All Along The Watchtower????

Mr. Legend

Apr 27, 2001, 6:13:23 PM4/27/01
Does anyonelse love this song?

It's got an amazing stomp to it when U2 do the song. Bob Dylan and Dave
Matthews Band play it too soft. Hendrix's version is awesome, but it's
missing U2's version, and it seems like U2's version is missing a little of
Hendrix's version.

I love the lyrics, Bono sings it oh so great! And the whole band did a
really good job with it. But they don't play it anymore, and it's because I
think the Edge and Larry are bored with it. I mean..... The Edge has said
that he thinks he didn't do a good job with it, and I think he did good with
it, he just needs to add the hendrix type solos. Because it gets boring
playing the same four chords over and over again.
And Larry's bored by it probably cause it's basically just the same drum
pattern repeated over and over. And I doubt Bono will play it on the
Elevation tour because of it's supposed theme. But I want to hear them do
this song again. In my opinion this is one of the best songs they've ever
played live.
I have never heard any other U2 fan mention it whatsoever, and I would
just like to hear some feedback as to why you all do or don't like it.

I want to hear this song live again!!!
U2 probably doesn't think any fan cares for it that much, and thinks we all
just forgot about it, but damnit......this is one of the best songs I've
ever heard.

thefreak

Apr 27, 2001, 6:43:55 PM4/27/01
>From: "Mr. Legend"

>Hendrix's version is awesome, but it's
>missing U2's version,

You have got to be kidding me! Man stop being so much of an asskisser.
Hendrixs' version needsa little more U2...now I have heard everything! I mean I
practiclly give blo-jobs to the band with my ravings but lets not be
sacreligious ok? Youngsters.

"You must be trippin' on some of that Voodoo I been throwin' down"-Dulli/Afghan
Whigs

ICQ#18984002

ColdenGrey

Apr 27, 2001, 7:05:59 PM4/27/01
watchtower is one of my all time favourite songs! the original version is
too weak by far! jimi did a SWEET version, the U2 is good, but the BEST
watchtower version i have heard is the dmb versions. i have about 10 of them
and each has a small twist, and makes it stand out.

Chris

Mr. Legend <aro...@rehearsal.com> wrote in message

RevZaius

Apr 27, 2001, 7:06:37 PM4/27/01
>It's got an amazing stomp to it when U2 do the song. Bob Dylan and Dave
>Matthews Band play it too soft. Hendrix's version is awesome, but it's
>missing U2's version, and it seems like U2's version is missing a little of
>Hendrix's version.

I'm not a big fan of U2's version. For the song to really shine, it needs to
have something interesting going on rhythmically. U2's version is kind of
clunky. And I'm not real hip to Bono's lyrical improvisations on the song
either. The best versions I've heard are by Hendrix and the Grateful Dead.
Hendrix's version is one of the landmarks in rock history. I don't see anyone
supplanting Jimi's version as the definitive version of the song...

thefreak

Apr 27, 2001, 7:17:55 PM4/27/01
>From: "ColdenGrey"

> but the BEST
>watchtower version i have heard is the dmb versions.

You are truly damned. You have no soul whatsoever. You should be stoned and
once you got out of your DMB circle and made that IDIOTIC statement , you
probably would be stoned. God, the hits just keep on comin.

thefreak

Apr 27, 2001, 7:18:42 PM4/27/01
>From: revz...@aol.com

>Hendrix's version is one of the landmarks in rock history. I don't see
>anyone
>supplanting Jimi's version as the definitive version of the song...

THANK YOU!!! Finally, someone with some sense.

Mr. Legend

Apr 27, 2001, 8:25:21 PM4/27/01

ColdenGrey <thear...@iname.com> wrote in message

> watchtower is one of my all time favourite songs! the original version is
> too weak by far! jimi did a SWEET version, the U2 is good, but the BEST
> watchtower version i have heard is the dmb versions. i have about 10 of
them
> and each has a small twist, and makes it stand out.

Did you say 10 different DMB versions????? I only heard the one they did at
woodstock, so I'll have to give the others a listen I suppose.

Mr. Legend

Apr 27, 2001, 8:32:31 PM4/27/01

> I'm not a big fan of U2's version. For the song to really shine, it needs
> have something interesting going on rhythmically. U2's version is kind of
> clunky. And I'm not real hip to Bono's lyrical improvisations on the song
> either. The best versions I've heard are by Hendrix and the Grateful
Dead.
> Hendrix's version is one of the landmarks in rock history. I don't see
anyone
> supplanting Jimi's version as the definitive version of the song...

I think I know what you mean by clunky, and I really love Hendrix's version
alot, didn't know the Grateful Dead did the song.....
But I would love for nothing more than to hear U2 play this song again live.
And I would like for The Edge to break out Hendrix style and kick out some
awesome guitar riffs.
As for the lyrics, I don't really worry about that, I just really like to
hear Bono get some strong emotions in his voice as he did when they did this
song. It's something rare these days from him. Bono himself said once, that
he sings like a girl. And though we all know that's not true. I think I know
what he means. I like his Rattle And Hum voice best of all. He had a very
strong voice in those days. I miss that drive he used to have. There's no
panic, no anger, no strength, no grit, no roughness, no rage in his voice
anymore. I really miss that side of the band. I want to hear U2 ROCK, not
jump around the rock genre, and be gentle with it. Rough it up a bit. Oh
well, the music they make these days is good stuff anyway........

IS THERE ANYONE else out here who loves this song?????????

Brian (aka Zod)

Apr 27, 2001, 8:51:34 PM4/27/01
I saw Neil Young back in October in Vancouver and he did a pretty good live
version of it as well :)

- Brian

thefreak

Apr 27, 2001, 9:12:31 PM4/27/01
>From: "Brian (aka Zod)"

>I saw Neil Young back in October in Vancouver and he did a pretty good live
>version of it as well :)

Well Neil is deserving of the praise..DMB however is not..that is a friggin
travesty.

TL Wayne

Apr 27, 2001, 11:47:26 PM4/27/01
Jimi Hendrix for all of the Guitar God hype was songmaster deluxe...... I
could listen to Electric Ladyland for eternity.

Hendirx could take a simple musical concept and turn it into a magic moment
as in Watchtower (a 3 chord song).

It is sad that his music was stilled just as he was shedding the Rock Star
schtick and getting back to basics as U2 has, in some ways done, on this
tour.

"thefreak" <rdh...@aol.comvelvtswt> wrote in message

Mr. Legend

Apr 28, 2001, 8:18:44 AM4/28/01
>same four chords over and over again.

Woops, I meant three chords. A G F G
Or you could play it Am G F G

Joe

Apr 28, 2001, 12:24:47 PM4/28/01
Nah, they play Watchtower regularly... for instance they did it with Neil
Young 4-21-01, and they've played slightly varied versions with Bela Fleck
and the Flecktones, and others...

"Mr. Legend" <aro...@rehearsal.com> wrote in message

Joe

Apr 28, 2001, 12:25:56 PM4/28/01
It's definitely Am G F G.... not A G F G

"Mr. Legend" <aro...@rehearsal.com> wrote in message

thefreak

Apr 28, 2001, 12:53:21 PM4/28/01
>From: "TL Wayne"

>Hendirx could take a simple musical concept and turn it into a magic moment
>as in Watchtower (a 3 chord song).

Yup..and the first 20 secs of Little Wing is pure beauty, as wel as the whole
song.

>t is sad that his music was stilled just as he was shedding the Rock Star
>schtick and getting back to basics as U2 has, in some ways done, on this
>tour.

Yup--he was gettin tired of playing the freak for everyone. He was gettin ready
to get down to business.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 28, 2001, 1:02:16 PM4/28/01
thefreak wrote:

> Yup..and the first 20 secs of Little Wing is pure beauty, as wel as the whole
> song.

I have to agree with this! "Little Wing" is one of the most sublimely perfect
pieces of music ever created. I wish it would go on all afternoon...

Mr. Legend

Apr 28, 2001, 1:36:33 PM4/28/01

Joe <j...@ibm.net> wrote in message

> Nah, they play Watchtower regularly... for instance they did it with Neil
> Young 4-21-01, and they've played slightly varied versions with Bela Fleck
> and the Flecktones, and others...

Okay cool. Thanks!

Mr. Legend

Apr 28, 2001, 1:37:57 PM4/28/01

> It's definitely Am G F G.... not A G F G

what about barre chords? Can you play minor barre chords? How?

CM

Apr 28, 2001, 4:25:53 PM4/28/01
I agree. DMBs way is freaking great.

Colin

Michael

Apr 28, 2001, 11:42:24 PM4/28/01
>> but the BEST
>>watchtower version i have heard is the dmb versions.

Did I just miss something here? Jimi's version is sweet but pales in
comaparison to Dave Matthews. WTF?! What is it I dont get about Dave (it
hurts me just to say it). Every single person I've met in school seems to
think Dave is God all hail Dave. Yeah hes talented but only to a certain
point. Am I the only one that thinks that everyone of their songs is same? The
raging epidemic known as DMB must be stopped, before its too late. OK hes not
that bad bbut he does piss me off a lot with that whiny voice. Sorry if I
insulted any of his blind followers.
The Little Brother of Alt.Music.U2
Michael

"I like to be respected. But when it goes further than that,when people wanna
find out the meaning of life just because you can sing in tune,because you can
write songs-well then they got the wrong guy"-Bono

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 8:09:25 AM4/29/01

> Did I just miss something here? Jimi's version is sweet but pales in
> comaparison to Dave Matthews. WTF?! What is it I dont get about Dave (it
> hurts me just to say it). Every single person I've met in school seems to
> think Dave is God all hail Dave. Yeah hes talented but only to a certain
> point. Am I the only one that thinks that everyone of their songs is
same? The
> raging epidemic known as DMB must be stopped, before its too late. OK hes
not
> that bad bbut he does piss me off a lot with that whiny voice. Sorry if
> insulted any of his blind followers.

Hey I think Jimi's version rock's the house down, along with U2's
version, but DMB is my second favorite band. Oh about your ignorant comment
that their fans are blind followers..... IT DOESN'T TAKE EYES TO HEAR GOOD
MUSIC!
The Dave Matthews Band are liked so well because they play music people
like, if you can't see that, then too bad. There songs may sound the same to
you, but you have to realize that there are 5 guys all playing their same
instruments they play all the time, in off beat Paul Simon like style. They
are so different from the music of today, that they may sound the same like
they're playing the same songs. Can you understand that? If they're Always
playing something different from everyonelse, then it makes it seem like all
the songs sound the same. They've got alot of great songs. After maybe one
or two more albums I'd compare them without a doubt to being as good as
R.E.M. and being better than Pearl Jam.

Listen to their music, not on the radio. buy two of their CD's. I bought
Before These Crowded Streets in I think it was 1999, listened to it only
once or twice, and I couldn't stand it! So I threw it in the closet and left
it their for months, I heard a cool song on the radio turned out to be DMB,
then I heard two more cool songs, so I decided to buy a different DMB cd,
and I loved it ALOT. SO then I took out the Before These Crowded Streets cd
out of the closet, and listened to it, and It blew me away, I loved it all
of a sudden. There were a bunch of songs that were now some of my favorites:
Rapunzel, Dreaming Tree, Crush, Spoon, Pig. All great songs! You need to
open up to the music Mike, and it'll open up to you. You'll find alot of
amazing things in music if you hang on and keep your heart and mind open to
new and different things. Who cares if thousands of other people like them,
and you can't see why. Just go buy their music and give it a listen, give it
more of a chance. Their drummer is one of the best drummers of all time. I
believe he was ranked 3rd in some all time poll, and that just is to back up
my own opinion. They've got a lot of talent. They're getting attention
because their the best of what they do, I'm sure theres hundreds of other
bands doing the same thing as DMB, but they're not getting the attention
into the pop world, because they're not playing pop music, they're playing
whatever the hell they feel like playing. And that's what DMB does, except
they do it much better.

