The meeting lasted at least an hour, maybe even two hours, and when it
came down to me I just told everybody that my feeling was that it
wasn't the truth and that we'd always based our struggle on the truth,
and if we started creating lies to fight the liars then we're no
better than them and we'd lose in the end. I said, "I can't support
this because it is a lie". So after that we had a vote on it and
everybody agreed that we wouldn't use that story.

We all went on our way and it was supposed to be settled; it was
unanimous, we had agreed that the story wouldn't be used. I went to
the Sun Dance at Green Grass that year and when I came back I went
over to Bob's house in Portland and he told me that he wanted to talk
to me. He said, "How about if you come back later this evening and
we'll send everybody to the movies because I want to talk to you Dino,
in private?" I wasn't suspecting anything so I went back that night
and Bob sat me down and said, "I called up Oliver's writer and I told
him that I had information that nobody else has, but that I wasn't at
liberty to say it over the phone and if he wanted this information
then he should get on a plane and fly up here and I would pick him
up". At that time Oliver Stone was making a movie about Leonard.

So this scriptwriter went for it, he took the bait, and Bob brought
him to his house. They were there for a couple of minutes and then the
phone rang and Bob said that Dave Hill was on the other end of the
line and that he talked to this writer for a couple of hours on the
phone and give him this whole story about claiming to be Mr X and that
he had shot the agents and everything.

The reason Bob now wanted this private meeting with me was because he
wanted me to verify this Mr X story that he and Dave had given to this
writer. Bob said that after the writer got off the phone with Dave, he
sat down with him and he verified his part of the story; he told
Oliver's writer that he and Joe [Stuntz] and me were down by the
agents' cars and that this pick-up came in and that someone had gotten
out of this pick-up and shot the agents and jumped back in and driven
off. Since Joe was already dead he couldn't verify it and so he wanted
me to verify the story because they had placed me down there with
them. "Bob," I said, "that's not true, man.

Any way, after we all agreed that we wouldn't use this story?" And he
said, "Well, it's a way to help Leonard to get out and you're either
going to support this story or you're not and if you don't support it
then you're not helping Leonard and that's the way it's going to be
taken - that you're unwilling to help Leonard." Then I got really
upset at Bob and said, "I'm not going to verify this story. I'm not
going to do that. It's going against everybody else and I'm not
willing to do that." And he said, "Then as far as we're concerned
you're unwilling to help Leonard". So I said, "Okay then, if that's
the way it is", and I left his house.

Eventually I ended up back in California. I stayed up in the mountains
there for about five years and during that time, I think within a
year, I sat down and I wrote a letter to Bob. I told him that because
he and Dave had done that against everybody else's advice that I could
no longer trust him and as far as I was concerned the Bob Robideau
that I knew was dead, and I haven't talked to him since. He just kind
of turned against everybody from then on and that's the way that Mr X
story came up and I believe that it was just concocted to keep Leonard
in jail longer. At that time Leonard's appeal was going before the
Eighth Circuit Court and that's when the government changed their
story, saying that they knew that they couldn't prove that Leonard was
the trigger-man but that he had information about who did kill the
agents so that justifies keeping him in jail - and that's exactly what
happened. At that time Leonard's lawyers had gotten the FOIA [Freedom
of Information Act] paper about the FBI ballistics tests to link
Leonard's gun to killing the agents and how they couldn't prove
anything about that gun, which cast a lot of doubt upon their whole
case. The way I see it today, that is why the Mr X story was brought
up; they had to change their story and that's how they did it.

Dave Hill is the one that brought that Mr X story up and so maybe he's
got a hidden agenda somewhere. I think Robideau sold that story twice
for $10,000 each time; first to Oliver's writer and then to [Robert]
Redford's scriptwriter. In that letter I wrote to Bob I told him that
I would not interfere with the Oliver Stone movie by saying that it
wasn't true but I said, "I'm not going to promise that about the other
movie and if anybody asks me than I'll tell the truth to them about
that". But he went ahead and sold the Mr X story to Redford's
scriptwriter anyway. John [Trudell] was in touch with Redford's
scriptwriter and he called me up and asked me to come down there and
we went and talked to him; we sat him down and told him what that
story was all about so they never did use it.

When I made a public statement denying that there ever was a Mr X,
Leonard called me up and asked me why I did that and I told him, "Well
Leonard, it's a lie, that's why". I said, "Imagine Leonard if I'm the
President of the United States and there's this piece of paper on my
desk to release this Indian man who was convicted of killing two FBI
agents but now he's gotten so much support that people want me to
release him; but this Indian man is sitting in prison and he's saying,
'Yeah I know who killed those agents but I'm not saying because it's
the warrior way and I don't snitch on my own people'." And I said,
"Me, as the President, I'm not going to release you. Nobody is going
to release you. You came out after that Mr X story and that's what you
said, 'Yeah, I know who Mr X is but I'm not going to snitch on my
brother, that's not our way'. So who do you expect to release you
Leonard? Don't you see why this story was created?" But he fed right
into it and no matter what he says now, he said that and that's always
going to come back on him.

Peter Matthiessen also called me and he was pissed-off and asked me,
"Why did you say that? Don't you know that just attacks my
credibility?" And I said, "Peter, you put my life in jeopardy and you
put the lives of my family in jeopardy by putting that bullshit out in
your books. Why didn't you call me and ask me if that was true?
Everything you said in that first book, you would call me; you would
call Nilak; you would call John; you would call all of us that were
involved and ask us 'Is this true?' and we would tell you but you
didn't do this in the second edition. You went out and you put this Mr
X in there when it was all lies." And he said, "Well, I didn't believe
Bob would lie to me". I told him that I thought he could repair his
reputation if he tried to prove that this was all part of a counter-
intelligence program to discredit everything, and that's how he'd get
his reputation back, not by calling me and accusing me. I said, "If
you really care about your reputation and if you really care about
Leonard and our people then that's what you will do."

http://indiancountrynews.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=70

Flint_...@hotmail.com

Feb 15, 2008, 8:28:52 AM2/15/08

Monica

Feb 15, 2008, 9:39:49 AM2/15/08
On Feb 15, 5:28 am, Flint_Carr...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 15, 5:47 am, Flint_Carr...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Feb 14, 8:52 pm, Monica <yano...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > CALENDAR: 'Incident at Oglala'
>
> C N hear da LIEZ fer yerselvez...
>
> Incident at Oglala - Part Onehttp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=387726205259162082&q=Incident...
>
> Incident at Oglala - Part Twohttp://video.google.com/videoplay?ocid=7478474397606955920&q=Incident...

Is that like your lap dance (lies) for trimbach? Dance tiny dancer
Dance!