Most underrated rock bands of 60s and 70s (with possible reasons) ...

Raja, The Great

Nov 28, 2010, 11:56:34 AM11/28/10
This is MY list...
These artists do not have many albums which are highly rated by
critics in general... the fans of the sub-genre they belong in also do
not rate them that high (they are usually in second tier).

1. Moody Blues - Not considered as a bad band, but not considered a
great band either. True, they never wrote an album which was
consistent from end to end. But all their albums from Days Of Future
Passed to Seventh Sojourn have at least 2-3 great memorable songs.
They were the king of melodies. I like their albums Days of Future
Passed, In Search Of The Lost Chord, On The Threshold Of A Dream, To
Our Children's Children's Children very much. I would not call any of
them as masterpieces though.

Possible Reason - They never fit into any rock sub genre. They could
considered as a third tier psychedelic band and a second tier prog
band. But honestly they were neither. They were a weird mix of both
missed with symphonic rock tendencies. And they were too lush to be
considered even rock! They have their own cult, but that cult is not a
sub genre cult. VDGG have their own cult, but it part of progressive
rock cult and they are considered on of premier prog bands. But Moody
Blues somehow slipped under the cracks.

2. Pink Floyd (before The Dark Side Of The Moon) - Okay, Piper has
gone on to be considered as one of the greatest pyschedelic records of
all time and Meddle has some respect. But what about the albums after
that and before Meddle? No one seems to talk about A Saucerful Of
Secrets, More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and Obscured by Clouds.
Pink Floyd were at their most experimental in those albums and
frequently in avant-garde mode.

Possible Reason - Pink Floyd at their most experimental were really
experimental and quite different to what they later become of. The
band themselves does not promote the ASOS to AHM and OBC period at
all. Most Pink Floyd "fans" do not even seem to know the period before
The Dark Side very well. Also the period starting Dark Side has been
commercially very successful and the ones before that has been a
commercial flop (even Piper) relatively. I am kind of shocked Gilmour
and Waters do not seem to promote their early era at all. Waters does
all this Dark Side and The Wall tour (and he does play songs from
WYWH, Animals and The Final Cut) but completely ignores the early era.
Gilmour does 1 or 2 Syd songs once in a while, but has never given
full fledged attention to the earlier era.

3. The Troggs - These guys have several great songs. And they are
considered as garage rock icons from the UK. But their albums continue
to be underrated and overall as artists they do not feature on any
lists.

Possible Reason - Their style of raw rock n roll songs was in sharp
contrast to the psychedelic leanings of the British and American bands
starting 1966. Their debut album was released in 1966. It was too rock
n roll for that year, perhaps?

4. Fleetwood Mac (early) - Peter Green era was quite awesome. They
made several great songs, though they did not really have a consistent
album

Reason - The Nicks era was quite polished and hardly had any blues
influences. The Peter Green era was pure blues rock. Not a lot of
people even know that Black Magic Woman is not a Santana song, but a
Fleetwood Mac song

5. Canned Heat - Great authentic blues rock (unlike the blasphemous
likes of Led Zeppelin). So many great songs, but just like early
Fleetwood Mac, never wrote a consistent album.

Possible Reason - Too authentic perhaps? They never seem to get out of
blues rock.

6. Free - Great blues based hard rock. Many great songs. And their
albums are critically acclaimed but they are still not considered
among the greatest rock bands.

Possible Reason - Commercially not that successful. And probably not
as edgy as Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath. And also didn't last long
enough to make a huge impact.

7. The Zombies - Wrote the best melodies of the 60s really (even
better than The Beatles).

Possible Reason - They were still doing the harmonic melodies in the
late 60s. The likes of Beatles had moved on to more experimental
territory. Their style became outdated during the late 60s.

8. Thin Lizzy - Some people consider them to the best hard rock band
of the late 70s... but it is only some of them. Their live album Live
And Dangerous is considered on of the best live albums of all time.
But they don't seem to get the attention other hard rock and heavy
metal bands of the 70s get.

Possible Reason - Irish? Neither British nor American. And they never
commercially broke through in the US.

9. UFO - These days only known for their live album - Strangers in The
Night. Another hard rock that has slipped below the radar.

Possible Reason - Lack of commercial success as compared to the likes
of Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest and AC/DC who were ruling the hard rock
world in the mid to late 70s.

10. Hawkwind - Decent amount of respect in the prog rock community,
but still not considered premier prog or premier rock band.
Like UFO and Thin Lizzy, did make one of the greatest live albums of
all time in Space Ritual.