Just to give you an idea of what other bands I like.....
U2
DMB
Collective Soul
Smashing Pumpkins
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
LIVE
Radiohead
Oasis
Goo Goo Dolls

And in all honesty I can stretch this list all the way to J.S. Bach or Puff
Daddy. But the point is, be more open to the music, no one is wrong for
liking any band the way they do. You may look at someone who only has 5 cd's
in their room, maybe 1 Dave Matthews Band cd's, 1 Britney Spears cd, 1 Neil
Diamond cd, and 2 98 degrees cds, and call them stupid or whatever you want
to call them for liking the music they do. But you only see them as stupid
because they might call 98 Degrees they're favorite band, but that's only
because they don't know any other music. That's why, if you really love
music, you need to constantly keep an open mind, and an open ear to alot of
music, and once you do, you'll have a fairly good judgement on what the best
music is. Because if you've never heard the bad, how would you know what's
good? I can guarantee that anyone who has 2 or more DMB cd's is not
dissapointed. And remember, it doesn't take eyes to hear good music.

In Closing: (Insert Madonna's "Music")

A boy called Trampoline, you know what I mean?

Apr 29, 2001, 8:25:52 AM4/29/01
DMB is a great band.

--Dean.

Mr. Legend <aro...@rehearsal.com> wrote in message

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 9:25:08 AM4/29/01
"Mr. Legend" wrote:

> But the point is, be more open to the music, no one is wrong for
> liking any band the way they do.

> That's why, if you really love

> music, you need to constantly keep an open mind, and an open ear to alot of
> music, and once you do, you'll have a fairly good judgement on what the best
> music is.

These two points are spot-on perfect! I couldn't agree more. Judging people by
the music they listen to is foolish, but keeping yourself open to everything
going on out there is just about the smartest. I know for a fact there's music
out there I haven't even discovered yet, but I certainly can't wait to! Anyway,
judging by your list of favorite bands, L, you *may* also like Verve/Richard
Ashcroft, Coldplay, Muse, Jeff Buckley, Travis...

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 11:28:07 AM4/29/01
Sorry if I came off as ignorant, but I do feel I know some things about DMB, I
used to a big fan of theirs I have UNder the Table and dreaming, before these
crowded streets and crash. I wasnt saying that I could what kind of music
people like or saying thta their fans only like that kind of music. I was
saying when I was a fan and all the other fans I was with, would not say that
anyone of their songs was less than perfect. And about all of their songs
sounding similar. He does have a very distinct voice and the band plays very
distinct music, almost everyone of their songs has the same tempo ,
instruments and except for the chorus are all very similar. Eventually I just
got sick of them.. One exception to this is the new album which I have listened
to start to finsih and they do sound different but besideds one or two songs, I
think this is just their worst album. And I know many of their fans agree. So
when they change that formula that they have for most of their songs the
result doesnt come out well. I did not intend to offend anyone and anyone is
entitled to their own opinion about which music they like. Including me, and
its ok if you disagree but I really no longer see any appeal in that band.

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 12:07:01 PM4/29/01

>>> but the BEST
>>>watchtower version i have heard is the dmb versions.

>From: gluck...@aol.comnospam (Michael )

>Did I just miss something here? Jimi's version is sweet but pales in
>comaparison to Dave Matthews. WTF?! What is it I dont get about Dave (it
>hurts me just to say it). Every single person I've met in school seems to
>think Dave is God all hail Dave. Yeah hes talented but only to a certain
>point. Am I the only one that thinks that everyone of their songs is same?
>The
>raging epidemic known as DMB must be stopped, before its too late. OK hes
>not
>that bad bbut he does piss me off a lot with that whiny voice. Sorry if I
>insulted any of his blind followers.

Well it was brought on by someone who was very very naive'...I mean DMB better
than Hendryxs' Watchtower not as good as DMB? How stupid is that? I bet those
people who think DMB dont even know that the song was originated by
Dylan.....tis sad and disturbing at the same time.

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 12:21:34 PM4/29/01
>Mr. Legend" wrote:

>> But the point is, be more open to the music, no one is wrong for
>> liking any band the way they do.

>> That's why, if you really love
>> music, you need to constantly keep an open mind, and an open ear to alot of
>> music, and once you do, you'll have a fairly good judgement on what the
>best
>> music is.

Hold on there parner...there is nothing wrong with liking a band..I like
Barry Manillow (shut up lol), but it is important to KNOW YOUR HISTORY. And
to realize that sometimes the original etc is the real deal...the reason you
like new versions better is becaus eyou were exposed to that first etc etc
and its a travesty and injustice to the originals etc...now some may say that
the new versions are better but DMB? Come on. You lose several integrity
points with that one. I mean even Dave Matthews would slap your ass for that
comment. Stop being sheep. You say constantly keep an open mind and you will
have afairly good judgement on what the best music is? You just threw that
theory right out the door. No respectable person on this earth, ould agree
with you on that DMB Watchtower comment etc........I, like you, wear my heart
on my sleeve, but your sleeve is all dirty and stuff. Dont put your heart on
something dirty, you'll get an infection.

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 12:25:13 PM4/29/01
> But the point is, be more open to the music, no one is wrong for
>> liking any band the way they do.
>
>> That's why, if you really love
>> music, you need to constantly keep an open mind, and an open ear to alot of
>> music, and once you do, you'll have a fairly good judgement on what the
>best

>From: gala...@erols.com

>These two points are spot-on perfect! I couldn't agree more

Ahhhh..look at all the mixed up peopleee..where doo. they all comee
frommm?"-The Beatles

>Judging people by
>the music they listen to is foolish,

It sure is but commenting on their tastes and naivete' is a teaching experience
hopefully.

>but keeping yourself open to everything
>going on out there is just about the smartest.

Nothing wrong with that, but just because youre open to things doesnt mean
youre not getting the correct picture.

>Anyway,
>judging by your list of favorite bands, L, you *may* also like Verve/Richard
>Ashcroft, Coldplay, Muse, Jeff Buckley, Travis...

Those are all great bands even if one of those is a Radiohead wannabe, but none
of those bands are even remotely as good, relevant or anything like Jimi or
Dylan...it's important that you relize that.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 1:14:42 PM4/29/01
thefreak wrote:

> >Judging people by
> >the music they listen to is foolish,
>
> It sure is but commenting on their tastes and naivete' is a teaching experience
> hopefully.

I agree with what you've said, and I'm not sure that it's all that different from
what I wrote. My point is that sometimes what we may think is someone else's
musical naiveté is actually personal preference, and our comments can come off as
judgmental even when they're not meant that way.

> >but keeping yourself open to everything
> >going on out there is just about the smartest.
>
> Nothing wrong with that, but just because youre open to things doesnt mean
> youre not getting the correct picture.

Who defines what's musically correct, though? I have to admit I find that idea a
bit frightening. If I know what kind of music is out there, really know what's out
there, then I can judge for myself what I think is crap and what isn't. At the
same time, I have to keep in mind that one person's crap is another's epiphany.
People have different tastes; it's the way of the world. I absolutely positively
adore Yoko Ono's records from the 1970s. Am I a lost soul listening to crap? Does
it make a difference if I like U2 and Dylan and Lennon and happen to think Hendrix
was a genius of unparalleled proportions? Does that make up for Yoko or do my eyes
need to be opened? Who decides if my opinions are correct?

> >Anyway,
> >judging by your list of favorite bands, L, you *may* also like Verve/Richard
> >Ashcroft, Coldplay, Muse, Jeff Buckley, Travis...
>
> Those are all great bands even if one of those is a Radiohead wannabe, but none
> of those bands are even remotely as good, relevant or anything like Jimi or
> Dylan...it's important that you relize that.

As a 28 year old fan it's important for me to realize that, yes. But, as an 18 or
a 15 year old fan, it isn't. People like what they like, and I know there are even
some out there who couldn't give a damn about Bob Dylan or Bob Marley or Talking
Heads or the Undertones or whoever. In fact, I think getting into modern bands
leads more people to older bands/artists than listening to classic rock radio. If
someone told me they liked Verve, I'd send them off to find some Stooges, MC5, Led
Zeppelin, David Essex, Parliament/Funkadelic, even friggin Al Green (who was a
great big old influence on the recent U2 record, I might add). Knowing musical
history doesn't mean you always have to prefer what came before, and by the same
token, getting into modern bands doesn't necessarily negate the influence of
artists who came before.

Joe

Apr 29, 2001, 1:48:15 PM4/29/01
<applause>
Well said, Mr. Legend...

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 3:00:15 PM4/29/01
Did nobody see my post? I already explained to you that i wasnt ignorant and I
know what I am talkig about with Dave Matthews. I clarified my satement about
the blind followers as that they think everything Dave Matthews does is
perfect, nowhere did I say that people shouldnt listen to him, I said I dont
like him and i said why, and then i even backed that up, your entitled to your
own opinin but so am I. Nowhere in my post did I say that you cant like DMB, I
said I dont like them just as would have said I dont like Britny Spears or
whatever. I think you Dave Diehards really jumped on what I had to say
because I may have insulted you. Sorry I meant no offense to you by it.
However when you said that I wasnt letting people enjoy whatever music they
like that is complete bullshit. No it doesnt take eyes to hear good music.
But it does take brains to realize when to keep your mouth shut. You read into
what I said and put words in my mouth which I never meant or said. Then you
took that and ran off with it and wrote a whole long post ohow each person is
entitled to his opinion, which he is. ANd nowehre did I said you cant have
your own opinion. My post was a response to someone who said that Dmb's
watchtower is better than jimis. You can say that, its just the exact opposite
of what you wee trying to say. If this person was open to anyhting besides
Dave Matthews he wouldnt say that. This prompted me to say that in general
most of Dave Matthews fans follow him blindly and never judge him and think
way too much of him.. And dont think that just because im 15 doesnt mean I dont
appreciate music. You want to know what bands I like: Clapton Cream Beatles
Boston, old aerosmith, floyd the who, stones, u2, pearl jam,deep ppurple jimi,
emerson lake and palmer, dylan (father and son) billy joel bowie, jethro tull
santana rem the verve, neil young, black crowes, lenny kravitz guns and roses,
metalica, some hip hop, no doubt ,live counting crowes petty, clash lennon,
marley and more. So please dont tell me I'm not open to music and havent
expeirenced enough to understand it. Sorry if you feel im blowing up at you, I
just hate when people make genralzations about me and people my age. So you
know what go climb back up Dave MAtthews ass and dont tell me not to judge
people. Thank you

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 3:35:22 PM4/29/01
OK, I'm not quite sure who you're responding to, but since you touch on a couple of
things I mentioned in my last message to this thread, I suspect you may have been
responding to me. (If not, I apologize for jumping in.)

Michael wrote:

> Did nobody see my post?

I saw it, and I thought it was good. If you were responding to my last message
thinking I was referring to you, I wasn't, but I'm sorry if it seemed that that
way. I was speaking in general about some points raised by "thefreak," not about
anything you said or didn't say.

> I think you Dave Diehards really jumped on what I had to say
> because I may have insulted you.

Not that it matters much, but I really, really despise the Dave Matthews
Band...with every ounce of my being. My comments in this thread were of a more
general nature, not about Dave Matthews at all. Again, if you're not referring to
me in that statement, then please disregard all of this.

> My post was a response to someone who said that Dmb's
> watchtower is better than jimis. You can say that, its just the exact opposite
> of what you wee trying to say.

? I happen to think no one could ever do a better version of anything that Jimi
had ever laid his hands on. My point was that having an opinion is OK, no matter
what that opinion is.

> And dont think that just because im 15 doesnt mean I dont
> appreciate music. You want to know what bands I like: Clapton Cream Beatles
> Boston, old aerosmith, floyd the who, stones, u2, pearl jam,deep ppurple jimi,
> emerson lake and palmer, dylan (father and son) billy joel bowie, jethro tull
> santana rem the verve, neil young, black crowes, lenny kravitz guns and roses,
> metalica, some hip hop, no doubt ,live counting crowes petty, clash lennon,
> marley and more. So please dont tell me I'm not open to music and havent
> expeirenced enough to understand it.

Again, I'm not sure if you're referring to me or not. But, if so, you don't need
to list your favorite bands in order to win some musical respect from me (and I
hope not anyone else either). I already respect you!! : ) And, really, your age
is beside the point. I apologize if anything I said felt like an attack.
Honestly, I didn't have any of your messages or the Dave Matthews debate in mind at
all earlier. Like I said, I was interested in the more general points raised by
someone else.

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 3:54:08 PM4/29/01
I appriciate your response but I wasnt responded to you. What you said before
was just a response that really had nothing to do with my original post.
Somebody (forgot his name) took what I said and tried to make it look like I
was saying something else. He did have some good points, but he wasnt arguing
wiht anyone. You were backing him up becasue he did say some legitamite things
to which I agree as well. However I didnt think that you did anything wrong.
As for you respecting my opinion regardless of my age, I am very grateful. Too
often asults will disregard what I have to say for my lack of expeirence. I
thank you for looking past my age to waht i actually had to say. As for
listing my favorite bands, that was a direct response to when he listed which
bands he liked and automatically assumed that I didnt like them. I appreciate
your integrity.

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 4:00:30 PM4/29/01
Sorry I meant to e-mail this personally.its really gotten offtopic I didnt want
to waste anyones time.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 4:09:15 PM4/29/01
I know for a fact there's music
> out there I haven't even discovered yet, but I certainly can't wait to!

Same here. There's always more out there.

Anyway,
> judging by your list of favorite bands, L, you *may* also like
Verve/Richard
> Ashcroft, Coldplay, Muse, Jeff Buckley, Travis...

Yup, I love the verve, it's too bad they broke up, but I will check out
Richard Ashcroft's solo stuff too. Never heard any Coldplay or Muse, or Jeff
Buckley. Have heard some Travis, and I will keep an ear out for some more,
it's pretty good. I like nearly all music anyway, so I'm always open to hear
any bands anyonelse likes that I haven't heard yet.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 4:18:52 PM4/29/01
>OK
> hes
> > not
> > > that bad bbut he does piss me off a lot with that whiny voice

By the way, there's alot of different singing voices out there, and he has a
unique voice, he doesn't always sound like the way you've heard him. I think
his voice is very cool. There's alot of great singers with unique voices out
there..... AC/DC's lead singer, Aerosmith's, Led Zeppelin's, Rolling
Stone's, and plenty more.... But I'd rather have variety. There's an
expression in each voice, the expression is meant to justify the feelings in
the song, to put words to a picture. To describe the picture, the great art
work of which is a song. Listen to DMB's Rhyme And Reason, and maybe you'll
think his voice is annoying, but he has all the rhyme and reason to be
singing it the way he does. What I find annoying is when someone sings in
the same way for everyone of their songs, they may write about death or joy,
and yet they are still singing in the same tone. Now if anything should
bother someone, it should be just that.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 4:25:59 PM4/29/01
"Mr. Legend" wrote:

> Yup, I love the verve, it's too bad they broke up, but I will check out
> Richard Ashcroft's solo stuff too. Never heard any Coldplay or Muse, or Jeff
> Buckley. Have heard some Travis, and I will keep an ear out for some more,
> it's pretty good. I like nearly all music anyway, so I'm always open to hear
> any bands anyonelse likes that I haven't heard yet.

Not to get too terribly off-topic, but if there's one Ashcroft song to hear,
then it would be "New York." The lead singer from Coldplay sounds almost
exactly like Dave Matthews, but their songs are more in line with a band like
Travis. Muse sound like Radiohead, but are good nonetheless. And Jeff Buckley
was simply amazing. U2 covered his cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" at the
Free Tibet thing. You may like him, as well.

<subliminal message> Check out Super Furry Animals! <end subliminal message>

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 4:48:32 PM4/29/01
I was
> saying when I was a fan and all the other fans I was with, would not say
that
> anyone of their songs was less than perfect.

Ah I see. That's definitley justified, both by you and those other fans.
Usually what happens as I mentioned in a previous post, is that sometimes
when you become so much into a band, to the point where your an obssesed
fan, your judgement becomes a little distorted, and it becomes too hard to
compare the songs to anything, because you've heard them so much to the
point where you know every word, and you know the songs so well that usually
you just can't compare them to anythingelse, it just doesn't work for some
reason, maybe sometimes. But it's almost like why some bands when they
listen to their music over and over again, and play the songs over and over
again, they just don't like them that much, or when your writing a story or
a poem or something, and your working on it, and you keep changing and
changing it, cause it never really sounds right. It's some sort of
psychological thing.
As for you, I don't like all of DMB songs, but I do like 90% of them, and
that's just me. I can't really stand songs like Recently, or maybe Tripping
Billies, there ok, but not what I like. Again, that's just me. And I think
it is kinda odd for someone to claim all their songs are as great as
eachother, and are anything less than perfect. You can name several things
you don't like about a song, but that's opposite of what I do, if I can find
just one thing in a song I like, then I like the song. Even if the chorus is
all messed up, I might like the verses or the bridge. Or sometimes just the
intro sounds cool. But that doesn't make the song perfect.

And about all of their songs
> sounding similar. He does have a very distinct voice and the band plays
very
> distinct music, almost everyone of their songs has the same tempo ,
> instruments and except for the chorus are all very similar.

True.

Eventually I just
> got sick of them..

hmm.... that's odd. I wouldn't know that feeling, I don't think I've ever
become sick of a band. I just hang onto them, and move to the next, and go
around my huge circle of favorites, and come back to it, and I'd still like
it. Maybe create yourself a huge circle of bands, and come back to them some
other time. Don't worry about the other fans at all. Just chill, and enjoy
the music. Make yourself angry or something, and go listen to DMB. Try
singing along or drumming along. I reccomend that.

One exception to this is the new album which I have listened
> to start to finsih and they do sound different but besideds one or two
songs, I
> think this is just their worst album.

hmmm..... Maybe I shouldn't say this because I don't have the album, but I'd
probably say Recently is the worst album, but like I said, I don't have it,
so maybe I shouldn't say that, I also don't have Live At Luther College, so
I'd probably throw that in the same category, but the one album that I have,
that I like the least is Remember Two Things. I mean it has good songs, Ants
Marching and Sattelite, and the Christmas Song, but two of those are already
on Under The Table And Dreaming. And as for the other songs on it, I think
parts of them are okay, but as a whole, they just aren't as good as other
DMB stuff. As for their new album......It's definitely not their greatest
stuff, but for some reason I couldn't stop listening to it when I first
bought it, listened to it for the first week, every day, 3-6 hours straight,
on freakin repeat the whole time. The song Everyday is a new twist, kinda
sounds like some Dakota Moon stuff. I also like When The World Ends, I LOVE
the Space Between, What You Are is okay, Fool TO think is good, Sleep to
Dream Her. But I don't like I Did It as much as everyonelse, and I can't
believe they made it the single. If I had it all has good parts, but in
general isn't a great song, it's ok, it has a good meaning I think, listen
to the lyrics of it.

And I know many of their fans agree. So
> when they change that formula that they have for most of their songs the
> result doesnt come out well.

Well, it still sounds like the same DMB, I think what happened was that they
TRIED to change the formula, and they were succesful in songs like What You
Are and Everyday and the Space Between. And they weren't succesful because
when they tried something it kind of got mixed with something old, and got
all, how should I put this...... jumbled..together.. and they end up with I
Did It, and maybe one or two other songs. I don't like that spanish type
thing they did with one of the songs, it just doesnt sound right. Clapton
did the same thing on his Chronicals album. They think it's a new trend or
something LOL.

I did not intend to offend anyone and anyone is
> entitled to their own opinion about which music they like. Including me,
and
> its ok if you disagree but I really no longer see any appeal in that band.

Well they aren't very appealing anyway. I mean, look at them, they don't try
to be appealing, and I think to some people, that is appealing. I mean you
won't hear Dave laughing and joking around in his songs, without sounding a
little devilish about it, they're dark. Kinda like The Police, except for
they're aren't any cheesy repetitions.

As for musical appealing.... Yeah, there dry, I can't explain it, but Dry
seems like a good word. It's like the sand that keeps blowing in your face.
A dry windy desert. I mean, the wind comes through often to cool you down,
and your getting a nice tan, but you got sand all over yah, and it's dry as
hell. The only thing keeping you from dehydrating is the emotion in it, the
sweat from your anger that your in the desert, the tears from your sadness.
And just that occasional joy, not the joy where you have enough energy to
jump up and down, but a small bit of joy you feel inside where you can smile
and say, hey I'm still alive, I've crossed this large desert, with the wind
against me, and the sand and the sun in my face, and it kind of makes you
but only for a short while.

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 4:47:25 PM4/29/01
>. There's alot of great singers with unique voices out
>there..... AC/DC's lead singer, Aerosmith's, Led Zeppelin's, Rolling
>Stone's, and plenty more.... But I'd rather have variety.

Just because I dont like his voice doesnt mean I dont like Steven Tyler, Robert
Plant Mick Jagger or Bons Scott. PLease dont put words in my mouth which I
didnt say. I dont like Dave MAtthews voice, I do like diversity in music. I
dont like when in your attempt to defend Dave Matthews, you make it sound like
I am talkig about every singer with a distinct voice. When you dont have any
points to back up your arguement, dont make any, especially ones that have
nothing to do with what I said.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 5:00:34 PM4/29/01
Actually, I generally take someones post, and then reply to it for a small
part, but for the most part I don't make a personal reply. I just take the
situation, and add on to it, and when I start adding onto it (making it into
a long post) then I'm talking in general, I completely forget who I'm even
replying to. My points made in that long reply to you (the first one) were
for anyone who feels like reading. Infact I think it would be kinda cool if
more people did that, to expand on things, rather than leaving replies
contained by the initial discussion. Hm.... can't really explain it too
well. But I was replying to words, I wasn't putting the words in your mouth,
I was taking the words out of my head, and putting them onto my post that
started out as a reply to you but ended up as me going on about some topic
that never really existed. Because sometimes, while we're around a subject
that I like to argue about, yet not talking about at all, I throw it in
there as an extra and just respond to an argument I made up. Well anyway, I
doubt anyone has a clue what I'm talking about now, but I am very very sorry
that I upset you. I know you didn't mean anything offending by your post,
and I hope everyonelse knows that too. I was merely arguing with myself
again, hoping more would join in on the discussion. I'm sorry.

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 5:01:10 PM4/29/01
>gala...@erols.com

>thefreak wrote:
>
>> >Judging people by
>> >the music they listen to is foolish,
>>
>> It sure is but commenting on their tastes and naivete' is a teaching
>experience
>> hopefully.
>
>I agree with what you've said, and I'm not sure that it's all that different
>from
>what I wrote. My point is that sometimes what we may think is someone else's
>musical naiveté is actually personal preference, and our comments can come
>off as
>judgmental even when they're not meant that way.
>
>> >but keeping yourself open to everything
>> >going on out there is just about the smartest.
>>
>> Nothing wrong with that, but just because youre open to things doesnt mean
>> youre not getting the correct picture.
>
>Who defines what's musically correct, though?

Well it is not exactly defining what's musically correct per se', it's
"knowing" what's musically wrong and someone stating that DMB has a better
version than Jimi's version of Watchtower is WRONG- I know that sounds
judgemental and all those things inherently mean and evil but that is the
truth. If you cant see that then there is no hope for you....hopefully in the
future the person (Legend) will see how silly that statement was.

I have to admit I find that
>idea a
>bit frightening. If I know what kind of music is out there, really know
>what's out
>there, then I can judge for myself what I think is crap and what isn't.

Sure...YOU can...but Mr Legend is gonna need some help. He must be given our
complete attention for he is a very sick man indeed. he has been brainwashed
by souless pap...hoodwinked into believing fake enthiuaiasm....bamboozled into
thinking tritie is right.

At
>the
>same time, I have to keep in mind that one person's crap is another's
>epiphany.

But is DMB version of Watchtower anyones ephiphany? If so then we ned to help
those poor souls.

>People have different tastes; it's the way of the world. I absolutely
>positively
>adore Yoko Ono's records from the 1970s. Am I a lost soul listening to crap?

Yoko has more integrity than DMB singing Watchtower. Dont misunderstand my
meaning in all of this.

>Does
>it make a difference if I like U2 and Dylan and Lennon and happen to think
>Hendrix
>was a genius of unparalleled proportions?

YES it makes a difference! Yes!!! It prooves your not a sheep, that you have
good taste, that you know originality, that you know integrity....