Possible Reason - Never broke through in the US. At times too
electronic.

Honorable Mentions
----------------------------
Status Quo (no success in the US)
Wishbone Ash (no success)
Humble Pie (no success)
Uriah Heep (respect among prog metal fans, but not as much as say
Rush)
Whitesnake (no one knows they were a blues based hard rock band in the
70s)
Slade (too glam to be taken seriously?)
Rainbow (too nerdy for a hard rock band?)

who?

Nov 28, 2010, 1:11:42 PM11/28/10

You are still comparing bands to each other which
gives posters the idea that you are a troll.

Raja, The Great

Nov 28, 2010, 1:39:02 PM11/28/10

? Where in this post am I comparing bands?

JohnB

Nov 29, 2010, 4:44:20 AM11/29/10

None of these is really under-rated. They all had success to an extent
and some of them were very highly thought of. There are no surprises
on your list - again.

If you want under-rated, how about these:

Stackridge
Hudson Ford
Comus
Forest
Mellow Candle
String Driven Thing

Hister

Nov 29, 2010, 7:12:55 AM11/29/10

Roger Waters has performed Set the controls for the heart of the
S(u)on from ASOS many times over the last few decades. The Doubledildo
Bell tour included performances of Astronomy Dominatrix. I could name
more songs performed in the 80's 90's and 00's in tribute of their
experimental years but I choose to not do

Raja, The Great

Nov 29, 2010, 10:01:58 AM11/29/10

They are not on the regular setlist. Waters never performs Syd's
songs.

billy

Nov 29, 2010, 12:45:45 PM11/29/10

You are putting Pink Floyd in a list of underrated bands and you
wonder why you are considered a troll? Please go away again.

Raja, The Great

Nov 29, 2010, 12:48:05 PM11/29/10
> wonder why you are considered a troll? Please go away again.- Hide quoted text -

Which part of "Pink Floyd before Dark Side Of The Moon", you didnt
get? You realize DSOTM was Floyd's 8th album?

Mike Smith

Nov 29, 2010, 2:11:22 PM11/29/10
On 11/28/2010 11:56 AM, Raja, The Great wrote:
> This is MY list...
> These artists do not have many albums which are highly rated by
> critics in general... the fans of the sub-genre they belong in also do
> not rate them that high (they are usually in second tier).
>
> 1. Moody Blues - Not considered as a bad band, but not considered a
> great band either. True, they never wrote an album which was
> consistent from end to end. But all their albums from Days Of Future
> Passed to Seventh Sojourn have at least 2-3 great memorable songs.
> They were the king of melodies. I like their albums Days of Future
> Passed, In Search Of The Lost Chord, On The Threshold Of A Dream, To
> Our Children's Children's Children very much.
>
> ***I would not call any of them as masterpieces though.***

Well, then, how are they "underrated", you nob? You understand what the
term means, dontcha?

--
Mike Smith

Raja, The Great

Nov 29, 2010, 3:00:55 PM11/29/10

I have a very high definition of masterpieces. Most highly rated bands
rated above Moody Blues like Eagles, Aerosmith, Police, Van Halen, U2
never made any masterpiece of any kind. But Moody Blues are rated way
too low for all the great songs they made.

Hister

Nov 30, 2010, 6:11:32 AM11/30/10
> songs.- Hide quoted text -

No Raja in this case you are wrong, Roger has performed Syd's songs,
the most documented event is when he was confronted with Michael Stipe
in the audience and performed Dark Globe.

Raja, The Great

Nov 30, 2010, 9:44:24 AM11/30/10

okay i stand corrected.

Hister

Nov 30, 2010, 6:40:17 PM11/30/10
> okay i stand corrected.- Hide quoted text -

actually I ballzed that reply up, Stipe performed Dark Globe with
Roger in the audience, pardon me.

stuth...@comcast.net

Dec 7, 2010, 5:07:35 PM12/7/10
> too low for all the great songs they made.- Hide quoted text -

I rarely have any patience for or interest in The Eagles, but any
album that sold as many copies as HOTEL CALIFORNIA has to be
considered some kind of masterpiece.

Same for BOSTON and BAT OUT OF HELL.