Does that make up for Yoko or do
>my eyes
>need to be opened? Who decides if my opinions are correct?

Well I can. Besdies Im not bagging on Yoko or DMB..I even like Dont Drink The
water with Alanis wailing in the back (thats my girl), Im just saying dont get
so lost and jaded by these bands etc that you lose focus on "the good stuff".
And I wasnt even meaning you anyways in the first place, unless you were the
one who agred that DMB version of Watchtower was better than Jimis'.

> >Anyway,
>> >judging by your list of favorite bands, L, you *may* also like
>Verve/Richard
>> >Ashcroft, Coldplay, Muse, Jeff Buckley, Travis...
>>
>> Those are all great bands even if one of those is a Radiohead wannabe, but
>none
>> of those bands are even remotely as good, relevant or anything like Jimi or
>> Dylan...it's important that you relize that.
>
>As a 28 year old fan it's important for me to realize that, yes. But, as an
>18 or
>a 15 year old fan, it isn't. People like what they like, and I know there
>are even
>some out there who couldn't give a damn about Bob Dylan or Bob Marley or
>Talking
>Heads or the Undertones or whoever. In fact, I think getting into modern
>bands
>leads more people to older bands/artists than listening to classic rock
>radio. If
>someone told me they liked Verve, I'd send them off to find some Stooges,
>MC5, Led
>Zeppelin, David Essex, Parliament/Funkadelic, even friggin Al Green (who was
>great big old influence on the recent U2 record, I might add).

Thank god you added soem parliament Funkadelic in there, I was beginning to
think you were narrow......Im not raggin on your musical tatse because
obviously you have some, Im raggin on anyone and everyone whonwould have the
audacity to think DMB does a better watchtower than Jimi. Those that do, have
no sense of music in my book. People like that made millionaires out of those
lame 80's artists who did remakes of 60's and 70's songs to make a quick buck.

>Knowing
>musical
>history doesn't mean you always have to prefer what came before, and by the
>same
>token, getting into modern bands doesn't necessarily negate the influence of
>artists who came before.

I agree...but DMB,,,.....come on. Even saying U2's version is better than Jimis
is just one of the worst cases of asskissing that I have ever read.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 5:05:09 PM4/29/01

> ? I happen to think no one could ever do a better version of anything
that Jimi
> had ever laid his hands on.

And my opinion on why no one else could ever do a better version, is that
because when he played his songs, he played it with realism, there was
nothingelse about it. Just realism, like just an improptu jam. Just jamming
out, and no one did it better. He has it in his own style, you can't just
take a Hendrix song, and play it exactly like he did with the same exact
style, or even be exactly like he was on stage. Infact it's so much realism,
that I read somewhere that he often made alot of mistakes when playing, like
he'd hit notes that he didn't mean to hit. But it's a natural treasure that
could never be copied.

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 5:07:07 PM4/29/01

>> ? I happen to think no one could ever do a better version of anything
>that Jimi
>> had ever laid his hands on.

>From: "Mr. Legend"

>And my opinion on why no one else could ever do a better version, is that
>because when he played his songs, he played it with realism, there was
>nothingelse about it. Just realism, like just an improptu jam. Just jamming
>out, and no one did it better. He has it in his own style, you can't just
>take a Hendrix song, and play it exactly like he did with the same exact
>style, or even be exactly like he was on stage. Infact it's so much realism,
>that I read somewhere that he often made alot of mistakes when playing, like
>he'd hit notes that he didn't mean to hit. But it's a natural treasure that
>could never be copied.

Oh, is that the reason you said that you think DMB doe s a better version than
his All Along The Watchtower?

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 5:07:42 PM4/29/01
>From: "Mr. Legend"

Uh...dude...who's on first again?

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 5:21:35 PM4/29/01

>I was
>> saying when I was a fan and all the other fans I was with, would not say
>that
>> anyone of their songs was less than perfect.
>
>Ah I see. That's definitley justified, both by you and those other fans.

I'm glad you see what I was talking about. Maybe if you looked at my original
post more closely you would have seen what I was trying to say instead of what
you wanted me to say after I originally stated I didnt like DMB.

> And about all of their songs
>> sounding similar. He does have a very distinct voice and the band plays
>very
>> distinct music, almost everyone of their songs has the same tempo ,
>> instruments and except for the chorus are all very similar.
>
>True.

If you say its true why then would you argue with me about it being not true?
This is the same person right?

>Eventually I just
>> got sick of them..
>
>hmm.... that's odd. I wouldn't know that feeling, I don't think I've ever
>become sick of a band. I just hang onto them, and move to the next, and go
>around my huge circle of favorites,

When I started listening to them it was becasue I was drawn to them becasue
they were so different than any other current band. I was expecting to find a
whole new type of music which I had never heard. Kinda like U2. But once I
started getting into them I was hoping i would here something different in
their music. After the first couple of albums I realized that most of their
songs really werent that different, and I felt like I has heard enough of them.
It had become repetitive listening to a full album, I found myself skipping
tracks on albums but never to come to one I liked. I just kept skipping but I
felt like I was listening to the song I just skipped. Now when I hear a DMB
song I think thats not too bad but if I want to hear another song it'll be the
same. Eventually I just got bored listening to them, it felt like my cd player
was stuck on one song.

> when they change that formula that they have for most of their songs the
>> result doesnt come out well.

> think what happened was that they

>TRIED to change the formula

>And they weren't succesful

exactly what I said, they are incapable of producing anythong different than
one they have already made, and having it come out well. Not that they are not
talented , but their only excel with that same formula.

> Clapton
>did the same thing on his Chronicals album.

Actually Clapton didnt change any style on his Chronicles album. Chronicles
is just like a greatest hits album volume two. It is a compilation, album, he
didnt change any formula on that album, he changed his formula when he went
solo 20 years before., And I've got millions of album buyers who say that his
change was successful. Clapton mellowed out and wrote 'nice sounding music'
which is different but just as amazing, and whats more is that his own music is
so diverse it amazing, DMB on the other hand wrote lots of similar music then
tried ot write something else and failed.

>>> I really no longer see any appeal in that band.
>
>Well they aren't very appealing anyway. I mean, look at them,

Dont be a smart ass. No I didnot mean that I used to like them sexually. I
mean I no longer like their music.

I dont know what you start saying at the end of your post about their music
being dry like a desert frankly I dont care. I really am not interested in DMB
anymore and I was just trying to clarify would I said becasue you purposely or
accidentally mistook what I said, turned it around so it fit your arguement and
tried to use thhat against me. Your numerous comments have annoyed me and I
longer care to carry on this discussion for my sake and the the rest of the
newsgroup. I dont care if you enjoy DMB but please dont make it look like I
said things which I didnt and then critisize me for it. In doing that you gave
at least one person the wrong impression in what I had actually said, and I
emailed this person so that he would not mistake would I said for what you
think I said. So Mr Legend, if you would kindly fuck off I would greatly
appreciate it.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 5:26:50 PM4/29/01
LOL! OK, I think I will just agree to disagree with you on a couple of points.

thefreak wrote:

> Well it is not exactly defining what's musically correct per se', it's
> "knowing" what's musically wrong and someone stating that DMB has a better
> version than Jimi's version of Watchtower is WRONG- I know that sounds
> judgemental and all those things inherently mean and evil but that is the
> truth. If you cant see that then there is no hope for you....hopefully in the
> future the person (Legend) will see how silly that statement was.

Would you feel differently if he'd said he *liked* Dave Matthews' version better,
rather than it *is* better, than Jimi's? One is opinion and one is a statement of
fact. I happen to disagree with that opinion, but if anyone honestly prefers Dave
Matthews to Hendrix, who am I to tell him he's wrong? So yeah, I guess there's no
hope for me! : )

> >Does
> >it make a difference if I like U2 and Dylan and Lennon and happen to think
> >Hendrix
> >was a genius of unparalleled proportions?
>
> YES it makes a difference! Yes!!! It prooves your not a sheep, that you have
> good taste, that you know originality, that you know integrity....

I'm not so sure. There's a lot of hype around all of these artists. I could be
saying these things because I know it garners respect from other music fans, rather
than from any deep connection I may have had with their music. This isn't the
case, but what if it was? How could anyone tell? Does name-checking a certain
list of bands make me more of a music fan, or a better music fan, than someone
else?

> Im just saying dont get
> so lost and jaded by these bands etc that you lose focus on "the good stuff".

This is a fantastic point! There is so much out there that is amazing that I know
nothing about. That's why music remains my prime passion in life. But, I've got
some utter crap in my collection that I once thought the best there ever was. For
people like me, music is a very slow progression of discovery, moving from band to
band to band, until I arrive at what I consider the best. Sometimes the best is a
seminal artist (e.g., Hendrix, Dylan, etc.), sometimes it's a new artist (ELO and
Beach Boys influenced Super Furry Animals, damn it!). But realizing what's "good"
takes time and everybody's musical tastes develop at different speeds. I guess I'm
just the champion of patience. : )

> And I wasnt even meaning you anyways in the first place, unless you were the
> one who agred that DMB version of Watchtower was better than Jimis'.

No, and I knew you weren't speaking to me. But I thought I'd weigh in with a
slightly different opinion. The spice of life and all that, yeh?

> Thank god you added soem parliament Funkadelic in there, I was beginning to
> think you were narrow......

And I forgot to mention Big Star. Legend, add Big Star to the Verve-y influences.
They're amazing!

> Even saying U2's version is better than Jimis
> is just one of the worst cases of asskissing that I have ever read.

Here we disagree. As long as the person prefers U2 to Jimi, then there isn't much
I can say. Maybe the person likes to hear Bono's voice instead of Jimi's. I don't
know. It doesn't matter much to me, but I respect the fact that it does to you.

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 5:31:04 PM4/29/01

Thats very nice and I hope you share some interesting insights with yourself,
but please dont make it look like I or any oneelse for that matter is saying
something to you which they arent. You have confused a few people wh oe-mailed
me assuming that I said very negative things becasue of your response to
yourself through me. Next time please indicate that it is yourself to who you
are replying to and not anyone else. By the way my uncle's a shrink if you
need help I can give you his phone number.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 5:50:01 PM4/29/01

Michael <gluck...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> Sorry I meant to e-mail this personally.its really gotten offtopic I didnt
want
> to waste anyones time.

Going off topic, is no waste of time.......

Infact we as humans often waste time.....What really is a waste of time? Is
anything but living a waste of time? Yes..... exactly... We can measure a
waste of time, but there is no definite waste of time. We are all wasting
time. Time doesn't even exist, my brothers and sisters.... Time is off the
essence. It was what we do that makes up this time.... Time is only a
measurement as to what point to the next. Like a line segment. You can not
measure a line segment without two end points.

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 5:53:55 PM4/29/01
>Going off topic, is no waste of time.......
>
>Infact we as humans often waste time.....What really is a waste of time? Is
>anything but living a waste of time? Yes..... exactly... We can measure a
>waste of time, but there is no definite waste of time. We are all wasting
>time. Time doesn't even exist, my brothers and sisters.... Time is off the
>essence. It was what we do that makes up this time.... Time is only a
>measurement as to what point to the next. Like a line segment. You can not
>measure a line segment without two end points.

You know I think I should give you my uncles phone number.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 5:57:18 PM4/29/01
took what I said and tried to make it look like I
> was saying something else.

hmmmm... Not true.

but he wasnt arguing
> wiht anyone.

True!!!! Yes, I like to do that.

> As for you respecting my opinion regardless of my age, I am very grateful.
Too
> often asults will disregard what I have to say for my lack of expeirence.

I had no idea that you were young. And that had nothing to do with my post.
I am STRONGLY in favor of disregarding age. There's alot of flaws in every
human, age is one of them. On both ends. But who cares, we're all humans.
None of us are perfect. Infact if you would like for me to start an argument
on this and argue with myself, I will gladly, and proudly do so. Honestly.

As for
> listing my favorite bands, that was a direct response to when he listed
which
> bands he liked and automatically assumed that I didnt like them. I
appreciate
> your integrity.

No No, No. I didn't automatically assume you didn't like the bands I
listed. That was part of my arguing with to whomever it applied to you.
Infact I can't think of too many arguments I've made in the past that
applied to anyone single person. I just like to argue points. Maybe I should
become a lawyer? I took your words, replied to them, and thought nothing
personal about it. I listed those bands that I liked because those are the
bands I liked. I believe that my assumption that you did not have any DMB
cd's was CLEARLY UNEXCEPTABLE, and I apologize. I was actually in very good
spirits when writing that post, but through this damn screen, you wouldn't
be able to tell that. It's just something all of internet chatters need to
move past. And try to solve misunderstandings with common ideals. And with
the Doesnt Take Eyes To Hear Good Music being in all caps, I said to myself,
should I put it in caps or not, before I did, because it might look like I
was yelling..... but I didn't listen to my brain, and just put them in all
caps, because I thought it was a cool saying. Honestly.... isn't that
stupid? We all do dumb things, but you have to admit, it is a pretty good
saying....

And my whole neil diamond, 5 cd's crap was an example that a person may
think Britney Spears is the greatest, but that might only be because they've
only listened to 5 cd's all their life. And that was my whole open to more
music argument with whomever it applied to. Infact I was almost believing
when writing that, that everyone including you was arguing the point with me
against to whomever it applied to.

As for your favorite bands..... your just one more young person proving that
not every kid listens to that teen pop stuff. Which for a while I was losing
hope in. But about a year ago, I realized that there are kids who like the
rock music and such.....

Right now, I think it's just the kids who are around 8-14 who are
listening to the teen pop, and yes there are exceptions. But I think that's
ok, I think it's kind of not so healthy to let a young child at the age of 8
to be listening to such emotional music such as heavy metal, rap, or
whatever. I think they're psychological aspects are kind of sensitive at
that age to certain emotions. But as they get older into their early and
late teens, they need those sort of emotions, or whatever.

By the way, some adults look back when they were kids, and regret some
of the stupid and embarrasing things they did, so they pick on the younger
ones. It's just a psychological thing. Some adults realize how fear, and
ignorant they were at the world when they were young, so they pick on yah
when they think your about to break. Just remember when you get older, what
you thought of life, and what you thought of your childhood, and adults,
just to have a good idea of how to communicate with kids, when your older.
There are always exceptions. It's just that sometimes.......a few adults may
be a little jealous that your so young, and they may not even know it.
Nothing wrong with it, it's just about being human. They realize how silly
they were when they were kids. But if dead people were ghosts to live with
us on earth, I'm pretty sure they'd pick on the adults. Simply because, they
can't turn back the clock, and change anything. And other factors play into
it. By picking I mean, anything..... Assumptions, ignorance, whatever you
can name.....And this applies to all ages, someone may of done something to
them when they were whatever age, so they start the chain reaction and move
down the line. And this all happens because we are given choice, and we take
the choice to learn how to be upset and angry from others. And this happens
naturally, we usually don't make the choice when were kids to say, hey I
will never ever get upset ever in my lifetime. We just learn it from
others.... And we make the choice to get upset at someone and continue to
move the chain reaction of anger and hate, but fortunatley for us humans,
there is a chain of love and compassion. And we often use both. Some people
are committed to try and use either one. Unfortunatley mistakes weigh larger
than not making a mistake....for instance, and I've used this example
before, but you can bump into someone in a perfect world, and they could
make the choice to misunderstand it or not. If they misunderstand the
bumping into them, then they will start the chain reaction of anger and
hate, ruining what was once the perfect world. How did they learn how to
misunderstand? To make choices? Who knows.... It's all apart of being
human..... Your biological figure exists, it's bound to destroy something.
Like a tornado, so it exists.... If it exists, it's bound to do something.
If you don't want to start any chain reactions, that's too bad... you
will..... even if your oxygen... or a piece of dust. That piece of dust
could get caught in my eye. And maybe by accident and trying to get it out,
I go blind.... and ect..... then that leads to other things. As for learning
how to misunderstand something.... well it's hard to explain, it's kind of a
tie in between expectations and your own thoughts. You may as a child get
food when you wake up in the morning..... So you expect it to happen
again.... Not because you expect it, but because you remember it, and you
know no difference between day 1 or day 2, infact the baby may even believe
that it's life is a repetative circle. That goes around and around and
around. And everything happens the same way.... When the baby does not get
the food, it cries, realizing.... that life isn't a broken record, and from
this.... you know that the baby has misunderstood. This creates emotion....
And I have absolutely no idea why a baby cries because life isn't a broken
record.... Maybe some hormones are realeased or something when it finds out
something new. It's brain grows bigger, and so that hurts, so it cries....
or maybe it doesn't hurt, it's just a chemical change in the brain...... so
anyway, the baby now misunderstands the mother or whomever fed it first.
And that is a common human characteristic that is apart of your entire life.
There's absolutely no way you can avoid misunderstanding.... even with
yourself....

SO ANYWAY......
I was not putting words into your mouth about babies.... it was more one of
my arguments I like to put down on paper..... If I have an argument that I
think is good. Wherelse am I gonna put it?????? I'm gonna write it down as
soon as I think of it!

Oh yeah, even you made an assumption.... I'm not an adult.... well kinda....
if being 18 counts....
Why am I sharing all this? Why not? I'm sick of being closed.... Let's all
become hippies damnit!!!!

Clapton, Cream, Beatles, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam,
Jimi Hendrix, Billy Joel, Lenny Kravitz, Counting Crowes, Tom Petty, John
Lennon, Bob Marley, Verve, REM, LIVE, Santana, and of course U2 all some of
my favorites..... I can definitley say you have very great taste in music!
But you don't need me to tell you that.

I haven't heard any Boston, Emerson Lake And Palmer, or No Doubt.....which
songs or albums do you reccomend?

As for the rest, all great stuff, but haven't listened to more than maybe
2-5 songs. As for Dylan (father and son).... do you mean as in the
Wallflowers? Or does Jacob have a solo album????

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 6:00:11 PM4/29/01

Okay thanks.

must check furry animals..... must check furry animals.....

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 6:16:51 PM4/29/01
"Mr. Legend" wrote:

> Is anything but living a waste of time?

So have you heard Lennon's "Beautiful Boy," then? It's got a great lyric, "Life
is what happens when you're busy making other plans" (later used in the fairly
ho-hum "Mr. Holland's Opus," I think).

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 6:19:20 PM4/29/01
gala...@erols.com wrote:

"while you're busy," not "when" ... whoops

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 6:23:29 PM4/29/01
>From: gala...@erols.com

>Would you feel differently if he'd said he *liked* Dave Matthews' version
>better,
>rather than it *is* better, than Jimi's?

Yeah, but he owuld still be mocked :-)

>but if anyone honestly prefers Dave
>Matthews to Hendrix, who am I to tell him he's wrong?

You dont like to help the poor and the sick do you lol?

>So yeah, I guess there's no
>hope for me! : )

Dont be facetious:this is serious business we're talkin here :-)

>ES it makes a difference! Yes!!! It prooves your not a sheep, that you have
>> good taste, that you know originality, that you know integrity....

>I'm not so sure. There's a lot of hype around all of these artists.

That aint hype...it's been provin that all praise is worth it and the music has
stood the test of time.

>I could be
>saying these things because I know it garners respect from other music fans,
>rather
>than from any deep connection I may have had with their music.

true, but thats not what Im doing.

>nothing about. That's why music remains my prime passion in life.

cool! It used to be for me but little by little it's fading away, which I
thought would never happen ;-(

>But, I've got
>some utter crap in my collection that I once thought the best there ever was.

Me too: but I realize its crap and so do you. Thats the important gist that
Mr Legend doesnt realize lol.

>But realizing what's "good"
>takes time and everybody's musical tastes develop at different speeds.

Good point! Thats al Im doing is heloing Legend, putting him up to speed if
you will :-)

>I guess I'm
>just the champion of patience. : )

you go boy:-)

>Even saying U2's version is better than Jimis
>> is just one of the worst cases of asskissing that I have ever read.
>

>Here we disagree. As long as the person prefers U2 to Jimi, then there isn't
>much
>I can say.

What si there TO say? All I can do is try to help, and thats what this has
been all about in essence. I help by forcing my bloated and opinionated tatses
on some nice guy :-) But I do thjat to all my friends too so its not an attack
but a show of love that I want to take the time to educate. Yes it sounds
pompous, but thats me in a nutshell. Nice, but still pompous and self
depreciating hehe.

>Maybe the person likes to hear Bono's voice instead of Jimi's. I don't
>know. It doesn't matter much to me, but I respect the fact that it does to
>you.

Good point.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 6:27:23 PM4/29/01

> Would you feel differently if he'd said he *liked* Dave Matthews' version
better,
> rather than it *is* better, than Jimi's? One is opinion and one is a
statement of
> fact. I happen to disagree with that opinion, but if anyone honestly
prefers Dave
> Matthews to Hendrix, who am I to tell him he's wrong? So yeah, I guess
there's no
> hope for me! : )

I don't know what's going on here, all I know is that I've heard DMB's
version once, thought it was ok. DMB is my second favorite band. I like
Jimi's version much better. But I want to hear U2 play the song, but It's
all just opinion stuff...... I doubt anyone here really cares.....

> I'm not so sure. There's a lot of hype around all of these artists. I
could be
> saying these things because I know it garners respect from other music
fans, rather
> than from any deep connection I may have had with their music. This isn't
the
> case, but what if it was? How could anyone tell? Does name-checking a
certain
> list of bands make me more of a music fan, or a better music fan, than
someone
> else?

Nope, it's all about chillin, and liking whatever music you like. As for
judging who's the better band, it's all about the big picture. I mean if
alot of people with alot of favorite bands like U2 as their ultimate
favorite band, isn't U2 the best band of all time? I mean..... if the people
don't think they are..... then whoelse is gonna come along and decide that
they are? My point was that you have a better judgement, and your vote might
count as more of a reliable source if your open to alot of music. I mean if
you take the top 50% of the music fans in the world. And take the top 50% of
that 50% who have more than 50 favorite bands. You have 25% of the world's
population, or whatever it may be.... By doing this you eliminate most of
the chance for error in a survey. Any error would come from a casual music
listener who only likes say.... Rod Stewart. If a music listener thought of
Rod Stewart to be the best of all time, and they only like 5 other bands,
and haven't heard much other music. They may not be a good person to take
part in the survey.....BY ALL MEANS.. They are Not wrong for thinking Rod
Stewart is the greatest... That is their opinion, just as we all have
opinions. But strictly talking logic.... They would only be wrong if the
results of the survey showed that U2 was the greatest of all time. But
that's only going by the written terms and conditions of the poll or survey.
Rod Stewart may have the greatest scratchy voice of all time, for instance,
or the best song about young people or whatever....And that may be why a
person sees them as their favorite.... There's no point in trying to figure
out who the greatest is of all time, by doing some dumb survey. But the
moral of the story is that you can't blame someone if they think one band is
the greatest of all time, and you disagree. There's nothing wrong with how
their thinking. It's just that, they may be more accurate if they listen to
more music. The more different music you listen to, the better judgement you
might have as to the general opinion of the entire world, and only by the
entire world is it justified. It's like saying your favorite song of all
time is say California Dreamin', and that no song is better, but say if all
you heard was a couple 60s songs, and then in the 80s, you say the best song
of all time is With Or Without You.... and that goes to show that your
chances of figuring out what the best song you've ever heard increases when
you hear more music, and keep an open mind, and even though people may like
different songs for different reasons. It still doesn't change the fact that
finding your favorite song increases when you hear more music. Because......
When you hear all sorts of different lyrics, different sounds, different
instruments, and feeling those different emotions, it changes the way you
react to a song. Like say for instance, one day you thought heavy metal was
to harsh, and you just couldn't stand the screaming, you soon become sort of
desensitized, and then you enjoy it. And it effects what you think about
RnB. Or you may think that hearing a word like "dangit" was outgoing and
rock n rollish LOL, but later you hear swear words in songs, and you no
longer think the word dangit is that bad. It's all about keeping an open
mind to more music, to come to a common area of songs between us all. And
there already is a common circle of songs in the world that people find to
be their favorites. But the more music everyone listens to, the narrower the
circle becomes. And we may eventually narrow it down to 100 or 200 hundred
of the best songs in the world's common opinion, which is really in all
reality a very very small number compared to the amount of favorite songs
out there.