Raja, The Great

Dec 7, 2010, 5:21:41 PM12/7/10
On Dec 7, 4:07 pm, "stuthalb...@comcast.net" <stuthalb...@comcast.net>
wrote:

On the other hand it would have 5 all time classics and 5 junk songs.
So it is not a masterpiece then? Its possible many people bought it
for those 5 songs. I havent heard Hotel Califonia album yet. But I
have heard Boston's self titled debut. It has 4 great songs (More
Than A Feeling, Peace Of Mind, Foreplay/Long Time and Smokin') and 4
garbage songs (Rock and Roll, Hitch A Ride, Something About You and
Let Me Take You Home Tonight). So it is 50% great, 50% junk. How can
you consider that a masterpiece?

> Same for BOSTON and BAT OUT OF HELL.

I was never impressed by Bat Out of Hell, but I do like the first two
songs (Bat Out Of Hell and You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth).
I do not like Paradise by the Dashboard Light even though it was a
hit.

P-Dub

Dec 9, 2010, 3:49:17 PM12/9/10

Best band of all time was the Partridge Family. They even had a TV show
for Gawd's sake.

P-Dub: Runner-up: Bay City Rollers and the Knack

Bed Warmer

Dec 12, 2010, 11:41:55 PM12/12/10
"stuth...@comcast.net" <stuth...@comcast.net> wrote:
>I rarely have any patience for or interest in The Eagles, but any
>album that sold as many copies as HOTEL CALIFORNIA has to be
>considered some kind of masterpiece.

>Same for BOSTON and BAT OUT OF HELL.

And then you disprove your own point. I bought Bat Out of Hell
because EVERYBODY told me it was great. A bit of it was clever
(Paradise . . . ) some of it listenable, "Bat Out of Hell" but most of
it was largely forgettable. I just don't 'get' Meatloaf.

Bedwarmer
--
"Welcome to reality. Enjoy your visit.
Slow thinkers keep right." - Peter Principle

Bed Warmer

Dec 13, 2010, 12:22:39 AM12/13/10
P-Dub <pwol...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Best band of all time was the Partridge Family. They even had a TV show
>for Gawd's sake.

Monkees. Their album "Headquarters" was a surprising masterpiece of
mid sixties/early pysych blended with really quite good songwriting.
They were fortunate to get good engineering as well.

Klaatu

Dec 15, 2010, 2:01:40 AM12/15/10
"Bed Warmer" <bedw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

He was memorable in the RHPS as Eddie. That's at least something....

Bed Warmer

Dec 19, 2010, 6:01:27 PM12/19/10
"Klaatu" <nos...@today.com> wrote:
>"Bed Warmer" <bedw...@gmail.com> wrote
>> "stuth...@comcast.net" <stuth...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>I rarely have any patience for or interest in The Eagles, but any
>>>album that sold as many copies as HOTEL CALIFORNIA has to be
>>>considered some kind of masterpiece.

I didn't think to much of the Eagles until Hotel California either.

>>>Same for BOSTON and BAT OUT OF HELL.

>> And then you disprove your own point. I bought Bat Out of Hell
>> because EVERYBODY told me it was great. A bit of it was clever
>> (Paradise . . . ) some of it listenable, "Bat Out of Hell" but most of
>> it was largely forgettable. I just don't 'get' Meatloaf.

>He was memorable in the RHPS as Eddie. That's at least something....

As for Boston, if the whole thing hadn't descended into a squabble
about royalties after the first album, we might have seen a longer,
brighter career. That said, their first two albums and bits of the
third were quite good, but nothing matched the magic of that first
record in it's time.

Bedwarmer
--
"All the sinners are just Saints without sparks." -- "All the sinners are just Saints without sparks." -- Jamiroquai

Hot Buttered Sole

Mar 8, 2011, 11:25:22 PM3/8/11
<2a790bec-1dad-478d...@e20g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
zepf...@gmail.com a écrit dans l'article:
> This is MY list...
> These artists do not have many albums which are highly rated by
> critics in general... the fans of the sub-genre they belong in also do
> not rate them that high (they are usually in second tier).
>

> Status Quo (no success in the US)
> Wishbone Ash (no success)
> Humble Pie (no success)
> Uriah Heep (respect among prog metal fans, but not as much as say
> Rush)
> Whitesnake (no one knows they were a blues based hard rock band in the
> 70s)
> Slade (too glam to be taken seriously?)
> Rainbow (too nerdy for a hard rock band?)

With all due respects, sir, you are an idiot.

King Size Johnson

Mar 10, 2011, 1:55:42 AM3/10/11
On Mar 8, 11:25 pm, Hot Buttered Sole <a...@udu.nz> wrote:
> With all due respects, sir, you are an idiot.

Raja isn't due any respect.