> This is a fantastic point! There is so much out there that is amazing
that I know
> nothing about. That's why music remains my prime passion in life. But,
I've got
> some utter crap in my collection that I once thought the best there ever
was. For
> people like me, music is a very slow progression of discovery, moving from
band to
> band to band, until I arrive at what I consider the best. Sometimes the
best is a
> seminal artist (e.g., Hendrix, Dylan, etc.), sometimes it's a new artist
(ELO and
> Beach Boys influenced Super Furry Animals, damn it!). But realizing
what's "good"
> takes time and everybody's musical tastes develop at different speeds. I
guess I'm
> just the champion of patience. : )

You bring up a prime example of what I just explained above, and I didn't
even read this paragraph before I wrote the above section.

> And I forgot to mention Big Star. Legend, add Big Star to the Verve-y
influences.
> They're amazing!

Okay kewl. I will check them out, thanks!

> > Even saying U2's version is better than Jimis
> > is just one of the worst cases of asskissing that I have ever read.

I don't think anyone said that. However, and I'm repeating myself hear....
that I would like for U2 to play the song again. Otherwise I would've said I
would like for Jimi to play the song again, and that just wouldn't make
sense, now would it? I also said (and I am repeating myself again, but I
guess I have to for some people).... That U2's version is missing some
hendrix. Because if Edge doesn't include a solo like Hendrix's in it, then
of course he's gonna get bored with the song! And by making it more
interesting, they could play it without getting bored by it.

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 6:25:24 PM4/29/01

>>Well they aren't very appealing anyway. I mean, look at them,

see the superficiality...god he is hopeless

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 6:34:58 PM4/29/01

> > Clapton
> >did the same thing on his Chronicals album.
> Actually Clapton didnt change any style on his Chronicles album.
Chronicles
> is just like a greatest hits album volume two. It is a compilation,
album, he
> didnt change any formula on that album, he changed his formula when he
went
> solo 20 years before., And I've got millions of album buyers who say that
his
> change was successful. Clapton mellowed out and wrote 'nice sounding
music'
> which is different but just as amazing, and whats more is that his own
music is
> so diverse it amazing, DMB on the other hand wrote lots of similar music
then
> tried ot write something else and failed.

I wasn't talking about Clapton going primarily unplugged, I was talking
about that latin style song that is on the Chronicals album, and the latin
style song that is on the DMB album.

> Dont be a smart ass. No I didnot mean that I used to like them sexually.
> mean I no longer like their music.

Hm..... another misunderstanding..... I could've expanded my reason, but I
guess I'll have to now.... they don't try to be glam rockers is what I was
saying, there aren't very much black sunglasses on.... Not much leather, or
shiny looking stuff.... They don't try to make it appealing.... Like alot of
other bands and artists do....

>So Mr Legend, if you would kindly fuck off I would greatly
> appreciate it.

I apologize for the stupidity of the person emailing you, but I wasn't the
person who emailed you, and it looks like you still have some growing up to
do, because your negative responses show no sign of trying to end a
misunderstanding on a good note.

In all honestly, I hope you have a great day, and I apologize again.

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 6:40:40 PM4/29/01
I wont reply to the begining of that becasue I have no idea what the hell youre
talking about and I doubt that you would either.

>>I haven't heard any Boston, Emerson Lake And Palmer, or No Doubt.....which
>songs or albums do you reccomend?

Boston is a late 70s early 80s progressive rock band form Boston. They use
lots of synthezer and even more guitar. I recomend their self titled debut.
Their big hits were Peace of Mind, Foreplay/LongTime and more.

Emerson Lake and Palmer another 70s progressive band. Keith Emrson was one of
the greatest keyboardist of all time. Carl Palmer is an exceptional drummer
and Greg lake is a good guitarist but a much better song writer. Brain SAlad
Surgery, Pictures at an exhibition and any of their best of are all great
albums. THeir two most well known songs would probably be Lucky Man and
KarnEvil 9 1st impression part 2.

No Doubt does not belong in the same class as the other bands I mentioned.
Their are a 90s alternative like band that has gone mainstream with lead songer
Gwen Stefanie. There best album is probably Tragic Kingdom and best song Dont
Speak.

AS for Dylan I was reffering to father- Bob and son Jakob's Wallflowers. One
of my favortie bands. Hope I was helpful.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 6:44:24 PM4/29/01
thefreak wrote:

> >So yeah, I guess there's no
> >hope for me! : )
>
> Dont be facetious:this is serious business we're talkin here :-)

; )

> >I'm not so sure. There's a lot of hype around all of these artists.
>
> That aint hype...it's been provin that all praise is worth it and the music has
> stood the test of time.

But if the music doesn't touch me (and it does, don't you worry), if it doesn't
mean more to me than what I hear everyday on Top 40 radio, then having them in my
collection has little value until I can really get into the songs on any kind of
real level. All the pleading in the world won't have much effect on the psyche's
own response to the sounds coming out of the speakers.

> >nothing about. That's why music remains my prime passion in life.
>
> cool! It used to be for me but little by little it's fading away, which I
> thought would never happen ;-(

Uh oh. Any particular reason you can see for that? I go through phases myself
where all I want to hear is classical (no, I'm not lying) or oldies or whatever.
That never happened before until just these past few years, so that seems like a
major change. It's not all bad, though, because now I'm in the
listen-to-what-I-haven't-listened-to-in-ages phase. Hence, I've transferred some
Talking Heads records to CD (I forgot how great the first few records were!). I
hope your musical fascination comes back with a vengeance soon!

> >But, I've got
> >some utter crap in my collection that I once thought the best there ever was.
>
> Me too: but I realize its crap and so do you. Thats the important gist that
> Mr Legend doesnt realize lol.

The thing is, er, some of the crappy music I have around me, erm, I actually, well,
sort of, still like. I know it's terrible, but I like it all the same. Well,
anyway, they say admitting you have a problem is half the battle, right?

> >But realizing what's "good"
> >takes time and everybody's musical tastes develop at different speeds.
>
> Good point! Thats al Im doing is heloing Legend, putting him up to speed if
> you will :-)

LOL! Judging by what I can only call his good nature, he probably appreciates it
more than anybody realizes! : ) He has pretty open and willing ears, as far as I
can tell. Anyway, this is an open invitation to anyone reading: if I ever mention
a band that sounds interesting to you, please please e-mail me and I'll make up a
little CD sampler and wing it out to you. A friend of mine just made a copy of an
out-of-print Radio Stars album that has me stunned, so I'm all up for foisting
stuff on other people and maybe speeding along the process, if anyone's open to the
idea.

> I help by forcing my bloated and opinionated tatses
> on some nice guy :-) But I do thjat to all my friends too so its not an attack
> but a show of love that I want to take the time to educate. Yes it sounds
> pompous, but thats me in a nutshell. Nice, but still pompous and self
> depreciating hehe.

Er, you don't sound pompous. You sound like me! LOL...

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 6:47:45 PM4/29/01
>Hm..... another misunderstanding..... I could've expanded my reason, but I
>guess I'll have to now.... they don't try to be glam rockers is what I was
>saying, there aren't very much black sunglasses on...

Not a misunderstanding. It was clear what I meant and you gave me an answer
that was delibrately not responding to what I said. I know what you meant but
it was just not the right thing to say

>I apologize for the stupidity of the person emailing you, but I wasn't the
>person who emailed you

The people who e-mailed me werent stupid. It was easy to make that assumption
based on what you said. You are insulting others for your own stupidity,

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 6:52:23 PM4/29/01
>"while you're busy," not "when" ... whoops

how dare you mess up on the great JOn Lennons line, I suggest we stone you and
throw you off a brodge. THe nerve when instead of while. I thought I knew
you.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 6:57:09 PM4/29/01

> Just because I dont like his voice doesnt mean I dont like Steven Tyler,
Robert
> Plant Mick Jagger or Bons Scott. PLease dont put words in my mouth which
> didnt say. I dont like Dave MAtthews voice, I do like diversity in
music. I
> dont like when in your attempt to defend Dave Matthews, you make it sound
like
> I am talkig about every singer with a distinct voice. When you dont have
any
> points to back up your arguement, dont make any, especially ones that have
> nothing to do with what I said.

Uh, Sir..... I wasn't even talking to you, what the hell is going on? I make
an argument, and you take it all so personally. Nothing in any of my
arguments are personally directed to you! Most of the regulars here know
that I like to ramble points off into space, with no personal agendas behind
them, just arguments that seem worthy of making about things I've heard in
the past in different locations, and have nothing to do with you. And
whatever idiot wrote you personally, is either some troll, or some asshole.
And this whole thing is probably because my arguments are related but not
intended to be apart of the current discussions. If there is an argument
that no one can make, because it'd be simply impossible. Then why not make
it to something related to it? Well because some people take it personally I
suppose.

You gotta learn how to at least try and settle things peacefully. Some
countries don't end up settling things peacefully and they end up in
paranoia for years, that one country is building atomic weapons to destroy
the other country.

I didn't spend my time making an argument to ruin your day, or to ruin mine.
I spent it for whatever people feel like reading or discussing, if some
idiot wants to take it up personally with you in email, I'm sorry, but
that's not my fault. I just went over a huge example of how
misunderstandings work, and you completely threw it off, and continue to
misunderstand the whole damn thing. It seems you and I both have alot to
learn, so why don't we both try learning from this, and not take things so
personal in constant misunderstandings. I don't really care if I like DMB,
and I don't care if you don't care if I like DMB, and I know you don't care,
so why take it so personally?

You gotta let people talk and make arguments in open forums without taking
something so personal. I didn't say anything personal about you, I said
nothing of your personal life whatsoever. I AM ARGUING OVER MUSIC FOR GOD
SAKE! I said nothing about you being stupid, crazy, or dumb. I did say you
were ignorant in my initial post, and I apologize, but yah know what....
we're all ignorant, so why take it personal? If you want to take something
personal, go take it up with someone who says you need a shrink, that was
VERY immature, and very uncalled for. Shrinks aren't for people who look at
things differently, or see a different point of view, there for people who
need help controlling psychological problems. And the only psychological
problem I've seen this entire week, is you taking an argument over music
that wasn't even more than 25% directed at you so personally, where you have
to act completely inappropriate to everything I say.

I do not want to ruin your day, and I do not want to ruin my day. I never
intended to make you look like you despise music. and I highly doubt anyone
would think you do unless they were as stupid as the person who wrote you.
Especially since your here in a U2 newsgroup enjoying the band's music like
everyonelse here.

Just take it easy, okay? I apologized several times, you don't need to start
any wars, because I'm not going to fight back. I've been trying to solve a
simple misunderstanding that you took personally in a peaceful manner. If
your so worried about looking bad, than I highly reccomend that you show
some understanding and peaceful compassion in a more mature manner before
you make us both look bad. Because if I can't get through to you to end this
on a positive note, then it makes me look bad, and like I failed, and if I
can't do that, then, it's obvious you can't end a silly misunderstanding in
a positive, peacful, and mature way. Maybe you can't because your too upset
with whatever email you got, but you've got to let stupid things like that
go.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 7:01:20 PM4/29/01
"Mr. Legend" wrote:

> I don't know what's going on here, all I know is that I've heard DMB's
> version once, thought it was ok. DMB is my second favorite band. I like
> Jimi's version much better. But I want to hear U2 play the song, but It's
> all just opinion stuff...... I doubt anyone here really cares.....

No, we care. Or at least I do, anyway I think what was merely a difference of
opinion (or, actually, a *perceived* difference of opinion) was blown out of
proportion, especially when it seems everyone agrees on the same basic points!!
: ) And then of course I weigh in so serious-like without having actually read
the first parts of the thread, so I end up responding to people's responses to
other people. Not the best way to go about doing it, I'll admit.

> The more different music you listen to, the better judgement you
> might have as to the general opinion of the entire world, and only by the
> entire world is it justified.

Yes, the more you've been exposed to, the better judgment you tend to have--not
always, but for the most part.

> Like say for instance, one day you thought heavy metal was
> to harsh, and you just couldn't stand the screaming, you soon become sort of
> desensitized, and then you enjoy it.

Or you buy some dusty Black Sabbath record from the used record store, plop it
on the turntable and are instantly blown away. This happened to me and changed
my life. Well, not really, but it was fun anyway.

Just for clarification, the following statement shouldn't be attributed to me as
I didn't write it.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 7:03:40 PM4/29/01
Michael wrote:

> how dare you mess up on the great JOn Lennons line, I suggest we stone you and
> throw you off a brodge. THe nerve when instead of while. I thought I knew
> you.

Man, I knew this was a tough crowd.... : )

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 7:09:42 PM4/29/01

> > Me too: but I realize its crap and so do you. Thats the important gist
that
> > Mr Legend doesnt realize lol.

LOL! Well, for some reason the music keeps getting better. I thought Peter
Gabriel's So album was awful, now I think it's pretty good. Yeah I suppose
there is alot of crap out there. But I just can't seem to look at it that
way. It's just the way I am. Oh well. Doesn't hurt me any. Except maybe a
little extra cash and alot of extra time. But as long as I think it's good,
then that's enough justification for me. The only song I can't stand is Row
Row Row Your Boat....for a day or two, it actually sounded good, but I came
to my senses and asked myself, what the hell am I thinking? This song is
more annoying than anything? Though I have to admit, I never got into that
Macarena song, I hate that song too. Don't know why.... Everyonelse seemed
to love it for a while. So at least there are some songs I don't like at
all.

> LOL! Judging by what I can only call his good nature, he probably
appreciates it
> more than anybody realizes! : ) He has pretty open and willing ears, as
far as I
> can tell.

Well thank you. I don't know if my liking nearly every song I hear is a
common thing or not> I hear alot of "I hate this, I hate that song". And
that just..... the kind of brings me down. I can see why someone might like
a song better than another. And I do that too. There's no way on earth I'd
be able to get away with liking every song the same, that's just impossible.
It's just that the songs I like the least, are very good songs in my
opinion. Addicted to noize?

A few days ago, I told someone that my goal in life was to hear every song
ever made. Then realizing, that it's impossible to do that. Oh well.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 7:14:22 PM4/29/01

> So have you heard Lennon's "Beautiful Boy," then?

Yup! It's an okay song.... Instant Karma is my favorite. What amazes me is
how beautiful he makes the songs "Love" and "Imagine" sound. They sound like
they're from a different world.

It's got a great lyric, "Life
> is what happens when you're busy making other plans" (later used in the
fairly
> ho-hum "Mr. Holland's Opus," I think).

That's a good quote. I think I just recently heard that on TV from
somewherelse too.
As for Mr. Holland's Opus...... I'm pretty sure he did say that in there.
Cause his son was def, and that whole John lennon dying thing, and his son
liked john lennon ect.....

Anyway, that one song in the movie what was it called? It's also on The
Edge's solo thing, I asked a question some months ago, if Edge got the name
from the movie, or the movie got the name from the edge, or they both got
the name from somethingelse. And someone said the name was some kind of
mythological thing? Can anyone provide any details, or know if it's in
relation to The Edge at all?

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 7:13:14 PM4/29/01
"Mr. Legend" wrote:

> Well thank you. I don't know if my liking nearly every song I hear is a
> common thing or not> I hear alot of "I hate this, I hate that song". And
> that just..... the kind of brings me down.

This is a really good point. I used to write record reviews for a local free
'zine type thing, and my only rule was to keep it as positive as possible. So I
ended up reviewing only those albums I really liked. I don't know if that was
the best choice, now that I think about it, but it certainly prevented me from
hating the work I was doing.

> A few days ago, I told someone that my goal in life was to hear every song
> ever made. Then realizing, that it's impossible to do that. Oh well.

Yeh, but think what a life you'd have trying to fulfill that goal! I think
every music fan has an unspoken quest like that one. We, all of us, are out
here scrounging through websites and magazines and other people's collections
looking for something amazing. Every day I'm doing this, and it's what keeps me
goin.

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 7:17:32 PM4/29/01
>thefreak wrote:

> That aint hype...it's been provin that all praise is worth it and the music
>has
>> stood the test of time.

>But if the music doesn't touch me (and it does, don't you worry), if it
>doesn't
>mean more to me than what I hear everyday on Top 40 radio, then having them
>in my
>collection has little value until I can really get into the songs on any kind
>of
>real level. All the pleading in the world won't have much effect on the
>psyche's
>own response to the sounds coming out of the speakers.

No wait..this is what I proved that story wrong. I am a big prince fan (dont
laugh till u hear some primo boots on his 'real" stuff without the flmaboyance)
and I got a good friend into him and he is now a big Prince fan after some
pleading and so called Freak schooling...it took a whiel but it worked and he
got me into Beck, recent Beasties, Becks genius and this new Daft Punk style
msuic (not techno but what? Ambient techno?)....so thats what I try to do..
just get the ear open and make you "hear" Jimi, prince, Rolling Stones etc. I
try to take the listener to the creative juices and studio feel of what was
going on at the time....its kinda hard to explain in words.

>The thing is, er, some of the crappy music I have around me, erm, I actually,
>well,
>sort of, still like.

Oh me too--I dig Manillow singin Mandy etc still.....I know its sappy, but I
like sappy :-)

>LOL! Judging by what I can only call his good nature, he probably
>appreciates it
>more than anybody realizes! : )

I odubt it--I came across to strong and he hasnt replied etc so i think Ive
turned him off--tis a shame cause Ive always read his posts while lurking and
Im really a great guy :-)

>That's why music remains my prime passion in life.
>>
>> cool! It used to be for me but little by little it's fading away, which I
>> thought would never happen ;-(

>Uh oh. Any particular reason you can see for that? I go through phases
>myself

well its mostly due to the fact that Im in grad school and dont have the funds
to just buy music etc like I used to...(as a matter of fact in between these
posst Im writing a reasearch papaer lol),and I have this madness that when I go
to the store for music theres so much that I want aand need that I sometimes
cant pick and end up leaving lol. Is that sick or what? It is like a curse.

> I go through phases myself
>where all I want to hear is classical (no, I'm not lying) or oldies or
>whatever.

I have a few classical...on accident though. it a few packages from tv that has
lie the important works of most of the greats like Bach, Wagner etc...and one
day I just decided to put em on real loud and damn! I was taken aback to
what great stuff it actualy is. Listening to real instruments etc and the
intricacies of it...I made a new discovery that day. As powerful as any power
chords or funk bas line.

>It's not all bad, though, because now I'm in the
>listen-to-what-I-haven't-listened-to-in-ages phase.

I hear ya.

>Hence, I've transferred some
>Talking Heads records to CD (I forgot how great the first few records were!).

How do you do that!!? Seriopusly, is it a special machine? If so I need one!

>hope your musical fascination comes back with a vengeance soon!

Oh it will, Im not dead in the water just yet....but sometimes I feel liek
throwin away everything for some reason...its weird..its so overwhelming
sometimes. I wish I had thge talent to play something etc.

>Yes it sounds
>> pompous, but thats me in a nutshell.

>Er, you don't sound pompous. You sound like me! LOL...

You sir are a god :-)

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 7:21:59 PM4/29/01

> I wont reply to the begining of that becasue I have no idea what the hell
youre
> talking about and I doubt that you would either.

Hey, it's okay if you don't know what I'm talking about, but that doesn't
give you a reason to get all upset over it. I am naturally prone to make it
difficult for other people to understand what I'm talking about because as I
said in a previous post in this newsgroup....I like to make it look like I
have no idea what I'm talking about, and make everyone think I don't....
because I do, and that gives me a little laugh. But some people don't have
that type of sense of humour, oh well..... it doesn't matter. Just don't get
so testy all the time. Take it easy. I don't mean anything against you, and
I sincerely have never met anyone to take things so personally over my
favorite thing of all time: Music. So this is a learning experience for me.
Maybe for you too. So again.... please chill. It's all good. No worries.

> Boston is a late 70s early 80s progressive rock band form Boston. They
use
> lots of synthezer and even more guitar. I recomend their self titled
debut.
> Their big hits were Peace of Mind, Foreplay/LongTime and more.
>
> Emerson Lake and Palmer another 70s progressive band. Keith Emrson was
one of
> the greatest keyboardist of all time. Carl Palmer is an exceptional
drummer
> and Greg lake is a good guitarist but a much better song writer. Brain
SAlad
> Surgery, Pictures at an exhibition and any of their best of are all great
> albums. THeir two most well known songs would probably be Lucky Man and
> KarnEvil 9 1st impression part 2.

Thanks! I will check those out too!

> No Doubt There best album is probably Tragic Kingdom and best song Dont
> Speak.

Oh duh, I know that song..... my bad. Didn't know they did it though.
Thanks.

> AS for Dylan I was reffering to father- Bob and son Jakob's Wallflowers.
One
> of my favortie bands. Hope I was helpful.

Yup, thanks. One Headlight, and..... 6th Avenue Heartache are some of the
best songs I've ever heard. Great band.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 7:20:58 PM4/29/01
"Mr. Legend" wrote:

> > So have you heard Lennon's "Beautiful Boy," then?
>
> Yup! It's an okay song.... Instant Karma is my favorite. What amazes me is
> how beautiful he makes the songs "Love" and "Imagine" sound. They sound like
> they're from a different world.

"Instant Karma" is one of my favorites, too. John's voice always seems so sad
and wistful to me (except when he's singing about Paul); you just know when he's
singing that it's coming directly from the heart. I could go on and on about
the complexity of U2 lyrics, but when it comes down to it I do prefer John's
simplicity.

> Anyway, that one song in the movie what was it called? It's also on The
> Edge's solo thing, I asked a question some months ago, if Edge got the name
> from the movie, or the movie got the name from the edge, or they both got
> the name from somethingelse. And someone said the name was some kind of
> mythological thing? Can anyone provide any details, or know if it's in
> relation to The Edge at all?

What song would that be then? I remember the thread, actually, but I can't
remember what song was being discussed. "Heroine"?

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 7:26:00 PM4/29/01

> The people who e-mailed me werent stupid. It was easy to make that
assumption
> based on what you said. You are insulting others for your own stupidity,

I could've sworn you were blaming me for the people who sent you those
emails, but now they aren't that bad anymore? What is wrong with you? You
just told me to f off ect ect ect ect... because you were upset over some
people sending you emails because you think I put words into your mouth and
I apologize for making you look like you hate DMB, but if that's so
upsetting for you, I really can't help you.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 7:30:03 PM4/29/01
> Or you buy some dusty Black Sabbath record from the used record store,
plop it
> on the turntable and are instantly blown away. This happened to me and
changed
> my life. Well, not really, but it was fun anyway.

Yes exactly! Finally someone who understands and doesn't take it personally!
Are you my twin?

> Just for clarification, the following statement shouldn't be attributed to
me as
> I didn't write it.

Oh, I know. I was just responding to "the freak", but I've already used up
alot of posts on trying to settle something in this same thread with a
different person, so I thought I'd just throw in the reply with it.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 7:33:27 PM4/29/01

> This is a really good point. I used to write record reviews for a local
free
> 'zine type thing, and my only rule was to keep it as positive as possible.
So I
> ended up reviewing only those albums I really liked. I don't know if that
was
> the best choice, now that I think about it, but it certainly prevented me
from
> hating the work I was doing.

I think I know what you mean by it maybe not being the best choice.....
cause most reviewers are usually critics. And I guess that's what your
supposed to do, but sometimes it's not all that enjoyable. I wrote a very
very very good and descriptive article on a band, it was all positive, and
didn't make the cut, simply because the head people thought of it simply as
a promotion, rather than a review.

> Yeh, but think what a life you'd have trying to fulfill that goal! I
think
> every music fan has an unspoken quest like that one. We, all of us, are
out
> here scrounging through websites and magazines and other people's
collections
> looking for something amazing. Every day I'm doing this, and it's what
keeps me
> goin.

Well that's cool!

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 7:32:09 PM4/29/01
>From: "Mr. Legend"

>The only song I can't stand is Row
>Row Row Your Boat....for a day or two, it actually sounded good, but I came
>to my senses and asked myself, what the hell am I thinking? This song is
>more annoying than anything?

Roflmaooo

>Though I have to admit, I never got into that
>Macarena song,

Thank god...ughh that song lol

>I hear alot of "I hate this, I hate that song". And
>that just..... the kind of brings me down.

Oddly enough I feel the same way....even some DMB I like.

>A few days ago, I told someone that my goal in life was to hear every song
>ever made. Then realizing, that it's impossible to do that. Oh well.

LOL--omg..another freak like me....after all is said and done youre pretty
alright :-)

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 7:34:43 PM4/29/01
>From: "Mr. Legend"

>as I
>said in a previous post in this newsgroup....I like to make it look like I
>have no idea what I'm talking about, and make everyone think I don't....
>because I do, and that gives me a little laugh.

Ahhh! A wiseguy have we here eh??

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 7:36:58 PM4/29/01

> "Instant Karma" is one of my favorites, too. John's voice always seems so
sad
> and wistful to me (except when he's singing about Paul); you just know
when he's
> singing that it's coming directly from the heart.

That song was written for Paul? I didn't know that. But yeah, I like the joy
in his voice too during that song!
Got a question for you, is that John that is doing the emotional stuff in
the coda of Hey Jude? Or Paul? I absolutely love the coda to that song. Some
of the greatest stuff I've ever heard. Infact though it's perfect the way it
is, it would've been nice to turn the coda into the bridge only to hear it
at full volume, and get a good listen at it.

> What song would that be then? I remember the thread, actually, but I
can't
> remember what song was being discussed. "Heroine"?

No thats not it, it was a woman's name. Can't think of it.

Mr. Legend

Apr 29, 2001, 7:55:49 PM4/29/01
What I think happened here, and may of attributed to the misunderstanding is
that when I replyed to you, I rewrote the subject header as Dave Matthews
Band. And that is simply because it wasn't any longer about All Along The
Watchtower instead it was about DMB. When I did this, it was no longer a
reply directed towards you, I sent it as a different thread all together,
just to talk about DMB and music, maybe your knew here, but I along with
others tend to also talk about music and other things rather than just U2.

Listen, I'm gonna be point blank with you here..... Whatever is wrong with
you today, I apologize for making it worse, I have wasted the space in the
newsgroup, I have wasted my time, and I have wasted your time. For the past
two hours I've tried to solve what was a small misunderstanding peacefully,
and I don't know why your not responding peacefully and bring it to a
conclusion on a positive note. I've brought up several examples, apologized
several times, and spent two hours or however long it was to clear this up.
And you don't see that I'd rather not run into another future discussion
with either of us holding any kind of grudge. Cause I don't like having
enemies at all. And I've already seen what grudges do. That is why it is
very important to me, to show some compassion here. I think we can all learn
something from this, and I hope that at least the time I wasted was spent on
people learning things about whatever.

I apologize again, and I sincerely wish I would've never replyed to you in
the manner that I did. I don't know who likes arguing music, and who
doesn't, who takes it personal, and who doesn't even read it. So for future
reference, I will be more sensitive in considering others.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 8:01:55 PM4/29/01
thefreak wrote:

> No wait..this is what I proved that story wrong. I am a big prince fan (dont
> laugh till u hear some primo boots on his 'real" stuff without the flmaboyance)

Er, "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and "If I Was Your Girlfriend" remain high on my list
of the best of the best of..whatever.

> and I got a good friend into him and he is now a big Prince fan after some
> pleading and so called Freak schooling...it took a whiel but it worked and he
> got me into Beck, recent Beasties, Becks genius and this new Daft Punk style
> msuic (not techno but what? Ambient techno?)

Daft Punk are amazing!! As are Air, I might add. The French have got the cool
sounds down, I tell you!

> ....so thats what I try to do..
> just get the ear open and make you "hear" Jimi, prince, Rolling Stones etc. I
> try to take the listener to the creative juices and studio feel of what was
> going on at the time....its kinda hard to explain in words.

If you get a chance, I wish you would explain. I mean, if I don't know much about,
say, Dr. John the Night Tripper but I know I like him, how do I get other people
into him without frightening everyone to pieces by throwing around the words gumbo
and New Orleans and swampy goodness over and over? That's the major reason I try
to lead people gently toward other influences until the best are left standing,
because I have the tendency now to just say, "But Musical Youth were just great,
that's all. 'Pass the Dutchie' is great. Great...great. Just listen to it."
I've lost all talent for talking about music! : ) Any help is much appreciated.

> Oh me too--I dig Manillow singin Mandy etc still.....I know its sappy, but I
> like sappy :-)

I do like that A-ha record quite a bit, and some Tom Jones...

> >LOL! Judging by what I can only call his good nature, he probably
> >appreciates it
> >more than anybody realizes! : )
>
> I odubt it--I came across to strong and he hasnt replied etc so i think Ive
> turned him off--tis a shame cause Ive always read his posts while lurking and
> Im really a great guy :-)

You both are alright by me. And, as I said in another message, you seem to be on
the same wavelength.

> well its mostly due to the fact that Im in grad school and dont have the funds
> to just buy music etc like I used to...(as a matter of fact in between these
> posst Im writing a reasearch papaer lol),

LOL! I once did a take-home Greek tragedy exam while having a discussion much like
this one. I'm on the grad school route myself next fall (or so I'm planning), so I
will probably be having the same experience you are right now. If local radio
wasn't so terrible I wouldn't mind so much, but as it is...

> and I have this madness that when I go
> to the store for music theres so much that I want aand need that I sometimes
> cant pick and end up leaving lol. Is that sick or what? It is like a curse.

Are you kidding?! This happens to me all the time. I walk in with a set amount.
The store has everything I ever wanted. I have no idea which to get and end up
leaving with nothing. Now, I go to used record stores where the pickings are a
might slim and I don't have to worry as much. Once you get that Master's though, I
know it'll be back in full swing!

> I have a few classical...on accident though. it a few packages from tv that has
> lie the important works of most of the greats like Bach, Wagner etc...and one
> day I just decided to put em on real loud and damn! I was taken aback to
> what great stuff it actualy is. Listening to real instruments etc and the
> intricacies of it...I made a new discovery that day. As powerful as any power
> chords or funk bas line.

Tell me about it. Wagner wrote some heavy heavy music. Bach ("Ah! Bach...") I
haven't explored much, but I want to. I'm also on a modern classical kick (Philip
Glass and that). Man, I just love music.

> >Hence, I've transferred some
> >Talking Heads records to CD (I forgot how great the first few records were!).
>
> How do you do that!!? Seriopusly, is it a special machine? If so I need one!

No, I bought a CD recorder as a stereo component (less than $300). It's got two
wells/decks so I can dub CDs quickly, but it also records from any other sources
hooked into the receiver: turntable, tape deck, etc. Of course, the CDs only
sound as good as the record, so there's pops and clicks, but I don't mind so much.
I just wanted to be able to listen without jumping up every 15 minutes to flip the
record, and it's great to have them for the car. I can't wait to put all those
bootlegs and mix tapes and such onto CD and so I can get rid of the tapes.

> You sir are a god :-)

I knew Bono was writing songs about me all these years!

Michael

Apr 29, 2001, 8:06:48 PM4/29/01
Im not upset that people e-mailed me, its just that you gave them the wrong
impression of me and that made me look dumb, young and foolish. That is what
made me want to tell yuo what I did. and thanks but I dont need nor want your
help

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 8:05:57 PM4/29/01
thefreak wrote:

> >A few days ago, I told someone that my goal in life was to hear every song
> >ever made. Then realizing, that it's impossible to do that. Oh well.
>
> LOL--omg..another freak like me....after all is said and done youre pretty
> alright :-)

And so it's settled, then, yeh? We are all a bit nuts about music. I don't know
if this is a good thing or a bad thing....

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 8:12:57 PM4/29/01
>From: "Mr. Legend"

Snip

Dude, why dont you quote to whomever your responding too? God. Are you "knew"
as well?

>maybe your knew here,

lol.....knew...due who are you tlaking too?

>but I along with
>others tend to also talk about music and other things rather than just U2.

I know youre not telling moi this.

thefreak

Apr 29, 2001, 8:14:00 PM4/29/01
>From: gala...@erols.com

>> LOL--omg..another freak like me....after all is said and done youre pretty
>> alright :-)
>
>And so it's settled, then, yeh? We are all a bit nuts about music. I don't
>know
>if this is a good thing or a bad thing....

Oh it cant be agood thing...not an ALL good thing lol.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 8:12:54 PM4/29/01
"Mr. Legend" wrote:

> > Or you buy some dusty Black Sabbath record from the used record store,
> plop it
> > on the turntable and are instantly blown away. This happened to me and
> changed
> > my life. Well, not really, but it was fun anyway.
>
> Yes exactly! Finally someone who understands and doesn't take it personally!
> Are you my twin?

I'd be a lot younger if I was, but, sure why not? I think exploring is the most
fun I have with music, and it seems like you feel that way too. That whole
process of finding out about great bands I didn't know existed before is more
exciting than listening to the same records (even though they are great and
godsends and everything good) everyday. Unfortunately, I sometimes come away
with electronic fluff, but other times I get Patti Smith or something.

gala...@erols.com

Apr 29, 2001, 8:24:43 PM4/29/01
"Mr. Legend" wrote:

> That song was written for Paul? I didn't know that. But yeah, I like the joy
> in his voice too during that song!

What? No, not "Instant Karma."! LOL! Sorry about that. I meant to say that
in most songs John sounds sad and sweet, except when he's singing about Paul
("How Do You Sleep?"). Actually, that's not really true because he's got quite
a few angry and painful songs, too (a couple on "Imagine" the album, "Steel &
Glass," "Cold Turkey" etc.). So disregard what I said before, I got carried
away with myself.

> Got a question for you, is that John that is doing the emotional stuff in
> the coda of Hey Jude? Or Paul? I absolutely love the coda to that song. Some
> of the greatest stuff I've ever heard. Infact though it's perfect the way it
> is, it would've been nice to turn the coda into the bridge only to hear it
> at full volume, and get a good listen at it.

Uh...<pulls out blue album>...<plays song> The "nah nah nah hey Jude" chorus
sounds like John and George (could be more there..Billy Preston...I don't
know). The singing over the top of that is definitely Paul, though. He had a
big fascination for Little Richard and sounds like him in a couple places at the
end of the song.

> No thats not it, it was a woman's name. Can't think of it.

I don't know then...

Andrea

Apr 30, 2001, 4:07:27 PM4/30/01
gala...@erols.com wrote:

<< "Instant Karma" is one of my favorites, too. John's voice always seems so sad and
wistful to me (except when he's singing about Paul); you just know when he's singing that
it's coming directly from the heart. I could go on and on about the complexity of U2
lyrics, but when it comes down to it I do prefer John's simplicity. >>

Totally agree! The one John Lennon song that tears my heart apart is and will always be
"Jealous Guy"... I also like "Mother" (brilliant song) and in general, all the "Mind
Games" album.

--
Andrea, The Proud U2 Fan

"Oh great ocean
Oh great sea
Run to the ocean
Run to the sea". - One Tree Hill

Mr. Legend

Apr 30, 2001, 5:31:24 PM4/30/01
>I also like "Mother" (brilliant song)

I agree, it's very good lyric writing!

> all the "Mind
> Games" album.

I like the song Mind Games....
especially...... when he sings... "playin those
MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND GAAAAAAMES
forever..........." Great song.
"Mah I ah eye eye ah eye eye ah eye ah IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIInnnnd gaaaaames...."

gala...@erols.com

Apr 30, 2001, 5:31:40 PM4/30/01
Andrea wrote:

> The one John Lennon song that tears my heart apart is and will always be
> "Jealous Guy"... I also like "Mother" (brilliant song) and in general, all the "Mind
> Games" album.

"Jealous Guy" is my absolute favorite of all John's songs!! I could listen to it every day
for the rest of my life and never grow tired of it. And I think "Mind Games" is a great
album, too. "Only people know just how to talk to people." John was so simple and
straightforward in everything he wrote, but I've always thought his songs had much more
emotional impact for that very reason.